PETA has bone to pick with Pokemon

Lady Lilith

http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2012/10/09/peta-has-bone-to-pick-with-pokemon/?cxntfid=blogs_business_beat

PETA has a bone to pick with Pokemon, and it’s over how the popular Nintendo video game treats its big-eyed virtual characters.

The animal rights group, which normally focuses on the abuse of dogs, cats and other animals in the real world, has crossed over into the virtual world to launch a protest against Nintendo’s newest Pokemon game, “Black and White 2.”

PETA, which stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, complains the characters in “Black and White 2,” all of whom are collectively called Pokemon, are abused by their “trainers.”

“The difference between real life and this fictional world full of organized animal fighting is that Pokémon games paint rosy pictures of things that are actually horrible,” PETA says on a website that promotes a parody video game, “Pokemon Black & Blue – Gotta Free ‘em All.”

PETA says Pokemon have suffered at the hands of their “cruel” trainers for generations. In its parody game, one of the Pokemon characters, Pikachu, battered with splotches of blood, bandaged and wearing a broken neck brace, rises up to confront one of the trainers, Cheren, who also appears blood-spattered and holding a bat, ready to beat down Pikachu’s defiance.

The player gets the option of allowing Pikachu to deliver a quick attack, a thunder shock, a group hug or protest. The player’s goal is to “exploit a trainer’s weakness and defeat all the trainers to free all Pokemon.”

According to CNET, Black and White 2 was released in July in Japan and is expected in North America, Europe, and Australia this month.

The Pokemon series – there are more than 600 fictional species – is second only to Nintendo’s Mario when it comes to global video game popularity.

CNET notes that this isn’t the first time PETA has launched attacks against virtual characters. It protested Nintendo’s “Super Mario 3D Land” game for dressing Mario in a fur suit and Zinga’s “Mafia Wars” game’s use of pit bulls as attack dogs.

First Super Mario 3D Land with "fur peddling", now Pokemon with animal cruelty...Yeah, they're fucking idiots, why didn't they do this when Pokemon FIRST CAME OUT, you know, instead of nearly 15 years after it came out. Probably would have made their campaign actually matter, instead of everyone laughing at them for trying to do this so late into the game. They had the same problem with Mario 3D Land...I mean, Mario had the Raccoon/Tanuki suit in SMB3, which was ~20 years ago. But who cares, because they're pretty much the laughing stock of the animal care world anyway.

• Like 4

Are these idiots seriously that bored? It's just a game, and as the OP stated, they have taken way too long for this to be taken seriously. They should actually complain about something relevant, rather than trying to accuse the gaming industry (they seem to really hate Nintendo in particular) of endorsing animal cruelty. What's the next game that they're going to target, Tokyo Jungle, because it shows animals killing each other? I think I'm just going to ignore PETA from now on, they don't seem worth it.

Edit: I wonder if PETA is aware that this little parody could land them in some trouble if anyone who is part of the development team for the Pokemon games or even the creator of the series finds it offensive or defamatory, not trying to cause trouble myself, I'm pointing out a rather obvious hypothetical scenario.

Edited by Blanc_WhiteHeart

I agree. Especially considering the ratio of intelligent, pleasant people to the number of idiotic douchebags out there.

And the ratio of little fluffy things to douchebags. It just seems that people are nearly always just another obstacle, put in your path to irritate and inconvenience.

Oh, and LOL@PETA. I've always known they were stupid... but this?! This takes the cake.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is pathetic why would PETA bother with a game which has been going strong for the past 10 years with nothing bad said against it before this stuff by PETA :S

Side note: Just played the game that PETA made and its so stupid but funny at the same time to play :awesome:

• 1 year later...

Maybe they don't have nothing to do so they attack on video games. I don't say PETA sucks, they save animals and that's good, very good, but now trying to take down games is just stupid, only a stupid moron would do what you see in video games.

Except they don't save animals.  They don't even support animal homeless shelters (I'm sure there's a better term for this, but I'm tired as hell and forget) or the people who give so much time for those animals.  PETA is full of douchebags.

PETA are the biggest hypocrites of the world. Just about every point or movement they do and stand for is hypocritical to their organisation. I think it would be better for the animals and just about everybody if they didn't exist. To me, they are the most pointless organisation to ever exist.

• Like 1

They didn't really go after X and Y so much as they did McDonalds with their sequel flash game (unless I somehow missed it) and seemed to mostly go after McDonalds, which they target in 90% of their games/propaganda.

Unlike the previous "Black and Blue" game, this one actually features PETA itself (unless they did in the previous game, aside from mere mentions, and I forgot) and Pikachu provides the, pardon my language, ideological masturbation throughout the game.  Interestingly enough, the last "pokemon" you recruit into your cavalcade of crapiness  in Grimace.  Why is this interesting?  Because PETA couldn't even be assed to check their own script or even do better research on their most hated enemy because he tells you that he's one of McDoanld's "retired mascots", despite the fact that the only active mascot for the fast food chain has been the red haired clown himself, yet the very first enemy of the game is the Hamburgler.  The retired mascots haven't been seen since 2004.

Another little tidbit about Grimace is the fact that the game appears to be unwinnable against Ronald McDonald (Um....spoiler?  ah, you probably weren't even going to play this shitty game, and even if you were, you had to have known) unless you use a certain attack first.  I had all of my characters alive and moderately healthy until the last battle, but Ronald's attacks are so powerful and the damage you deal is so miniscule that you cannot hope to beat him.  The only way I found to beat him is to use Grimace, but you can't just attack him.  No, no.  Instead you need to use one of Grimace's support attacks (I forget what it's called) which makes him eat a cinder block (...or is it tofu?  I get them mixed up sometimes) and THEN you use an attack, which pretty much takes out 3/4 of Ronald's HP.

It would have made more sense to use an actual animal character, like Birdie.  I mean, she was a bird for frig's sake, and they're constantly complaining about chicken nuggets and the like.  However, pokemon isn't the only Nintedo franchise to get knocked by PETA, and neither is Mario (if you've seen their other games, you'll know).  If you check the summaries for Miltank ad Jigglypuff, you'll find their OTs are Dr. Light and Professor Layton respectively.  Really, PETA?  You're making passes at franchises that have nothing to do with animals?

In short:  If you want a good laugh, go ahead ad play it.  Just get ready for an onslaught of lunacy and ideological masturbation that would make Congress blush.

Edited by mtlshdwoverlord7

Except they don't save animals.  They don't even support animal homeless shelters (I'm sure there's a better term for this, but I'm tired as hell and forget) or the people who give so much time for those animals.  PETA is full of douchebags.

They were protesting against Pokemon because of bat treating to animals so I though they were doing that.

Now if they don't do that then PETA is nothing. But I still stand what I said.

Maybe they don't have nothing to do so they attack on video games.  trying to take down games is just stupid, only a stupid moron would do what you see in video games.

And that's it

Edited by BrunoBomb

The 2 most hateful and hypocritical groups on this planet are PETA - who murders thousands of animals a year, and the Westboro Baptist Church.

I say we gather all the members from each group and lock them in a room together and whoever survives is then King/Queen of the douchebags and thrown into a volcano.

But seriously if they want to help improve the world they should all just off themselves.