What's your all-time favorite controller?

Zenpai

150 members have voted

1. 1. What's your all-time favorite controller?

• Dualshock 1+2
    • Dualshock 3
    • Dualshock 4
    • Xbox Controller
    • Xbox 360 Controller
    • Xbox One Controller
    • Nintendo 64 Controller
    • Gamecube Controller
    • Wiimote
    • Wii U GamePad
    • Other
  2. 2. What's the most comfortable handheld?

Depends on what you're playing i suppose. If we're looking at fighting games then a fighting stick is objectively the best way to go, but generally speaking i've really been enjoying the Wii U Pro Controller so far.

Wii-U-Pro-Controller.jpg

It feels really natural in your hand and the buttons are just where i like them, kinda like the best of both Playstation and XBox. Battery life is absoutely amazing, i've played with it for several weeks without recharging at times.

Only downside is it gets dirty very easily.

This is not a bad controller at all I agree with you, the biggest problem with it is that all the damn Wii and Wii U games don't support it.

Also how do the Genesis NES and SNES controllers get left off the voting this list and how did the gamepad make it on here? Excuse my bias I despise that gamepad to no end.

The gamecube controller was fantastic for Nintendo games but i couldn't use it on anything else. At the time i was bouncing back and forth between gamecube ps2 and xbox if it wasnt smash bros or Metroid prime it just wasn't an option for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Definitely the Dualshock 4. It fits your grip perfectly. The triggers seem a lot more responsive than the 3. The Dualshock 3 is too small and I find it clumsy to use. Wish I could use 4 on the PS3. Although I've never used an x box controller they look very uncomfortable and awkward, the analogs in different positions seems confusing to me. I suppose it's really what your most used to though!

Where's the damn SNES in this poll?

Funny that Vita gets voted on so much, probably only because this is a PlayStation gaming site, personally I thought the Vita was terribly uncomfortable in my hands. As in I would actually feel pain when I was playing for more than half an hour.

SNES used to be my favourite but it's kind of small in my hands these days. The N64 controller was cool too though I'd probably go with the Switch pro controller in terms of comfort. Definitely don't agree with dualshock 4, though it is bearable with added joystick cushions.

For the handheld, the Switch is the first one large enough to sit comfortably in my hands. I guess the classic Game Boy was cool too though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

The N64 controller was cool too though

Actually the more interesting question about the N64-controller is the way someone holds it. Most kids I knew back in the day only held the controller on the middle and the right handle, whereas I always used the left and the right handle. Oh, those good ol' memories of the N64... ^_^

10 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Funny that Vita gets voted on so much, probably only because this is a PlayStation gaming site, personally I thought the Vita was terribly uncomfortable in my hands.

I'm sure this plays as role but I also guess the main problem is that most handhelds can get uncomfortable after a while and the Vita is for some  the handheld with the least loss of comfort.

The only ones where I remember to not have such comfort loss problems were the original GameBoy and my lime green GameBoy Color. :wub:

But I'm sure the Game Gear was comfortable as well. Due to the high usage of batteries you had to make a break after 2 or 3 hours so you were guaranteed to rest your hands. :D

27 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Actually the more interesting question about the N64-controller is the way someone holds it. Most kids I knew back in the day only held the controller on the middle and the right handle, whereas I always used the left and the right handle. Oh, those good ol' memories of the N64... ^_^

Yeah I was a middle-right type. How did you use the joystick if you didn't grab the middle one? Because the D-pad left wasn't often used... I mean I think that for things like Mario, Zelda, Goldeneye and the likes you actually needed the joystick.

27 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I'm sure this plays as role but I also guess the main problem is that most handhelds can get uncomfortable after a while and the Vita is for some  the handheld with the least loss of comfort.

The only ones where I remember to not have such comfort loss problems were the original GameBoy and my lime green GameBoy Color. :wub:

But I'm sure the Game Gear was comfortable as well. Due to the high usage of batteries you had to make a break after 2 or 3 hours so you were guaranteed to rest your hands. :D

I've played every Nintendo handheld and the Vita, and the Vita was the most uncomfortable for me by far. The (3)DS pen was uncomfortably small for me but the handheld itself was fine, GBA SP was a bit weird... Nothing as painful as the Vita though. If only I know about things like this before I got rid of it:

8d4d5e01-a346-4c23-95fc-e7c0369dffc9_1.e

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I was a middle-right type. How did you use the joystick if you didn't grab the middle one? Because the D-pad left wasn't often used... I mean I think that for things like Mario, Zelda, Goldeneye and the likes you actually needed the joystick.

I used it the same way as everyone else? With my left thumb? :D  The same applies to the Z-trigger which I still easily reached with my left index finger.

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I've played every Nintendo handheld and the Vita, and the Vita was the most uncomfortable for me by far. The (3)DS pen was uncomfortably small for me but the handheld itself was fine, GBA SP was a bit weird... Nothing as painful as the Vita though. If only I know about things like this before I got rid of it:

Surprisingly I have problems with the 3DS (XL) as it starts to hurt in my hands after holding it for a while. Don't know why it is but I guess it has something to do with the edges and it more feels like holding a cutting board for me. A grip definetely helps and that money was well spent. The same applies to a touch pen and I even bought some thumb stick covers as the analog sticks of the Vita are just plain horrible. The circle pads of the PSP and the 3DS are way better.

30 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I used it the same way as everyone else? With my left thumb? :D  The same applies to the Z-trigger which I still easily reached with my left index finger.

... Do you have arachnodactyly?

30 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Surprisingly I have problems with the 3DS (XL) as it starts to hurt in my hands after holding it for a while. Don't know why it is but I guess it has something to do with the edges and it more feels like holding a cutting board for me. A grip definetely helps and that money was well spent. The same applies to a touch pen and I even bought some thumb stick covers as the analog sticks of the Vita are just plain horrible. The circle pads of the PSP and the 3DS are way better.

Dang, the Vita had joystick covers as well?

... Well, no big loss, the Switch is a much easier way to play home console games in handheld mode. Just need to keep the PS4 on the side for Assassin's Creed, South Park, Middle-earth and anything Rockstar :)

45 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

... Do you have arachnodactyly?

Nope, fingers are normal-sized.

And it's the first time I heard of this.

46 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Dang, the Vita had joystick covers as well?

Yes, it has, but they are rare to find and quite pricey so it's only worth the effort if someone decides to play quite a lot with it I guess.

But I only decided to look for such covers after having to buy some for the DualShock 4 as I prefer convex analog sticks.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Nope, fingers are normal-sized.

And it's the first time I heard of this.

Yeah I just googled long fingers or something like that 'cause I wanted to find a picture, the wiki about arachnodactyly was one of the top entries xD

And of course, due to my brain working how it does, I now know the word arachnodactyly. It's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious all over again.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Yes, it has, but they are rare to find and quite pricey so it's only worth the effort if someone decides to play quite a lot with it I guess.

But I only decided to look for such covers after having to buy some for the DualShock 4 as I prefer convex analog sticks.

I bought them for the PS4 controller right away, damn those tiny weird joysticks.

Sega Saturn controller was by far the most comfortable, with the neo geo pocket color as the most comfortable handheld, with the vita being the least comfortable

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

You didn't have to use batteries if you were at home at least, the genesis ac adapter is compatible with the game gear, or you can use aftermarket ones.

• 1 month later...

I went for DualShock 1+2. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, and I'm aware that it's not great for big hands, but I've never had a problem for it. It's a now-classic design that works as well as it did when it was first released, and the fact that the DualShock 3 was virtually identical to it, and DualShock 4 incredibly close in terms of layout and design, seems to prove it. Obviously these later iterations brought essential features (wireless with rechargeable battery, for one thing), but 1+2 stands out as the most important milestone. 

Honourable mention goes to the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis 3-button controller, easily the most comfortable and ergonomic controller of its type. Looks stylish as hell, too. 

Vita for the most comfortable handheld. Again, some people have issues with it, but I'm not one of them. Even 'Fingers-Accidentally-Registering-On-The-Back-Touchpad' has never been a problem with me. When games properly incorporate a button+touchscreen control scheme, it works amazingly well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wii U gamepad. For the soul reason I can stay at my desk because no short cords. I have a plug behind me for charging it easily instead of trying to sit on the edge of my bed with the Playstation's short ones. And how it doubles as a handheld with some games. I rarely play Breath of the Wild on the TV. My Wii U's not even plugged into the back of the TV. And I can plug headphones into it. It's all the reasons I've been mainly a handheld gamer for over ten years before buying a PS3 four years ago.

Comfortable handheld would go to Vita. The DS is heavy on the wrists to hold for long periods and how I hold the Vita, all the buttons I need are in easy reach.

I feel sorry for anyone that never got to use a Sega Saturn controller (gen 1 but both are supreme). It's easily my favorite of all time... it's so nice in the hand. PlayStation's duel-shock and on is also very good.

If I had to make a top 3 it'd be:

1. Sega Saturn

2. Sony Playstation

3. Sega Dreamcast