Blast Shards...arrgh

Lady Lilith

• 2 weeks later...

I got this over the weekend, returning to the game after 2 years.   To make thing a little less stressful try and make sure you clear out all the shards in your currently island before moving onto the next.

e.g. I made sure I had 282 shards before venturing over the historic district.  You might need static thrusters to get some on the 1st island so avoid collecting on the 2nd if you can before you have the ability.  The one out in the water on the pier was the one that got me for a long long time.

• Neon District: 147
  • The Warren: 135
  • Historic District: 68

2 stunts to go and I can grind the rest of the trophies for my plat.  Makers shard sense soooo much more appreciated in Infamous 2.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This trophy was a killer espically that last shard. You need to look for an extremely tall building that is gold and white. It doesn't show up on the mini map when you look for it (by pressing L3) or when you're under it as the shard is right at the top, literally on the spike of the building. At first I thought I had climbed to the highest point as I kept slipping down but after a couple of attempts I managed to get to the top and there it was! Honestly the relief I felt when I found it was crazy! But it was time well spent. If this is not your missing shard I would recommend using a printed out and crossing them off as you go. It's easier if you do this when starting a new game though. This platinum is worth the effort- keep going guys- you can do it!

• Like 1

This trophy was a killer espically that last shard. You need to look for an extremely tall building that is gold and white. It doesn't show up on the mini map when you look for it (by pressing L3) or when you're under it as the shard is right at the top, literally on the spike of the building. At first I thought I had climbed to the highest point as I kept slipping down but after a couple of attempts I managed to get to the top and there it was! Honestly the relief I felt when I found it was crazy! But it was time well spent. If this is not your missing shard I would recommend using a printed out and crossing them off as you go. It's easier if you do this when starting a new game though. This platinum is worth the effort- keep going guys- you can do it!

That's why I read a guide on collectibles before I decide to plat a game or not. Infamous had this stupid 350 blast shards and I made sure I had printed maps with the blast shard locations so every time I collected one i would mark it out. It might take some time but not as long if you miss one. I know there is a long list of the "349 CLUB". Didn't want to be part of that stat :lol:  :lol:

DF007gamer.png

• 2 years later...
On 8/27/2016 at 4:43 PM, DF007gamer said:

That's why I read a guide on collectibles before I decide to plat a game or not. Infamous had this stupid 350 blast shards and I made sure I had printed maps with the blast shard locations so every time I collected one i would mark it out. It might take some time but not as long if you miss one. I know there is a long list of the "349 CLUB". Didn't want to be part of that stat :lol:  :lol:

DF007gamer.png

I just got the platinum in a few days myself. It just takes a lot of planning and patience. I wouldn’t recommend this to those that aren’t willing to do written planning and grinding it out, you have to be very careful not to accidentally step on one without accounting for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

I just got the platinum in a few days myself. It just takes a lot of planning and patience. I wouldn’t recommend this to those that aren’t willing to do written planning and grinding it out, you have to be very careful not to accidentally step on one without accounting for it.

I actually got many shards during my playthrough. When I started hunting for them I followed a map, but not so strictly and I didn't mark anything. I missed 4 in the end, but in 15 minutes I got my trophy.

I was not very scared because you can press L3 in game to check the surrounding area. So even if you miss some you don't have to start over, you can quickly scan the area as you walk. In particular if you grind the railway you can scan large portions of the map in no time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miticogialdo said:

I actually got many shards during my playthrough. When I started hunting for them I followed a map, but not so strictly and I didn't mark anything. I missed 4 in the end, but in 15 minutes I got my trophy.

I was not very scared because you can press L3 in game to check the surrounding area. So even if you miss some you don't have to start over, you can quickly scan the area as you walk. In particular if you grind the railway you can scan large portions of the map in no time.

I have a buddy that simply refuses to do this. It is a grind for sure, but doable if you want it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on finishing this off currently.

I've marked down the totals of each island and search the outer edges of the island, then each block of buildings. I completed Neon last night and have done a good chunk of warren today.

I was thinking to do a lap on the train as well but it didnt turn out to be necessary.

I imagine there are faster ways but this is working for me so here's hoping it continues to do so :)

1 hour ago, meecegoatsalot said:

I'm working on finishing this off currently.

I've marked down the totals of each island and search the outer edges of the island, then each block of buildings. I completed Neon last night and have done a good chunk of warren today.

I was thinking to do a lap on the train as well but it didnt turn out to be necessary.

I imagine there are faster ways but this is working for me so here's hoping it continues to do so :)

I would use a good map. If you know you have an area covered, double check it. You can do it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, this brings back painful memories. This was my first PS3 game and my first platinum. That last blast shard is a pain in the butt. Like the others said, R3 your way around the map, you're bound to find it sooner or later.

Good luck!

Just noticed this was a super old thread, oh well. I take you found that blast shard by now lol.

• 5 months later...

My general strategy was to clear out the sides of the map first (the dockside). Basically making one whole loop around each island so I didn't have to worry about the annoying piers anymore which tend to always hide the last shards on my previous playthroughs. Then I would try to divide each district into smaller sections (seperated by the larger roads) which I would clear out one by one as more and more became available when you restore power to the sections. This way I could keep track of where I had been already and this allowed me to take breaks after clearing out a certain section to do some side or main missions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got it on my 1st run, but i have to say, i was well prepared

Firstly, i printed a map of every island

Secondly, i ticked them off as i grabbed one

Thirdly, i would count every time i grabbed one

That way i could immediately see how far i was at, also it made it pretty doable to know once you counted 147 for Neon, u basically were sure u had em all there, i did the same for the others maps (counting from 1 to 135 for Warren,...) 

I also ticked them off differently at 25 & 50% (cross out (X) , tick off (V)) just to know for sure when those trophies popped if it still was corresponding with what i counted, if it wouldnt i would still be able to see which ones i had caught at which 'checkpoint' (like i call it) so i could ignore those

Which was good, since i used maps with yellow dots as the shards, which wasnt 'complete' (1 of neon, 2 of warren & historic that werent on it) but with a visual map & looking on the map on the trophy guide here those were easily found

So basically i had checkpoints at 88 (25% trophy), 147 (all of neon), 175 (50% trophy), 282 (147 of neon + 135 of warren) & finally at 350

I would also suggest to grab the shards asap, with this method its pretty doable even before the power is on on some parts of the map, besides i noticed on my 2nd run its pretty easy to catch some without really realizing it

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Managed to find all but 6 on my own and I was really thorough, been following a YouTube guide for the ones I missed. Most of them were blocked by another icon on the map whenever you pinged it so I would've never have found them unless I looked right at them. Only got 2 left now but what a pain in the ass to do it this way since you have to recheck all the ones you already got so it's like having to collect them all twice. Literally spent the past 5-6 hours of game time looking for completely pointless blast shards. I just want to start the hard playthrough and get my platinum damnit. 

What were they thinking having this many collectibles and not having them located on the map? Seriously. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly certain there is a glitch in the game when it comes to blast shards. I all but platinumed inFamous in 2011. The only trophy I couldn't obtain was Rockhound. I think I got everything else in less than a month. My first playthrough I ran around every building, scaled every building, checked under/over every obstacle, and went off the edge of every island looking for the last shard. In other words, no stone unturned. I even blew-up 1000s of cars trying to find that last shard in case it was a massive joke by Sucker Punch. My second playthrough same thing, but I got the Evil Finish trophy. During this playthrough I tried multiple maps, but nothing got me past the 349/350 mark. Over the next 4-5 years I completed another three playthroughs with no luck. Finally, I just completed my sixth playthrough after just shy of 12 years and finally got Rockhound. If there's a President of the 349 club, you're reading their story. ? For all others stuck in the 349 club, good luck and electrify something in honor of all 349 members! ?

As much as I hated getting this trophy, I love inFamous and inFamous 2, so props to Sucker Punch. I didn't enjoy Second Son or First Light as much, but I'd still love to see another inFamous game.

Edited by LordSalochin

8 minutes ago, LordSalochin said:

I'm fairly certain there is a glitch in the game when it comes to blast shards. I all but platinumed inFamous in 2011. The only trophy I couldn't obtain was Rockhound. I think I got everything else in less than a month. My first playthrough I ran around every building, scaled every building, checked under/over every obstacle, and went off the edge of every island looking for the last shard. In other words, no stone unturned. I even blew-up 1000s of cars trying to find that last shard in case it was a massive joke by Sucker Punch. My second playthrough same thing, but I got the Evil Finish trophy. During this playthrough I tried multiple maps, but nothing got me past the 349/350 mark. Over the next 4-5 years I completed another three playthroughs with no luck. Finally, I just completed my sixth playthrough after just shy of 12 years and finally got Rockhound. If there's a President of the 349 club, you're reading their story. ? For all others stuck in the 349 club, good luck and electrify something in honor of all 349 members! ?

As much as I hated getting this trophy, I love inFamous and inFamous 2, so props to Sucker Punch. I didn't enjoy Second Son or First Light as much, but I'd still love to see another inFamous game.

I found that the one that is easily missed is the one under the bridge that gets destroyed on your way to the third island. It requires backtracking a lot on the bridge and the bridge is ground you think you have already gone over but part of the journey over the bridge happens via cutscene so you haven't actually checked that part of the map.

It was this damn shard that finally got me from 349 to 350.

41 minutes ago, Captain_Emo23 said:

I found that the one that is easily missed is the one under the bridge that gets destroyed on your way to the third island. It requires backtracking a lot on the bridge and the bridge is ground you think you have already gone over but part of the journey over the bridge happens via cutscene so you haven't actually checked that part of the map.

It was this damn shard that finally got me from 349 to 350.

I thought that too, but no, I went back there multiple times. I did read online somewhere that you'd have to go way out of your way to miss that one due to the location and the story line. Congrats on hitting 350!

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2023 at 11:38 PM, Abdizur87 said:

Know the feeling, Infamous was the first game I collected trophies for and I'm missing only 2 blast shards from getting the platinum. 

Gave up over a decade ago might try again who knows. 1f61e.png

Good luck on your quest for the illusive blast shards! I stopped trying to platinum games after Infamous, unless it was accidental. End of last year I started going back to see if I could platinum some of my old games. The one problem I'm having so far is that I'll never platinum games that require a connection to the servers they've shutdown. If anything, I'm hoping to at least get a higher rank on PSN Profiles. Let the games begin! ?⚔️

This will probably sound ridiculous, but years ago when I was collecting the shards, I got my laptop and googled the game maps with shard locations. I put tiny pieces of blu tac on my screen where the pieces were, and went to collect them, removing the blu tac whenever I got a shard.

Did this for every district map. Was a bit tedious but worked for me ?