C3 Community - Winner Andrea9281

First backlog game done, Resident Evil Revelations 2. Pretty much a perfect challenge level for me - enough to keep me on my toes, not nearly enough to frustrate. A great game for sure and a super satisfying ultra rare. Still aiming to get 2-3 more platinums this month but they won't be especially easy ones as I'm ensuring they will qualify for Dragon's contest.

• Like 2

Woo, first place...time to celebrate!

http://oi49.tinypic.com/qy639t.jpg

A proper nailbiter for sure but I'm glad to be able to fulfill my prediction, even if I didn't use the totally correct words.

I am not expecting this to last too terribly long, at least for now, but I will go ahead and move to getting a couple quicker platinums in addition to the ones I wanted done for January for the New Year's Contest just to try to hold on. Either way with a 5 day inactive period coming up it should be Twitch's to reclaim (on a very temporary basis, of course.)

Also while I'm here, it seems I've made a tactical error. There's really no reason to nominate difficult games for your backlog five is there? If the bonus is just a flat 100 points you get the same utility from a 5 point platinum as you do a 120 point, at least as far as the bonus is concerned. Unless I'm misreading something, I think it's worth considering making it a multiplier for next season to create an actual risk/reward situation because right now the proper play is to always pick 5 games you know you can beat and net the 500 points. 

And finally, when I win this season I demand you add an SA flag to the header image :)

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Woo, first place...time to celebrate!

http://oi49.tinypic.com/qy639t.jpg

Congrats, we like to give everyone a short turn at the top, enjoy it.

17 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Also while I'm here, it seems I've made a tactical error. There's really no reason to nominate difficult games for your backlog five is there? If the bonus is just a flat 100 points you get the same utility from a 5 point platinum as you do a 120 point, at least as far as the bonus is concerned. Unless I'm misreading something, I think it's worth considering making it a multiplier for next season to create an actual risk/reward situation because right now the proper play is to always pick 5 games you know you can beat and net the 500 points. 

Yes, you do get the standard 100 points regardless of the game, but you are also awarded the rarity bonus and the time length bonus on top. So the points listed next to everyone's backlog game is just the standard points for the platinum (time + rarity). The 100 point completion bonus is added to the top. The maximum points for a backlog game is 120 ( 20 rarity / 100 length ), bringing the total to 220 points. If you choose a common platinum less than five hours you would only get 2 points for the platinum and 100 for completion totalling 102 (as I believe someone did :giggle:). I think the high point combo games are definitely the way to go.

23 minutes ago, Andrea said:

And finally, when I win this season I demand you add an SA flag to the header image :)

Intriguing idea, perhaps we could replace the American flag ....... I will look into this,

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cjshaitan said:

Yes, you do get the standard 100 points regardless of the game, but you are also awarded the rarity bonus and the time length bonus on top. So the points listed next to everyone's backlog game is just the standard points for the platinum (time + rarity). The 100 point completion bonus is added to the top. The maximum points for a backlog game is 120 ( 20 rarity / 100 length ), bringing the total to 220 points. If you choose a common platinum less than five hours you would only get 2 points for the platinum and 100 for completion totalling 102 (as I believe someone did :giggle:). I think the high point combo games are definitely the way to go.

I guess my point is that since the length/rarity points aren't actually interacting with the +100 points, it actually makes much more sense to pick a short/easy game rather than a long/hard one. The maximum value you can get from backlog games is 500 points, regardless of what you play. Therefore it makes no sense to pick a longer game because you would have a slightly lower chance at actually finishing it, for no benefit in terms of backlog bonus - yes it rewards more regular points but it would reward that same difference in points regardless of if it was selected as a backlog game or just done of its own accord.

For example: if I had picked Walking Dead Season 1 as my backlog game, and it awarded 3 regular points + 100 backlog points and then did non-backlog game Revelations 2 for 120, I would end up with 223 points, the same as if I had flipped my backlog choices and had Rev 2 as my backlog game (which I did, of course.) The only difference is that the odds of me being able to beat Revelations 2 are lower than the odds of me beating Walking Dead S1, and for that extra bit of risk there is no corresponding reward.

Edited by Andrea
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AnRoDr said:

Damn that "One With The Shadows" trophy takes a looooooooong time! 

At this rate I'll be needing at least an extra week to make it to platinum, will be dropping on the leaderboard I guess :angel:

I had actually finished this before completing the Thieves Guild quest line. I'd only take jobs in Markarth, Solitude, Whiterun and Windhelm and I always pick the easy ones like Forging Numbers in shops from Delvin and an easy pickpocketing one from Vex. Discard bounties if they aren't where you need them to be. Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MattyH16 said:

I had actually finished this before completing the Thieves Guild quest line. I'd only take jobs in Markarth, Solitude, Whiterun and Windhelm and I always pick the easy ones like Forging Numbers in shops from Delvin and an easy pickpocketing one from Vex. Discard bounties if they aren't where you need them to be. Hope that helps a bit.

Thx man! But doesn't the refusal or failing of the quests have a negative impact on the progress?

15 hours ago, Couch said:

Points time. Should be at this time every weekend now starting today.

Andrea - 1414

Twitch - 1256

CJ - 1182

Jem - 1083

MattyH - 798

Fmfab - 780

Matt - 705

Derelict - 571

Spazza - 567

Zombie - 474

Couch - 446

Epic - 431

Daemynz - 428

Josh - 358

Film - 321

Clawz - 313

Damage - 267

Anrodr - 101

Gibbo - 100

Feral - 35

Wayne - 14

Andrea holding on top by pulling a CJ lol. Lots of movement by a few people this weekend. Have a nice week guys.

Ooooooooooh Gibbo is breathing down my neck :S

• Like 2

On 1/22/2017 at 9:50 PM, Couch said:

Points time. Should be at this time every weekend now starting today.

Andrea - 1414

Twitch - 1256

CJ - 1182

Jem - 1083

MattyH - 798

Fmfab - 780

Matt - 705

Derelict - 571

Spazza - 567

Zombie - 474

Couch - 446

Epic - 431

Daemynz - 428

Josh - 358

Film - 321

Clawz - 313

Damage - 267

Anrodr - 101

Gibbo - 100

Feral - 35

Wayne - 14

Andrea holding on top by pulling a CJ lol. Lots of movement by a few people this weekend. Have a nice week guys.

Man, I'm not giving Wayne much competition am I?

How long does it take for guides to get reviewed and published on psnprofiles?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, josh_camp said:

Man, I'm not giving Wayne much competition am I?

How long does it take for guides to get reviewed and published on psnprofiles?

Sometime it can take up to a month, other times a couple of days. All depends on how busy they are.

• Like 1

The Countdown to February's Golden Game : Resident Evil 7 has been added to the OP.

For those that are considering playing the game in February the points will be determined for this game on January 30th ( the 1st DLC pack drops on the 31st ), and the Platinum length will be based on the top 50th time or as close to 50th as possible ( at present 25 people have platinum ).

The approximate point breakdown will be

Base trophies = 76pts

Platinum Rarity - Ultra = 20pts

Platinum Length - 52hrs = 20pts

Multiplier x2 = 232pts

Completion bonus = 50pts

Total points if platted in February = 282pts ( subject to slight variation up until 30th of Jan )

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

The Countdown to February's Golden Game : Resident Evil 7 has been added to the OP.

For those that are considering playing the game in February the points will be determined for this game on January 30th ( the 1st DLC pack drops on the 31st ), and the Platinum length will be based on the top 50th time or as close to 50th as possible ( at present 25 people have platinum ).

The approximate point breakdown will be

Base trophies = 76pts

Platinum Rarity - Ultra = 20pts

Platinum Length - 52hrs = 20pts

Multiplier x2 = 232pts

Completion bonus = 50pts

Total points if platted in February = 282pts ( subject to slight variation up until 30th of Jan )

Not sure what guide you are going off but Powerpyx already has one up that says 20-30 hours

I am planning on doing Resident Evil, I changed my FIFA bet with my SO to where the reward was this instead of XCOM 2, pretty much only because of this league. All I have to do is win 4 more games before he wins again and it's mine, which given he's won 4 games in 115 I think that's a safe bet. I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that it has DLC because I'll either have to buy it or give up on my 100% completion goals for my new profile. Hopefully it will be good.

I think the hours are a pretty good way to count it, with the caveat that it is essentially useless for cross-saveable games, and also that it gets inflated quickly in the case of medium to long time to platinum games. We are working with limited metrics and information so it is tricky and there are tradeoffs - in an ideal world PSN would be able to tell us exactly how long a player spent in the game to earn a platinum and that would be that, but instead we have things to give us a decent picture but not quite 100% correct, because of course once you get into games that take over ~8-10 hours to beat, the top 50 times are almost certainly not from one session and likely start inflating a bit due to sleep/eating/etc, in addition to the fact that few people want to grind a single game for that long.

I can't say I have much experience with it but I don't think I've seen a game where the entire top 50 leaderboard is blatantly hacked. In fact I don't think I've seen one that was more than 4 or 5 entries that I knew without a doubt were false, but I also don't check it that much as I certainly don't care about my own personal times to finish. As long as this league is counting the full top 50 and not just the single top time like a certain other competition I ranted about on our chat one time, I think it's as good a metric as can be expected.

Also since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet I will bring up the wager between CJ, Jem and myself. The highest ranking player on the leaderboard at the end of the season wins $20 from each of the other two.

• Like 2