Platinum or 100% which is more important to you?

Hocking_1988

For me, I usually just go for the platinum. It's partly because the platinum represents full completion of the base game and that's enough for me, and partly because I resent having to pay more for DLC. I think that if you've bought the game, you should have full access to all of the achievements without having to spend more for that sense of having finished the story.

Now I sound cheap :S

I prefer Platinums by a mile. I will go for 100% if I enjoy the game and dlc prices are reasonable. My main problem that here in the UK, to get all the dlc for a big game tends to mean spending more on dlc than you do originally on the game. Too many companies are making dlc to rinse the player for money... Bethesda did one of the best things I've seen with wolfenstein the old blood, by releasing a prequel to the new order at £15 where as if anyone else would have done it it would have been more like £45. And it pretty much is a dlc to the new order

For me, I usually just go for the platinum. It's partly because the platinum represents full completion of the base game and that's enough for me, and partly because I resent having to pay more for DLC. I think that if you've bought the game, you should have full access to all of the achievements without having to spend more for that sense of having finished the story.

Now I sound cheap :S

Or the dlcs dont count unless you own the dlcs.

I prefer Platinums by a mile. I will go for 100% if I enjoy the game and dlc prices are reasonable. My main problem that here in the UK, to get all the dlc for a big game tends to mean spending more on dlc than you do originally on the game. Too many companies are making dlc to rinse the player for money... Bethesda did one of the best things I've seen with wolfenstein the old blood, by releasing a prequel to the new order at £15 where as if anyone else would have done it it would have been more like £45. And it pretty much is a dlc to the new order

Thats why I pretty much refuse to pay for dlcs unless it comes with a GOTY edition or they are actually really well done.

Prefer getting the Platinum... DLC is getting ridiculous these days....

B)

I doubt people would have any issues with DLC if they had the money for it! For instance if you were dirty rich I doubt you'd pass up on any DLC content on your favorite games, I know I wouldn't! Then again, I always get the DLC! :P

• Like 1

Platinums have the higher priority. I only pick up dlcs if they are cheap or the game is really awesome. Sometimes I buy them but don't really care

to finish them, since some are kinda boring or take too long. Need for speed most wanted is a good example for that. Driving for hours on the same

courses just for a bronze trophy is just annoying and gives me no motivation compared to the hunt for a platinum.

• Like 1

Platinum, by far.  I'll get 100% in a game in only 1 of 2 ways.  Either if the game has no DLC (:P) or if there's a GOTY, Complete, Definitive, etc... Edition that comes with ALL DLC (please take note that some games offer these named editions and still leave out DLC).

I almost never buy DLC, partly cause I think it's stupid and partly because I almost never buy digital.  For the vast majority of games I've played, the DLC is lame bullshit anyway that barely, if at all, adds any joy to a game or relevant narrative to the story.  Borderlands 2 is the only exception I can think of at the moment, and I've played quite a few games on PS3, Vita, and 360.

Also, one of the major reasons I basically abandoned my 360 to game almost exclusively on my PS3 was because there's a Platinum trophy.  I got so sick of 1000Ging a game just to have some shitty $10 DLC drop 6 months after the game came out and then I was stuck no longer having 'completed' the game.  Many people mistake me for a trophy hunter, when I'm in fact a Completionist, so you can see just how frustrating it is to have done everything in a game, well beyond the trophies and achievements, just to have the dev sneak up from behind and tell me 'Nope'.  On PS3 and Vita I ALWAYS get the plat, and when I don't have the DLC, I have no trophies for the DLC, so it becomes very clear to anyone who looks at my trophy card that I have completed the content I own.  And the thing is, as mentioned before, most of the time the DLC is just downright terrible, but yes, I would still buy and play it if I had the money to waste.  As I buy almost all my games on disc, and none for more than $20, and most for well under that price, I'm not spending $10-$50 on DLC alone.  I'll get the GOTY edition, or whatever, and knock out that DLC with the main game, as long as I can do it for $19.99 or less, but I will almost never pay for overpriced shitty content, that most of the time is a shameless cash grab in the first place that makes the story, and game as a whole, worse (at best).

• Like 3

Platinum, by far.  I'll get 100% in a game in only 1 of 2 ways.  Either if the game has no DLC ( :P) or if there's a GOTY, Complete, Definitive, etc... Edition that comes with ALL DLC (please take note that some games offer these named editions and still leave out DLC).

I almost never buy DLC, partly cause I think it's stupid and partly because I almost never buy digital.  For the vast majority of games I've played, the DLC is lame bullshit anyway that barely, if at all, adds any joy to a game or relevant narrative to the story.  Borderlands 2 is the only exception I can think of at the moment, and I've played quite a few games on PS3, Vita, and 360.

Also, one of the major reasons I basically abandoned my 360 to game almost exclusively on my PS3 was because there's a Platinum trophy.  I got so sick of 1000Ging a game just to have some shitty $10 DLC drop 6 months after the game came out and then I was stuck no longer having 'completed' the game.  Many people mistake me for a trophy hunter, when I'm in fact a Completionist, so you can see just how frustrating it is to have done everything in a game, well beyond the trophies and achievements, just to have the dev sneak up from behind and tell me 'Nope'.  On PS3 and Vita I ALWAYS get the plat, and when I don't have the DLC, I have no trophies for the DLC, so it becomes very clear to anyone who looks at my trophy card that I have completed the content I own.  And the thing is, as mentioned before, most of the time the DLC is just downright terrible, but yes, I would still buy and play it if I had the money to waste.  As I buy almost all my games on disc, and none for more than $20, and most for well under that price, I'm not spending $10-$50 on DLC alone.  I'll get the GOTY edition, or whatever, and knock out that DLC with the main game, as long as I can do it for $19.99 or less, but I will almost never pay for overpriced shitty content, that most of the time is a shameless cash grab in the first place that makes the story, and game as a whole, worse (at best).

You pretty much summed it upped.

I doubt people would have any issues with DLC if they had the money for it! For instance if you were dirty rich I doubt you'd pass up on any DLC content on your favorite games, I know I wouldn't! Then again, I always get the DLC! :P

I would always have been much against it, even if I had the money for it. Let's say it had been free content... hmm, that's a more difficult case. I don't think I always would have liked it.

As for what is more important to me, 100% base game.

The DLC, unless it's a stand-alone, is an add-on for the game. Thus, it is a part of the game. Thus, if you have not completed it, you have not completed the game.

It's not a part of the game if it doesn't come with whatever you bought. While I understand skipping DLC on complete editions (or free DLCs) sounds like a half assed job, I won't drop extra cash to experience the game fully. I already paid for the full experience buying the game, no? I won't support cutting content to sell as DLC practice, like they did with Destiny or TLOU. Can't really believe that the very few game modes those game had were anything like unnintentional, if you ask me.

• Like 1

The platinum is what is most important for me, since that's the topic. However, it eats me inside not having the 100% completion also. Some games I have to walk away from at the platinum, such as the Uncharteds. I'm not going to not play a game I enjoy just because of an excessive grind for the 100% and I dislike boosting myself. It feels like I didn't earn it. I stay within my bounds. I do as much as I can in a game, then walk away. Platinum first, 100% secondary (or maybe not).

It's not a part of the game if it doesn't come with whatever you bought. While I understand skipping DLC on complete editions (or free DLCs) sounds like a half assed job, I won't drop extra cash to experience the game fully. I already paid for the full experience buying the game, no? I won't support cutting content to sell as DLC practice, like they did with Destiny or TLOU. Can't really believe that the very few game modes those game had were anything like unnintentional, if you ask me.

Absolutely it is part of the game as most games offer a season pass since almost all games have some sort of DLC. Purchasing the season pass with the main game is the "Full Experience" to me since that is how I buy games. If you pass on the DLC you pass on the "Full Experience" of the game. Like buying a "lite app" instead of the "full app". Everybody sees it differently and to each their own.

100% matters more than platinums to me since plats are on the path to 100%. Plus 100% is validation that you have completed just about everything a game has to offer. 

In my opinion, I prefer to have a Platinum over 100% 

If the game has a story DLC like Mass Effect games or Dragon Age Inquisition then I'll prob. go for the 100%

But if the DLC are map packs doing online grinding for a trophy then is not appealing to me. I only have a certain amount of free time so I like to get the platinum if I can and then move on to the next game. 

Absolutely it is part of the game as most games offer a season pass since almost all games have some sort of DLC. Purchasing the season pass with the main game is the "Full Experience" to me since that is how I buy games. If you pass on the DLC you pass on the "Full Experience" of the game. Like buying a "lite app" instead of the "full app". Everybody sees it differently and to each their own.

100% matters more than platinums to me since plats are on the path to 100%. Plus 100% is validation that you have completed just about everything a game has to offer. 

My bad, I didn't rephrase my answer which sounded confusing. It is a part of the game because it was added to it, the same way a newborn children is part of the family post birth, but what I meant was about having completed your 'journey' with the game when you bought the vanilla content. I buy the base game and nothing else, I get the platinum for it and nothing else, haven't I finished what I've paid for?

Being a completionist I go for 100%

To weigh in on the whole "DLC is not part of the game" discussion through-out this topic;

DLC is not part of the main game no. But it adds to it. Expanding the life of the game. A lot of the time yes, devs abuse DLC and rip shit from the complete game and add it as DLC (Asura's Wrath).

However, they are all a business at the end of the day. They do this to earn more money. Don't want it? Don't buy it. If they want to add trophies and you dont want to pay for it.....then just accept that.

A game is 100% complete when you are personally done with it (Story/Side stuff/Online etc). A trophy list is 100% complete when you have ALL trophies

Edited by Kazeh54

My bad, I didn't rephrase my answer which sounded confusing. It is a part of the game because it was added to it, the same way a newborn children is part of the family post birth, but what I meant was about having completed your 'journey' with the game when you bought the vanilla content. I buy the base game and nothing else, I get the platinum for it and nothing else, haven't I finished what I've paid for?

With the rephrasing of your comment I can clearly see and understand your side! You are correct you have finished what you paid for and you have completed a personal 100%. Unfortunately there are not 2 scales to measure completion and DLC counts.... Honestly I used to despise DLC and never pay for it, but now that I am in a gaming group I always have help on DLC's regardless of the game.

With the rephrasing of your comment I can clearly see and understand your side! You are correct you have finished what you paid for and you have completed a personal 100%. Unfortunately there are not 2 scales to measure completion and DLC counts.... Honestly I used to despise DLC and never pay for it, but now that I am in a gaming group I always have help on DLC's regardless of the game.

Yeah, it was a reply to madbuk and it felt weird off context, reason why I rephrased it. Certainly, it's impossible to affirm that the things-to-do in the game will be incomplete without the DLCs, but I still feel quite happy to have accomplished whatever I've paid for. Been there, done that, that's my ditto.

Edited by TheYuriG