The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

TLDR; Fuck this stupid, short-sighted, poorly managed company. I wasn't very impressed by Takeover, and actually thought Summerslam could top it, but boy did they drop every ball within a 100 mile radius of Brooklyn. At least there's still NJPW.

Ooh you also forgot making Crews look like a complete joke. He could actually be a player down the road but they have damaged him really badly since bringing him up.

Summerslam was really bad besides the AJ v. Cena, Ambrose v. Ziggler, and Bálor vs. Rollins matches.

The Sasha v Charlotte match was just a mess of a match that makes Charlotte look like she doesn't know what she's doing, it seems like most of her moves were botched and it look like she really hurt Sasha.

The New Day v. The Club match had a chance at being a good storytelling match. Both Xavier and Kofi are good wrestlers who rarely tag together v the Club who are one of the best Tag Teams in the world. The storytelling should have been great and if they wanted the new day to look strong they could have busted out a new tag finisher (Xavier's "lost in the woods" +  Kofi's "trouble in paradise" = "lost in paradise"), but no we get a DQ by Big E coming bake to save Jon Stewart.

Everything else was sub-par or just bad.

If Ziggler doesn't turn by Tuesday, he's dead. He's dead already, but at that point you might as well just cut him and give his spot to a jobber people care about, like Slater.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. But then again, Ziggler had no business being in a match of this caliber. Maybe thats why the crowd was so dead for this one. Who can actually look at Dolph Ziggler today and see him as main event material? Seriously. I felt the attitude of the crowd was, "Yeah okay, Ziggler loses, can we just move on already"? Which really was heartbreaking for fans of Ambrose like myself, because I really wanted this match to be one of the better things of the night. This match should have been good. But it sucked.

So Sasha is out for a month to heal her nagging, lower back, injuries. If that's the case, I'm ok with her dropping the belt. Charlotte will likely face Bayley now, then Bayley and Sasha can start a slow build afterwards.

Also, Finn Balor suffered a shoulder injury last night. I guess it happened when Seth threw him into the barricade. Word is he may need surgery (hopefully it isn't that bad).

Wow, a lot of doom and gloom here, not sure I get it.  Most everything everyone's so pissed about doesn't really seem worthy of the hate to me.  

Charlotte went over, not that big of a deal.  Had Sasha gone over she'd be 2-0 against Charlotte and the feud loses some of its potency.  Now, they're 1-1 and they can go another month before settling it.  If anything, they got the booking backwards, Charlotte should have went over on RAW and Sasha should have won the title yesterday.  The result would still be the same though, 1-1 with one more match to go.

AJ went over Cena.  Not seeing any complaints but this kind of segues into another point, which is...

Ambrose over Dolph.  No one expected Dolph to go over and if he did everyone would be even more pissed.  The build of this match was excellent and I personally believe it rebuilt Ziggler, not into the next top guy on Smackdown, but into a perfect stop-gap guy before an AJ/Ambrose feud can (and should) start.  

RAW being displayed as the superior show doesn't really bug me either.  We're still reeeeally early into the brand split and SummerSlam being the 1st PPV didn't help.  Having a duel brand PPV put out a "competition" vibe and I'm not sure that's the goal.  I'm personally willing to give it a brand specific PPV or 2 before judging the whole thing.  If, by the time they've done a few everyone is super-stoked on the RAW PPVs and completely flat for a Smackdown PPV then yeah, it was a failure and maybe another draft would be necessary.  If not, then mission accomplished.

The midcard stuff was fine for being just that.  I'm so tired of everyone expecting half the roster to be top guys.  Workers being put onto the midcard isn't a crime, Miz and Crews are perfect being booked exactly where they are, same with Rusev and KO.  Having talented guys on the midcard helps to elevate it.  Every once in a while someone rises to the top, and sometimes they're unjustly pushed back down (KO is a great example).  A main event scene should only really have 2-4 guys at any given time, otherwise it doesn't really stand out.

Finally, Takeover was still a great show.  Maybe everyone's numb because they always set the bar so high but there was so much good that came from that show.  Itami/Aries is a perfect feud for both guys.  Ember Moon looked like yet another solid female worker to help fiil the call-up void.  Nakamura deservedly replaced Balor as the guy and Roode showed why his debut was so highly anticipated.

I don't know.  I guess I'm kind of understanding why the powers that be seem like they don't give a crap anymore.  Everyone just focuses on the bad and ignores the good.

Whoops, almost forgot Orton/Lesnar.  Again, I have no problem with Brock taking out Shane.  They apparently needed to write him off of TV and attacking an executive is the easiest way.  He obviously can't attack Steph, Foley had no reason to be in the ring and Bryan can't take bumps, especially from Lesnar.  So who's left?  Shane, the guy who's made his entire career doing insane spots and taking even more insane bumps.  

The one thing I can get on board with is this being the last match.  I'm honestly to the point with Lesnar that I wish Orton would have pulled a Jarrett/Hogan and just laid down when the bell rang.  A statement needs to be made by the wrestlers and Orton's a guy who wouldn't get completely destroyed by mgmt if he were the first to make it.  Brock's unsafe.  Brock's overpaid.  Brock's held to completely different standards.  Guys need to start refusing to work with him.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 2

Man it was one of the worst PPV ever... 4 hours of CRAP except for 2 or 3 matches... And wait, what was that "15 years in the yadayada" things? A 10 minutes of suplexes, boring chants and a TKO cause he was in a pool of blood (fake or not, don't care)? 2 months of hype for this crap match, really?

Think it might be time to remove Rollins' corner bomb from his move list.

Cena,Sting and now Finn? Grumpy old Bret Hart might have been right about Seth. He need's to at least stop doing the corner powerbomb.

Cena was at least partially to blame for leaning into the knee. Sting's bump card was full, and he had an undiagnosed condition. Finn put his arm out to catch himself too soon. Seth's done the same move many times and never hurt anyone, because they haven't tried to catch themselves. I've listened to wrestlers talk about the move, and from what I've heard, it's extremely safe, as long as you take it correctly. I don't think there's an issue with Seth being unsafe. There are surely guys that are safer, but to call him reckless seems to go too far.

In any event, it's a shame that Bálor's out for 4-6 months. He was getting a career making push, this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Also, the Dudleys are now legitimately out of WWE. Don't know if they're truly retired, but they're done with the company.

Cena was at least partially to blame for leaning into the knee. Sting's bump card was full, and he had an undiagnosed condition. Finn put his arm out to catch himself too soon. Seth's done the same move many times and never hurt anyone, because they haven't tried to catch themselves. I've listened to wrestlers talk about the move, and from what I've heard, it's extremely safe, as long as you take it correctly. I don't think there's an issue with Seth being unsafe. There are surely guys that are safer, but to call him reckless seems to go too far.

In any event, it's a shame that Bálor's out for 4-6 months. He was getting a career making push, this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Also, the Dudleys are now legitimately out of WWE. Don't know if they're truly retired, but they're done with the company.

It is a lot like the Style's Clash. People were getting seriously hurt taking the move because they didn't know how to take it properly.

I never said Seth was unsafe, I said it's probably time to stop doing the move that has caused multiple injuries in a short amount of time.  Any move is safe if executed properly, the problem is if it isn't perfectly executed then people seem to get injured pretty frequently.  Seth is diverse enough that discontinuing one move wouldn't hurt his in-ring performances at all.  I doubt many people would even notice.

PIPEBOMB or A WORK?

If this was a shoot, I'm way too disgusted by the Miz to be impressed. He called your style boring, a sentiment shared by many if not most of the people that watch WWE, hence your position on the card and the silence during your matches. So? There's a reason why his Summerslam match went 5 minutes, and why nobody is clamoring for another Miz WWE title run (at least they weren't yesterday). There's a big difference between voicing disapproval with someone's work, and screaming "why don't you quit and go wrestle in bingo halls" at a guy whose brain is damaged. If the only response you can come up with is the mother of all low blows, then I'm not going to praise you. To call Bryan a coward for going all out and giving everything he had to wrestling is just cheap and gross.

If it's a work, I don't know why he went from "I'm here for the fans" to "the fans are all cowards", I imagine he was just emotional and unable to control himself. Good on them for pulling that off, and I'd be especially impressed with Bryan, considering how fresh that wound still is. Miz's mic skills are great, and he's one of the best pure heels in the company. If this was planned, they did a damn good job of making it look legit.

I've read a lot of people praising Miz's ringwork (because he never gets hurt), which confounds me. There is a way to be both safe and worth watching. Styles and Nakamura are both safe, and I'm pretty sure Rollins has only missed time for one freak injury. Also pretty sure Miz has had numerous concussions, as injuries are just a part of the business. The WWE style hasn't kept Cena, HHH, Barrett, or plenty of other guys with simplistic move-sets from getting hurt. Just because the guy doesn't get hurt, doesn't mean he's any good. He does wrestle like someone who doesn't want to get hit. He's soft and uninteresting. I respect the guy's work ethic, but I don't appreciate his wrestling whatsoever.

• Like 1