Kill Your Completion... Again(Finished)

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Actually, does anyone have any suggestions for stuff that is more like RPGs, action RPGs, beat 'em ups and hack and slash that I might enjoy that I could probably get a physical copy for cheap now?  I just want to avoid MP required trophies.  God of War and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West are on the list to grab soon.  Just looking at PS3, but inexpensive PS4 games I shouldn't miss could help me as well.

Well, going from my list (this will concur with several other people's too):

Catlevania: Lord of Shadows - PS3

Any of the Arkham games - PS3/4

Dante's Inferno - PS3

Darksiders - PS3 (remastered on PS4)

Deadpool - PS3/4

Dust: An Elysian Tale - PS4

Any GoW game - PS3

Guacamelee! - PS3/4

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - PS3

Any Price of Persia game - PS3

Sleeping Dogs - PS3/4

South Park: The Stick of Truth - PS3/4

Stories: Path of Destinies - PS4

Transistor - PS4

WET - PS3

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - PS3

You may have played some/most of these already, but some to pick from.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Overpriced is the right price for me. I bought it at launch. xD

I hope you already have the Season Pass, otherwise the game can get boring pretty fast as the game's career is a bit pale. Personally I enjoyed it and even if you aren't good ar racing games you can get the plat rather easily. Some of the DLC-challenges are a quite tough, though. I especially remember that Tour-event:

Hide contents

It gets interesting at 9:40min. :D 

Well, I'm a cheap bastard, so tend to wait for a decent price drop :P.

And I ain't got the season pass or any DLC for that matter. I also have no intention of getting those, as I tried out the game before when it was on plus, for about 5 minutes and hated it. Just giving it a second chance during this event really

8 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Well, I'm a cheap bastard, so tend to wait for a decent price drop :P.

For me games have to be like wine. They have to sit in my shelves for several months or years before I think they are worthy enough to get played.
But still I reduced the amount of Day 1-purchases over the time.

10 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

And I ain't got the season pass or any DLC for that matter. I also have no intention of getting those, as I tried out the game before when it was on plus, for about 5 minutes and hated it. Just giving it a second chance during this event really

Okay, if i disliked it that fast than It's unlikely that you will enjoy it later as it won't change that much. But at least it will be a game that matches the event's name. :D 

3 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

For me games have to be like wine. They have to sit in my shelves for several months or years before I think they are worthy enough to get played.
But still I reduced the amount of Day 1-purchases over the time.

Okay, if i disliked it that fast than It's unlikely that you will enjoy it later as it won't change that much. But at least it will be a game that matches the event's name. :D 

I'm not even sure when I last bought a game day 1, possibly Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition... which ended up being somewhat a kick in the teeth considering the DLC ended up being a damn code :shakefist:.

True, it also gives me the possibility to have a game to rant about. It wouldn't be the same without it really xD.

Thanks for the suggestions!  Definitely gave some games I need to check out and Gamestop certainly has a bunch of cheap games since it seems they are starting to phase out the PS3 entirely and that means great deals.  Remember Me definitely sounds up my alley and I've been meaning to try the Dynasty Warriors games and similar sorts.  Not so sure about Sleeping Dogs though since it seems to have gunfights and driving parts and I am horrible at that stuff.

But at least I have some better ideas of what to go and grab from the bargain bin.  I hope they do a 4 for $10 or $20 soon as well since I'd like some new stuff now that I'm not completely broke anymore.

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Thanks for the suggestions!  Definitely gave some games I need to check out and Gamestop certainly has a bunch of cheap games since it seems they are starting to phase out the PS3 entirely and that means great deals.  Remember Me definitely sounds up my alley and I've been meaning to try the Dynasty Warriors games and similar sorts.  Not so sure about Sleeping Dogs though since it seems to have gunfights and driving parts and I am horrible at that stuff.

But at least I have some better ideas of what to go and grab from the bargain bin.  I hope they do a 4 for $10 or $20 soon as well since I'd like some new stuff now that I'm not completely broke anymore.

I'll go ahead and and recommend Remember Me. It's slow in the beginning though. The first time I played it I stopped in Ch.3. 

9 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Okay, if strategy-based games are your pet genre it's understandable that it's a good example to show a bad game. Overall I have to say that the Hyperdimension-games are below-average to average when it comes to their gameplay mechanics but somehow I really enjoy most of those stupid dialogs and self-references they have. Sometimes even I have to say that it's plain dumb but they still have enough points to give me a good time. I only played one Dynasty Warriors so far (and casually as I am I only played on Normal) but I have to say that it was a decent game to spend some time (~80 hours) with.

It's kind of weird for me to hate so much on the Hyperdevotion game since, instead of the original developers Compile Heart, it was developed by Sting Entertainment. These were the same developers for Dungeon Travelers 2, in which the demo had you fighting bored looking fruit and my goodness that has to win the award for laziest monster design. The only reason I was interested was that Tears to Tiara II got me interested in Aquaplus and boy did that demo kill any chance of me buying that game.

There's a few games that I like that are freaking stupidly campy, like Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear Solid 3, but Hyperdevotion felt like Family Guy in having to explain the jokes. I previously mentioned the Troll 2 reference but I'll give a comparison between a character in this game and Fire Emblem Awakening. Both games have a character that speaks in a melodramatic fashion, but one game writes the simplified form of their dialogue below what they just said while the other game has other characters be angry at the character or play along with them. Dare to guess which game does which?

If the franchise is still alive in five years I'll probably give it another shot to see if there are improvements. It's nice to hear that you do enjoy playing those games and hopefully Hyperdevotion would be a treat, I wish I could have enjoyed it to the same level that you probably will. I've had some time to think and maybe wrestling and Pokemon are a few good targets to get some jabs at.

Edited by Mendant909

8 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

LMAO! We are kindred spirits, I feel the same way.  Even as a kid, I peferred the Castle LEGOs over the Space sets. 

About 95% of my collection is LEGO Star Wars :(

Even from my old sets from my childhood: largest is the Black Monarch Castle, second largest is a spaceship.

OT, how's this for killing my completion: I just sold my Vita.

I've been playing less and less on it this past year. Even on my last two holidays I've barely used it, and when I did it was mostly because "I just HAVE to play on it once in a while to get through those PS+ games" or because I wanted to play on my PS4 but did not have a television available. I'm saving for my Switch now so I'm selling some stuff, and I realised that once I own a Switch I would probably not even take the Vita with me any more. Better figure this out now and use it to fund the Switch than to realise it two years later...

A game store gave me a trade in value of just €25 less than I paid for it in a store two years ago and I only used it for PS+ games and PS4 gaming on holidays so I think it's money well spent. It has now funded Zelda and half of a double joy pack.

Edited by BillyHorrible

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

A game store gave me a trade in value of just €25 less than I paid for it in a store two years ago and I only used it for PS+ games and PS4 gaming on holidays so I think it's money well spent. It has now funded Zelda and half of a double joy pack.

I actually did about the same with my 3DS.  Haven't been playing it and sold most of the games already (only ones I have left are Rune Factory 4 and Bravely Default and I'll sell those on ebay eventually).  Gamestop gave me $100 for it.  I paid $109 for it when I got it (refurbished model and Nintendo was having a sale on them when I got mine).  I just can't get into platforms without trophies or achievements anymore.  Consoles and handhelds actually get a pretty decent trade in value compared to games.

4 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I actually did about the same with my 3DS.  Haven't been playing it and sold most of the games already (only ones I have left are Rune Factory 4 and Bravely Default and I'll sell those on ebay eventually).  Gamestop gave me $100 for it.  I paid $109 for it when I got it (refurbished model and Nintendo was having a sale on them when I got mine).  I just can't get into platforms without trophies or achievements anymore.  Consoles and handhelds actually get a pretty decent trade in value compared to games.

I traded in my 3DS, the two or three games I had for it and €10 or so for the Vita :D I made a bit more of a loss on that than you did though, but I still got a good value. Nothing to do with trophies thoug, I still use my SNES and I want that Switch (I think a trophy systwm for it is only fine if they use that in-game coin system a couple of games have, that's actually useful since you can use it to get a discount on digital games). No offence (since I used to be a completionist on my X360 myself) but I now think achievements and trophies can ruin gaming a bit.

I also traded in my Wii and its games a week or two, three ago by the way, for very good value (not a lot but I did not pay a lot either, I actually made a bit of a profit on the console). It went towards the Switch and The Last Guardian.

11 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

OT, how's this for killing my completion: I just sold my Vita.

Nah, it's not really killing your completion. Most of the games you played on Vita are Cross-Buy and with a shared trophy list so you can play them on your PS3 or PS4 still. :P  

Nonetheless I would say it was a smart decision to sell the device if you didn't care for it anymore. That's the same I did with our Wii U and the money cross-financed the New 3DS I bought and that has more benefits for us or can be used for other nice things. 

20 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

LMAO! We are kindred spirits, I feel the same way.  Even as a kid, I peferred the Castle LEGOs over the Space sets. 

I was always the boring kid that prefered the City LEGO. But I was always envious of the kids that had those cool castles. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

Nah, it's not really killing your completion. Most of the games you played on Vita are Cross-Buy and with a shared trophy list so you can play them on your PS3 or PS4 still. :P  

Nonetheless I would say it was a smart decision to sell the device if you didn't care for it anymore. That's the same I did with our Wii U and the money cross-financed the New 3DS I bought and that has more benefits for us or can be used for other nice things. 

I was always the boring kid that prefered the City LEGO. But I was always envious of the kids that had those cool castles. :D

I think you overestimate my Vita use. I think that literally every shared trophy list has been played by me on PS4(/PS3) xD

There's a bunch of games I started but never finished that can now not be dealt with. Rocketbirds, Metrico, Kung Fu Rabbit, Nihilumbra, Lemmings Touch... Not to speak of Amnesia, which I did one playthrough of, got annoyed by and never bothered to grind out for the remainder.

Well I do still care for the Vita a little bit and I probably would have used it more again on holidays eventually, if only for the PS4 when there and Ps+ while in bed or when my wife is driving - IF the Switch hadn't been a darn appealing handheld and the Vita didn't torture my hands during prolonged play.

As for LEGO, most of what I have is Star Wars though I do have a whole street of City stuff and Creator buildings. Of my old LEGO, what I have built again is the Black Monarch Castle, the big space freighter, the police station and some smaller stuff.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think you overestimate my Vita use. I think that literally every shared trophy list has been played by me on PS4(/PS3) xD

There's a bunch of games I started but never finished that can now not be dealt with. Rocketbirds, Metrico, Kung Fu Rabbit, Nihilumbra, Lemmings Touch... Not to speak of Amnesia, which I did one playthrough of, got annoyed by and never bothered to grind out for the remainder.

Seeing that list I would say that you don't miss out any brilliant game. And to each their own I guess but personally I never understand why people bother buying a Vita to use it only as a secondary screen or for remote-play for PS4-games.. For that, the smartphone-app would be much more sufficient. I know this wouldn't reflect the use case of playing PSN-games on the go but from my personal experience I not really like that as I know that my concentration is lacking at that point.

11 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Seeing that list I would say that you don't miss out any brilliant game. And to each their own I guess but personally I never understand why people bother buying a Vita to use it only as a secondary screen or for remote-play for PS4-games.. For that, the smartphone-app would be much more sufficient. I know this wouldn't reflect the use case of playing PSN-games on the go but from my personal experience I not really like that as I know that my concentration is lacking at that point.

I forgot Run Sackboy Run and Flower but that's the complete list of Vita-only trophy lists I started but did not finish. Also I played through CounterSpy and Octodad and I will not be able to obtain more stuff in them. Though by checking my list, I did just realise that the CounterSpy Vita list is shared with PS3 (I only played it on PS4 and Vita). I played CounterSpy, Flower, Octodad and Kung Fu Rabbit all on PS4 (PS3 for Kung Fu Rabbit) and liked those enough to play them again on the Vita.

So yeah... I did not play a whole lot on the Vita. As said, it was mostly for holiday times though and eventually I figured out that I could just bring my PS4 along and play that through the Vita as well. I really liked that during the two holidays I brought them for as I just bought AC games and I went with people who wanted some time for themselves as well anyways.

On 08/02/2017 at 4:30 PM, Hemiak said:

I took a look at what I would add if I did play and this is what a tentative list would look like. Anything with a ? is still very tentative. 

- God of War (finally) 

- Alien : Isolation

-  Infamous 2? 

- Mass Effect 3?

- Max Payne 3?

- Bionic Commando Re2

- Resogun 

- Tales of Xillia 2?

- PoP: Warrior Within

- Random psn title (Knytt, Malicious, Nova, etc.) 

God of War and God of War 2 are best played one after the other, but they are good fun and most trophies on the list come from just playing until completion.

inFamous 2 is not as bold as inFamous (story is a bit weak) but getting through the game is easier and the powerup to show all shards on the map is a godsend.

Max Payne 3 feels quite different than the original 2 games, but the same pervasive feel of hopelessness but dogged determination stands true. Story is fun, yet the trophies can be a massive pain (pun intended).

Resogun reminds me of a sidescroller version of Super Stardust, yet even busier.

PoP: WW I enjoyed greatly. If you've played a PoP game before, you can knock out a single playthrough in about 5 hours getting most of the trophies bar the non-stacking difficulty ones.

I just realised if I join the KYC3, March will be a really busy month.

I will be aiming to:

- Complete Horizon: Zero Dawn (Couch's Elimination event and Nogg's Giveaway Event)

- Complete 4 games from my ever increasing backlog (Falion's Monthly Event)

- Complete up to 10 games from my backlog (Spring Backlog event)

- Start 10 new games for KYC

- Still compete in the THL

Does anyone think I'm mad?

• Like 3

Just some random gibberish without any structure...

After about 2 months I finally decided to boot up a game from KYC again. I decided to play a bit of Dirt 3 and besides some of the DLC-trophies I also earned one of the easier online-trophies for that Cat 'n' MIce-game. :dance:

But fuck this DC-challenges and the Gymkhana-events. IMO it's no surprise that those are the rarest trophies that aren't related to the online-mode. I hope that Dirt 4 won't have such annoying additions.

Somehow I'm tempted to play Dirt Showdown before the third KYC-event but I guess I will hold off for now. But I already read some bad things about Showdown: That game has Gymkhana-events, too. :facepalm:

Spoiler

75591478.jpg

Might also go back to Driver: San Francisco in the next few days. The used Collector's Edition I bought gave me an extra incentive to finish the single player at least. As a nice surprise even the DLC-code was still working, after at least 3 different owners. ^_^

And I also got rid of Atelier Rorona and the Turtles-game from KYC1. For the later one I thought that I at least would finish the story (only one level left) but I didn't feel any urge to play the game in the last six months so it's unlikely I will ever go back to that borefest.

Might also rethink my game list. The chances are high that I will replace Trine 2 with the first PoP: The Sands of Time.

• Like 1

On 8-2-2017 at 9:00 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Fine...

TorqueL, Leo's Fortune, Kitten Squad, Color Guardians, Invisible Inc, Rebel Galaxy, This War Of Mine, Ultratron, Õkami HD, Doodle Trilogy.

I was a bit down and tired this weekend, the bright colors and fun soundtrack of Color Guardians attracted me so I started playing it.

It might be better if I just keep a list of the games I can play, then I'll just let you lot comment on it and I will make some cuts in a week or two.

I noticed that I tend to not quickly get back to these event games even if I did enjoy them, so what I might do is choose those games which I want to try but probably won't like after all, so it's not a big miss (like Galak-Z) or games that can be completed in a short time anyway so I can still remove them from my backlog (like Anna Extended, TorqueL, Kitten Squad, Doodle).

PS4: 12 games eligible

Leo's Fortune

Kitten Squad
    The Playroom

Galak-Z: The Dimensional    
    Hyper Void
    Invisible, Inc.
    Rebel Galaxy
    Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell
    Stories: The Path Of Destinies

This War Of Mine

TorqueL 
    Ultratron

PS3: 9 games eligible

Õkami HD 
    Doodle Trilogy

Anna: Extended Edition

Blazerush
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood 
    Costume Quest 2
    Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon  
    Mad Riders
    Retro/Grade

Personally, right now I'd say I might need to actually sit down for something like Õkami and I could better try doing short stuff for once during the event. Games in which I should be able to complete the 'story' within the event:

Leo's Fortune, Kitten Squad, The Playroom, Hyper Void, Stories: The Path Of Destinies, TorqueL, Ultratron, Doodle Trilogy, Anna: Extended Edition, BlazeRush, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Mad Riders and Retro/Grade.

13 minutes ago, Psy-Tychist said:

No, just a bit ambitious. And all I want to add is:
Vagrant Story. <3

Isn't your avatar the tattoo of Sydney or any other character IIRC? Really enjoyed the game back in the days although I have to say that the story was a bit confusing for me. And some of the optional bosses were quite tough (--> Asura).

6 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Sounds like a good month of gaming!  (If it helps, the Spring Backlog Challenge lasts until May, so you don't have to 100% them all next month.  Unless you want to.)

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

It might be better if I just keep a list of the games I can play, then I'll just let you lot comment on it and I will make some cuts in a week or two.

The only game on your potential list that I've played is Gat out of Hell.  Odd game; it's largely made up of what would be side activities in another game, and to advance the story you just do whichever activities you feel like until you fill up a meter and unlock the next cutscene.  For me it felt more like an expansion pack than a standalone game.  It's amusing in the same way that SR4 is, though.

I think Stories and Invisible Inc will be on my list for KYC (since I've been peer-pressured into it and/or folded like a cheap suit).  Invisible Inc has an average 2% completion rate here, though, so its definitely not one of the quick and easy ones.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fitzquaid said:

The only game on your potential list that I've played is Gat out of Hell.  Odd game; it's largely made up of what would be side activities in another game, and to advance the story you just do whichever activities you feel like until you fill up a meter and unlock the next cutscene.  For me it felt more like an expansion pack than a standalone game.  It's amusing in the same way that SR4 is, though.

I think Stories and Invisible Inc will be on my list for KYC (since I've been peer-pressured into it and/or folded like a cheap suit).  Invisible Inc has an average 2% completion rate here, though, so its definitely not one of the quick and easy ones.

Ugh... Side stuff.

I'm just tolking about quick story completion, I'll do 100%ing when I'm dead :)

6 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

No, just a bit ambitious. And all I want to add is:
Vagrant Story. <3

Isn't your avatar the tattoo of Sydney or any other character IIRC? Really enjoyed the game back in the days although I have to say that the story was a bit confusing for me. And some of the optional bosses were quite tough (--> Asura).

Yes it is, the Rood Inverse. The quote in my Sig is also from Vagrant Story.

Asura I did eventually take down in about 45mins but I remember nothing in my arsenal being effective.

There was always hinting of a continuation at some point, but mostly bits of lore appear in FFXII and FF Tactics.

7 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Just some random gibberish without any structure...

After about 2 months I finally decided to boot up a game from KYC again. I decided to play a bit of Dirt 3 and besides some of the DLC-trophies I also earned one of the easier online-trophies for that Cat 'n' MIce-game. :dance:

But fuck this DC-challenges and the Gymkhana-events. IMO it's no surprise that those are the rarest trophies that aren't related to the online-mode. I hope that Dirt 4 won't have such annoying additions.

Somehow I'm tempted to play Dirt Showdown before the third KYC-event but I guess I will hold off for now. But I already read some bad things about Showdown: That game has Gymkhana-events, too. :facepalm:

Reveal hidden contents

75591478.jpg

*snip*

Isn't Dirt Rally technically Dirt 4? (I'm actually asking, as I'm not sure myself)

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

PS4: 12 games eligible

Leo's Fortune

Kitten Squad
    The Playroom

Galak-Z: The Dimensional    
    Hyper Void
    Invisible, Inc.
    Rebel Galaxy
    Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell
    Stories: The Path Of Destinies

This War Of Mine

TorqueL 
    Ultratron

PS3: 9 games eligible

Õkami HD 
    Doodle Trilogy

Anna: Extended Edition

Blazerush
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood 
    Costume Quest 2
    Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon  
    Mad Riders
    Retro/Grade

Personally, right now I'd say I might need to actually sit down for something like Õkami and I could better try doing short stuff for once during the event. Games in which I should be able to complete the 'story' within the event:

Leo's Fortune, Kitten Squad, The Playroom, Hyper Void, Stories: The Path Of Destinies, TorqueL, Ultratron, Doodle Trilogy, Anna: Extended Edition, BlazeRush, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Mad Riders and Retro/Grade.

I can confirm  that Far Cry Blood Dragon, Stories, Costume Quest 2 and Anna are fairly short. Any of those shouldn't exceed the 10 hour mark, actually far below that (except Blood Dragon maybe). Stories takes about 20-30 min for each individual story, maybe a bit longer initially until you're used to the routes. Costume Quest 2 took me less than 3h, and Anna can be finished in under 3 minutes (it's the fastest out of several possible endings) The whole game can be done in a couple of hours though, if you use a guide (there'll be constant backtracking, if you don't).

Rebel Galaxy would definitely be one of the longer ones, as you'll be taking on mostly side-missions to get enough credits to buy a better ship before moving on in the story. Gat Out of Hell would also probably exceed the 10h mark by a bit.

Haven't played/finished any of the other games you listed..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Ugh... Side stuff.

I'm just tolking about quick story completion, I'll do 100%ing when I'm dead :)

Gat Out of Hell is a fairly short experience, unless you attempt the Plat. 2-3 hours, I would say. Plat was around 17 for me, plus 3 hours of idle co-op time. So, lots of side crap. :/ 

Call of Juarez and Okami are both awesome games, in my opinion. And I'm not even that into Westerns or Zelda. 

Edited by DamagingRob