Game Etiquette

Dragn_Whytefyre

Now most people undoubtedly know this, but based on a recent experience, it apparently needs to be said: When someone is showing respect by bowing to you...DON'T FREAKIN' ATTACK THEM MID-BOW! Just had a "gentleman" do that to me. So not cool people. Yes, it's just a game. But even so, it won't kill you to show a modicum of respect to those attempting to show some to you.

Basically, don't be an asshat.

Now most people undoubtedly know this, but based on a recent experience, it apparently needs to be said: When someone is showing respect by bowing to you...DON'T FREAKIN' ATTACK THEM MID-BOW! Just had a "gentleman" do that to me. So not cool people. Yes, it's just a game. But even so, it won't kill you to show a modicum of respect to those attempting to show some to you.

Lol, I will never be able to read this post without the hint of a smile. I am in 100% agreement with you but I think (or would at least like to think) that you are preaching to the choir here. In my experience the people that engage in that type pf behavior probably don't frequent this site.

Welcome to most of the pvp'ers now. They'll run at you first thing.

But you'll come across the good bunch who will have honour in duels, so it's not completely dead :P

Actually, most of the players I've met don't do that. I'd say a good 90% either bow first or return bows. Only met a handful of jackasses who don't.

Sort of makes you wonder what they're like in real life, doesn't it?

It's nice to show honour but you can't really get angry at those who don't. The point of PvP is to kill the other guy, not sit around making friends. They saw a chance to kill you and they took it, nothing wrong with that.

lol I don't make friends. In fact, there are, wait let me count... 1,2... yeah. Zero in my friends list. And I agree, the point of PvP is to win. Still doesn't mean they can't wait until a bow has concluded.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not a big fan of cheap shots.

And for the record, I suuuuuuck at PvP. lol I really do. I lose so many more than I win, but I get a kick out of it, so I keep doing it. Actually, PvP may be the only reason I'm glad the Souls games don't keep stats. Not sure I'd want to know my PvP win/loss record.

Edited by Dragn_Dolphin
  • Like 2

lol I don't make friends. In fact, there are, wait let me count... 1,2... yeah. Zero in my friends list. And I agree, the point of PvP is to win. Still doesn't mean they can't wait until a bow has concluded.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not a big fan of cheap shots.

And for the record, I suuuuuuck at PvP. lol I really do. I lose so many more than I win, but I get a kick out of it, so I keep doing it. Actually, PvP may be the only reason I'm glad the Souls games don't keep stats. Not sure I'd want to know my PvP win/loss record.

How did you count to 2 and ended up in 0 friends? :o

I get the frustration, but it's like playing Rocket League and expect not to get hit with a yo mama joke, it's not how it works most times

The first rule of war is to attack when your enemy doesn't expect it.

Huh. I always thought the first rule was "know thy enemy".

How did you count to 2 and ended up in 0 friends? :o

I get the frustration, but it's like playing Rocket League and expect not to get hit with a yo mama joke, it's not how it works most times

Yeah. I suck at math too.

Hmm it depends on the pvp situation.  If i summon someone for pvp i show respect .  But if someone invades me while i focusing on story progress , than i kill him on cheapest ways i can xD .  Someone invaded me and was blocking my way , than he stand behind a chest and waited that i attack him (i knew already that this chest was a mimic )  So i used the item that invaders can get attackt of normal enemys too. He didnt released it so i attacked the mimic , dodged it and suddenly it attacked the invader. :) he was so confused that he died quickly ! 

But i see your point , if you put down sign for pvp , respect should be higher than invade situations.

Edited by Xionx

Oh, I encountered much worse!  Some guy summoned my red-purple sign at Anor Londo and when I got there, he already had two gold phantoms with him.  So, the first thing I did, I ran to the bonfire and sit down...so I don't have to go far to recover my souls.  After they finished the two silver knights, they rushed back to the bonfire to kill me.  I was nice enough to let them fight off the silver knights and that was the kindness they returned.  I put up a good fight and almost killed the host too; he drank estus like no tomorrow, but the one of his phantoms got me from behind.   Oh well, I didn't expect to win anyway, but what was the point of summoning someone for dual when it was 3 against 1. 

A friend and I were co-oping. Got invaded, so we decided to be honourable about it and take turns.

I went first, we bowed, etc, and started to fight. Estus happened so the fight was taking a while, but my friend, who was the host, stayed on the sidelines watching and cheering me via party chat. Eventually, the invader fell off the edge of where we were fighting. Rather than plunge him for the cheap kill, I waited for him to return to the arena, estus up again, and we resumed battle.

Eventually, he got me with a parry.

But then, the guy backstabbed the host who was bowing rather than running straight in and, when my friend fell off the same edge later, had no compunction about chasing him over the edge to get the cheap kill himself. 

Misleading us into thinking he was a man of honour, then not acting honourably was rude!

Red phantoms are human too and they have feeling too.  It's a very tough life as red.  Red phantoms have 40% less health and they usually at the lower level than the host.  The odd is against them.   To all the red phantoms out there, they have my respect and if they bow, I even respect them more.

in my experience 90% they bow too and don't attack, seriously make a topic about it?

if you are good at pvp, you kill them...even being hit during a bowing

GIT GUD B)

As I stated previously, I suuuuuuck at PvP. So yes, I made a topic about it. But even were I the world's greatest player, I'd still find it somewhat dishonorable to be attacked mid-bow.

Seriously, a bow takes like three seconds to complete. If you (general term. Not you specifically) can't wait three seconds to attack and have to have that cheap shot, then you must suck worse than I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some completely retarded INVADER invade me, keyword invader. They bowed, which is alright - it does not matter, they invaded me. I proceed to kill them and they sent a message saying stuff like "I bow, you bow" and they said a few things to protect their ego. If someone invades it is a NON-MUTUAL fight and therefore they are no rules here, you invade, they didn't want to fight, they will kill you. Most invaders know this and go straight to kill host or kill them using whatever methods they can. This aforementioned person is a person who knows nothing about pvp etiquette but they think they do... Don't be this guy, it only takes common sense to not be this guy.

Now, etiquette is when you use Red Soapstones as this is a MUTUAL fight where both people want to fight. Of course sometimes people won't follow any rules but this is more likely if you are dumping it in any old position. If you place it in a common place for Fight Clubs (even if it's a 1v1 here people will be more educated as they know where to put the soapstones) then you should expect to be able to walk around freely and wait for a fight, with all the rules of Dark Souls etiquette. All in all though don't get mad, if they are coming at you from the get go, you know they aren't respecting any rules and it means you don't need to either: so don't get your knickers in a twist about it. In fight clubs if someone's breaking rules they will get REKT by all members watching.

I only invaded so far, and i go for thé throat asap. I will take all the handbook dirty tricks to get you out of commission. Hidden body, caméléon, crystal soûl spear in thé back or while your fighting mob. Silent stepping ring. Retreat into mobs hit and run tactics to make you waste your estus flasks.

Npc invaders dont bow ether. If i invade and you bow i will shoot you, no questions asked.

It's Dark Souls dude...there is no etiquette. The whole point of invasions was to enhance the experience of playing the main game. Not all invaders are invading for duels...they maybe just coming to troll you.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read every reply to see if this has been pointed out yet or not, but I will attack people mid-bow, or mid-whatever, all day when they are invading me. You don't invade to duel. Use the red soapstone. It's ludicrous. 

• 3 weeks later...

You can talk about the art of war and all of that crap all you want, attacking mid-bow is cheap and disrespectful. It says a lot about a person and the means said player is willing to use to achieve a goal. It's effective, just makes me wonder how much of a piece of shit that peron is in real life as well.