National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

On 2/26/2017 at 2:57 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Britt at center was the one bright spot this year.  Replacing him with an aging veteran would be a huge mistake.

The Jets didn't release Nick Mangold because he sucks.  They released him because they needed the cap space and because Mangold has been injured for a large chunk of the past few seasons.  He's still as cerebral a center as you'd like and a nice guy for a young QB to lean upon to recognise coverages and blitzes and the like; his problem is that he simply hasn't been able to stay on the field as frequently as he had in previous seasons.

He'd be a good pickup for a "win now" team that really needs a center.  He probably wouldn't be exorbitantly expensive, but you'd also have to plan against him being hurt because making him the linchpin of an offensive line is begging for issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acasser said:

The Jets didn't release Nick Mangold because he sucks.  They released him because they needed the cap space and because Mangold has been injured for a large chunk of the past few seasons.  He's still as cerebral a center as you'd like and a nice guy for a young QB to lean upon to recognise coverages and blitzes and the like; his problem is that he simply hasn't been able to stay on the field as frequently as he had in previous seasons.

He'd be a good pickup for a "win now" team that really needs a center.  He probably wouldn't be exorbitantly expensive, but you'd also have to plan against him being hurt because making him the linchpin of an offensive line is begging for issues.

Sounds a lot like Unger, who I missed at first but immediately got over when they moved Brit to the position.  Honestly, center is the last thing they need to worry about on the O-line.  Left tackle is the only position that I think free agency could be the solution for, everywhere else, either draft or let it ride and hope some familiarity will elevate them enough that Russ can have more than .5 seconds to get rid of the ball or a running back can maybe not be getting hit 3 yards behind scrimmage.

Cowboys are apparently looking at Josh McCown for a back-up QB spot.

Kinda ehhh about it, he's pretty close to 40 and he's got a spotty track record in staying healthy.

Spoiler

IT'LL BE LIKE ROMO NEVER LEFT

Edited by Death_Ninja
  • Like 1

The purge is on in full over in Florham Park as the Jets announce they're cutting Darrelle Revis.  They're really going to suck next year, but at least this time it will be by design and there will be no reason for us long-suffering Jets fans to get our hopes up.  B)

4 hours ago, Torracat83 said:

Thank you. Edited my post to drop mention of the thread.

Berry certainly deserves the money. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788318/article/eric-berry-chiefs-agree-to-sixyear-78-million-deal

He indeed does deserve the money, such a good player 

also The Vikings new stadium is also a big bird killer http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-vikings-sparkling-glass-stadium-is-killing-birds-at-an-alarming-rate/

Edited by Rocko

Think it's safe to say Seattle officially has a "Sherman" problem.  I just heard his blatant lie about the "I'll ruin your career" incident a while back and it's become apparent he's waltzing into distraction territory.  Pete needs to seriously consider trying to stop being the buddy and take Sherman to task.  If he gets pissed, then he gets pissed, if he wants out, he wants out.  His play last season showed some decline while his attitude and ego are doing the opposite.  

• Like 1

Call me cynical but I can't help but notice that Kaepernick has all of a sudden had a change of heart about his social injustice protests and will indeed stand for the anthem next year.  Nothing fishy at all about the timing of that at all right?  Guess it's not that important after all, freakin' scumbag.

And now the Jets announce that Brandon Marshall is gone.  The purge continues.  I suspect they'd like to cut Eric Decker as well, but his injury makes that difficult/impossible.

If I were Todd Bowles, I'd look to put my house on the market.  He's going to get fired after next season.

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Call me cynical but I can't help but notice that Kaepernick has all of a sudden had a change of heart about his social injustice protests and will indeed stand for the anthem next year.  Nothing fishy at all about the timing of that at all right?  Guess it's not that important after all, freakin' scumbag.

Don't they ask all fans in attendance to stand for the national anthem?  /rimshot

Kaepernick is trying to make himself less toxic to potential employers, as if THAT has any chance of succeeding at this point.  Mind you, it wouldn't be as much of an issue if he didn't suck, because teams will tolerate a fair amount if talent and results come with the package.  But Kaepernick isn't good enough to land a starter's job and I suspect most teams would rather have a backup who is better or a developmental project.  And Kaep ain't either of those.

I'd say that this change of heart made me lose respect for Kaepernick, but that would have obliged me to have some respect for him in the first place.

13 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Its all about the benjamins.  Of course his stock is quite low from owners ire (and fans), and his performance isn't going to help his cause.  Why the devil did he turn down the option?  He's not going to get paid more, and he is lilkely blacklisted (though, as already mentioned, his performance wasn't going to help his pay check). 

I could be wrong, but I think that rejecting the option was pretty foolish. And fans will likely not support him (unless he returns to rookie Kap success).  I have a feeling he might be a backup this year.

6 hours ago, dmsleight said:

Its all about the benjamins.  Of course his stock is quite low from owners ire (and fans), and his performance isn't going to help his cause.  Why the devil did he turn down the option?  He's not going to get paid more, and he is lilkely blacklisted (though, as already mentioned, his performance wasn't going to help his pay check). 

I could be wrong, but I think that rejecting the option was pretty foolish. And fans will likely not support him (unless he returns to rookie Kap success).  I have a feeling he might be a backup this year.

He declined the option for two reasons.

First, it gives him control over the spin of the story, that he opted out instead of San Francisco cutting him:  there is no guaranteed money left on his (revised) contract and the 49ers weren't likely to pay him the number said (revised) contract called for.

Second, it puts him out on the Free Agent market a little earlier.  It probably doesn't mean anything, but even a slight head start gives him opportunities that otherwise would have to wait for the beginning of the new League Year and the flooding of the market with guys who get cut and guys whose contracts expired.

14 hours ago, acasser said:

Kaepernick is trying to make himself less toxic to potential employers, as if THAT has any chance of succeeding at this point.  Mind you, it wouldn't be as much of an issue if he didn't suck, because teams will tolerate a fair amount if talent and results come with the package.  But Kaepernick isn't good enough to land a starter's job and I suspect most teams would rather have a backup who is better or a developmental project.  And Kaep ain't either of those.

I'd say that this change of heart made me lose respect for Kaepernick, but that would have obliged me to have some respect for him in the first place.

If I had to put odds on him landing a starting job... probably 50/50, and that that has n othing to do with his (lack thereof) talent.  The NFL right now is in a terrible, desperate place when it comes to QB's and I wouldn't put it past some team out there to be desperate and stupid enough to try.  Last year it was Osweiler, this year it looks to be Cousins (how freakin' gross is his salary this year?) and seeing what teams without a guy behind center are doing to try to get anything, I wouldn't rule out someone out there rolling the dice.  And losing.  Hard.

23 hours ago, acasser said:

He declined the option for two reasons.

First, it gives him control over the spin of the story, that he opted out instead of San Francisco cutting him:  there is no guaranteed money left on his (revised) contract and the 49ers weren't likely to pay him the number said (revised) contract called for.

Second, it puts him out on the Free Agent market a little earlier.  It probably doesn't mean anything, but even a slight head start gives him opportunities that otherwise would have to wait for the beginning of the new League Year and the flooding of the market with guys who get cut and guys whose contracts expired.

In other words, "you can't fire me!  I quit!"

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ugh, so Adrian Peterson is rumored to have said he'd take a huge salary discount to go to the Pats... whoopie.  Let's make the already ultra non-competitive AFC even more non-competitive'er.

He was due $18 million next season so any new contract would be considered a "huge salary discount." 

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ugh, so Adrian Peterson is rumored to have said he'd take a huge salary discount to go to the Pats... whoopie.  Let's make the already ultra non-competitive AFC even more non-competitive'er.

I think they would sign Brandom Marshall before they signed Peterson. But who knows, why not sign them both? :)