Uncharted trilogy remaster will have new difficulty setting: Brutal

Calling something by its name doesn't make it "iconic".  I'm the only PleaseHoldOn here on PSNProfiles.  When people address me, they don't say "this guy on PSN Profiles".  Does that make me an "icon"?  Per the definition, "widely known/recognized" doesn't mean among the 10 people you happen to read on the forum.  I get what you're saying, I guess what I "don't understand by now" is why you give a fuck about this. xD  Even just going back to your original post, before we started talking.

And yes, you do seem emotional and defensive.  You wrote me an essay response about how special and unique and rare you are because of how you view difficulty levels in games, because I called your opinion odd.

Trying to change the subject now eh? Your previous point was about the "average" not knowing what the exact name of UC's games hardest diff would be. I countered this by saying I've seen a lot of people refer to it by its actual, specific name, so that part my reply was not talking about iconicness, so what you said was pointless and irrelevant. You don't get why I give a fuck about this? So should I jump on the bandwagon and praise and accept this new difficultly mode instead? I know it's just a difficultly mode, but does that mean I should not have a strong opinion towards what I don't like about this specific change these developers are doing (just because it's a diff- mode, as opposed to, as an example, a drastic game-play change)?

Let me just say that I will still enjoy this mode, look forward to it, and hope it's similar to grounded but just not overly hard (aka non balanced/ broken) like COD:W@W Veteran's diff.

I'm not. Technically, that is false. My essay was more in relation to this issue I have with the remastered UC collection. I mean c'mon man, it was messed up to falsely claim it was more about why I said I *my perspective is different*. You even changed the wording and perspective of what it was I said to make it sound like something else which is not even the samething... lmao.

Edited by Mar

They may have all difficulties opened up straight away. Besides I always like to complete a normal run first to enjoy the story and as I have a terrible memory I can't really remember playing them 1st time round. So can't wait to play them again.

As regards to the extra difficulty, I guess they had to replace the 2 multiplayer trophies with something.

Got my copy on pre-order.

They may have all difficulties opened up straight away. Besides I always like to complete a normal run first to enjoy the story and as I have a terrible memory I can't really remember playing them 1st time round. So can't wait to play them again.

As regards to the extra difficulty, I guess they had to replace the 2 multiplayer trophies with something.

Got my copy on pre-order.

There has to be more than just Brutal. Not with this said about the game,

• New Trophies - Brand-new trophies created exclusively for UNCHARTED's debut on the PS4 system.

While Brutal will be a new addition but there must be more additions/alterations.

That's why i'm dreading something stupid like "time run" or "no dying run".

I didn't use a spoiler because I didn't find it "revealing" enough honestly. Plus if I use spoilers people might just look anyways to see what I said.

The rules says that it's better to hide rather than warn, I would have stickied to using the spoiler tag instead, but whatever.

Isn't this old news? it says it was posted on 16th July 2015 on that PushSquare page.

And every time I try to post a 2 days old news here the moderators always delete my posts -_-

Yeah, old news. Topic hasn't been closed or deleted yet either because no one bothered to find the previous.

Your post would only get deleted here if another member had already posted the news.

It was, but I think it was only done on the collection announcement, don't believe there was a specific post about it.

The rules says that it's better to hide rather than warn, I would have stickied to using the spoiler tag instead, but whatever.

Yeah, old news. Topic hasn't been closed or deleted yet either because no one bothered to find the previous.

It was, but I think it was only done on the collection announcement, don't believe there was a specific post about it.

I'm not sure if it counts as already posted if it's just been mentioned and not created as a thread

Considering this is Uncharted, I doubt Brutal will bring the kind of limitations that the Dead Space series' hardest difficultly has (limited checkpoints/you die you start over from beginning). They didn't even do this in The Last of Us, a survival game - perfect genre and situation for those kind of limited checkpoints - with grounded, so i'm more than sure brutal in the Uncharted games will just be your typical harder mode with tougher enemies, smarter AIs, farther spread out or reduced checkpoints, etc, etc.

Trophy wise, they do not have to make two more trophies to replace the online trophies that the original last two games had, however, a brutal difficultly trophy is a given, especially considering Uncharted 2 and 3 will both lose two trophies and the collection probably will need no patches (since it's purely single player... severe glitches would be the only reason for a patch or more) thus implementing now would be the smartest choice. Finish the game in Brutal Mode will come right after finish the game in Crushing Mode for all 3 games (if they put brutal in all 3). (If they for some reason decided to add one more trophy and it was a photo-mode related trophy, I'd lmao. Most likely won't happen, but if it does.....)

Hope this makes the platinum trophies in all 3 games harder to obtain (it will by default lol, but yeah), so people can stop saying Uncharted's Crushing mode was easy (easy means no challenge or difficultly whatsoever throughout the whole way, and you wouldn't die once during an easy mode run), even though that's not true. Hope it's not too brutal (;D) for some when they play.

Edited by Mar

Great! I'm looking forward to trying this new difficulty, since I love playing my favourite games on the hardest difficulty setting! It always feels so rewarding! I don't plat an Uncharted game since October 2012, so I'm super excited about being able to plat these great games again!  :)

I thought Crushing was easy. I'm actually looking forward to this new difficulty mode, just as I was looking forward to Grounded mode on The Last of Us, as I thought that Survivor was cheap. And Grounded did end up being quite tough, but was extremely doable.

Same here. Really looking forward too the new difficulty!

• Like 1

...so i'm more than sure brutal in the Uncharted games will just be your typical harder mode with tougher enemies, smarter AIs, farther spread out or reduced checkpoints, etc, etc...

I hope that's not true, it's effectively bullet sponge enemies, just even worse.   Smarter AI?  Surely the game should have 'smarter' Ai to begin with?  I could buy into less checkpoints as a start but I really hope Brutal mode throws up a bit more imagination than just cranking the wheel.

The holy trinity of easy/normal/hard game settings has served the industry well, and continues to do so, and probably always will, but devs, imo, could do with paying a little more attention to the mechanic, instead of just messing with the standard sliding scale of health pools and damage outputs.   Many have to be fair, with some nice ideas, but so many fall into the bullet sponge trap and it's, well, tired.

Whatever the mode turns out to be, and if U4 has it too, I hope U4 has the game play mechanics to compliment it.   As much as I like the franchise, I've complained more than once about it's clunky game play, average shooting mechanics, uneasy camera angles (usually when climbing), sluggish character movement at times etc..   I'd cringe at the thought of a no deaths run, purely because I could see myself jumping to my death because the camera lost perspective...and it's motivation!  :)

I'm not knocking ND, they do an awful lot of things right, and they've made top notch experiences, but if they could just sharpen up the gun play, make movement a little more fluid and put some imagination into this new mode then they could knock it out the park with both the trilogy & U4.

I thought Crushing was most difficult on Uncharted 2 but that was only the last few chapters other than that I didn't have much difficulty.

I'll definitely give Brutal difficulty a go though. Love me a new challenge especially on one of my favourite series'.

I hope that's not true, it's effectively bullet sponge enemies, just even worse.   Smarter AI?  Surely the game should have 'smarter' Ai to begin with?  I could buy into less checkpoints as a start but I really hope Brutal mode throws up a bit more imagination than just cranking the wheel.

The holy trinity of easy/normal/hard game settings has served the industry well, and continues to do so, and probably always will, but devs, imo, could do with paying a little more attention to the mechanic, instead of just messing with the standard sliding scale of health pools and damage outputs.   Many have to be fair, with some nice ideas, but so many fall into the bullet sponge trap and it's, well, tired.

Whatever the mode turns out to be, and if U4 has it too, I hope U4 has the game play mechanics to compliment it.   As much as I like the franchise, I've complained more than once about it's clunky game play, average shooting mechanics, uneasy camera angles (usually when climbing), sluggish character movement at times etc..   I'd cringe at the thought of a no deaths run, purely because I could see myself jumping to my death because the camera lost perspective...and it's motivation!   :)

I'm not knocking ND, they do an awful lot of things right, and they've made top notch experiences, but if they could just sharpen up the gun play, make movement a little more fluid and put some imagination into this new mode then they could knock it out the park with both the trilogy & U4.

Well these are usually the core elements of harder difficulties, including less checkpoints.

Nicely said, I agree.

Funny, the camera thing seems to be one of ND's weaknesses in game making. Yes, i'm not a fan of the limited save-points (difference from check-points) that the Dead Space series does for example.

Gun-play was (it's hardly mentioned and noticed) but MUCH better in UC3. People don't like the changes, which is weird since UC is partially a shooter game, but it had more life, impact, and less average'ness (lol?) than the past 2 games before it. UC4 seems to be stepping it up again (but with the same UC-layout-mechanic), so we'll just have to wait and see. A little more fluid controls might make the game (climbing game-play and such) easier? Meh, not really sure, but I definitely hate(d) the way Nathan felt after coming from the Jak and Daxter series back in 2007 in the first UC game. The Last of Us nor any of the Uncharted games have been able to surpasses the better feel and fluid character Jak from Jak and Daxter. Part of why Nathan does feel the way he does to is to probably play into the fact that he is not agile, athletic, or flexible. I notice these aspects do play into how a character feels in some games.

Well these are usually the core elements of harder difficulties, including less checkpoints.

Nicely said, I agree.

Funny, the camera thing seems to be one of ND's weaknesses in game making. Yes, i'm not a fan of the limited save-points (difference from check-points) that the Dead Space series does for example.

Gun-play was (it's hardly mentioned and noticed) but MUCH better in UC3. People don't like the changes, which is weird since UC is partially a shooter game, but it had more life, impact, and less average'ness (lol?) than the past 2 games before it. UC4 seems to be stepping it up again (but with the same UC-layout-mechanic), so we'll just have to wait and see. A little more fluid controls might make the game (climbing game-play and such) easier? Meh, not really sure, but I definitely hate(d) the way Nathan felt after coming from the Jak and Daxter series back in 2007 in the first UC game. The Last of Us nor any of the Uncharted games have been able to surpasses the better feel and fluid character Jak from Jak and Daxter. Part of why Nathan does feel the way he does to is to probably play into the fact that he is not agile, athletic, or flexible. I notice these aspects do play into how a character feels in some games.

I have no problem with the 'core' elements of harder difficulties themselves, but rather the reliance on them purely by themselves to create a further difficulty.  As I said, crushing mode offered nothing other than enemies that are harder to kill and Nate easier to kill...this is a fourth difficulty setting, surely by now ND can have a little more imagination than that, and brutal will be a fifth setting...

As for the camera, gun play and movement, I'm not saying they are overly bad per se, but across the 3 games it really hasn't improved that much if at all...and there is plenty room for that improvement.  When I say fluid movement I'm not expecting Nate to navigate the environment like the AC games for instance, some parkour style treasure hunter, and while I agree that it's not unreasonable to say the mechanic plays into the nature of the character, it's just general mundane game play movement that I find clunky, bumping into walls, or stuck trying to run up a ramp because there's a pixel in the way, or the fact Nate often feels like your trying to make quick direction changes whilst atop a tortoise...they could make this a lot smoother without making him feel like an Olympic gymnast!

The camera does need work, although I do appreciate the scope of the games and often how difficult it can be to cover all the necessary, or desired, perspectives, but it does let the games down at times.  Gun play just needs a little crisper action and sight precision, after all the adventure Nate has been on you would think he might be a little more adept by now, just tighten and speed up the mechanic, it doesn't need much but it's always been something notable for me.

Like I said, it's not anything that has ever ruined my time with the games, but if ND would just pay more attention to the general game play mechanics...we know they can deliver a setting and a rip roaring adventure, it's about time the general game play caught up with that.  U4?  It's hard to tell right now, and likely I'll need to play it to know for sure if there's decent improvements, but here's hoping.   I will be buying it, but please, no more Nate scrambling across set piece collapsing bridges!   :)

Edited by RedMustang72

I have no problem with the 'core' elements of harder difficulties themselves, but rather the reliance on them purely by themselves to create a further difficulty.  As I said, crushing mode offered nothing other than enemies that are harder to kill and Nate easier to kill...this is a fourth difficulty setting, surely by now ND can have a little more imagination than that, and brutal will be a fifth setting...

As for the camera, gun play and movement, I'm not saying they are overly bad per se, but across the 3 games it really hasn't improved that much if at all...and there is plenty room for that improvement.  When I say fluid movement I'm not expecting Nate to navigate the environment like the AC games for instance, some parkour style treasure hunter, and while I agree that it's not unreasonable to say the mechanic plays into the nature of the character, it's just general mundane game play movement that I find clunky, bumping into walls, or stuck trying to run up a ramp because there's a pixel in the way, or the fact Nate often feels like your trying to make quick direction changes whilst atop a tortoise...they could make this a lot smoother without making him feel like an Olympic gymnast!

The camera does need work, although I do appreciate the scope of the games and often how difficult it can be to cover all the necessary, or desired, perspectives, but it does let the games down at times.  Gun play just needs a little crisper action and sight precision, after all the adventure Nate has been on you would think he might be a little more adept by now, just tighten and speed up the mechanic, it doesn't need much but it's always been something notable for me.

Like I said, it's not anything that has ever ruined my time with the games, but if ND would just pay more attention to the general game play mechanics...we know they can deliver a setting and a rip roaring adventure, it's about time the general game play caught up with that.  U4?  It's hard to tell right now, and likely I'll need to play it to know for sure if there's decent improvements, but here's hoping.   I will be buying it, but please, no more Nate scrambling across set piece collapsing bridges!   :)

Yeah I feel the sameway.

The Assassin reference isn't what I had in mind, it was actually what you said after that.

Got lost after you included Nate, because of the way you included him in the gun play needs to be enhanced segment.

Pretty much, yes. UC4 specifically showed off some of their game-play additions and alterations though: Grappling Hook, vehicle driving, a much better stealth system, better shooting mechanics and a more realistic feel to the guns, interaction effects from bullets when it hits certain surfaces (which Just Cause 3 is also doing hehe), etc.

Yeah I feel the sameway.

The Assassin reference isn't what I had in mind, it was actually what you said after that.

Got lost after you included Nate, because of the way you included him in the gun play needs to be enhanced segment.

Pretty much, yes. UC4 specifically showed off some of their game-play additions and alterations though: Grappling Hook, vehicle driving, a much better stealth system, better shooting mechanics and a more realistic feel to the guns, interaction effects from bullets when it hits certain surfaces (which Just Cause 3 is also doing hehe), etc.

Yeah, I'm quietly confident that U4 will deliver better, tighter game play, but I would still need to play it to know for sure, regardless of the footage released so far.   That said, I will be buying it regardless!  Lol

• Like 1