Thoughts on the trophies? (Street Fighter V)

Aranea Highwind

how about this to make it worse?

I win a match against someone in the same league, I gain 60+ LP. If I lost, I'll lose 60+ LP as well. Isn't it awesome?

As if the above is not awesome enough, this is the best part, if I win someone in a lower league than me, I gain only 30+ LP. If I lost, I lose 60+ LP as well.

You're right, I take back my post. I'm now around 1200 LP and winning against >500 barely gives me any LP

The gold league will definitely be the most challenging trophy, I wouldn't mind struggling my way to reach it but I just recently started playing, still a rookie and I got match with two silver ranks. One of them even had a 52 win streak and his RMika was so good it was so intimidating.

My point here is, being match with higher leagues than you will definitely make this trophy far more troublesome as even some bronze players are really good already.

how about this to make it worse?

I win a match against someone in the same league, I gain 60+ LP. If I lost, I'll lose 60+ LP as well. Isn't it awesome?

As if the above is not awesome enough, this is the best part, if I win someone in a lower league than me, I gain only 30+ LP. If I lost, I lose 60+ LP as well.

Lol looks like shit just got real.

Edited by stitchesnscars

My mentality has shifted a bit - I used to feel relief fighting a low-ranked player, but now the pressure is on to win against them. I'm Ultra Bronze League now (1500LP) and a loss against a rookie sets me back about 90 points with only a possible 20-30 to gain. I feel fine against most characters, but these Nash players really mess up my Bison game, haha

I guess... the answer lies in the heart of battle...?

I'm not going to skip this game because of a hard (impossible?) trophy. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll get anywhere near achieving it. But if you're not up for it you can always.... go home and be a family man....

• Like 2

My mentality has shifted a bit - I used to feel relief fighting a low-ranked player, but now the pressure is on to win against them. I'm Ultra Bronze League now (1500LP) and a loss against a rookie sets me back about 90 points with only a possible 20-30 to gain. I feel fine against most characters, but these Nash players really mess up my Bison game, haha

I'm up to Silver Rank now at 2000 LP+, it gets worst. Winning gives you 10LP, losing makes you lose 100... (against low ranked players)

Edited by minh2t

I really feel like people are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

Yes getting to Gold League is going to take a while, but the longer you play the game better you are going to get.

If you put in 100-200 hours into the game you are going to be better then someone who only put in 50 hours.

So what if you lose some points, just keep playing and learn from that loss.

Gold League will take a long time to get to, but that's kind of the point. Getting into Gold League is proof that you took the time to learn how to play the game.

If getting to Gold League was super easy than there wouldn't be a point to ranked match.

Losing rank points is supposed to give you the drive to get better and to never lose to whatever you lose to again.

Edit:

The problem with losing ranked matches to lower rank players could easily be solved if capcom put in a option to only fight people of the same or higher rank then you. They had that in USF4 so I can only assume it's coming sometime down the line of updates. 

Edited by soultaker655

I'm up to Silver Rank now at 2000 LP+, it gets worst. Winning gives you 10LP, losing makes you lose 100... (against low ranked players)

Oh wow, that's wild. I already feel like I'm just beating up children and stealing lunch (fight?) money. Stay strong, we can make it to the Gold Leagues... someday...

I really feel like people are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.

Yes getting to Gold League is going to take a while, but the longer you play the game better you are going to get.

If you put in 100-200 hours into the game you are going to be better then someone who only put in 50 hours.

So what if you lose some points, just keep playing and learn from that loss.

Gold League will take a long time to get to, but that's kind of the point. Getting into Gold League is proof that you took the time to learn how to play the game.

If getting to Gold League was super easy than there wouldn't be a point to ranked match.

Losing rank points is supposed to give you the drive to get better and to never lose to whatever you lose to again.

Edit:

The problem with losing ranked matches to lower rank players could easily be solved if capcom put in a option to only fight people of the same or higher rank then you. They had that in USF4 so I can only assume it's coming sometime down the line of updates. 

I see a lot of people making the same arguments about practicing in this game. Yes, practicing will make you better but while you are getting better  the people at the top aren't getting worse, you aren't closing the gap that much against someone who has been playing this for years if you have been casually playing the series or are brand new. Im not saying it shouldn't be hard or challenging its just how the game works. 

I see a lot of people making the same arguments about practicing in this game. Yes, practicing will make you better but while you are getting better  the people at the top aren't getting worse, you aren't closing the gap that much against someone who has been playing this for years if you have been casually playing the series or are brand new. Im not saying it shouldn't be hard or challenging its just how the game works. 

That line of thinking is what holds most casual players back from realizing how good they are at a fighting game and stops them from getting better.

As you practice the game and get better that gap you are talking about disappears and is replaced with things like Yomi and mindgames. Yes the people who have been playing fighting games for years have a big advantage over new players, but as soon as you start to understand things like what your opponent can do from a wake-up position, standing position, and in the corner you are not a new player anymore. When you reach that point there is no gap between you and the people at the top, the only thing that stops you from winning is your own mind.

The only thing you need to over come that gap is time. That's all.

And if you don't believe me go look up some of the current pro fighting game players. Some of them didn't start playing SF4 fighting game until the 4th year of SF4, Some of the Killer Instinct pro players didn't start playing fighting games until Killer Instinct came out. One of the best MKX pro players is a 17 year old kid who constantly beats people who have been playing fighting game since before he was born.

Everyone has to start somewhere and they do so by casually playing the game. The only difference between the people at the top and the people at the bottom is that the people at the bottom let things like a so called "gap" hold them back and the people at the top don't.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 2

That's line of thinking is what holds most casual players back from realizing how good they are at a fighting game and stops them from getting better.

As you practice the game and get better that gap you are talking about disappears and is replaced with things like Yomi and mindgames. Yes the people who have been playing fighting games for years have a big advantage over new players, but as soon as you start to understand things like what your opponent can do from a wake-up position, standing position, and in the corner you are not a new player anymore. When you reach that point there is no gap between you and the people at the top, the only thing that stops you from winning is your own mind.

The only think you need to over come that gap is time. That's all.

And if you don't believe me go look up some of the current pro fighting game players. Some of them didn't start playing SF4 fighting game until the 4th year of SF4, Some of the Killer Instinct pro players didn't start playing fighting games until Killer Instinct came out. One of the best MKX pro players is a 17 year old kid who constantly beats people who have been playing fighting game since before he was born.

Everyone has to start somewhere and they do so by casually playing the game. The only difference between the people at the top and the people at the bottom is that the people at the bottom let things like a so called "gap" hold them back and the people at the top don't.

I only partly agree to this, but like in sports, not every humans are created equal. There's natural talent and physical limitation to everyone too. The way you present your argument is valid in a ideal world, but in reality, overcoming that gap isn't an easy thing to do at all.

Somewhat your own argument contradicts itself, you're saying practice is what's needed to close the gap but as an exemple you bring the 17 years old MKX player that despite not having played a long time is beating veterans that have a lot of pratice AND real experience playing competitively.

The only difference between the people at the top and the people at the bottom is that the people at the bottom let things like a so called "gap" hold them back and the people at the top don't.

There isn't really a "gap" between pro players. Just the little stuff like you said. Otherwise, I like the optimistic approach. It's nice to think that way, though it's unrealistic. Like minh2t said, not everybody is equal. A perfect example of this would be reaction time. I can't react half as fast as a lot of the pros can, so I don't expect to hold a torch to 'em. xD

This golden league trophy is going to be just as bad as people are making it out to be. Especially when sometimes it feels like your only options are lose or get quit out on. Kinda sucks when you're gaining nothing and keep losing points because of it.

Edited by Brawler

I only partly agree to this, but like in sports, not every humans are created equal. There's natural talent and physical limitation to everyone too. The way you present your argument is valid in a ideal world, but in reality, overcoming that gap isn't an easy thing to do at all.

Somewhat your own argument contradicts itself, you're saying practice is what's needed to close the gap but as an exemple you bring the 17 years old MKX player that despite not having played a long time is beating veterans that have a lot of pratice AND real experience playing competitively.

The thing with SonicFox (the 17 year old kid) is that a lot of little things happened at once beacuse he never let the "gap" between him and the veterans bother him.

When a new fighting game comes out everyone is more or less at the same level. It's just that the veterans who have played for years learn the game faster.

From what I understand about the MK scene is that a lot of the veterans left the scene when Injustice came out. During that time a new scene with new players formed with SonicFox on top. When MKX came out the old veterans came back, but the new scene with fresh young minds were much better than the old veterans thought they were.

Basically it's a old guard vs young bucks sports story that was caused by the young bucks not letting things like a "gap" stop them from getting good at the game.

Which goes with what I was saying, don't let things like a "gap" that can be filled of with time stop you from trying. Because you could be the next SonicFox and the only thing holding you back is yourself.

There isn't really a "gap" between pro players. Just the little stuff like you said. Otherwise, I like the optimistic approach. It's nice to think that way, though it's unrealistic. Like minh2t said, not everybody is equal. A perfect example of this would be reaction time. I can't react half as fast as a lot of the pros can, so I don't expect to hold a torch to 'em. xD

This golden league trophy is going to be just as bad as people are making it out to be. Especially when sometimes it feels like your only options are lose or get quit out on. Kinda sucks when you're gaining nothing and keep losing points because of it.

It's true that not everyone is created equal, but if you let things like a "gap" stop you, you will never reach the point where you can see if the other person has better reaction time than you do.

It does suck that the current ranked match has problems, but it will be fixed in time. The game just came out this week, SF5 will be around for at least 5 years. You will have plenty of time to get to gold league.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

This game is awesome and fun. I will probably not be able to, or want to grind out that golden league trophy but last night my overall experience with the game was good. It seems Capcom fixed all those server issues they were having, I was able to fight plenty of matches online yesterday and they all ran beautifully with the exception of maybe one. The golden league trophy should be no reason why any one does not try this game, it is worth it. I am looking forward to the upcoming story modes and Guile/Juiri DLC characters.

The past day or two I've only been fighting players of my rank or higher! Which is great since there's more opportunity to earn points instead of fighting low rank opponents... the bad news is that I've lost dozens of matches - I've dropped from 1600lp to about 1100lp. It's going to be a difficult climb back up, but we keep trying...

That line of thinking is what holds most casual players back from realizing how good they are at a fighting game and stops them from getting better.

The only thing you need to over come that gap is time. That's all.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. Yes there are newer pro players who are better at the game like the 17 year old you mentioned, but id be willing to bet that he/she is probably also really talented and probably better than most at other fighting games as well, thats natural talent which can't be taught. 

This type of structure  is true in just about anything that is competitive some people are just better at things than others are no matter how hard they try. Everyone has to start somewhere and they also stop somewhere  you just have to hope that wherever you peak is good enough to get you where you are going. I understand that you are taking an optimistic approach but realism has to set in at some point.

None of this is to say that you shouldn't try your best but this is just the nature of competitive play we can always let the future rarity of this trophy settle it for us.

• Like 1

After getting my hands on the game, this list is actually fairly easy. As far as fighting games go at least. It's significantly less difficult than the SFIV and SSFIV ones for sure. The only problem trophies I see are getting to Gold league, and completing Hell mode in Survival. The rest are just time consuming.

After getting my hands on the game, this list is actually fairly easy. As far as fighting games go at least. It's significantly less difficult than the SFIV and SSFIV ones for sure. The only problem trophies I see are getting to Gold league, and completing Hell mode in Survival. The rest are just time consuming.

Gold league is going to be harder than anything in SFIV or SSFIV, though.

• Like 1

C to Shining C does take more time, but this one is a bit trickier. Not to mention the fact people can't boost this one nearly as easily, if at all. I was up to about 1500 last night and now I've dropped all the way to 900. I think of all my wins, 2 counted and the rest were disconnections or losses. It's discouraging, to say the least. Probably just going to try putting in a few hours each day and hoping it works out lol.