How much time spent on non-trophy side quests?

Stickaxe

Here's a question I've been curious about to all the trophy hunters out there:

If there is a side quest in a game that doesn't yield or help you get a trophy, do you consider it a waste of time to complete it or do you say "Why not?" and go for it? I'm talking in general here, I know it will probably depend somewhat on whether you enjoy the game or not.

I guess the bigger question here is do you consider trophy hunting a race as in, are you trying to get as many trophies as you can in x amount of time?

It largely depends on the game. If it's a game I really enjoy, I'll do everything. If it's in a game that's just pretty good, I'll do it if it gives me a reward (exp, an item, a skill). If it's a game that's "meh", then I won't bother.

I generally try to make it through games as quickly as possible, because my backlog is so big and I don't have a whole lot of free time anymore, but I'll never rush through a game I'm really in to. Having fun is always my main concern.

Edited by ExHaseo

If I am enjoying it, it doesn't matter if there is a trophy or not. I will do it because I want to.

If I am not enjoying it, I will not go for things if there are no trophies, and I will only go for trophies if I feel they are manageable without investing too much time, or if it's the last trophy I need to finish the game (i.e. grinding a level trophy in a game I thoroughly enjoyed before the grindfest, or a boring or frustrating side quest).

As an example, I no longer do the side quests for Dragon Fin Soup. They are boring and repetative, there is no trophy, the rewards stink, and it's not fun to do them.

Edited by SolarCat02

Depends on what is required, but generally I try to do as much as I can whether it has a trophy or not (getting all monster party members in XII-2, Ni no Kuni, and X-2, getting all alternate outfits in Rogue Galaxy, etc) but some things I will skip if they take too long and don't offer any reward in-game (completing the entire Frog Log of 600 weapon combinations in Rogue Galaxy, for example). Most recently in Rogue Galaxy I ended my game at 172 hours+ (though a lot of that was the game standing idle while I watched tv or browsed forums, etc) after having defeated White Miracle in the second version of Insectron S rank (that offers no trophy either, but unlocks the last alternate outfit) with my secondary Dark Emperor (named Kefka, naturally).

Edited by zadorvp

I just do what the trophies requires me to do. I'm at school and actually I do not have much time to play. I think that the trophies are good enough to have fun with a game. Also, I love to play Nintendo, so I just play to earn the trophies in PlayStation and I play in my 3ds and in my wii to have fun. 

I've always had my own definition of complete, and that doesn't necessarily coincide with the developer's definition, and in the past was excessive.

For example;

Final Fantasy VIII - one of every item, spell, compatibility with Guardian Forces maxed out et al.

Ratchet & Clank - complete multiple times so the "C" had a ten next to it.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Bounce the volleyball on my head over 100 times, wheelied for over half an hour, et al.

Nowadays, I've calmed down on the internal statistics (I always finished games with no deaths, no mission fails etc) and trophies are a nice mission list to make me do things even I don't think of.  Assassin's Creed is a good example, where activities are present that really don't need to be done but open the door to a new way of applying the game's mechanics.

That said, I' not overly fussed with multiplayer - and I'm happy to give in when a trophy is too hard.  Trials Fusion is too hard for me to 100% (two trophies are far too hard) and Brotherhood has multiplayer trophies I most likely won't get (I'm signed for a session, if it's too painful I won't bother again).

I get all that I can and that remains fun, because games are meant to be that.  I flinch when people say they "have to" get 100% etc. 

Here's a question I've been curious about to all the trophy hunters out there:

If there is a side quest in a game that doesn't yield or help you get a trophy, do you consider it a waste of time to complete it or do you say "Why not?" and go for it? I'm talking in general here, I know it will probably depend somewhat on whether you enjoy the game or not.

I guess the bigger question here is do you consider trophy hunting a race as in, are you trying to get as many trophies as you can in x amount of time?

For most, I'm sure it's "some of this and some of that". For example, I've spent each of the past 17 days getting capes for my characters in Gauntlet, despite the fact that I got the plat a week ago (and no trophies depend on them, anyway).

On the other hand, when I played Megamind, I didn't bother with any of he minigames I unlocked, since the trophy was achieved simply by unlocking them. For Grim Fandango, I didn't even bother with reading dialogue, because that game was a stain.

A lot of games have the mandatory 100% Completion, which normally includes these tasks. But regardless, I normally attempt everything in a game, provided I'm having a good time. If I'm not enjoying the game as much as I hope I would or don't feel like doing every little thing, then I'm not going to invest my time into beating everything. 

I've spent a lot of time in various games, even by allready having all Trophies / in the past Achievements. Especially DMC4. The reason for this game was, that every other game i had played/tested can reach my fav Game of all time in any way. After getting for the first time 1000GS in DMC4, i have seen many Youtube Clips what this game really offers and i'm one of the less guys, who is searching for some true gameplay, since i'm not grown up to gaming with trophies, like younger people does today. This game offers it to 1000%. I was going to learn and handle the stylish gameplay. It took me a lot of work, time & practice to make this possible. Also i liked every challenge there, discovering to hold, play new controller techniques and more. Then i have discovered the Leaderboards on both Versions and i'm very tempted to try, to get as many WR's as possible. Then i made my own researches how the strats are working, how the Point calculation works etc. I found out a lot and it is for me a much better accomplishment to get a WR or improve my skills there, then the most Trophies on earth. 'Cause it's a perfect game for me, i won't quit it, but sometimes i need a real break from it, because every session is very intense to achieve there some personal goals. Just need some new / other games sometimes. I also always love to feed my Youtube Channel x) Since, Youtube proofs more of yourself then just having trophies. Most Games with them just requires miminum effort to gain them. How ever... i could write a novel about it, but yeah... just take a look on my Forumprofile to know more about it :P 

I'm also going to get my fastes achiever on the Special Edition by one and a half day. :) I just need to wait until the right time will come... 

• Like 1

Like many people here, it depends on the game - if I'm enjoying the game or I need to level up a bit, explore more places or things like that then I'll do them, if I just want the game over and done with as soon as possible I'll skip them unless they're necessary xD