Kill Your Completion... Again(Finished)

On 2/18/2017 at 2:38 AM, Crimson Idol said:

I guess I'm one of those few that totally disliked Transistor. My main gripe is the battle system which I didn't like at all. This mix of active (and rather slow) combat combined with the planning wasn't something I enjoyed.

It's funny you say that. I feel afraid to say this, but I absolutely loved Transistor, and disliked Bastion. I did play them in reverse order, but Transistor had so much more customization. I loved it! Bastion, not so much. And that seems like it's sacreligious to say!

And as for the topic at hand, my gaming OCD is getting way to bad. Something like this might be what I need!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jaguargenie said:

It's funny you say that. I feel afraid to say this, but I absolutely loved Transistor, and disliked Bastion. I did play them in reverse order, but Transistor had so much more customization. I loved it! Bastion, not so much. And that seems like it's sacreligious to say!

Why are you afraid to say that? Each and everyone has his/her own opinion and I can understand that people like the customization of the battle system. But personally I'm more into the either a real time-system or a turn-based system but not this strange mix in between.

7 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Why are you afraid to say that? Each and everyone has his/her own opinion and I can understand that people like the customization of the battle system. But personally I'm more into the either a real time-system or a turn-based system but not this strange mix in between.

Sounds a bit like White Knight Chronicles for me. You set up all these different attack configurations, then you ran around in real time, but then it was a weird pause thing where you had to use your menus for individual attacks. Played that game for like an hour and just said nope. That was long before I started trophy hunting too, so it's not like I was afraid to attempt the plat.

Oh yeah, 

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/45664-kill-your-completion-v3-0/

I got motivated. 

Also finished Chariot last night. :dance:

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hemiak said:

Sounds a bit like White Knight Chronicles for me. You set up all these different attack configurations, then you ran around in real time, but then it was a weird pause thing where you had to use your menus for individual attacks. Played that game for like an hour and just said nope. That was long before I started trophy hunting too, so it's not like I was afraid to attempt the plat.

In Transistor it's like this:
You can use an ability to pause the battle and lay out your further moves by moving freely and choosing the following attacks until you used up all your movement energy. After that, you return to the real battle and that pattern is played, similar to a macro. IIRC you can also attack without using that planning menu but the normal movement is rather slow. The only really cool thing is that you can freely combine different abilities to create some cool attacks but it can also be annoying if you don't find a proper setup to handle some of the challenges. I somehow lost motivation in my second playthrough.

49 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

In Transistor it's like this:
You can use an ability to pause the battle and lay out your further moves by moving freely and choosing the following attacks until you used up all your movement energy. After that, you return to the real battle and that pattern is played, similar to a macro. IIRC you can also attack without using that planning menu but the normal movement is rather slow. The only really cool thing is that you can freely combine different abilities to create some cool attacks but it can also be annoying if you don't find a proper setup to handle some of the challenges. I somehow lost motivation in my second playthrough.

Interesting. Stuff like this I either usually enjoy, or completely detest. I do have it from ps+ so I'll find out once I get a ps4 I guess. 

23 hours ago, Jaguargenie said:

It's the same for me. I think Bastion is not as good as Transistor. That might be because I played Transistor first but I like the battle system more in this one.

Bastion isn't a bad game though. I especially like the training grounds and that the Bastion grows and you get new stuff there.

17 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Will this thread be shut when the new KYC officially starts?

1) The last thread has remained open as well, so people can keep updating on their event games :)

2) Since the big site update, thread owners can't close their own threads any more, only site staff can do so now :(

48 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Will this thread be shut when the new KYC officially starts?

It won't be, but expect it to pretty much die out. Feel free to continue posting here but anyone participating on the next event will probably just post any new updates there, even if they are for these games. 

On 2/16/2017 at 7:15 AM, DamagingRob said:

Well, I think I'm going to end up going retro this time. A lot of my choices are PS2 games I never played. And Shantae, 'cause I now have 2 of them sitting unplayed on my system. List is subject to change, but this is what I'm thinking of going with:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor(taking up a huge chunk of hard drive space),

This might make me evil but selfishly part of me wishes you were playing the PS3 version. Reading 3 days of your thoughts on that dumpster fire of a port would have been the highlight of all KYC events. Then again, I wouldn't wish that piece of shit on my worst enemy so guess I'm glad you are playing the PS4 version. :)

Haven't checked on the thread lately so I've been catching up on the last few pages of posts. All that talk of Nintendo Hard and NES games brought back some memories. Enjoyed watching that video that @Crimson Idol posted even though it gave me some terrifying flashbacks. Like Hemiak said, I didn't finish the majority of NES games that I played. Growing up, we lived right beside of a local movie/video game rental store so we rented different games every few days. Think I rented almost every single game they had and played them all for at least a couple of days. Whenever I browse a thread about those old games, it is very rare that I see something I haven't played at least once. Off topic but did anyone else frequent a store where certain games were never available to rent? Thinking back, I remember a couple of games like Baseball Stars and Ninja Gaiden were ALWAYS checked out. We would always get the owner to search through the "recently returned games" section behind the desk and it was like Christmas morning if one of those games were ever in stock. :awesome:

As for this event, I've recently played a couple of KYC games. Played quite a bit of Gran Turismo 6 lately, which was one of my games from the first event. It is now up to 76% completion but think I'm going to take another break from it for a while. I've realized that sim racers are just no longer for me and they drain all motivation I have for playing games. All that I have left is getting gold on a few license tests in the final two tiers, grind a lot of miles and a little bit of money, and a couple of miscellaneous trophies. I'll return to it one day and try to finish the plat but I need a break and just can't handle playing it anymore right now.

After that, I started playing Watch Dogs (from the 2nd event) the past few days. Put a good amount of time into the game this weekend but the trophies come slowly so I'm only at 14% right now. I keep getting distracted with all the random side stuff so I haven't made much progress in the story but I'm enjoying the game so far. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MStalker58 said:

This might make me evil but selfishly part of me wishes you were playing the PS3 version. Reading 3 days of your thoughts on that dumpster fire of a port would have been the highlight of all KYC events. Then again, I wouldn't wish that piece of shit on my worst enemy so guess I'm glad you are playing the PS4 version. :)

Lol. I'd heard it was a bad version, recently. Glad I waited to get it on PS4. I basically waited on many PS3 games that had PS4 versions, since I didn't want to increase that backlog anymore than I had to. 

3 hours ago, MStalker58 said:

After that, I started playing Watch Dogs (from the 2nd event) the past few days. Put a good amount of time into the game this weekend but the trophies come slowly so I'm only at 14% right now. I keep getting distracted with all the random side stuff so I haven't made much progress in the story but I'm enjoying the game so far. 

Glad you're enjoying it man. I did the same thing with the side quests. One or two story missions a day, Mim would fall asleep, 2 hours of side stuff.

Trophies are slow now but you'll get a big rush towards the end of the game, or chapter 3 if you've done everything by then. Plus it'll save you hours of nothing but side missions at the end. I like to get stuff out of the way so when I beat a game I'm done with it. It's always harder to motivate myself to grind stuff out once the main story is complete. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11-3-2017 at 7:54 AM, Edunstar84 said:

Going to work on Okami HD. I hope I can stick with this time around. I've been putting it off for a while.

12 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Finally working on another game from this event, Okami HD. It took me an hour to figure out where I was and how to get a handle on the controls. Earned 1 trophy, so let's see if I can stick with it.

I've been gifted Õkami HD through a different event on PSNP about two months ago, I decided to keep it for KYC3. It's the final game on my list so I can keep playing it.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

I've been gifted Õkami HD through a different event on PSNP about two months ago, I decided to keep it for KYC3. It's the final game on my list so I can keep playing it.

Good choice! I had the game last as well but got distracted. Oh well, better late than never.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright! I'm at 98% in Okami HD, so I'll just go ahead and write down my views on it. 

Oh god! This game. I really didn't enjoy it. Most of it was just so frustrating, especially the digging games you needed to do to progress the story. I also didn't enjoy the racing games, especially the Kai race, or the blockheads. That was a headache. What else...Oh yes, the fishing game - the last trophy I need. From the fishing I've already done, I know for certain it's gonna take me several hours to get them all. 

Graphics 10/10 - It is a beautiful game, especially rejuvenating the towns after blossoming the trees.

Gameplay 10/10 - The ability to switch weapons on the fly and use many items to help you with the battle was great. I also liked the brush strokes as a feature.

Soundtrack 9/10 - Would enjoy it more, if the ramblings of the NPCs didn't distract from it.

1 hour ago, DamagingRob said:

Didn't enjoy it, but all categories are 9 or 10/10? Call me crazy, but I don't think that's usually how those scores are figured.. 

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Maybe it's 10/10 out of 20/20.

I know it sounds weird, but the mini-games kind of sucked the joy out of the game. 

55 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wouldn't they be part of the gameplay score though?

Nope, the gameplay score is the easier part believe it or not. The mini-games I'm talking about are the digging games, racing against Kai and the mail carriers 3x each, the fishing game (still can't figure out how this works), and getting past the blockheads. For this one, you have to remember several dots in sequence.

Two of the racing games you need for the Stray Beads. 3 of the 5 digging games you need to complete to progress the story. With this in particular, the brush strokes might cause you to rage. It doesn't always work.

You'll see what I mean when you continue on.