National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Dallas may still  make the playoffs this year .... great offensive line ... and the NFC East is weeeeeeeak!

It is likely that Romo will likely play again this season ..... but will he go down again before or during the playoffs? That may be even more likely.

Rookie quarterbacks never look as good in the regular season as they do in the preseason. I don't think Dak Prescott will be that exceptional.

I can see the NYG putting 8 in the box against him in the season opener.

Minnesota can still win games without Bridgewater as Shaun Hill is more than adequate as a backup quarterback. And they have Adrian Peterson to lean on. Chicago and Detroit will remain uncompetitive. What happens if Rogers goes down?

There is no question that the quality of quarterback play is even more critical than ever.......and rarely does the NCAA prepare a quarterback for the speed and complexity of NFL defenses.

Mark Sanchez and Colin Kaepernick will probably get cut soon. Even though they are mediocre and overpaid they might still find themselves a job with a team desperate for more than a practice squad quarterback as their starter.

Hi, my name is Colin Kaeperdick and I like to pull the race card and not stand up for the national anthem because minorities in America are oppressed, but I like to wear a Fidel Castro shirt while I explain this because Cubans totally haven't been oppressed for about 50 years. Seriously, the 9ers need to cut this douche. Dosent help that he's a shitty QB either.

There's no benefit to the 49ers in cutting Colin Kaepernick, so they might as well keep him just in case they need him for this season.  They don't have to like him, and they definitely don't need to give him a platform for his beliefs, but cutting him and replacing him with another QB costs them both money and cap space.

That being said, I believe his NFL career is done after this year.  His comments have made him radioactive to the rest of the League, and he's not a good enough QB to overcome that.  Just ask former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe what happens when you choose to make yourself an advocate for a partisan and divisive issue.  If you're not an elite talent, most teams would prefer the guy with the lower profile because picking one side or the other offends a lot of people who would just as soon make their own choice to spend their money on someone who doesn't rock the boat.

There's no benefit to the 49ers in cutting Colin Kaepernick, 

I could be wrong but from what I heard if he's on the roster on day 1 of the regular season his 16 (or was it 14) million salary this year and his 2017 salary are guaranteed, if he's cut before that, he gets nothing.  Seems like a lot of money to pay a backup.

Edit - nevermind, guess April was the deadline.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

I could be wrong but from what I heard if he's on the roster on day 1 of the regular season his 16 (or was it 14) million salary this year and his 2017 salary are guaranteed, if he's cut before that, he gets nothing.  Seems like a lot of money to pay a backup.

Edit - nevermind, guess April was the deadline.

No you are not wrong. He will be kept on the roster as 14 million is a pittance. San Fran will gain nothing..... and not even a bag of footballs and a pail of spit. no team will take him now. Makes no sense as the 49's suck with him or without him

My NFL Tips Week 1

Panthers over Broncos

Falcons over Bucs

Ravens over Bills

Texans over Bears

Bengals over Jets

Eagles over Browns

Packers over Jags

Vikings over Titans

Chiefs over Chargers

Saints over Raiders

Seahawks over Dolphins

My Cowboys over Giants

Colts over Lions

Cardinals over Patriots

Steelers over Redskins

LA Rams over 49ers

I never liked NFL international games, despite the fact that I can watch them at lunchtime (I'm Spanish). But the teams that play these games usually perform below their average, maybe because of jet lag. If the Seahawks used to dislike their division game in St Louis (not anymore, I'm really sorry about St Louis fans :( )because they had to play two timezones ahead. How can they feel playing 8 timezones ahead after many hours of a plane?

And there are not enough fans in England or in the whole UK, to support a football team. Their sport is soccer, just that.

And if this new team was created, Would that mean an expansion?

Another NFL expansion seems impossible (I actually believe that 32 teams are fine for a league with 16 games in regular season.

Anyway. I don't see anything of this really happening. So don't worry.

Edited by charlijaen

Week 1 Game Predictions:

Panthers over Broncos 

Bucs over Falcons 

Bills over Ravens 

Texans over Bears 

Packers over Jags 

Chiefs over Chargers

Raiders over Saints 

Jets over Bengals 

Browns over Eagles 

Vikings over Titans 

Seahawks over Dolphins

Giants over Cowboys

Colts over Lions 

Steelers over Redskins 

Rams over 49ers 

Patriots over Cardinals (Upset of Week)

Week 1 Playoff Predictions 

AFC

1. Cincinnati Bengals (13-3)

2. New England Patriots (12-4)

3. Indianapolis Colts (12-4)

4. Kansas City Chiefs (11-5) 

5. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

6. New York Jets (11-5) 

NFC

1. Green Bay Packers (14-2)

2. Carolina Panthers (13-3) 

3. Arizona Cardinals (13-3)

4. Dallas Cowboys (9-7)

5. Seattle Seahawks (12-4) 

6. Minnesota Vikings (10-6) 

Worst Record: 3-13 49ers 

Potential Sleeper: Oakland Raiders

Final Four

Patriots and Bengals in AFC (Picking the Bengals even though I'm not convinced they won't choke, could be Steelers in their place.)

Packers and Seahawks in NFC 

Super Bowl

Patriots vs Packers 

Winner: Patriots (Score 31-27)

Week 1 Playoff Predictions 

AFC

1. Cincinnati Bengals (13-3)

2. New England Patriots (12-4)

3. Indianapolis Colts (12-4)

4. Kansas City Chiefs (11-5) 

5. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

6. New York Jets (11-5)

Have you looked at the Jets schedule?  They play three of those other five teams (Cincy, @KC, @Pittsburgh) in the first five weeks of the season.  They play both Seattle and Arizona in their first six games. The sixth challenge of their opening six games is a road trip to Buffalo on a short week (next Thursday, in fact).  Past that they have to play New England twice later in the year and travel to Indianapolis.

Pardon my french, but there's no fucking chance they're 11-5 this year.  5-11, maybe.  I wouldn't be shocked by an 0-6 start, to be honest.  But this isn't a playoff team, especially not with Ryan "I've played fewer playoff games than Tim Tebow has won!" Fitzpatrick at the helm waiting to come crashing back to Earth after last year.

Have you looked at the Jets schedule?  They play three of those other five teams (Cincy, @KC, @Pittsburgh) in the first five weeks of the season.  They play both Seattle and Arizona in their first six games. The sixth challenge of their opening six games is a road trip to Buffalo on a short week (next Thursday, in fact).  Past that they have to play New England twice later in the year and travel to Indianapolis.

Pardon my french, but there's no fucking chance they're 11-5 this year.  5-11, maybe.  I wouldn't be shocked by an 0-6 start, to be honest.  But this isn't a playoff team, especially not with Ryan "I've played fewer playoff games than Tim Tebow has won!" Fitzpatrick at the helm waiting to come crashing back to Earth after last year.

Yeah, I looked at it again. I may have miscalculated, but not by much. I think there going to split with New England and split with the Bills. They should sweep the Dolphins. Plus I give them a good shot vs the Colts especially with how beat up Andrew Luck will be by that point in the season. I think they have a shot at finishing the last 10 games of the season 9-1. As for the first 6 games, I can't argue with you a whole lot. But, with 10 days to prepare for a Chiefs team, even at Arrowhead, I think they have a real shot at winning that game. I also think they have the potential to win a grind it out game with Cincinnati Week 1 or Seattle Week 4, both of which are home games for NY. Seattle has proven in the past to be formidable at home, but sometimes on the road their play has been suspect. I see a best case scenario for the 1st 6 being 3-3 and worst case being 1-5. Absolute worst case scenario they should still finish 9-7. Best case scenario I can still see them finishing 11-5. You have to remember they picked up Forte who is getting up there in age but managed to average 4.1 yards/carry last season. They also have a top 10 defense which is easily in the top 3 at defending the run. If they fail to make it to 10-6 I could easily see the Broncos, Colts, or even the Raiders taking that 6th seed, all of which have the potential to go 10-6 this season. 

I enjoyed this game. Better than the Super Bowl. However, I think Cam's brains were a bit scrambled. He was acting weird at his post-game conference.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with those saying the NFL really failed that dipshit last night.  I can't stand Newton (when he's on the field) and watching Denver torture the guy twice in a row was wonderful.  Zero penalty yards for those helmet hits though, unacceptable.  If Brady took those same hits, every ref in the stadium, and probably a few in New York, would have thrown their flag, then took off their shirt, painted it yellow, and thrown that too.  Just another example of the league saying one thing (player safety is soooooooooooooo important) followed by their actions showing how little they actually care.

That being said, it was a great game, and thank you Denver for making sure there's no talk about the Panthers being undefeated this year.  On to Sunday.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

Not sure how much news it's been out of my local area but I guess the Hawks are planning a team statement during the anthem tomorrow.  I heard a rumor of what the plan was (don't really want to say it because it's just a rumor) but if it turns out to be accurate, I'd be proud to be a fan of theirs.

Aside from that, I can't shake the bad feeling I have about tomorrow's opener against the Dolphins.  Ifedi getting hurt is such horrible news, especially knowing Suh is coming to town.  Really hope Russell doesn't get "Suh'd" and have to miss a bunch of time.  Then it's the freakin' Rams next week.

I was browsing random sections of ESPN's NFL coverage last night and two betting stats jumped out at me:

• Today marks the first time in 25 years that the Arizona Cardinals are betting-line favorites for a regular-season game against the New England Patriots.  Yep, that last time really was in September of 1991.
  • San Francisco will likely be the underdog for their opener against the Rams -- yes, those Los Angeles Rams who are making their #1 overall pick a healthy scratch -- meaning they still haven't been a betting-line favorite for any game since Jim Harbaugh was fired.  And looking at their schedule, I'm not sure when that's going to change.

San Francisco will likely be the underdog for their opener against the Rams -- yes, those Los Angeles Rams who are making their #1 overall pick a healthy scratch -- meaning they still haven't been a betting-line favorite for any game since Jim Harbaugh was fired.  And looking at their schedule, I'm not sure when that's going to change.

I'd be pretty comfortable taking a "49ers win" bet if the odds were good.  The Rams' offense could be a huge mess and they seem to like playing to the level of their competition.