Possible big blow to FF7 Remake might be episodic.

Daniel_Shadow170

I dont see the problem - it just means people will get to play it earlier.

If anyone has a big problem with it they can wait till all the episodes are out - which is how long they would have to wait if Square were going to release as a single game anyway.

So the game is too big for these brand new consoles? Bullshit.

Where you been, dude?

The PS4 is two years old - halfway through a typical console life cycle.

Hardly 'brand new'

http://kotaku.com/why-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-split-up-1746598619 Here's square's bullshit excuse telling me a blu-ray dvd can't fit the whole game is crap. Can already tell part 1 is midgar part 2 is probably gold saucer ect ect i'm not gonna lie and say i won't buy the game because i will it's just the hype is completely dead now.

If they release it like VII VII-2 VII-3 all seperate games/discs and with like a year between them. I'd buy them, all. But please Squeenix don't make it like those telltale games episodes, I want to play an actual game. For an actual amount of time, not just 10 hours.

I have a suggestion.

Let's wait until more information is out before jumping on the crapwagon. At the very worst, if it ends up being episodic, and you don't like it, don't freaking buy the game!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Reduce the pessimism and sensationalism generating. Sit back, relax and wait for more news.

• Like 1

Good games are still good games even when they come in episodes.

Good?No one wants a good ff7 remake it's ether one of the best or just not worth it don't remake shit if you know you aren't good enough to make it. But it's whatever the game is being ripped apart right now by everyone maybe square will take a clue i've got no hype so we'll see.

Where you been, dude?

The PS4 is two years old - halfway through a typical console life cycle.

Hardly 'brand new'

Ok, so I over exaggerated a bit. But the last 2 console gens lasted 6-7 years roughly. So we're a third of the way through, not half :P

That being said, I'm sticking with my call of 'bullshit'. I get the feeling there was some genius over at SquareEnix that realised how much money FF7 remake was going to make them. Then realised how dumb FF fanboys can be, and thought "Hey, why don't we double our money by selling them the game in broken down parts?" I also doubt that the parts are released years between them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all released on the same day, but you end up having to pay $120+ to get the full game because it's "too big" for one disc.

Ok, so I over exaggerated a bit. But the last 2 console gens lasted 6-7 years roughly. So we're a third of the way through, not half :P

That being said, I'm sticking with my call of 'bullshit'. I get the feeling there was some genius over at SquareEnix that realised how much money FF7 remake was going to make them. Then realised how dumb FF fanboys can be, and thought "Hey, why don't we double our money by selling them the game in broken down parts?" I also doubt that the parts are released years between them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all released on the same day, but you end up having to pay $120+ to get the full game because it's "too big" for one disc.

The last console cycle was an aberration, not the norm. A global economic recession and the birth of the iphone extended that console gen far beyond its natural life by stagnating the birth of the next one - I wouldnt take those as an example of the future.

As far as the FFVII remake goes - what you describe would, indeed, suck balls, but I really doubt that will happen. Square can be aclittle tone-deaf to the consumers, but not THAT tone deaf. That would be a misstep that I doubt they would make.

Omg please people dont panic . Maybe episodic means like FF13 .  I mean all 3 parts are from same story /universe , they have "unique" gameplay and they released seperatly.  

I mean i am a little bit afraid of a "telltale"-like release too but wait for an official announcement before everyone calls the doomsday .  

and 50 gb br disc ..... 50 GB are not that much today .... look at all the 30-40gb games , why is everyone sceptical that SE breaked the limit of one BR disc? Im not surprised tbh.

Edited by Xionx

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216 That is awful i was fine with everything else i hope this isn't true. EDIT looks like it is every big name site just got the same memo gg square.

LOL. Classic Square...

As far as the FFVII remake goes - what you describe would, indeed, suck balls, but I really doubt that will happen. Square can be aclittle tone-deaf to the consumers, but not THAT tone deaf. That would be a misstep that I doubt they would make.

I hope you're right, but I don't share your optimism regarding them (or, in general, Japanese companies, which have made so many blunders that nothing would surprise me).

Good games are still good games even when they come in episodes.

Good game that I have to pay $60>>>>Good game that I have to pay $180 for.

Huh, an episodic RPG. That's... weird. Not buying it on release then, just gonna wait for a complete edition, preferably discounted.

That is the upside. The episodic games usually plummet in price over time, and often, the companies are forced to give the first episode for free, anyway. So, it isn't all bad.

But seriously, this makes perfect sense. FFVII is a game geared towards rabid fans. They'll pay anything for it. I don't think this is going to be a huge seller (e.g. I would be surprised if it sold anything near what the original FFXIII sold), so this gives Squeenix a chance to wring more money out of the fans.

Edited by starcrunch061

I think the term 'episodes' has generated a lot of discussion simply cause it means different things to different people and there's been no clarification from Square.

Personally, I feel episodes in this case does not refer to the FF XIII, FF XIII-2 scenario.  Those were different games altogether, not parts of the same game.  I also feel that this is in no way going to be similar to a Telltale style game (as that would be the most disappointing as it would be cut down to nothing to fit that model).

I believe when they say episodes, it's going to be more like what Blizzard is doing with Starcraft 2.  You can say that's similar to the original 3 disc set-up, and sure, it probably is, but those SC2 'episodes' don't equal the price of a whole game, but more like 2+ games in the end.  If each 'episode' of FF VII costs $30-60 it would be a lot more expensive than any other full title on PS4.  It could very well get a digital and disc release simultaneously, but again, paying 3 times for parts of a game is not the same as paying for 3 separate games (like FF XIII and it counterparts).

I can appreciate that some fans want to remain optimistic about this, but video game companies are in the business of making money just like any other company.  And Square has shown us many times over the last 10-15 years just how badly they can fuck things up, so I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.  They're the ones with something to prove, and if they can't do it, I will speak with my wallet.  I'm hoping the next announcement is a clarification of what they're doing, but so far we've had nothing solid and my faith in this remake is wavering.  I will wait to see what they have to say, but that also doesn't mean I can't take what they've given so far and extrapolate an outcome I'm not going to be happy with.  As I said, I was already on the fence for other reasons, this is just icing on the cake (but you know, in a bad way).

LOL. Classic Square...

Good game that I have to pay $60<<<<Good game that I have to pay $180 for.

You realise you just said that $180 game is better (greater than)

I think you meant $60 > $180

Normally i wouldnt be pedantic, but I think you might have stated the literal opposite of what you meant?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

From the time i watched the last trailer,i was sure that something wasn't right.I mean seriously.They felt the need to show us Biggs,Wedge and Jessie but no Aeris?Not even Tifa.We can safely assume they didn't even make it past Guard Scorpion.I was expecting a trailer with Gold Saucer,the Highwind,Cloud slapping Aeris and Hojo's laughter.Also i don't believe they are going to release three episodes,each for the original disc in ps1.I mean,even the argument about the game's size is ridiculous.Since ps1 and FFIX,i don't recall a Final Fantasy where i could go onto an airship and travel around the map.We were choosing destinations on ps2 and on ps3 we didn't even have an airship.Can you imagine in this remake the possibility of riding your gold chocobo and run on water?Or summoning Knights of the Round?I can't.

So just gonna say - I don't see the problem with this lol. Imo this is okay, feels obvious they won't do a telltale kind of game. I think it will be a VII-1, VII-2, VII-3. XIII had this and X had 2 parts. Plus, I will happily have a Final Fantasy VII Remake part in 2016, one in 2017 and one in 2018 instead of a full one in 2019. Because lets be honest here, a production of a full game takes a long time, Fallout 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn 4 years and one isn't even out yet. (KH and FF XV is bad examples as they've not been in development for so long, really....)

But even though Im positive, I don't think anyone should say anything about it yet.. We don't even know what it means and everyone is jumping at 'Square is fucking it up'
What did you think would happen?  They've kept away from doing this because they knew everyone would say stuff like this, they've said from day one that they will change things up. This was what to be expected, and maybe this is good news. Maybe its Crisis Core and Advent Children as parts, unlikely but still. 
Lets just don't give a shit until they say what they actually mean and then be negative or positive :D

So just gonna say - I don't see the problem with this lol. Imo this is okay, feels obvious they won't do a telltale kind of game. I think it will be a VII-1, VII-2, VII-3. XIII had this and X had 2 parts. Plus, I will happily have a Final Fantasy VII Remake part in 2016, one in 2017 and one in 2018 instead of a full one in 2019. Because lets be honest here, a production of a full game takes a long time, Fallout 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn 4 years and one isn't even out yet. (KH and FF XV is bad examples as they've not been in development for so long, really....)

But even though Im positive, I don't think anyone should say anything about it yet.. We don't even know what it means and everyone is jumping at 'Square is fucking it up'

What did you think would happen?  They've kept away from doing this because they knew everyone would say stuff like this, they've said from day one that they will change things up. This was what to be expected, and maybe this is good news. Maybe its Crisis Core and Advent Children as parts, unlikely but still. 

Lets just don't give a shit until they say what they actually mean and then be negative or positive :D

You have to voice that square is fucking up that company needs a leader and to start having deadlines they have the talent but no one to push them. As for KH3 yes that's been on a good timetable but i wouldn't give credit to square it goes to disney and FFXV let's not bullshit 10 year's don't say versus 13 is different they aren't.

XIII had this and X had 2 parts.

Yeah, but both XIII and X were conceived as stand alone complete experiences with terrible sequels being tacked on later in time. I just can't imagine playing FF VII for 20 hours and then being told to wait for the next episode. I understand they probably need the money ASAP, so they're rushing everything out as fast as they can but they should just take their time and remake the whole game in one go. The stuff they're saying about FF VII being "too big" for one release and all, that's bullshit. Somebody should send them a copy of The Witcher 3 to show them what some developers are capable of in 2015.