We Play Freedom Wars

To improve upon what Urushiro said, you don't need a light weapon for automatically breaking pods. Any weapon works to my knowledge it just changes the text to "gauge break". If you see those words you can auto-rescue the citizen.

On another note, I love my Barbaras but want a change of pace; I'm making an AAW-??? Rocket thing. I remember someone here said it was great.

All online trophies done too! No more stressing over online haha.

Edited by TigressLion

Answers for the Discussion #1:

1- What's your thoughts regarding the premise of Freedom Wars? About overpopulation and wars over valuable resources?
Seams an interesting concept, since it's somewhat a different take on a post-apocalyptic setting (or at least I think that's close to it, still the On High thing makes me confuse on how the world came to be and how it's structured, since I think there's more to it then the Panopticon groups or something..). In a case like this it's normal for people to fight over resources, but the thing of considering everything, including people as resources and at the same time making it a prison setting makes it odd.. in a way it's like the weak (civilians) have power over the strong (sinners), yet no one is free, since the civilians get abducted all the time and the sinners have to fight to get them back.. This is also something that I don't understand on the On High point of view, since Beatrice mentioned that On High abduct people because they need their resources, but didn't explained much on it.. and from what I understood On High is technological heaven (the place where all technology is made), so they wouldn't need to be gathering more intelligent people (again civilians)..

2- What do you think about the story? Are you liking it so far?
I'm liking it, since it allows to somewhat related a bit with some characters, although the start felt really slow, and some missions or things seam to appear randomly.. but that's the life of a sinner, I guess..

3- Thoughts on the absurd sentence system?
I'm unsure on this.. the sentence system may sound absurd, but how long do they live and what an "year" actually mean in this universe? Those things may make it more logical, since apparently no one seams to be able to die anyway..

4- What do you think of the 1984-level of surveillance in Panopticons?
I think that it's absurd, but going along with the absurd setting + penalty system and sentence system, it fits well.. Also I still don't understand what makes a sinner a sinner.. or you are born a sinner in this world?

5- Thoughts on the characters? Do you have a favorite one?
Well for now, Beatrice and Uwe are probably my favorites.. All in all, they all seam unique in some way, but there's not much interaction with a lot of them from what I noticed, so it's kind of hard to get to know some of them.

6- What's your take on the concept of Sinner being accompanied by an "accessory" that monitors them all the time-- even during sleep?
Well, the concept of them being accompanied by an accessory is essentially the same as the bracelets used for home detention nowadays, they just made it more useful and in human shape.. really that's the basic of the idea, but I think that the accessory ends up being more then that, because in a way it can end up being treated as a person to some extent.. Still the surveillance being recorded at all times is a bit creepy..

7- Are you enjoying the gameplay? Does the third-person perspective fit well with style of the game?
Yes, and yes, I don't think it would work well with other perspective IMO.

8- How are the missions going along? Did you acquire good gear?
Missions are going well, only had a minor problem with the 1st mission that was a competition to rescue civilians because I was to slow (nor aggressive enough).. I think that I have some decent gear, but would want much better one..

9- Did you experience any difficulty spikes during the missions?
Not really, the optional Ops are harder then normal, but that was expected, same with the special Ops (I think those are best saved for post-game..).. Other then that, I may have had a little problem adjusting to some mission types when I played them for the 1st time..

10- How are finding the presentation (visuals and audio)? Is it great for a handheld console such as the Vita?
So far it's good, both visual and audio, specially the music.. and Yes, it works perfectly on the Vita!

11- Did you try multi-player yet? If so, how does playing with real people compare with the game's A.I.?
No, not yet (only entered a lobby for 1 trophy), will wait a bit longer until I try the online.

I'm somewhere at the start of Code 5 now, didn't do the 1st mission yet.. 

Will probably take that tip and try the rocket launcher on my accessory..

And my duo:

2015-12-07-165604.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, I am almost up to the 1st checkpoint, but I am starting to get lost.

If you have the Quick Travel Entitlement press the square button to open the map and there should be an asterisk as to where to go next. I wish the game had told me that when I got the entitlement as I wasted some time looking where to go as well.

Reached the first checkpoint yesterday and now I remember why I left the game. It would have been better if the game started with the option of having Sinners being in your party. I'll get into the discussion in the spoilers but I seem to be one of the few that isn't in love with the game so far.

1- What's your thoughts regarding the premise of Freedom Wars? About overpopulation and wars over valuable resources?

The sentence system doesn't make much sense, but I'll get into that on the third question. Even though the story is about overpopulation, the dystopian story doesn't take advantage of it. A large portion of the population appears to work as Sinners while the rest are imprudent nerds. It's a bare bones social clash without much in it because there's no characters with depth so far. The only main valuable resource that has been shown in three chapters has been nerds and I don't care about saving yuppies. The Panopticon looked like a generic large steel mill city based on the “Retribution” cutscene yet Kill la Kill's Honnō City and Attack on Titan's Walls demonstrated the social class difference clearly and uniquely.

Three chapters in and there hasn't been much story so far. The first chapter was a tutorial, the second set up the club of sinners, and the third had the mystery of a crucified girl. I got a bit into the fourth chapter and it didn't make sense for Beatrice to be in that position. Heck, she was easily put into the sinners system without anyone from the government noticing that she's missing. Hopefully something of importance happens or this could rival Hyperdimenision Noire: Goddess Black Heart in being pointless.

The sentence system is pretty stupid if you stop to think about it. The game is set one-hundred-thousand years in the future yet there's some sinners that have sentences of over two-million years. Unless humanity has evolved to a point where they live more than a million years, which doesn't seem likely as it's only been one-hundred-thousand years, the sentencing should have been limited to either a thousand years or less. Heck, this system mainly exists just to create a social class conflict. It would have been better if they ripped off Gataca as that film has a social class system as there is a social class system that would fit in terms of a person's agency.

4- What do you think of the 1984-level of surveillance in Panopticons?

Freedom Wars's surveillance system is a farce in comparison to the one set in Orwell's 1984. One of the main phrases of Orwell's story is “Big Brother is watching you”; this phrase is used to persuade the populace of Oceania that the Party is taking care of them like family, but the doublespeak behind the phrase is that the government is monitoring acts of individuality. Freedom Wars removes any subtlaty of spying and puts that in the forefront and just makes the government look foolish. As to why the sinners haven't revolted with their weapons is beyond me and the government keeps screwing up by making basic functions like your partner's gear being limited be a fault of your own rather than for efficiency.

Aside from Uwe being the mentor and someone called Carlos that sticks out for a name that would be common in Los Angeles, there's really no one I like so far. Aeris is interesting but I don't know what her plan is to revolt or how Beatrice plays into that.

6- What's your take on the concept of Sinner being accompanied by an "accessory" that monitors them all the time-- even during sleep?

Freedom Wars's Sinner and Accessory relationship reminds me of Psycho Pass's Inspector and Enforcer relationship, and then I'm reminded as to why I like the latter and why the former is quite shallow. An Inspector holds the life of the Enforcer in their hands and can kill them, yet can become an Enforcer through psychological trauma. Not only that but both individuals are able to learn from each other and grow more as a human. An Accessory just watches a Sinner and reports any violation of some code, with a small drop added to the ocean of the ridiculous sentence. It also appears that an Accessory can be kidnapped and easily replaced so I wouldn't care much if it happens to mine as she has no humanity and I doubt the story will allow that to develop.

7- Are you enjoying the gameplay? Does the third-person perspective fit well with style of the game?

So far the game hasn't been challenging as I found out that shooting from a high ledge works to stay away from enemy range. Taking two minutes to kill the same repeated monster got boring real quick but the game has spiced up with team-members being added so that should speed up the kills, hopefully the game will give me a different thing to kill soon.

As I'll state later the missions seem to take in only a few locations. After three chapters I got about a dozen copies of the same machine gun and a saw blade that is barely better than my beginning blade. I'll check later to see if I could buy a better weapon.

Not really as my strategy of hiding up a ledge, shooting, picking up ammo, repeat, etc. hasn't failed me yet. Until the game presents an enemy immune to bullets I probably won't change my style of combat.

10- How are finding the presentation (visuals and audio)? Is it great for a handheld console such as the Vita?

So far the Panopticon has had three similar grey cell blocks, a slum, and the battlefield has either been a ruined city or a desert, so there isn't much visual stimulation to speak of. The only notable part that has stuck out to me was the “Retribution” cutscene and what I was thinking was, “Wow, this has the same development studio that did The Legend of Dragoon that had great cutscenes and now I got this chaotic mess without context.”

I haven't been impressed by the game so far but there's still time for the game to show me something interesting like whatever Aeris' plan. At least it isn't as bad as some of the games I've played this year but it still hasn't had anything noteworthy that would make me recommend it to others.

Edited by Mendant909

If you have the Quick Travel Entitlement press the square button to open the map and there should be an asterisk as to where to go next. I wish the game had told me that when I got the entitlement as I wasted some time looking where to go as well.

Reached the first checkpoint yesterday and now I remember why I left the game. It would have been better if the game started with the option of having Sinners being in your party. I'll get into the discussion in the spoilers but I seem to be one of the few that isn't in love with the game so far.

1- What's your thoughts regarding the premise of Freedom Wars? About overpopulation and wars over valuable resources?

The sentence system doesn't make much sense, but I'll get into that on the third question. Even though the story is about overpopulation, the dystopian story doesn't take advantage of it. A large portion of the population appears to work as Sinners while the rest are imprudent nerds. It's a bare bones social clash without much in it because there's no characters with depth so far. The only main valuable resource that has been shown in three chapters has been nerds and I don't care about saving yuppies. The Panopticon looked like a generic large steel mill city based on the “Retribution” cutscene yet Kill la Kill's Honnō City and Attack on Titan's Walls demonstrated the social class difference clearly and uniquely.

Three chapters in and there hasn't been much story so far. The first chapter was a tutorial, the second set up the club of sinners, and the third had the mystery of a crucified girl. I got a bit into the fourth chapter and it didn't make sense for Beatrice to be in that position. Heck, she was easily put into the sinners system without anyone from the government noticing that she's missing. Hopefully something of importance happens or this could rival Hyperdimenision Noire: Goddess Black Heart in being pointless.

The sentence system is pretty stupid if you stop to think about it. The game is set one-hundred-thousand years in the future yet there's some sinners that have sentences of over two-million years. Unless humanity has evolved to a point where they live more than a million years, which doesn't seem likely as it's only been one-hundred-thousand years, the sentencing should have been limited to either a thousand years or less. Heck, this system mainly exists just to create a social class conflict. It would have been better if they ripped off Gataca as that film has a social class system that

4- What do you think of the 1984-level of surveillance in Panopticons?

Freedom Wars's surveillance system is a farce in comparison to the one set in Orwell's 1984. One of the main phrases of Orwell's story is “Big Brother is watching you”; this phrase is used to persuade the populace of Oceania that the Party is taking care of them like family, but the doublespeak behind the phrase is that the government is monitoring acts of individuality. Freedom Wars removes any subtlaty of spying and puts that in the forefront and just makes the government look foolish. As to why the sinners haven't revolted with their weapons is beyond me and the government keeps screwing up by making basic functions like your partner's gear being limited be a fault of your own rather than for efficiency.

Aside from Uwe being the mentor and someone called Carlos that sticks out for a name that would be common in Los Angeles, there's really no one I like so far. Aeris is interesting but I don't know what her plan is to revolt or how Beatrice plays into that.

Freedom Wars's Sinner and Accessory relationship reminds me of Psycho Pass's Inspector and Enforcer relationship, and then I'm reminded as to why I like the latter. An Inspector holds the life of the Enforcer in their hands and can kill them, yet can become an Enforcer through psychological trauma. An Accessory just watches a Sinner and reports any violation of some code, with a small drop added to the ocean of the sentence. It also appears that an Accessory can be kidnapped and easily replaced so I wouldn't care much if it happens to mine as she has no humanity and I doubt the story will allow that to develop.

So far the game hasn't been challenging as I found out that shooting from a high ledge works to stay away from enemy range. Taking two minutes to kill the same repeated monster got boring real quick but the game has spiced up with team-members being added so that should speed up the kills, hopefully the game will give me a different thing to kill soon.

As I'll state later the missions seem to take in only a few locations. After three chapters I got about a dozen copies of the same machine gun and a saw blade that is barely better than my beginning blade. I'll check later to see if I could buy a better weapon.

Not really as my strategy of hiding up a ledge, shooting, picking up ammo, repeat, etc. hasn't failed me yet. Until the game presents an enemy immune to bullets I probably won't change my style of combat.

So far the Panopticon has had three similar grey cell blocks, a slum, and the battlefield has either been a ruined city or a desert, so there isn't much visual stimulation to speak of. The only notable part that has stuck out to me was the “Retribution” cutscene and what I was thinking was, “Wow, this has the same development studio that did The Legend of Dragoon that had great cutscenes and now I got this chaotic mess without context.”

I haven't been impressed by the game so far but there's still time for the game to show me something interesting like whatever Aeris' plan. At least it isn't as bad as some of the games I've played this year but it still hasn't had anything noteworthy that would make me recommend it to others.

I agree with you, especially with the Psycho-Pass example :D

I agree with you, especially with the Psycho-Pass example :D

Hm, I should probably word that better as I used Psycho Pass as an example as to how Freedom Wars lacks in depth when it comes to the supervisor-worker relationship. I guess I'll edit that a bit to make it clearer to others.

I'm probably going to take a break from freedom wars. The game doesn't have the decency to bring you to different places. Like, I'll be in the promenade to talk to Ann, then she'll tell me to go to the Warren to talk to Uwe, then back to the promenade to talk to his daughter (all of which have like 3 lines), and then back to zakka to talk to Julien. Couldn't I have talked to both people in the promenade at the same time! It's kind of getting on my nerves.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to take a break from freedom wars. The game doesn't have the decency to bring you to different places. Like, I'll be in the promenade to talk to Ann, then she'll tell me to go to the Warren to talk to Uwe, then back to the promenade to talk to his daughter (all of which have like 3 lines), and then back to zakka to talk to Julien. Couldn't I have talked to both people in the promenade at the same time! It's kind of getting on my nerves.

The truth has been spoken! I was excited to play this game through all the GREAT reviews it was given and praised comparability to Soul Sacrifice Delta and Monster Hunter. I prefer Soul Sacrifice Delta honestly, granted I love the artwork and mythology and old fairy tale themes so I'm a bit biased but let me say this:

Freedom Wars - Good action, and fun implementation with the thorn and all; Too much back and forth travelling like ryansvadersaid and too text heavy. A more apropos title could've been Freedom SitcomFreedom Novel. Anything that would tell the user immediately that this is a text heavy action game. At this point in time, I'm just mashing the X button to get my next mission just so I can play. I don't even know the story anymore.

• Like 1

>Japanese game

Um... what did you expect? :P

I love Japanese games, especially visual novels or games expected to have a lot of text. Not this.

Monster Hunter is japanese, not text-heavy.

Muramasa is Japanese, not text heavy.

Resonance of Fate, not text heavy.

Eternal Sonata, not overly texty.

I figured when people compared this too Monster Hunter/Soul Sacrifice Delta both which are VERY little on text, that this would be more action oriented not book oriented.

• Like 1

If the sinners were sentenced to 1000 years, reducing their sentence by 10000 years would be kinda redundant, don't you think? =D

Wait, the game has a mission that reduces the sentence by 10,000 years? That's ten percent of the original sentence which makes me again question who made this stupid system. If the game started with a thousand years long sentence it would have rewards of one to ten years being reduced depending on the mission difficulty. A thousand years is feasible since the game is only set a hundred-thousand years into the future, not a million, so maybe there would have been past sinners that moved up the social ladder once their time was up. If it started with a thousand years all the minute crimes would have a bigger consequence as twenty or two hundred years would have some weight behind it in comparison to twenty years added to a million year sentence. It just seems like the developers made up the long sentence to astonish new players without thinking as to what that says about the Panopticon government.

The running back and forth is ptesting my patience and my current headache. Im on code 4 but i have to run around and talk to get things moving and I really don't care. I do enjoy the gameplay though. Not really sure what weapons i like i'm using a white assault rifle and some random short sword as i like the sever option.

Wait, the game has a mission that reduces the sentence by 10,000 years? That's ten percent of the original sentence which makes me again question who made this stupid system. If the game started with a thousand years long sentence it would have rewards of one to ten years being reduced depending on the mission difficulty. A thousand years is feasible since the game is only set a hundred-thousand years into the future, not a million, so maybe there would have been past sinners that moved up the social ladder once their time was up. If it started with a thousand years all the minute crimes would have a bigger consequence as twenty or two hundred years would have some weight behind it in comparison to twenty years added to a million year sentence. It just seems like the developers made up the long sentence to astonish new players without thinking as to what that says about the Panopticon government.

Original sentence is 1,000,000 years so 10,000 years would only be 1% of your sentence. Not seen that mission but you'd still need to do it 100 times to remove your sentence. Numbers in games like this are arbitrary and they just add in extra zeros to make things seem on a larger scale and more serious. Its like games where it takes as long to reach level 9999 being the same as 99 in another game, or how in FF XIII you could do 6 figure damage when the old games would cap you at 4 figures. its more just a pointless thing to make things seem cool.

I wouldn't bother thinking about things in practical terms because if this was real you wouldnt be able to do the same mission 100 times.

Just take it as the creators were trying to show you a totalitarian society run by a bunch of dicks.

The running back and forth is ptesting my patience and my current headache. Im on code 4 but i have to run around and talk to get things moving and I really don't care. I do enjoy the gameplay though. Not really sure what weapons i like i'm using a white assault rifle and some random short sword as i like the sever option.

Original sentence is 1,000,000 years so 10,000 years would only be 1% of your sentence. Not seen that mission but you'd still need to do it 100 times to remove your sentence. Numbers in games like this are arbitrary and they just add in extra zeros to make things seem on a larger scale and more serious. Its like games where it takes as long to reach level 9999 being the same as 99 in another game, or how in FF XIII you could do 6 figure damage when the old games would cap you at 4 figures. its more just a pointless thing to make things seem cool.

I wouldn't bother thinking about things in practical terms because if this was real you wouldnt be able to do the same mission 100 times.

Just take it as the creators were trying to show you a totalitarian society run by a bunch of dicks.

The 10,000 year missions are randomly given in single player and can be done as many times in a row as you like if you play online.