Uncharted trilogy remaster will have new difficulty setting: Brutal

Don't agree with this addition, and it has nothing to do with the (potential) addition of a brutal difficulty trophy (towards the platinum, or me not liking more of a challenge). The Uncharted series was known and iconic for its crushing mode - the hardest difficultly mode of all in the Uncharted games. Additionally, crushing was already a good challenge by itself, it wasn't easy and it wasn't incredibly hard, but it was in the above hard region. The Last of Us was Naughty Dog's first game and remaster (yes, a pattern with new difficulties in their remastered games, is forming) to include a new difficultly mode harder than the hardest one and it worked out great, especially since TLOU hadn't been out long enough to have its hardest mode become something iconic and used for several installments. It was even a generic difficultly mode unlike crushing from the Uncharted series, but the addition of a new difficultly in the Uncharted series.. it's just a bit childish and naive to add a new difficulty mode in Uncharted purely because of the fact that it worked well in their previous IPwithout considering other things: iconic-ness and staple of crushing, and buffing the difficultly in crushing instead. Lastly, the title, brutal, is more fitting for another difficulty in TLOU, because of the atmosphere and tone of that game's world. It just should have been put there, as grounded even sounds better for Uncharted.

This now means brutal will become the new hardest difficultly representing and known by fans of and in the Uncharted series (including being in Uncharted 4). Crushing losses its iconic-ness. If Naughty Dog was to ever actually go back on their word (which they have done several times) and end up making a new Jak game, that they just make hero mode harder, instead of adding a new mode that becomes the hardest. Well, I can actually settle down for super hero mode or precursor mode (just to maximize the originality of Jak's series, instead of giving an original series with an original story a generic titled difficulty mode like survivors.. in a survival game) as the hero mode part still retains itself in the new difficulty title and it's just essentially actually a harder version of hero mode without it feeling brand new. And the last reason why I would accept this is because it'd relate more to and reference Jak's (vaguely mentioned) status as a super hero (because he is a hero with super-human powers - super hero).

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

Dude, Uncharted MP trophies were just play 1 coop and 1 competitive. No skill was required. Unlike this Brutal difficulty. :P

This new difficulty will probably require you to offer blood to your PS4 every time you die just to contradict what i said.

Edited by hpknight

Don't agree with this addition, and it has nothing to do with the (potential) addition of a brutal difficulty trophy (towards the platinum, or me not liking more of a challenge). The Uncharted series was known and iconic for its crushing mode - the hardest difficultly mode of all in the Uncharted games.

What an odd opinion to have... I don't think I've ever seen anyone call the Crushing difficulty "iconic" before.  Or talk about it like some sort of sacred cow.

I'd say it's probably even more likely that most people who have the Uncharted games (since trophy hunters are in the minority when it comes to the gaming populace) never even looked at what the hardest difficulty was called.  It isn't even unlocked by default.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 4

What an odd opinion to have... I don't think I've ever seen anyone call the Crushing difficulty "iconic" before.  Or talk about it like some sort of sacred cow.

I'd say it's probably even more likely that most people who have the Uncharted games (since trophy hunters are in the minority when it comes to the gaming populace) never even looked at what the hardest difficulty was called.  It isn't even unlocked by default.

Not an odd opinion at all. And not seeing a person having shared a similar opinion doesn't mean other people haven't (it just means you in particular have not come across another similar opinion yet). "Sacred cow" is blowing things out of proportion, I was simply defending & referencing the Uncharted series hardest and iconic mode, crushing. (Or would me talking about a type of food I love and claims taste good, be me saying its the best food in the world or best thing in the world?) It's iconic because it has been a difficultly only, unless not only, known in all the Uncharted games since the first (iconic) old (iconic) game. It has remained to be the hardest difficulty in the Uncharted games since the first game back in 2007 (till 2013). Its name, permanency throughout each installment, and lifespan makes it iconic.

I'm the rare type of person who tends to think outside the box and consider all things in a given situation. That would be unnecessary considering the game series' unique hardest difficulty title. They wouldn't need to remember it because it'd most of the time naturally stick with people, because of its less generic title. Personally, I usually remember game's hardest difficulty with unique or less generic titles: Crysis series - Supersolider, Resistance series - Superhuman, Resident Evil 5 - Professional, Rage - Nightmare, Spec Ops: The Line - Fubar, etc. They all stick out because their names aren't as generic, so I disagree. I only remember (certain games with their really generic hardest diff- titles like) Call of Duty's hardest difficultly (Veteran) because of the series annual releases, The Legend of Korra's (Extreme) because it's one of my top 5 favorite PSN games (and cartoons in general), and Killzone's series because it's one one my favorite PS series, I've bought all the main installments, and I went through some "shit" with Killzone 2 and its platinum trophy. Most other games or series, even great games/series like inFAMOUS (my favorite series from last gen) I can't remember the hardest difficulty (it was probably hard) for, because of their generic-ness. Sure it may seem simple to remember simple names like "very hard", "super hard", etc, but when you play a large deal of games you tend to forgot those with those super simple and generic names, simply because it can apply to many different games (so you never know for sure.. unless you go back and play it).

Edited by Mar

Not an odd opinion at all. And not seeing a person having shared a similar opinion doesn't mean other people haven't (it just means you in particular have not come across another similar opinion yet). "Sacred cow" is blowing things out of proportion, I was simply defending & referencing the Uncharted series hardest and iconic mode, crushing. (Or would me talking about a type of food I love and claims taste good be me saying its the best food in the world or best thing in the world?) It's iconic because it has been a difficultly only, unless not only, known in all the Uncharted games since the first (iconic) old (iconic) game. It has remained to be the hardest difficulty in the Uncharted games since the first game back in 2007 (till 2013). Its name, permanency throughout each installment, and lifespan makes it iconic.

I'm the rare type of person who tends to think outside the box and consider all things in a given situation. That would be unnecessary considering the game series' unique hardest difficulty title. They wouldn't need to remember it because it'd most of the time naturally stick with people, because of its less generic title. Personally, I usually remember game's hardest difficulty with unique or less generic titles: Crysis series - Supersoilder, Resistance series - Superhuman, Resident Evil 5 - Professional, Rage - Nightmare, Speck Ops: The Line - Fubar, etc. They all stick out because their names aren't as generic, so I disagree. I only remember (certain games with their really generic hardest diff titles like) Call of Duty's hardest difficultly (Veteran) because of the series annual releases, The Legend of Korra's (Extreme) because it's one of my top 5 favorite PSN games (and cartoons), and Killzone series' because it's one one my favorite PS series, Ive bought all the main installments, and I went through some "shit" with Killzone 2 and its platinum trophy. Most other games or series, even great games/series like inFAMOUS (my favorite series from last gen) I can't remember the hardest difficulty (it was probably hard) because of its generic-ness. Sure it may seem simple to remember simple names like "very hard", "super hard", etc, but when you play a large deal of games you tend to forgot those with those super simple and generic names.

I didn't really need your history on the subject, the point is that no matter how rare and special you are for thinking outside the box, it doesn't change the fact that the Crushing difficulty is only "iconic" to you.

And this statement...

"The Uncharted series was known and iconic for its crushing mode - the hardest difficultly mode of all in the Uncharted games."

It's known and iconic for it's crushing mode... to you.  Which, in my opinion, was a key point to leave out if you're trying to claim Naughty Dog is doing any kind of injustice or poor decision making by implementing another difficulty level.

EDIT:  Just for kicks...

Definition of ICONIC
:  of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an icon
a :  widely recognized and well-established <an iconic brand name>

b :  widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence <an iconic writer><a region's iconic wines>

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Great, now I can get one-shot-killed in a whole other playthrough.

As long as the enemies are easier to see in this release. I gave up on 1 on PS3 because it was tiring having enemies swarm at you from fucking nowhere and kill you with a headshot from somewhere invisible across the map. Will wait for the collection before I start 2 and 3.

I didn't really need your history on the subject, the point is that no matter how rare and special you are for thinking outside the box, it doesn't change the fact that the Crushing difficulty is only "iconic" to you.

And this statement...

"The Uncharted series was known and iconic for its crushing mode - the hardest difficultly mode of all in the Uncharted games."

It's known and iconic for it's crushing mode... to you.  Which, in my opinion, was a key point to leave out if you're trying to claim Naughty Dog is doing any kind of injustice or poor decision making by implementing another difficulty level.

It was apparently needed since you called my opinion odd and couldn't understand it fully, so obviously it was needed. No, that is not the point, and I only said that to make it known that I don't have a narrow-minded perspective which is btw something that will have certain people think from mostly the same perspectives and unable to understand others when thinking outside theirs. You would be super delusional and ignorant for making that type of claim - only iconic to me, like, really? What I said wasn't even an opinion, it was a fact.. or do you not know how iconic things become iconic?

No.. it's generally iconic, which I already explained. And some advice, just because something isn't said, said enough, or said at all, doesn't make whatever is claimed not true or existent. It's common sense crushing mode is iconic to the Uncharted series. Iconic isn't something personal. And um... like I already said, they could have easily just buffed Crushing mode, but instead, because Grounded was a success with TLOU, they had to once again to it in Uncharted, but what you don't understand that is that im only saying this because its happening in a remastered collection. Adding this new difficulty in a remaster alters the essence of the games (something most developers AND publishers even admit to avoiding most of the time)... so it's not like im saying this in perspective of brutal being added to a sequel.

P.S. If my opinions are going to be challenged and if you have the will and effort to reply to them, then im going to go in-depth and try to explain myself or my point with detail (I mean this is what you grow up learning and being taught to do) and you (generally anyone) should be ready to embrace it and deal with it respectively.

Edited by Mar

Crushing mode was a reasonable challenge as others have said, not easy but not overly difficult either, with a few tough spots perhaps requiring a few attempts, but for me it started to get a bit tiresome.  All crushing mode did was give us bullet sponge enemies and give Nate a glass jaw...it got old, and having difficulty modes locked out is annoying too, but I suppose I can't really slate ND alone for that.  

The only games that did a difficulty spike well in recent memory were the Dead Space games, three saves for hardcore mode in 2 & one life in 3, it was tense at times and a good challenge.   There's probably a few others I'm forgetting but doing something like that for Brutal mode would be welcome, just no more unimaginative bullet sponges please.

It was apparently needed since you called my opinion odd and couldn't understand it fully, so obviously it was needed. No, that is not the point, and I only said that to make it known that I don't have a narrow-minded perspective which is btw something that will have certain people think from mostly the same perspectives and unable to understand others when thinking outside theirs. You would be super delusional and ignorant for making that type of claim - only iconic to me, like, really? What I said wasn't even an opinion, it was a fact.. or do you not know how iconic things become iconic?

No.. it's generally iconic, which I already explained. And some advice, just because something isn't said, said enough, or said at all, doesn't make whatever is claimed not true or existent. It's common sense crushing mode is iconic to the Uncharted series. Iconic isn't something personal. And um... like I already said, they could have easily just buffed Crushing mode, but instead, because Grounded was a success with TLOU, they had to once again to it in Uncharted, but what you don't understand that is that im only saying this because its happening in a remastered collection. Adding this new difficulty in a remaster alters the essence of the games (something most developers AND publishers even admit to avoiding most of the time)... so it's not like im saying this in perspective of brutal being added to a sequel.

I guess it's a good thing I put up the definition of 'iconic' then, because I don't think you're using it right.

For something to be "widely known or recognized", I think it would have to be known or recognized by more than just the rare, think outside the box types like yourself, eh?  Just because the term Crushing is used in all of the Uncharted games doesn't make it "iconic".  People would have to actually care/acknowledge it for that to be the case, which is supplemented by the point that the difficulty isn't even unlocked by default... the average gamer probably doesn't even know Uncharted has a difficulty named Crushing.  You're making it out to be much, much more significant than it is... and the point you're trying to make is hardly "a fact".

You're an odd person.  You have odd opinions, you place importance on odd things, and the more you try to explain yourself, the odder it all gets.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I guess it's a good thing I put up the definition of 'iconic' then, because I don't think you're using it right.

For something to be "widely known or recognized", I think it would have to be known or recognized by more than just the rare, think outside the box types like yourself, eh?  Just because the term Crushing is used in all of the Uncharted games doesn't make it "iconic".  People would have to actually care/acknowledge it for that to be the case.  You're making it out to be much, much more significant than it is... and what you're saying is hardly "a fact".

You're an odd person.

Iconic goes further than your definition, so my point still stands. The definitions you provided were insufficient. That single point wasn't why I said it was iconic. You know the funny thing is people actually do care about Uncharted's crushing mode (note: I said care, not overly care or really care, etc) so.... No, actually im not.. all I said is that it is an iconic mode so that's in no way making it out to be something "much, much more significant than it is".

Im an odd person because of what I've said? You're an odd person for calling me an odd person over that, as if im some type of different specie with a different way of talking or some shit. There was nothing odd about what I said. Being unique or different =/= odd, which also means considering things outside the norm and thinking differently than how most people think =/= make a person (me) odd. At least I came here with a fresh instead of common opinion -_-.

Edit: Noticed your edits. It never fails when people twist things. I didn't place importance on that, I simply talked about why I disagree with a brand-new difficulty being added to a game series via its remaster because it corrupts the essence of the original games and its natural (hardest) and long-term, series, established hardest difficultly. Im going to have to call you an idiot for calling me weird because of that and calling my opinions (which means my overall opinions instead of just this one) odd.

Edited by Mar

Iconic goes further than your definition, so my point still stands. The definitions you provided were insufficient. That single point wasn't why I said it was iconic. You know the funny thing is people actually do care about Uncharted's crushing mode (note: I said care, not overly care or really care, etc) so.... No, actually im not.. all I said is that it is an iconic mode so that's in no way making it out to be something "much, much more significant than it is".

Im an odd person because of what I've said? You're an odd person for calling me an odd person over that, as if im some type of different specie with a different way of talking or some shit. There was nothing odd about what I said. Being unique or different =/= odd, which also means considering things outside the norm and thinking differently than how most people think =/= make a person (me) odd. At least I came here with a fresh instead of common opinion -_-.

That's not my definition, that's the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition.  I'm not really sure what "sufficient" definitions you're cooking up in that head of yours... but understand that they may be straying from what the word 'iconic' actually means.

I'd say, in my opinion, it's far more likely that your average Playstation gamer has no idea what the hardest difficulty in Uncharted is called.  It's locked by default, they wouldn't even notice it.  And those that do "care about the mode"... care about the gameplay or trophy implications, not because the name has any sort of "widely acknowledged" or "iconic" meaning behind it.

As for the bold, I really don't care that you think I'm odd.  Just like you shouldn't care that I think you are.  Grow thicker skin.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

That's not my definition, that's the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition.  I'm not really sure what "sufficient" definitions you're cooking up in that head of yours... but understand that they seem to be straying from what the word 'iconic' actually means.

I'd say, in my opinion, it's far more likely that your average Playstation gamer has no idea what the hardest difficulty in the Uncharted is called.  And those that do probably do "care about the mode"... but not because it has a name FFS.

As for the bold, I really don't care that you think I'm odd.  Just like you shouldn't care that I think you are.  Grow thicker skin.

Considering the word average, yeah probably, but that's only average. Aside from this anyway, I rarely see anyone say "that one hardest difficultly in UC". Most people actually do seem to be aware of the name when I see discussions talking about the UC series' hardest mode, and this would obviously be because of the name of the mode - It sticks out thus it's harder to forget and easier to remember compared to most other games. This is COMMON SENSE, especially since this applies to a lot of other things in life - a beautiful looking woman or handsome man is going to stick out more than others around, a thug or trouble maker is going to... ok there is no reason why I should have to elaborate here. If you don't understand by now then that's just sad.

So because im defending why my opinions and I are not weird, I don't have thick skin? Do I seem to be heavily emotional and defensive over what you said? No, so my skin is quite thick already.

Considering the word average, yeah probably, but that's only average. Aside from this anyway, I rarely see anyone say "that one hardest difficultly in UC". Most people actually do seem to be aware of the name when I see discussions talking about the UC series' hardest mode, and this would obviously be because of the name of the mode - It sticks out thus it's harder to forget and easier to remember compared to most other games. This is COMMON SENSE, especially since this applies to a lot of other things in life - a beautiful looking woman or handsome man is going to stick out more than others around, a thug or trouble maker is going to... ok there is no reason why I should have to elaborate here. If you don't understand by now then that's just sad.

So because im defending why my opinions and I are not weird, I don't have thick skin? Do I seem to be heavily emotional and defensive over what you said? No, so my skin is quite thick already.

Calling something by its name doesn't make it "iconic".  I'm the only PleaseHoldOn here on PSNProfiles.  When people address me, they don't say "this guy on PSN Profiles".  Does that make me an "icon"?  Per the definition, "widely known/recognized" doesn't mean among the 10 people you happen to read on the forum.  I get what you're saying, I guess what I "don't understand by now" is why you give a fuck about this. xD  Even just going back to your original post, before we started talking.

And yes, you do seem emotional and defensive.  You wrote me an essay response about how special and unique and rare you are because of how you view difficulty levels in games, because I called your opinion odd.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Sounds like a challenge, I hope there is actually Brutal difficulty trophies. xD

:facepalm:

I hadn't even thought of difficulty related trophies aside from the trophy related to beating the game.

Oh man...what if they add something like "beat the game in a certain time" or "beat the game without dying".

I need to see the damn trophy lists now...

:facepalm:

I hadn't even thought of difficulty related trophies aside from the trophy related to beating the game.

Oh man...what if they add something like "beat the game in a certain time" or "beat the game without dying".

I need to see the damn trophy lists now...

"Beat the game without dying on Brutal" ;)

• Like 1