[DELETED]

rmpgaming

I too once had a few OCD behaviors. Nothing too major, mind you, but bad enough to start bothering me.

What I did to cure myself was just... go cold turkey. Do precisely the thing(s) you don't want to happen. Play a game with an impossible platinum. Force yourself to stop playing those grindy game you don't even want to play anymore. And then, and this is the tough part, persevere. Constantly tell yourself: "I DO NOT need all my games at 100%. I play games FOR FUN. Who cares if they're not complete?". And tell those things to yourself as many times as needed. I'm not going to lie to you: it's going to be tough. Curing OCD is always tough, especially when going cold turkey, but I do find it is the fastest and most efficient way to rid yourself of those demons. You will spend a few rough months because that feeling of not having a complete profile will always be nagging at you in the back of your head, but as long as you persevere, it'll go away after around half a year or something.

I'm not going to lie to you: this procedure is not for everyone, but I do find excessive discipline is the fastest and most effective way to counter excessive discipline (OCD). Fight fire with fire. If you think you have it in you (and you most likely do), then go ahead and try it.

• Like 1

You could ask Sony to sponsor a therapist for you, and in exchange they could analyze your brain so they could make games even more addictive!

And maybe they'll throw in some freebies while they're at it... True win-win :P

You need to suck it up man. Either complete the game or don't. Like Mayus said, that OCD gets thrown around too freely. Watch the movie As Good As It Gets. If you are anything like Melvin Udall, then you have OCD. However, I suspect that isn't the case.

I love seeing 100% down my list of games. I have accepted the fact that one of these days, the servers will shut down or crash for a game I'm working on and I'll never be able to finish it. It won't be the end of the world. I won't have a nervous breakdown. Shit happens. Although, I've never let difficulty or an uber grind keep me from playing a game. Nor has it yet to keep me from obtaining 100%. Everybody has their caveat I suppose.

• Like 1

The easy solution would be for Sony to allow users to delete games in their list even if they already earned a trophy for them.

I don't really get why they don't allow that.
I have games in my list that I already sold or that weren't even mine. Some games were put in my PlayStation during a gaming session with some friends because said friends brought them over. Being able to delete games even if I have a trophy in them would really be helpful in tidying up my trophy list :D

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

Take a step back and ask yourself why you feel this way. They way I see it, gaming is supposed to be fun. At the point at which you stop having fun, move on to another game. Put this one that's giving you trouble on your "I'll get back to it later" list if you want to finish it one day. Or don't, it's up to you.

You're the only one doing this to yourself OP. And, knowing that, you'll also appreciate that you have the power to stop engaging in this way of thinking which is robbing you of the fun you should be having while engaging in your hobby. 

Whenever these topics come up, I usually post these videos, because I have found them helpful. Apologies to those who have seen them before, but maybe OP can find something in them they can apply to their situation.

• Like 4

Please, can anyone advise me how to get over this problem? Please no insensitive comments. I get it, it's a meaningless trophy list. Believe me, I'm obsessed but not stupid. But my own demons and obsessive compulsiveness are really getting me down and I'd like to move on. Do I just keep going with this game or admit that 100% is putting too much pressure on myself?

I got rid of my 100% OCD by having an unobtainable plat on the account, so that would be my recommendation. At first you'll hate it a lot, but after a while getting a 100% in every game won't be so important anymore and you'll also save a lot of money on overpriced DLC. 

Edited by Dragon-Archon

The easy solution would be for Sony to allow users to delete games in their list even if they already earned a trophy for them.

I don't really get why they don't allow that.

I have games in my list that I already sold or that weren't even mine. Some games were put in my PlayStation during a gaming session with some friends because said friends brought them over. Being able to delete games even if I have a trophy in them would really be helpful in tidying up my trophy list :D

Neither does xbox. I'm guessing it might be to do with somesort of signature that can't be removed when unlocked or something. Its only the ps4 that allows deleting 0% as it is. 

Something tells me if they did it though the extra work load from idiots deleting the wrong game and asking for it back, then the moaning on the forums and twitter/whatever about how sony stole my trophies and suck ect is just not worth it.

I don't think its a needed feature. At all.

• Like 2

I sympathize with you, OP. I have (had?) the same issue, even more serious, but I realized it's not OCD (like Mayus said, thrown around too easily), it's that I developed arbitrary set of rules to organize my world. Rule #1 - play one game, do not start anything new until 100% in this one. Rule #2 - when you finish said game and there is a new DLC for a previous game with trophies - immediately go for it. Rule 3# (and now it gets weird) - organize you games by colors (yeah, game images have to vary in colors). Rule 4# - max 4 plats in a row, then a 100%. And you know what? It's cool to have rules, but they break your fun. So what I did was to fight fire with fire. I made up new rules. When I got my Vita I knew that rule #1 would be stupid when on holidays, because I couldn't play Vita games with unfinished PS3 and PS4 games. So I made a new rule: Rule 5# - "Vita games can jump in whenever they want". But I didn't cross out rule number 1, no. I still had to finish vita game to start another vita game. And I felt so alright with it, that I extended it into Rule 5.5# - "All consoles can have their games started independently". And you know what? I can now game whenever I want and I have three projects running simultaneously, so I can jump around games when I feel bored. Combine this with jrdemr's advice and you'll be fine ;).

Best of luck!

Neither does xbox. I'm guessing it might be to do with somesort of signature that can't be removed when unlocked or something. Its only the ps4 that allows deleting 0% as it is. 

Something tells me if they did it though the extra work load from idiots deleting the wrong game and asking for it back, then the moaning on the forums and twitter/whatever about how sony stole my trophies and suck ect is just not worth it.

Simple: make it so you can hide games from yourself. You could even make that feature reduce your PSN level, effectively making it like the game was never really on your profile. That way, they're never really deleted, and if even if they are hidden by mistake, you can easily retrieve them by yourself, since they're still stored on your console somewhere.

Grow up

Now that was a really helpful answer to someone's serious problem... :rolleyes:

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

Simple: make it so you can hide games from yourself. You could even make that feature reduce your PSN level, effectively making it like the game was never really on your profile. That way, they're never really deleted, and if even if they are hidden by mistake, you can easily retrieve them by yourself, since they're still stored on your console somewhere.

I wouldn't see a issue with that, nice idea for those that want it:)

Apologies for going off topic here a bit to the OP :) 

Carry on guys:D

• Like 1

And that is probably what would happen too. The zero percent is fine.

I would love to get a 100% profile but that will never happend because I accidentally bought a game that online servers don't work anymore.I buy games that I want to play If they are grindy or hard you just have to accept and move on.Play it for fun then Have a crack at all the trophies if it's giving you grief then move on to another game and play the other one later.

Most 100% accounts are not that impressive anyways tbh. Just a ton of easy games that don't take long to complete or stacking Telltale games.

Most 100% accounts are not that impressive anyways tbh. Just a ton of easy games that don't take long to complete or stacking Telltale games.

It's better to have a crack at some hard games then have all easy ones.Its ok to have a few easy platniums but also having a few hard platniums will improve your rarity as well.

If you're playing a game you're not enjoying just to get the platinum then I think you really need to re-evaluate why you play games. Don't let it feed into your OCD, I know it's easier said than done but that's all the advice I can give. If it's really bad and you have means to do so maybe see a therapist.

Edited by Mayadome

Grow up

This.

How old are you? Do you have any responsabilities? It seems like your only problem is not achieving a virtual stat. When you grow up you get more responsabilities and you're so tired of bullsh*t from real life that you won't have patience for insignificant crap like 100% completion.

• Like 1

This.

How old are you? Do you have any responsabilities? It seems like your only problem is not achieving a virtual stat. When you grow up you get more responsabilities and you're so tired of bullsh*t from real life that you won't have patience for insignificant crap like 100% completion.

Said by a 19 yr old (judging by PSNid). Some "grown ups" play games with quirky agendas, not only to have fun, but to feel that they have achieved something. Sounds stupid? Tell that to people that like to be scared to death by some horror survivals. Is it enjoyable to them? Yes. Is it enjoyable to me? Hell no! To each it's own. Even if it's some way to approach game completion. Be respectful.

• Like 4

Said by a 19 yr old (judging by PSNid). Some "grown ups" play games with quirky agendas, not only to have fun, but to feel that they have achieved something. Sounds stupid? Tell that to people that like to be scared to death by some horror survivals. Is it enjoyable to them? Yes. Is it enjoyable to me? Hell no! To each it's own. Even if it's some way to approach game completion. Be respectful.

I respected the OP, they asked for help and I did it. That's how I got rid of my addition for videogames.

On a side note, I still remember how people were impressed back in 2001 when a 4 year old could play Runescape...

I respected the OP, they asked for help and I did it. That's how I got rid of my addition for videogames.

I don't think you really did, he was opening up and asking us for help and all you did was shrug off his serious problem as something that he'll grow out of eventually. If it's serious enough that he'd come to us for help, then one should do one's best to be respectful (which again, I don't think you were) and kind and give him actual advice on how to overcome his problem.

Not to mention, it doesn't seem like you "got rid" of your videogame addiction (as in that you didn't do anything with the intent to overcome it), it just seems like real life got in the way and forced you to give it up. He's asking for advice on how to consciously and purposefully overcome his own addiction.

Just play other games or you'll get bored.  You'll get the 100% eventually.  I'll play a game, say a GoW game, finish that and grind on a game that's on my list, I've yet to finish.  I have a few games that you need to grind myself.  You'll be OK.....

By the looks of things you're doing the right thing, playing other games in between.

It doesn't matter what anyone says you're going to want to get 100% so just take your time.

The best advice going forward is to create an alternate account and any games you're not sure about or want to specifically play your friends at then just use that and preserve your main account.

however..

If you really want to break the 100% cycle the only way it can really be done is to ignore your trophy card, stop sync'ing trophies, turn off trophy notifications, basically ignore everything trophy related and enjoy games for what they are. Failing that I'm afraid the only way is to stop gaming altogether.

• Like 1

Please, can anyone advise me how to get over this problem? Please no insensitive comments. I get it, it's a meaningless trophy list. Believe me, I'm obsessed but not stupid. But my own demons and obsessive compulsiveness are really getting me down and I'd like to move on. Do I just keep going with this game or admit that 100% is putting too much pressure on myself?

You haven't checked back in, so I see your claimed "OCD" only applies to finishing games, not checking back on posts. :P  If you have such a serious problem and are already acknowledging your problem, but haven't been able to do anything yourself to change, it appears you're completely unable to make the change on your own.

Here's what I propose: Give the word and I'll get your account permanently banned from PSN. It'll be completely out of your control, and you won't be able to do anything about it. Then you can start a new account and maintain your OCD 100% or not, that'll be your choice going forward. Continue the cycle or break it.

I'm only partially joking. If I were one of your friends and you brought this to me, I'd ask for your password to your PSN and change it on you then delete the profile from your system. Outside action is the only thing that forces the change your asking for.

If you want to change, then change. If you can't do it on your own, and you still say you want to, get someone to do something drastic so you have no choice then don't go back afterward.

Get some games with unobtainable trophies stuck on your profile, that will devalue the importance of 100%ing everything, because you have no possibility of doing it, so it's not on your 'conscience' anymore.

I recently began wanting to 100% all of my games, but I have things like FIFA09 on my profile, and the servers are gone for it, so I have no choice. That helps me to detach myself from other difficult games that I can't get done, like Super Meat Boy. 

I cringe when I see titles like this one.

The thing is, not having 100% on a particular game and really wanting to get it does not make someone OCD.

There is a lot of online pressure, especially from websites like this one where some people might feel inferior if they (for example) cannot 100% Sound Shapes, this of course does not make them OCD, they just feel inferior and think it's a form of OCD when it is not.

Real OCD sufferers would first check to see if the game could be completed (probably checking at least 3 times) and then they would weigh up the chances of them being able to 100% the game, if they felt it was not overly easy then they probably wouldn't even touch the game in the first place, because they know how it would make them feel if they couldn't 100% it.

Simply being unable to complete a game and asking for help by saying you suffer with OCD doth butter no parsnips with me.

No offence intended, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1