Yooka-Laylee launches April 11th 2017 + Trailer for Capital Cashino-level

crimsonidol38

1 hour ago, Arkthur said:

Still not sure about this game. Platformers have never been my thing, but I still think there is something lacking in this one.

Maybe uniqueness? I'm interested in playing this game as I want to enjoy some 3D-platformers in the collect-a-thon style (Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, old Spyros, Croc, etc.) but everytime I see this game it just feels like they are copying themselves by creating a "Banjo-Kazooie 2.0".

1 minute ago, Crimson Idol said:

Maybe uniqueness? I'm interested in playing this game as I want to enjoy some 3D-platformers in the collect-a-thon style (Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, old Spyros, Croc, etc.) but everytime I see this game it just feels like they are copying themselves by creating a "Banjo-Kazooie 2.0".

That is true but I think it was deliberate. It's clearly a spiritual successor to Banjo with aspects of DK Country. They want to revive the 90s platformer high, so hopefully if this does well they can spread Laylee's wings with a sequel, try some new things. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dell9300 said:

That is true but I think it was deliberate. It's clearly a spiritual successor to Banjo with aspects of DK Country. They want to revive the 90s platformer high, so hopefully if this does well they can spread Laylee's wings with a sequel, try some new things. :)

Might be so. Personally I still would have prefered if they would try something a tad different settings-wise, but I guess it's fair to say that they better play the safe card and bring a direct spiritual successor and test the waters instead of revamping the whole formula and landing a big fail.

Edited by Crimson Idol
typo

Well i higly doubt i'll get it for full price (Especially with that date, 1 week later something else i want xD) but for sure once on sale probably why not, i like platforms a lot and nowadays one Ps3/4/Vita are such a Rarity unfortunately :(

Edited by Sora9427

19 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

I don't mind clones that much. I never played B-K anyway. 

I just think the game doesn't look funny. Like, there is no personality to this characters. 

On 12/14/2016 at 8:48 AM, Arkthur said:

Still not sure about this game. Platformers have never been my thing, but I still think there is something lacking in this one.

I watched the vid just to see to what you were referring, and I have to agree. It's missing that certain...je ne sais quoi?

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

I'm in the same boat like many people in this thread, I'm a sucker for platformers and I am eagerly waiting for BK 2.0, but everything I saw up to now doesn't cut it for me somehow. Can't exactly tell why.

One reason is the childish presentation. The comic style itself is fine and dandy, but I like it more subtle, a little darker perhaps and some innuendos here and there, stuff like that.

And yeah, it really IS BK, but not in a good way. Not like BK 2.0, more like BK 1.1, if that makes sense. Hard to explain.

• 1 month later...

@Crimson Idol You forgot the WiiU :) though Playtonic has forgotten about the WiiU as well, they're now developing for Switch instead xD developing for WiiU must be difficult since multiple devs have stopped working on their games for it. Both Yooka-Laylee and Hollow Knight have dropped the WiiU due to technical difficulties, and the Zombie Vikings port was cancelled months ago, being picked up now for the Switch...

As for Yooka-Laylee, I've paid off my PS4 pre-order. The choice to get it was easy once I heard what the price would be. Still sad I missed the Kickstarter campaign, would have loved to support them early on. I'll 100% it and then move on to other stuff, if I love it then I'll buy it again at some point for the Switch because who are we kidding, this game belongs on a Nintendo machine. Only reason I'm getting the PS4 version is because the Switch version releases at a later point.

Edited by BillyHorrible
Kickstarter

21 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

@Crimson Idol You forgot the WiiU :) though Playtonic has forgotten about the WiiU as well, they're now developing for Switch instead xD developing for WiiU must be difficult since multiple devs have stopped working on their games for it. Both Yooka-Laylee and Hollow Knight have dropped the WiiU due to technical difficulties, and the Zombie Vikings port was cancelled months ago, being picked up now for the Switch...

I haven't forgotten about it and I wouldn't ignore the mention of it as I'm not a biased hater. :P The only sad thing about this cancellation is the fact that Playtonic once said that the Wii U would be the lead platform besides PC. But from a sales perspective it's quite understandable as it's more likely to sale on a new console with a lack of 3D-platformers than on a console that's oversaturated with 2D/3D-platformers. 

Personally I'm still not sure if I will get this game or not. I like some good ol' collect-a-thons once in a while but somehow this game doesn't really catch my interest. 

4 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I haven't forgotten about it and I wouldn't ignore the mention of it as I'm not a biased hater. :P The only sad thing about this cancellation is the fact that Playtonic once said that the Wii U would be the lead platform besides PC. But from a sales perspective it's quite understandable as it's more likely to sale on a new console with a lack of 3D-platformers than on a console that's oversaturated with 2D/3D-platformers. 

Personally I'm still not sure if I will get this game or not. I like some good ol' collect-a-thons once in a while but somehow this game doesn't really catch my interest. 

I wasn't trying to imply anything like that, sorry if you got that imression. I just meant Nintendo was missing from your OP, where you did mention the other platforms :) I just figured it was an honest mistake though.

Personally, I honestly believe that developing for the WiiU may be difficult, at least more difficult than for other platforms.

I grew up on platform adventures and getting this game was always a matter of when, not if for me from the moment I found out. I completely get that it may look "mèh", even to people who grew up with the N64, but I really want it (even if I'm less excited for this than for Odyssey).

If I don't forget, I'll drop a line here when I've played it.

On 12/13/2016 at 4:04 AM, Crimson Idol said:

Yooka-Laylee will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on April 11, 2017, developer Playtonic Games announced.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/yooka-laylee-launches-april-11-capital-cashino-trailer

And here's the trailer:

It's my type of game. Can't wait for it to come out! :D

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I wasn't trying to imply anything like that, sorry if you got that imression. I just meant Nintendo was missing from your OP, where you did mention the other platforms :) I just figured it was an honest mistake though.

Personally, I honestly believe that developing for the WiiU may be difficult, at least more difficult than for other platforms.

I grew up on platform adventures and getting this game was always a matter of when, not if for me from the moment I found out. I completely get that it may look "mèh", even to people who grew up with the N64, but I really want it (even if I'm less excited for this than for Odyssey).

If I don't forget, I'll drop a line here when I've played it.

Ah, now I see what you meant. TBH I just copy-pasted that line from Gematsu and AFAIK Playtonic haven't stated any specific release date for the Switch when this trailer was released and I didn't want to post any information that not really that interesting for PlayStation-poriented gamers or that would fuel another Nintendo is doomed-discussion. (--> Wii U version canceled in favor of the Switch) :D 

Yeah, too many people on here use Switch game threads to complain about the Switch in general. Both Yooka-Laylee and Hollow Knight threads now get a "Nintendo saying Switch is not the WiiU replacement is bullshit" even though it's the developers who don't want to continue on the WiiU. Yeah we all know the Switch will replace the WiiU but is it necessary to complain about that in every single thread?

I'm glad Yooka-Laylee comes to the Switch. That console seems much more meant for old-school gamers than the WiiU is and I think the game deserves an audience.

This game pretty much hinges on marketing towards the nostalgia of people who see Banjo-kazooie and Banjo-Tooie as a beloved gaming experience. It taps into so many tropes that those two classics laid out. It was made with the full intention to copy a number of elements from the original games. They aren't out to innovate, but to recreate.

I believe that Banjo Kazooie and Tooie are two of the best platform games of all time and I can't wait to get a little taste of that formula again :)

I backed this when the kickstarter was still going. I haven't really been keeping up with the updates, but it's cool to hear the game is finally coming out. I love me some 3D platformers! :) I would have liked to get a physical copy for PS4, but I don't think that was available when I made my pledge. I heard they were looking into ways for backers to upgrade to the physical version, but I don't know if anything came of that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-01-21 at 1:26 PM, Undead Wolf said:

I backed this when the kickstarter was still going. I haven't really been keeping up with the updates, but it's cool to hear the game is finally coming out. I love me some 3D platformers! :) I would have liked to get a physical copy for PS4, but I don't think that was available when I made my pledge. I heard they were looking into ways for backers to upgrade to the physical version, but I don't know if anything came of that.

I didn't even realize a date was here. I deleted an update just today and then noticed it was on the Recent Trophy List on the front page and realized "holy shit it is actually coming out"

So are they going to email the codes when the game releases (I guess)....I haven't had anything backed before that actually released.

28 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I didn't even realize a date was here. I deleted an update just today and then noticed it was on the Recent Trophy List on the front page and realized "holy shit it is actually coming out"

So are they going to email the codes when the game releases (I guess)....I haven't had anything backed before that actually released.

Yeah, I didn't know it was coming out so soon either. This is actually the first kickstarter project I backed that is releasing as well, so I'm not sure how it works exactly. Have you been receiving emails from them with the updates? If so, I imagine it should get sent to you when the time arrives. I mean I got a code for the Toybox demo thing on the 15th of March.

I managed to upgrade to the physical version in the end, so I had to input my address and such. If you're getting the digital version, I shouldn't think you would have to put in any extra information. I think @Crimson Idol is more of an expert on these things than I am. Maybe he could confirm that.

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I managed to upgrade to the physical version in the end, so I had to input my address and such. If you're getting the digital version, I shouldn't think you would have to put in any extra information. I think @Crimson Idol is more of an expert on these things than I am. Maybe he could confirm that.

It all depends on the Kickstarter itself but there are mainly two ways how most distribute the keys:

1. Via email directly to the address that's connected with your Kickstarter-account

2. Via third party sites likes BackerKit or Humble Bundle where the codes will show up.

For Yooka-Laylee it seems like they use BackerKit (at least this here exists: https://yooka-laylee.backerkit.com/) so I guess you will receive the code via that site. You will receive a mail shortly after the devs added the keys so you can claim them from there.

Depending on how well Sony works together with the devs you might get the codes before release (e.g. that was the case for me with Mgihty No. 9, Hpyer Light Drifter, and Shantae: HGH) or after the release (Dragon Fin Soup :( ). Be sure to check the survey you answered if it asks for a specific region or not as some devs aren't aware of the fact that they have to ask SIEA (Sony NA) and SIEE (Sony Europe) for keys and just send out NA-keys which can't be redeemed on an european PSN-account.

Again, DFS was a prime example for this problem even though some backers told them beforehand. :facepalm: 

• Like 2