Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Screenshots, Details & Gameplay Video (Release Date Announced: June 30th, 2017)

Parker

@madbuk I don't think that image really means anything about a photomode, unless I'm mistaken developers take all sorts of screenshots for their games from angles that a player would never be able to experience, I think that is what is happening here. Although I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a photomode, you can create cool PC backgrounds or PS4 wallpapers with an in-game photomode. 

Parker

Yes, this game keeps on climbing up on my list of games to get... but I don't want to put a preorder down for it until I know the date of the game's release.  So once it's revealed, I shall go from there.  But, hopefully there will be screens from the 3rd game... possibly my favourite out of the three.  Especially any of how they're making Coco look like in the game, as in, how her character model would have improved.

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

@DrakeHellsing According to Activision, the release date should be revealed tomorrow.

Yeah, we're pretty excited too!

Crash is Back!
Don't miss tomorrow's big announcement! #crashisback

Parker

Ah yeah, saw that just now too, hopefully the date isn't far off either :D

with these new modern graphics they should have used it on an entirely new crash bandicoot game instead on a remakes, aw well, we were crying for too long about a remake or a remaster of the ps1 original series of crash bandicoot and spyro the dragon on ps3 or ps4, and at least we got crash so far so..... I shouldn't have to complaint. 

19 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

with these new modern graphics they should have used it on an entirely new crash bandicoot game instead on a remakes, aw well, we were crying for too long about a remake or a remaster of the ps1 original series of crash bandicoot and spyro the dragon on ps3 or ps4, and at least we got crash so far so..... I shouldn't have to complaint. 

I don't think that is necessarily off the table. I may be wrong but I would think that remastering PS1 games would be cheaper than developing a completely new game, so Activision may be using the N. Sane Trilogy to gauge the popularity of Crash and if it is a huge success I wouldn't be surprised if we see a completely new Crash game. 

Parker

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

16 minutes ago, Parker said:

I don't think that is necessarily off the table. I may be wrong but I would think that remastering PS1 games would be cheaper than developing a completely new game, so Activision may be using the N. Sane Trilogy to gauge the popularity of Crash and if it is a huge success I wouldn't be surprised if we see a completely new Crash game. 

Or they're doing the something along the lines of Double Fine with Psychonauts... Release an old game again because you already are working on a new game and you both want fans to remember why they liked it and attract some new players early on.

Everyone’s favorite marsupial is in the process of getting enhanced, entranced, and ready to dance in HD graphical glory when he bursts back onto the scene in the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. But don’t worry, because the process isn’t that painful for him. Well, it’s not anything that a couple of wumpa fruits won’t fix.

We know Crash has plenty of fans out there, all eager for news about when he’s going to spin things up again. Your patience has paid off! Activision and the development team at Vicarious Visions have been hard at work updating this classic trilog, and they have some big news to share with you — as well as answes to some questions they’ve received from fans — so read on!

When is the N Sane Trilogy Coming out?!

31280965251_e62035182c_z.jpg

June!

30th!

(Yes, that’s 2017)!

Can you believe it?! We can hardly believe it.

Why did you wait until now to tell us?

To torture you!

No, seriously, from our point of view it’s about being confident in a schedule that allows us to deliver on the quality of games we all want. We had to ensure everything’s aligned to deliver it smoothly. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to know these things.

— (Kara Massie, Producer)

What has changed from the original games in the environment art?

This is a great question and something that we’ve been working pretty hard on. The addition of real-time lighting in a PBR (Physically Based Rendering) engine, along with an increase in texture size, can sometimes make our environments look different than the originals.

Generally, while we strive to recreate each level so it looks and feels like the original, we also want to make sure that environments are fun, colorful, and read well in the fast-paced action with the addition of the new technology we are using.

— (Dustin King, Art Lead)

What’s been your favorite level to make art for and why?

I’ve enjoyed working on the prehistoric levels, and I found them to be a good case for reinterpretation. As I started working on them, I found that adding more greenery helped bring more of the earthy, prehistoric look that hearkens back to the illustrations in dinosaur books I loved as a kid. I also decided the path is more like shallow swamp water, since a tar pit would slow the player down.

I like the contrasting mix of familiar elements of earth, fire, water, and plants, and it has been fun trying to effectively blend these elements.

— (Aaron Trulson, Environment Artist)

My favorite level to work on was Future Frenzy. This level was jam packed with lights, signs, and all of these cool futuristic shapes. It was really fun making the city look alive, with all of the neon signs and the flashing lights. Getting the reflections on the buildings to look just right was a lot of work for the engineering team, but I’m really excited with how it turned out.

— (Jeffrey Lee, Environment Artist)

My favorite levels to make art for have been Deep Trouble and Under Pressure. These underwater levels are full of colorful and exotic sea plants that bring the whole environment to life. I wanted to give more depth to these levels, so look out for a fuller looking ocean.

— (Andrew Lee, Environment Artist)

Is The N. Sane Crash wearing shorts or jorts or jeans?

Wow, I actually had to look up ‘jorts’! Our version of Crash is wearing surfer shorts which we felt reads much closer to the shapes, colors, and forms in the original games, and is in line with the original concept art we started from that was provided to us by Sony. We feel it also speaks to his ‘90s era persona.

— (Dustin King, Art Lead)

Who are the Voice Actors?
  • Fred Tatasciore (Dingodile, Koala Kong, Komodo)
  • Debi Derryberry (Coco, Tawna)
  • Greg Eagles (Aku Aku)
  • Dwight Schultz (Papu, Lab Assistant)
  • Maurice LaMarche (Nitrous Brio, Lab Assistant)
  • John DiMaggio (Uka, Tiny Tiger)
  • Jess Harnell (Crash Bandicoot, Pinstripe Potoroo, Ripper Roo)
  • Corey Burton (Doctor N. Gin, Doctor N. Tropy, Baby Cortex)
  • Lex Lang (Dr. Neo Cortex)

Why did you remake the soundtrack compositions, instead of reusing the originals?

We are recreating the original compositions to match the high-definition visuals and the updated look and feel of the game. The original music was brilliantly composed and arranged to get the most out of the memory and processing power of the original PlayStation. With much expanded resources, we are able to really improve sound quality and fidelity, while staying faithful to the original compositions.

— (Justin Joyner, Audio Lead)

Remaster or remake? It’s a remake isn’t it? It’s totally a remake? Please settle this.

This is a AAA remaster. We’re giving this the love and attention to detail that we pay to all of our AAA games. We’re building it using the original level geometry so that it plays as close to the original as possible. We’ve also referred to this as a remaster plus, as we are adding new features that we think the fans are going to love!

— (Dan Tanguay, Game Director)

Did you see my idea? Did you read our thread / watch our video / get my letter?

We actually do check online now and then, and we read all our letters. But honestly we’re really, really busy. Did you notice that date? It’s coming up very soon. Like you, we are really huge Crash fans, and we feel that we are taking very good care of what we know is precious to you. There is so much to explain, and we will, in time. For now, please know that we love you, and that we love and appreciate your kind words and support.

— (Kara Massie, Producer)

Source: PlayStation Blog 

June 30th is going to be an awesome day. 

Parker

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arkthur said:

This game looks great. Guess they wouldn't release it on April so it wouldn't compete with Yooka-Laylee.

A Historical game, a saga and series Know among playstation fans everywhere that made the story of Ps1 Should be afraid to Compete with a new game That who knows what will do? xD

Considering Yooka-Laylee isn't a Sony exclusive i higly doubt that.

6 minutes ago, Blaidd-Cysgodol said:

can't wait for this, I wonder if Spyro will ever come back. 

I'm also looking forward for this, I hope they don't make a cheap move with the time trails and make it that you have to be flawless at the level and give some room for error in them. With a Spyro remaster I persoannly think it's Defiantly going to happen as I think the Crash remaster will be a huge success due to the popularity of the originals and who ever owns the rights to Spyro (Activition I think) will Defiantly want a piece of that success as the Spyro originals were among the best sales with Crash :)

3 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

A Historical game, a saga and series Know among playstation fans everywhere that made the story of Ps1 Should be afraid to Compete with a new game That who knows what will do? xD

Never said they wre afraid of competing against it. But it's only natural to avoid releasing platformers at the same time; Y-L might not be as high profile as Crash, but some people care a lot about that game because it also draws from nostalgia.

9 hours ago, Arkthur said:

This game looks great. Guess they wouldn't release it on April so it wouldn't compete with Yooka-Laylee.

9 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

5 hours ago, Arkthur said:

Never said they wre afraid of competing against it. But it's only natural to avoid releasing platformers at the same time; Y-L might not be as high profile as Crash, but some people care a lot about that game because it also draws from nostalgia.

There's probably not one single reason for the game being released in June but I have little doubt that not having to compete with Yooka-Laylee and some other high-profile games is one of them. True, Crash may be very appealing to the classic PS1 crowd but Yooka-Laylee is more popular in the general gaming populace of the same age.

There are other high profile games to be scared of: April comes right on the tail of March which is nostalgia heavy with a new Nintendo console with a new Zelda and for PlayStation itself there's the remaster of Kingdom Hearts and a new Mass Effect (which is not as old as a series in itself but it does play right into the sci-fi nostalgia of the same age of gamers), as well as LEGO Worlds (which might be a Minecraft knock-off, but then again Minecraft is a LEGO brick knock-off). Then in April there's the aforementioned Yooka-Laylee, Persona 5 (which I know nothing about but I'm told that a lot of people look forward to this), Stardew Valley and Micro Machines (both again playing into the nostalgia factor of adult gamers), and just for kicks there's the Dark Souls III GOTY to worry about. Contrast June, where little has been planned for as of yet except things like DiRT 4, Tekken 7 and some add-ons for Elder Scrolls Online and Final Fantasy XIV.

Side note: how awesome is it being a gamer these days?

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Knack is back! Crash is back! :D I can't wait to get my hands on these come June. I wonder if each game is going to get its own platinum. :hmm:

Thanks to those first two sentences appearing in my 'content I posted in' feed without the strike and thanks to how my brains work, it looked like you said "Knack is back! Crack is back!"