National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

2 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

Last I checked the Yankees were the greatest team on earth considering they have the most chips of anybody but go on.

But that's still realvent  of how amazing the team has of how many years their team was which is why people hate the Yankees so much. People can't stand of how stacked the players are and very talented either win or lose. Patriots are pure class that people still don't want to look at the fact. At the end of the day, give ta thank you for haters like you for saying these other excuses of how you bash someone liking a team where it has already gives them motivation to show how excellent the team has, and wish the best player was on your team

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

56 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Falcons fans have to be furious about the missed facemask on the holding call that pushed them back from field goal range.  It gets called and the penalties cancel out and the Falcons (most likely) get their field goal try.  It was such an obvious foul too.

Not as blatantly obvious as when NE blocked the extra point and it was called back. Unfortunately, bad calls happen every game. If Falcons fans are "furious" over 3 potentially lost points then how do they feel about blowing a 25 point lead? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

But that's still revelating of how amazing thhe team has of how many years their team was which is why people hate the Yankees so much. People can't stand of how stacked the players are and very talented either win or lose. Patriots are pure class that people still don't want to look at the fact.

How are the Patriots classy? Are we talking about the same patriots that signed a guy who was released because of a DUI? 

3 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

How are the Patriots classy? Are we talking about the same patriots that signed a guy who was released because of a DUI? 

Though, not all players that has the bad rep that guy. The way of how they represent of the locker room, interviews, their reputation is so much better which is why Patriots are indeed class. That's why teams remove players who aren''t making a great role model like the Browns did of Johnny Manzel,

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

7 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

Last I checked the Yankees were the greatest team on earth considering they have the most chips of anybody but go on.

How do you go about cross-comparing the number of championships for different sports? You realize baseball doesn't even have a salary cap right? The Yankees bought all of those rings because they had to most money to spend. When you have the top pitchers and fielders in the league you are obviously going to win many titles. In a hard cap league like the NFL, you need to spend your money based on impact, making it much more difficult to construct and maintain a championship team. 

2 minutes ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

How do you go about cross-comparing the number of championships for different sports? You realize baseball doesn't even have a salary cap right? The Yankees bought all of those rings because they had to most money to spend. When you have the top pitchers and fielders in the league you are obviously going to win many titles. In a hard cap league like the NFL, you need to spend your money based on impact, making it much more difficult to construct and maintain a championship team. 

If they can buy a team then why don't the Yankees win the World Series every year? Right, because teams like the Cubs and Indians grow their own players instead of spending a boatload of money on aging veterans. The years of free agency and trades building championship teams are over. Money is not everything anymore. That's why the Lakers imploded on themselves because they thought Money and the city of LA would draw free agents in instead of being on a winning team. That's why bitch ass Kevin Durant signed with the Warriors. Like I said I give the Patriots credit for drafting some good players but they wouldn't be shit without Brady just as the Bulls wouldn't have and championships if it weren't for MJ.

2 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

If they can buy a team then why don't the Yankees win the World Series every year? Right, because teams like the Cubs and Indians grow their own players instead of spending a boatload of money on aging veterans. The years of free agency and trades building championship teams are over. Money is not everything anymore. That's why the Lakers imploded on themselves because they thought Money and the city of LA would draw free agents in instead of being on a winning team. That's why bitch ass Kevin Durant signed with the Warriors. Like I said I give the Patriots credit for drafting some good players but they wouldn't be shit without Brady just as the Bulls wouldn't have and championships if it weren't for MJ.

Never said things haven't changed in recent years. But in the late 90's/Early 00's that was the story. With that being said, theoretically, the Dodgers and Yankees should be splitting titles every year. How can a team like the A's with 90 million in salary hope to compete with the Dodgers who spend $225 million? The only way the possibly could is by drafting the right players and paying them close to nothing. Not only that, but there is a 53 man roster in the NFL as opposed to a 13 man roster such as in the NBA. In basketball, you find one player who can take over a game, along with 1-2 better than average players and you had yourself a championship team; at least until KD joined the Warriors. The NBA is slightly different anyway because there is a salary cap, but not a strict one. I am specifically talking about your baseball/football championship comparison. 

Think my talking about Falcons fans being furious got a little misinterpreted here.  I don't blame the game on that one call at all.  Like I said earlier, the Falcons had several chances to put the game out of reach (because somehow a 25 point lead wasn't enough to do that) and they straight pissed down their leg.  They have only themselves to blame for not stopping New England on the 4th down play on their 1st touchdown drive, or turning a botched onside kick into points, or getting into fieldgoal range and immediately moving backawrds until being out of fieldgoal range.  Just sayin', I know how hometeam fanbases are and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Falcons fans everywhere throwing a fit about that play.

3 hours ago, Rocko said:

And the final coaching position has been filled with the San Francisco 49ers hiring Kyle Shanahan

That was looking like a great grab until some of the decisions he made at the superbowl.  I remember hearing how, in the beginning of the season, the Falcons might be good despite Shanahan, then it went to the Falcons were so good because of Shanahan, but man... some of those playcalls.  3rd and 1 with a huge lead and you don't run it (instead take a strip-sack and give the Pats all the momentum in the world)?  Seems like Quinn of all people would have veto'd that play.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

That was looking like a great grab until some of the decisions he made at the superbowl.  I remember hearing how, in the beginning of the season, the Falcons might be good despite Shanahan, then it went to the Falcons were so good because of Shanahan, but man... some of those playcalls.  3rd and 1 with a huge lead and you don't run it (instead take a strip-sack and give the Pats all the momentum in the world)?  Seems like Quinn of all people would have veto'd that play.

It's a classic case of grabbing a guy while he's "hot".  A year ago?  There was chatter about firing him.  Two years ago?  He had just quit as Offensive Coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

I mean, kudos to Shanahan for cashing in and grabbing a gold ring while it's hanging out there for the taking.  But if San Francisco thinks they're getting the guy the Falcons enjoyed for most of this season and not the entire package that includes the guy many, many teams were happy to see go.... they're probably fooling themselves and they're probably wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acasser said:

It's a classic case of grabbing a guy while he's "hot".  A year ago?  There was chatter about firing him.  Two years ago?  He had just quit as Offensive Coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

I mean, kudos to Shanahan for cashing in and grabbing a gold ring while it's hanging out there for the taking.  But if San Francisco thinks they're getting the guy the Falcons enjoyed for most of this season and not the entire package that includes the guy many, many teams were happy to see go.... they're probably fooling themselves and they're probably wrong.

Which is fine by me.  Even though the feud is basically over (at least until the Seahawks are back to being bad) it's still fun to watch San Fran completely fall apart more and more every year.

13 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Which is fine by me.  Even though the feud is basically over (at least until the Seahawks are back to being bad) it's still fun to watch San Fran completely fall apart more and more every year.

For my part, I feel bad for the players and fans (in a general sense, as in because they are human beings, not because they are 49ers) who suffered from the worst team management I can think of.  But, as you say, I enjoy Seattle easily stepping over them every year.  Go Hawks!

My closest friend is a 49er fan.  I was comparing them a while ago, and I noticed that their fates are directly related.  They were great and on top while Seattle was awful when Sea joined the league.  As Sea got better, San got worse until the 2006 SB.  Then Sea started to slip a bit, and San started to rise again.  Then, recently San fell, and Sea returned to dominate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmsleight said:

Seahawks sign Blair Walsh.  I don't mind moving on from Hauschka, and this deal will not help resign him.  However, Walsh is not a capable replacement.  He was terrible last year before getting cut.  I hope they have a better option than him.

Interesting choice to sign, hopefully his head is back in it, he's not been the same since that infamous playoff miss 

28 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

Yeah, maybe the seahawks think that joining the team that started his downward spiral will return him to greatness...?

I feel that the team is going down and maybe they'll never reach the Super Bowl in many years.

I feel bad about this, because the potential is there, but going cheap in key positions doesn't help at all.

Last year they cut Clint Gresham (LS) and signed N. Freese; that caused Hauschka to miss several (not all) field goals and extra points. Also a dammed safety with direct snap to the end zone in a punt :facepalm:

So, now with Walsh forget about getting 90+% of accuracy in FG and PAT, so that will mean losing more games because of missed kicks.

Next year's FGs will always be a thrill rather than automatic :S

To make things worse, the O-Line, which in my opinion has a huge impact in the game, is a rookie package with 2 undrafted players, one of them being former NCAA Basketball player :huh: , George Fant (LT). I'm not blaming him, he just did what he could...

But one thing is clear, Russell Wilson can't take so many hits and there running plays usually go wrong because they can't open wholes. 

It doesn't help either that half of Marshawn Lynch's salary has been hitting this year's salary cap.

In terms of salary cap, just take a look at New England:

The key of the Patriots has been consistently changing and evolving the roster with the exception of a few franchise players (Brady, Gronk & Edelman). Also, Brady's salary is not that high, this way, the team has never struggled with salary cap issues.

Back to the Seahawks prohect for 2017:

I believe that the top picks of the draft MUST be Offensive Tackle, then CB or Safety in lower picks.

No need of RB (Rawls and Prosise look OK)

It would be interesting to sign a Kicker too, just in case they cut Walsh in preseason.

Next year, if there are no major injuries and the team gets a proper O-Line, the team could be a title contender again.

Edited by charlijaen

On 2/7/2017 at 8:55 AM, acasser said:

Agreed, but it's tough nowadays. What do you do? The great coaches aren't leaving their current positions. The fossils aren't worth the trouble. You have to generate excitement, but you also need competence. That's hard to find in a single person. The Niners have to take a gamble.

3 hours ago, charlijaen said:

In terms of salary cap, just take a look at New England:

The key of the Patriots has been consistently changing and evolving the roster with the exception of a few franchise players (Brady, Gronk & Edelman). Also, Brady's salary is not that high, this way, the team has never struggled with salary cap issues.

Nobody is better about under paying players and cutting them preemptively or at the first sign of decline.  They really are heartless about players, and that helps them win.  And players will continue to accept it because they will win there.

3 hours ago, charlijaen said:

I believe that the top picks of the draft MUST be Offensive Tackle, then CB or Safety in lower picks.

I think I recently reading the almost complete lack of worthy LTs (maybe even OTs?) in the first rounds...

5 minutes ago, dmsleight said:

I think I recently reading the almost complete lack of worthy LTs (maybe even OTs?) in the first rounds...

This is true. Viking fans may be more in tune than any others when it comes to O-line help via the 2017 NFL Draft.  After witnessing one of the worst O-line debacles of the last 30 years, many are hoping rookie saviors from the draft. Sadly, this draft is on the low end for overall line talent.  Early prognosticators have just a few linemen going in the first round.  There will decent players available in the mid-rounds but nothing you can solidly bank on.  

2 hours ago, dmsleight said:

I'd rather they look to sign a LT in free agency and just stick with what they have.  Let the guys have a couple years of working together and they will improve.  Keep shuffling, trading, and cutting and no cohesion will ever develop, and they will keep falling apart.  Also, college is such a different style that the O-lineman that do make it to the NFL almost always have to start from scratch and learn the NFL style.  Despite all my O-line bitching through the year, if they drafted a big, physical receiver, a big, physical corner, and some secondary depth, I'd personally be happy.

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'd rather they look to sign a LT in free agency and just stick with what they have.  Let the guys have a couple years of working together and they will improve.  Keep shuffling, trading, and cutting and no cohesion will ever develop, and they will keep falling apart.  Also, college is such a different style that the O-lineman that do make it to the NFL almost always have to start from scratch and learn the NFL style.  Despite all my O-line bitching through the year, if they drafted a big, physical receiver, a big, physical corner, and some secondary depth, I'd personally be happy.

If the Seahawks want a Offensive Tackle, they could always try to get that bum Ogubehi off the Bengals. I'm sure it wouldn't take much more than a bag of peanuts for him.