National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

LOVE Brandon Marshall going to the Giants!!  Absolutely can't wait to see Jackass A (ODB' jr) and jackass 1 (Brandon Marshall) using their epic jackassery to drag down the same team.  Poor poor Eli.

As a Jets fan who wishes evil things on Big Blue on a regular basis, I approve of this signing.  Brandon Marshall doesn't address what the Giants really need to work on -- here's a big hint, it's one of the same complaints you've had about the Seahawks recently -- and part of why he went to the Giants instead of somewhere like New England is so that he can continue to do his show on HBO.

I feel a little bad for Eli Manning.  I feel more bad for Ben McAdoo having to put up with the additional headaches that Jackass Junior and Jackass Senior are going to create for him.  (Sorry, skidmarkgn, your nomenclature is a little lacking in my opinion.)  But not that much for the latter, because the Giants have created this particular culture over the past few years and this is simply the logical extension point for it.

So the Bills have decided to keep QB Tyrod Taylor and are also signing Mike Tolbert reportedly to be a rb and not a fb.

Brain Hoyer is signing with the 49ers http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/id/18855570/quarterback-brian-hoyer-fullback-kyle-juszczyk-sign-san-francisco-49ers though have aren't commited on him being the starter, he reuintes with his former OC in Cleveland when he had his best season in his career ever 

47 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Actual footage of Brock Osweiler after getting the call that he is traded to the Browns:

giphy.gif

So, if I'm understanding correctly. The Browns traded for him and a 2nd round pick (no idea what they gave Houston), now they're shopping him around-ultimately hoping to land Jimmy G from the Pats- and if no one wants him they're going to release him... right?

4 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

So, if I'm understanding correctly. The Browns traded for him and a 2nd round pick (no idea what they gave Houston), now they're shopping him around-ultimately hoping to land Jimmy G from the Pats- and if no one wants him they're going to release him... right?

The Browns got Osweiler, a 2nd round pick, and a 6th round pick. The Texans got a 4th round pick in return. Yeah, it appears teams are actually calling and asking if Osweiler is available. The Browns are obviously going to listen to pretty much anyone who inquires about him. The hottest news off the press appears to state they are targeting Garoppolo, but I don't think New England is going to budge, especially if it is not at least a 1st round pick. If they cannot find a deal to their liking it was reported that they are cutting him. Either way, I think the Browns made a great trade here. 

15 minutes ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

The Browns got Osweiler, a 2nd round pick, and a 6th round pick. The Texans got a 4th round pick in return. Yeah, it appears teams are actually calling and asking if Osweiler is available. The Browns are obviously going to listen to pretty much anyone who inquires about him. The hottest news off the press appears to state they are targeting Garoppolo, but I don't think New England is going to budge, especially if it is not at least a 1st round pick. If they cannot find a deal to their liking it was reported that they are cutting him. Either way, I think the Browns made a great trade here. 

Didn't know about the picks, I just saw they were using their absurd amount of cap space to absorb his contract and get Houston off the hook.

3 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I believe they have the option to convert some of his base salary into roster bonuses and the like, which would reduce his salary cap hit if they traded him elsewhere instead of asking another team to eat the entire $16 million guaranteed.  And since the Browns entered today with $110 million in cap space, it's not like they're squeezed like other teams.  I don't see how they get Jimmy G, but they could probably get something halfway decent from another team if they eat enough of the money because Osweiler is probably better than a lot of the flotsam polluting the market.

And I expect there to be some sort of CBA "clarification" about this sort of deal, either in the near future or the next time a CBA is done.  Even though we see these sorts of deals all the time in other sports, the National Football League doesn't seem to like this idea way up in their Ivory Towers.

Can't figure out how to feel about Seattle's free agency conundrum.  On the one hand, the O-line somehow looks to be worse?  The one and only guy they signed has pretty much been confirmed as a bust already.  On the other hand, what the hell could they do when this year's theme has been overpaying the absolute shit outta O-lineman.  Okung's contract is a joke, Lang's contract is absurd, Whitworth's contract is insane... I'm running out of colorful words to describe all these O-line contracts but it seems obvious that Seattle can't afford any of them.  Which leaves the draft, where running backs and defensive ends are a-plenty, not so much for serviceable O-lineman.  The one positive I can see is that the growing pains for guys like Fant are (hopefully) now behind them and there's no where to go but up.  Also, the division has pretty much fallen apart and Seattle looks to be in New England territory for the time being, as in no real competition to be had :) 

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Also, the division has pretty much fallen apart and Seattle looks to be in New England territory for the time being, as in no real competition to be had :) 

What do you mean?  the Jets are read to compete in 202_.  And though having an incompetent division lays an easy road to the playoffs, it doesn't guarantee sb appearances.  So seattle can't rest on that. 

Having a great RB isn't going to matter if he is swallowed 3 yards back every time.  Lynch could make miracles with nothing to work with, but he is a once in a hundred lifetimes player.  Firing your RB coach for "under-producing" with "big head" stickers for lineman shows a detachment from reality.  Hopefully Carrol reattaches to reality (and I think politics had a bit to do with the firing) and works some magic on that OL.  Hurry up Carrol, I can only hold my breath for so long!

15 hours ago, dmsleight said:

What do you mean?  the Jets are read to compete in 202_.  And though having an incompetent division lays an easy road to the playoffs, it doesn't guarantee sb appearances.  So seattle can't rest on that. 

The way I look at it.  Last year they went 1-1 against the Rams, which absolutely should not happen again this year (fingers crossed) and 0-1-1 against Arizona, which I put on Hauschka (missed the easy FG game 1 and missed an extra point + a field goal in game 2, a 3 point loss).  Turn that 1-2-1 record into 4-0, or even 3-1 and they most likely take the #2 seed.  Who knows what woulda (coulda-shoulda, I know) happened then.  Taking division wins only adds to your chances for as many home field games as possible during the playoffs, which is a huge deal for Seattle.  So a weak division can't be overlooked... just ask New England :P

Also, Eddie Lacey huh?  Alright, don't love it, don't hate it either.  We'll see if Carroll and co. can keep him healthy and in shape.  Make him ditch the cheese and feast on fish I guess.

Raiders sign former Viking KR/WR Cordarrelle Patterson http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18902999/cordarrelle-patterson-oakland-raiders-agree-contract

and The Browns are reportedly interested on Geno Smith maybe as starting QB http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-reportedly-interested-in-former-jets-qb-geno-smith-possibly-for-starting-job/

Edited by I Am Error

On 3/13/2017 at 6:17 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Can't figure out how to feel about Seattle's free agency conundrum.  On the one hand, the O-line somehow looks to be worse?  The one and only guy they signed has pretty much been confirmed as a bust already.  On the other hand, what the hell could they do when this year's theme has been overpaying the absolute shit outta O-lineman.  Okung's contract is a joke, Lang's contract is absurd, Whitworth's contract is insane... I'm running out of colorful words to describe all these O-line contracts but it seems obvious that Seattle can't afford any of them.  Which leaves the draft, where running backs and defensive ends are a-plenty, not so much for serviceable O-lineman.  The one positive I can see is that the growing pains for guys like Fant are (hopefully) now behind them and there's no where to go but up.  Also, the division has pretty much fallen apart and Seattle looks to be in New England territory for the time being, as in no real competition to be had :) 

Don't worry, the Bengals have the worst o line in the NFL now. Have a bust that will probably start Left Tackle, a decent player at Left guard, the worst center in the nfl, Andre the retread Smith at Right Guard and Jake fisher at RT.  This team has basically said welp time to rebuild now. Just gonna sign cheap trash in free agency so they can keep their "precious" comp picks that will turn out to be useless garbage. This team is a fucking joke.

5 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So a weak division can't be overlooked... just ask New England :P

Also, Eddie Lacey huh?  Alright, don't love it, don't hate it either.  We'll see if Carroll and co. can keep him healthy and in shape.  Make him ditch the cheese and feast on fish I guess.

But they also were playing against team's practice squads call ups in the playoffs.

I'm not big on this deal.  I like his running style, but it doesn't matter if he can't get to the line of scrimmage.  They already have a full backfield.  Though some have flashed for different periods of time, no real standouts.  In the end, I just feel like this deal is a side step.

5 hours ago, I Am Error said:

Still hoping to see Smith play/start somewhere.

13 hours ago, dmsleight said:

But they also were playing against team's practice squads call ups in the playoffs.

I'm not big on this deal.  I like his running style, but it doesn't matter if he can't get to the line of scrimmage.  They already have a full backfield.  Though some have flashed for different periods of time, no real standouts.  In the end, I just feel like this deal is a side step.

I was referring more to how they go into the playoffs as a #1 or *gasp* #2 seed every year.  Having 6 basically gimmie wins absolutely helps that.

As with Lacey, if he stays healthy and fit, I like it.  One thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that Wilson was hurt last year and that affected the first half of the year tremendously.  When he's healthy enough to scramble and run teams have to change their usual tactics to account for him.  Read option, scramble plays, and straight QB runs... all gone.  Teams just stacked the box and used man coverage and Seattle had no answer.  With a healthy Wilson I'd expect Lacey to be able to do some damage just because defenses will have to account for Wilson and his oiled pig act.

I was just thinking about Garoppolo and his value.  Supposing that so many teams werent in need and there wasn't a desperation for a starting qb, what do you think his value would be?  And by that I mean, a team did need a starter, but wasn't frantic.

I was thinking a 2nd rounder would be the high end, a 3rd rounder would be fair, and a 4th would be the low end.

43 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

I was just thinking about Garoppolo and his value.  Supposing that so many teams werent in need and there wasn't a desperation for a starting qb, what do you think his value would be?  And by that I mean, a team did need a starter, but wasn't frantic.

I was thinking a 2nd rounder would be the high end, a 3rd rounder would be fair, and a 4th would be the low end.

I would not be surprised at all if the Patriots turned down a first-round pick from a team or two. Honestly, that's the market for him right now. You have to remember he was originally drafted by NE in the 2nd round, so they apparently believed he had talent. Since then his stock has only gone up considering he played well for two consecutive games last season and has been under the Brady/Belichick wing for years. Obviously, great play with NE doesn't usually translate to other teams, but you never know. Judging by the slew of mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL draft this year, Garoppolo clearly would have been the most desirable for any team in my eyes. I was watching an NFL draft analyst speak today and he said that based on talent alone no quarterbacks even deserve to be taken in the entire first round of the upcoming draft. Any of these QBs in the draft in the draft are a long shot and or 3+ year projects before they can play; at least Garoppolo has experience. 

47 minutes ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

I would not be surprised at all if the Patriots turned down a first-round pick from a team or two. Honestly, that's the market for him right now. You have to remember he was originally drafted by NE in the 2nd round, so they apparently believed he had talent. Since then his stock has only gone up considering he played well for two consecutive games last season and has been under the Brady/Belichick wing for years. Obviously, great play with NE doesn't usually translate to other teams, but you never know. Judging by the slew of mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL draft this year, Garoppolo clearly would have been the most desirable for any team in my eyes. I was watching an NFL draft analyst speak today and he said that based on talent alone no quarterbacks even deserve to be taken in the entire first round of the upcoming draft. Any of these QBs in the draft in the draft are a long shot and or 3+ year projects before they can play; at least Garoppolo has experience. 

This doesn't address my premise.  I was talking about his value in a sane/reasonable market.  2 games shouldn't make a player a draft morgage (ref: Cassel insanity).

7 hours ago, dmsleight said:

This doesn't address my premise.  I was talking about his value in a sane/reasonable market.  2 games shouldn't make a player a draft morgage (ref: Cassel insanity).

If anything getting hurt after only 2 games seems like it would be a red flag.  

In a sane market, I'd say 3rd round at best.  I just don't trust trying to elevate career backups.  Yeah, there's an argument to be had that he's only a career backup because of who he's behind but if he was that good and he knew it then why not at least vocalize a desire to try his hand at starting, not just sit and suckle at the free pass tit Brady and Belichik are providing.  It's just too rare for a backup to get a starter job and be anything but average to below average to give away anything of worth.  I'd rather keep my already average to below average QB for now and try to boost the running game and defense with the early draft picks.