Sony bans user for sharing in-game nudity from Watch_Dogs 2

IMaySlayLizDaw94

The right thing for whom, exactly?

For the kids who've become accustomed to blood & gore, top-half nudity, drug use, & vulgar language?

It's foolish to believe that showing the natural human body is in a whole 'nother league while sharing a dismembered corpse is OK. It makes Sony look like irrational fools, along with their supporters (like most in this thread).

Anyway, Sony lifted the ban in light of the PR shit storm they created, so clearly Sony believes they did not do the right thing.

Sigh.... Here we go.

1- It doesnt matter if kids have access to adult content or play games with too much violence, not rated for their specific age. In a world bound by rules, a respectable adult, having knowledge of such contents, should not watch/show/allow any and all underage person in his/her presence watch/show/whatever it.

2- Quoting "Tropa de Elite": The system works to solve the problems of the system. For Sony, or any other company, what it's users or consumers deem as right or wrong does not matter. A "small" thing like this, to which anyone has access as you pointed, may end up in a costy lawsuit if nothing is done. But lemme guess: gamers are not worried if Sony has a law problem, right?

• Like 3

Satoshi his ban was unnecessary

I'd says it's on the level of Sony banning you if you go the forced refund route even if you're refunding stuff that was brought by thieves etc using your details

Sony and their entire PR and customer service team such

They're getting far too cocky this gen

Hopefully the PS5 flops so they can be a decent company again

Satoshi his ban was unnecessary

I'd says it's on the level of Sony banning you if you go the forced refund route even if you're refunding stuff that was brought by thieves etc using your details

Sony and their entire PR and customer service team such

They're getting far too cocky this gen

Hopefully the PS5 flops so they can be a decent company again

I hope you someday run ANY kind of business and are faced with these scenarios so you can show how easy it is to pacify both all the people who gave Sony shit for allowing one of their users to share adult material with their formerly innocent children and also people who gave Sony hit because "they're too cocky" and temporarily restricting their online play is just too much punishment for knowingly violating their terms of service.

• Like 1

So many people riding Sony hard and defending them?

Why? They back pedalled majorly, so they obviously realise they reacted stupidly

I got banned on an old account for calling a guy a scrub after a DS duel

They're like God damn nazi's

I personally think a ban was over the top but the fact of the matter is the guy broke the ToS he agreed to and as such a ban can easily be justified. If I pull you over for going 5mph over the speed limit a ticket is a little over the top in my opinion, but also completely justified if I choose to issue one. 

Yeah, Sony are just like Nazis. Banning someone for breaking the ToS they agreed to is just like killing millions of people! 

Parker

• Like 3

I haven't seen a single 'fanboy' in this thread ...

The situation is in black and white.  Every PSN member has agreed to the ToS.  He clearly violated the ToS, he deserves to have a punishment of some kind.  Whether you agree with what he did being immoral is irrelevant.  He broke the rules he agreed to when he signed up.

The fact that Sony backed down is the real problem here.  What that means is that you can break the rules to no consequence of your own, just as long as you make sure enough people talk about it.

The 1-month ban seems like a steep price to pay, but it is easily defendable because of the world we live in.  You as a PSN member have agreed to the ToS and essentially handed all power over to Sony to allow them to do whatever they want to you should you break it.  All of the people complaining about the ban should really be targeting the ToS and trying to change the digital age we live in.

All that said, I have a problem with our society deeming that nudity is worse than death and violence.  It all seems backwards to me.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 4

I've got no problem with digital genitalia in games, not a big deal.

It's also not a big enough deal that I feel the need to post pics and video of it and act like a kid looking at a Playboy magazine for the first time.

• Like 1

Im ok with his ban. Its like people putting perverted nude shots and stuff for their profile covers. Sure its theirs but their are still "kids" on the net. Not sure the game rating but not everyone are rated old enough for it.

I totally agree the ban should still stand, he has clearly broken Sony's ToS. It is sonys job to ensure that the psn is a suitable place for all users to use. Just imagine having a child who has a ps4 and the first thing they see when they sign in is that. Games have age restrictions for a reason.

• Like 1

So someone on this site innocently starts a thread and people call him a dickhead and a retard (a word i fucking hate) just for sharing his opinion. Grow up you childish twats.

No. Those comments were directed at the person who shared the nude picture, not the OP. However, you calling members here childish twats clearly breaks one of the rules here so I suggest you pay more attention to posts before making your own.

Parker

• Like 2

No. Those comments were directed at the person who shared the nude picture, not the OP. However, you calling members here childish twats clearly breaks one of the rules here so I suggest you pay more attention to posts before making your own.

Parker

The amount of insults that get thrown at members from others on here that ive seen in the past and i get called out for that.

• Like 1

The amount of insults that get thrown at members from others on here that ive seen in the past and i get called out for that.

Yes. Break the rules and get punished, seems vaguely familiar... Oh wait, nothing happened to you or the guy that the OP is talking about! 

You also can't see the results of our moderation so just because you see other people post shit that breaks our rules doesn't mean it doesn't go unnoticed or nothing happens to them. So I'm not really sure what the point in bringing that up was.

Parker

Oh no, a vagina. Whatever will we do?!

From a deeper perspective I believe this illustrates whats wrong with society. Gratuitous violence to include decapitations and dismemberment, thats ok. But show a part of the female anatomy that EVERYONE has seen (even if the last time some of you saw one was at birth) then its OH NOZ, AVERT YOUR EYEZ OR BE BANNED A MONTH!!!

Is it just me or if given the choice of seeing graphic violence or the human anatomy, I would prefer my child to see the human anatomy

• Like 4

From a deeper perspective I believe this illustrates whats wrong with society. Gratuitous violence to include decapitations and dismemberment, thats ok. But show a part of the female anatomy that EVERYONE has seen (even if the last time some of you saw one was at birth) then its OH NOZ, AVERT YOUR EYEZ OR BE BANNED A MONTH!!!

Is it just me or if given the choice of seeing graphic violence or the human anatomy, I would prefer my child to see the human anatomy

Both are equally wrong. Graphic Violence and the constant sexualization of the human body (not simply human anatomy as you said) are not subjects that a child or teenager should have easy access because it will be misunderstood/misinterpreted by most children/teenagers. The problem is not that we accept one and not the other, but that we still accept one of those things as tolerable. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

In an age where children spend most of their time by themselves, constantly gazing at a television/videogame or computer or cellphone, without any supervision or restraint, what Sony did, if it had not been to safeguard itself, can be considered morally right and should be done more often.

I will leave this as food for thought:

• Like 2

The Dev's had the ability to:

A: Not put fully rendered genitalia in-game.
B: The ability to Lock Sharing of content during the scene/encounter.

This is Ubi's fault, and theirs alone. 

I'm glad Sony came to their senses and unbanned the guy.

Edited by A12
  • Like 1

Ehhh, technically the guy accepted Sony's Terms of Service and then broke em by sharing this in his news feed, so Sony was completely justified in banning him. In the real world however, I think most of us realize that perhaps 2% of players, or even fewer, actually take the time to sit down and actually read Terms of Services/Conditions before accepting them

(I mean for christ sake when you buy a PS system as soon as you boot up the system you have to accept these, and if you dont you essentially just bought yourself a very expensive brick. So for most whats the point in reading on if you're gonna accept either way)

so who knows? Maybe the guy didn't even realize he shared it in his news feed as well as on twitter, or perhaps he did know, but didn't realize he was breaking any rules in doing so, since he most likely didn't take the time to read the ToS. 

In any case I'm not trying to defend the guy, since sharing this crap in the first place was ...  :facepalm: and besides the guy was unbanned again, and I doubt anyone will suffer any lasting damage as a result of his actions, so nothing left to see here, moving on 

(Btw sorry for writing a novel on the subject, bad habit I suppose)

Both are equally wrong. Graphic Violence and the constant sexualization of the human body (not simply human anatomy as you said) are not subjects that a child or teenager should have easy access because it will be misunderstood/misinterpreted by most children/teenagers. The problem is not that we accept one and not the other, but that we still accept one of those things as tolerable. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

In an age where children spend most of their time by themselves, constantly gazing at a television/videogame or computer or cellphone, without any supervision or restraint, what Sony did, if it had not been to safeguard itself, can be considered morally right and should be done more often.

I will leave this as food for thought:

But the game wasn't sexualising it all. It was literally just a pic of an npc's vag, nothing else. the guy killed a pedestrian and her vag was showing under her skirt. How is that sexualising? People are getting upset over nothing.

• Like 2

But the game wasn't sexualising it all. It was literally just a pic of an npc's vag, nothing else. the guy killed a pedestrian and her vag was showing under her skirt. How is that sexualising? People are getting upset over nothing.

So the banalization of violence and disrespecting the dead, besides disrespect towards women in this case, are not something that should be kept at minimal and not spread in the internet? Some people saw just a picture - because it is just a picture - and other people saw cause for concern - because, as goes the saying, a picture is worth a 1000 words. They are not right, but they are not wrong either.

• Like 1