Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Syndicate may have had a higher standard but I feel like the series deserves more. Also, female assassins deserve more. All that talk about Evie being a main character, yet she only gets two missions each sequence - one for her own story, one to clean up Jacob's mess from the previous sequence. Ugh.

I have high hopes for the next game though, will definitely pre-order it but Ubisoft has to really step it up before I see Assassin's Creed as anything else but "that cool fluff that I now play in between other games". It's tough since Assassin's Creed is on of my favourite non-Nintendo game franchises, but it could have been so much more...

Totally agree with the fact that female assassins need more recognition and I love to see the backstory of the female characters as it's always so eye opening in a way. 

Yeah, sometimes I feel that way about some of my favourite games. We always want them to be the best they can be and then when they are not, it's quite disappointing.

• Like 1

@xFalionx Members who have voted in your first question now can't vote any more in your second question -_-

So I guess that means that additional questions are not going to happen in a thread ever. Shame. Back to ticking answers by hand it is.

Also, decided to frame the picture for my Zelda entry to give it more of a trophy image look. Also one with the image a bit less zoomed in so Link is in the picture as a whole, adding the frame on the original picture showed that I maximised the image so that Link would just be in it entirely, means that there wasn't any room for a frame left.

LYhdmcd.png  NSnkABf.png

41 minutes ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Totally agree with the fact that female assassins need more recognition and I love to see the backstory of the female characters as it's always so eye opening in a way. 

Yeah, sometimes I feel that way about some of my favourite games. We always want them to be the best they can be and then when they are not, it's quite disappointing.

Evie was a great character that did not get enough screentime. Still hoping for a sequel that expands on her eventual adventures in India.

Yeah, I'm super glad that Zelda and Mario seem to be stepping it up, haven't been this excited about any of their games in over a decade.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Some end of month stats:

<snip>

Updated you stats, that's some sneaky double use by the way. :lol:

11 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Finished Ray Gigant for my 5th plat (and 75th overall, yay!) this month so...

- 2 PS4 games completed

- a second month of finishing 4+ games in a month

- 2 games platted for another event (Vita 5th birthday - New Little King's Story, Danganronpa 2)

- 2nd retro game done for the year so far (Day of the Tentacle)

Stat changes for the event to date...

Platinums: +8

100%:  +1

Completion rate: +1.58%

Updated you stats, looks like that's the only thing that changed since your last update. Good luck for the coming month. :) 

6 hours ago, Komrade_Konrad said:

My ISP wanted to charge me $75-100 to have someone come and fix my internet so I got up on the roof and realigned the dish myself.  Internet seems to be working fine again and my profile is now up to date.  I edited my previous post and will copy the final stats here.

Stat changes during the event:

Platinum trophies: +10

100% completed: +4

Completion: +4.56%

That's nice to hear. Updated your completion and checked you Shovel Knight plat. ^_^ 

5 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Alright, I voted! Unfortunately, I didn't complete the story for Tomb Raider. The banners look awesome!! :D

@xFalionx, when you sent your last reminder, I was dead asleep! Even though I could have done better in February, I at least achieved my own personal goal, which is to plat FFXIII

Stats so far:

Platinum trophies: +2

100% completed: +1 - (Does completing a plat count as 100%? Otherwise this should be a zero)

Completion: +3.53

Well, that's just unfortunate, maybe this month will turn out better for you. Thanks for the compliment. :) 

It's the 24 hour reminder, so there's still ~12 hours left before I stop accepting February ranks. But yeah, congrats on that. That's already a great task completed.

Anyways, I've updated your stats.

3 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Nah, I prefer the Grummel Net salesman. xD

Boosting would be quite a PITA though as it takes about 12 to 18 hours in full lobbies to boost the online trophies. I don't even want to imagine how long it takes with two or three players... :|

Oh and I would like to join the crew:

Stats before the event:

Platinum trophies: 126

100% completed: 39

Completion: 70.54%

Sadly I couldn't do a clean cut (--> start with the ending stats from February) as I earned one trophy right after midnight. Shouldn't try to attempt 100% synchronisation in the story missions of Black Flag right from the start. xD

I guess the only artsy-fartsy game I will play in the next 30 days will be Apotheon. The artstyle is rather unique as it looks like all old etruscan paintings you know from greek history. I hope that I like the game, though. I heard it's hit-or-miss.

Sure, that would also fit. ^_^ 

Wow, that's pretty annoying. But then again, it seems like racing games have a theme of annoying trophies in general. 

Welcome, it's great to finally have you with us. :D 

It doesn't really matter if it's a clean cut or not, at least to me it doesn't :P 

Apotheon should count by it's artstyle alone, It's really something special.

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well maybe, but you did two words and less or three words and more. If I'd have to try to think up a theme like that, I'd choose either titles with only one word or titles with at least five words :)

Also personally, I prefer themes about specific genres. All racers, or all 2.5D platformers, et cetera.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Felt like elaborating a bit more.

If we have to go for a specific theme, then we're all playing kind of the same stuff, and we're in kind of the same mood. If we're doing racers then some might do The Crew, some might do Need For Speed Rivals, some might do Burnout Paradise, but we're all burning rubber. If the epic adventures theme had been chosen then some would have played Zelda, some would have played Witcher III, some would have played Dark Souls or Mass Effect or Shadow Of Mordor or Shadow Of The Colossus or God Of War but we'd all be playing epics.

With a meta theme like "no E" or "two word titles", anything goes and we seem to be less in it together and more in it separately, at least that's my opinion. Just like how the "artistic" thing this month is handled pretty loosely. I get why "all games can be artistic" has value, but I can't stop thinking that it might lessen the theme. I get that stuff like Witcher, INSIDE, Four Sided Fantasy and such can count as artistic, but stuff like Tomb Raider, Hitman and LEGO as well? I mean, where's the cutoff?

I guess I just like my rules a bit more themed and strict, but you probably knew that already.

Believe it or not but my original thought for the choices were 1 word and 4+ words. While I like your view on things, there is a reason I chose the themes to be as broad as this. While you may have a large backlog to choose from, there are others who maybe only have a backlog of 20-50 games. I mean, I'm even one of them with my ~40 games in my backlog. It's pretty hard finding a balance between too many and too little restrictions as to leave nobody out and still make it fun for everyone besides that. This is also why I'm not fond of single genre themes because there are always some people who absolutely can't stand a certain genre and therefore either don't have any games for that or don't even want to consider playing the ones they do have.

I think the biggest inspiration for this theme stuff is the PSNP Song Vote which also has themes for songs to be posted, those are even looser than my current ones. Like their themes' intention is nudging people towards a different direction, my personal themes are designed in the same way: nudge people towards a different direction from what they'd usually play.

Since your stricter idea of themes has been another thought of mine for quite a while, I'm already intending to fix this kinda like you did in the Golden Oldies thread but instead of making separate softcore and hardcore lists, I think I'm gonna include a hardcore challenge in a future update. Then there's gonna be 2 variants of each theme: one that's like the ones we usually have and another one that's more restrictive and has to be met to gain ranks in that challenge. But all of that is still to come.

@BillyHorrible, @RizzleAbbey12,

To chime into that discussion about the artistic theme, as RizzleAbbey said, all games are made for money. While some put more focus on being artistic, in the end any large developer still does that to feed their workers. And it's true that some games that could be considered artistic in some way are blatant cash grabs, that still doesn't change the fact that at least some parts of that game are still artistic. There is no real line to be drawn there. It reminds me of the leveling system of an MMO called Black Desert Online. While there's usually a defined level cap in most MMOs like level 110, that MMO has a soft cap, meaning that while the intended level to reach over there is level 56 it's still possible to go beyond that, even though the process get's less effective the further you get. In our case, there are obvious artistic games like Journey, but there is no defined border as to which game counts as artistic. This is why I said that if you can explain to me why your game is artistic, it's most likely gonna count towards the theme. Ever tried explaining why FIFA 17 is artistic? That's gonna be a lot harder (if not impossible) than describing why the Witcher 3 is artistic. Choosing your game for one of these abstract themes is like leveling in Black Desert Online, the less artistic a game is the more effort you'd have to put into that to make it count.

34 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx Members who have voted in your first question now can't vote any more in your second question -_-

So I guess that means that additional questions are not going to happen in a thread ever. Shame. Back to ticking answers by hand it is.

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid way to handle polls really. As I said before, I'm not gonna juggle threads for this and I won't go counting votes by hand. I'll end up posting strawpolls from now on, I guess... That's gonna make things more complicated and probably reduce voting activity but what else am I supposed to do. :dunno:

#FixPollsSly

34 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

LYhdmcd.png  NSnkABf.png

I really like those trophy images. I'm sure it will end up looking great in your section once you're done with both the image and Zelda. ^_^ 

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 4

I've got some more news for you, people. Seems like the forums only allow 3 polls per thread, not at a single time, but overall. I don't want to juggle threads or do anything else that's silly, so I think I'll start using strawpoll for future theme votes and miscellaneous stuff.

Here's our first strawpoll. It's for feedback about theme restrictions, so I can see how you feel about those and use those opinions to tailor future themes more to your liking.

50 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Wow, that's pretty annoying. But then again, it seems like racing games have a theme of annoying trophies in general. 

Sadly they have. The only ones that I played and that didn't require you to do some notorious things like winning for the umpteenth time or so are Need for Speed: Shift and Grid 2. The later one has a trophy that requires you to create a RaceNet-account and setup a social rival (against whom you have to race) but otherwise it was doable without any boosting. And the first Shift doesn't even require you to play online. :D

50 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Welcome, it's great to finally have you with us. :D 

It doesn't really matter if it's a clean cut or not, at least to me it doesn't :P 

Apotheon should count by it's artstyle alone, It's really something special.

Thanks. :)

At least it was only one trophy I earned and a measly silver so it didn't change that much anyway (~0.01 percent points) but it still bugs me. xD

Edited by Crimson Idol

Yeah, I can understand someone's dilemma, not having a game that fulfills the month's theme. I mean February's was PS4, and I don't even own one, but own a few games that count (Tomb Raider, Uncharted 2, SAO: Hollow Fragment). But am lucky this month because I have Okami HD, otherwise I don't think I have another game that fulfills the criteria...just a bunch of JRPG/anime games. 

So, I'm not complaining about the looseness of the theme. 

4 hours ago, xFalionx said:

3 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Sadly they have. The only ones that I played and that didn't require you to do some notorious things like winning for the umpteenth time or so are Need for Speed: Shift and Grid 2. The later one has a trophy that requires you to create a RaceNet-account and setup a social rival (against whom you have to race) but otherwise it was doable without any boosting. And the first Shift doesn't even require you to play online. :D

... As I said somewhere else: racing games are always a grind, but never a chore.

I think you both give racing games credit for something that online games in general are doing.

Hot Pursuit, Burnout Paradise and a fair few others were fun to completely play through.

...so, seeing as you're both talking about the theme of annoying trophies, is that going to be a monthly theme this year? xD

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

...so, seeing as you're both talking about the theme of annoying trophies, is that going to be a monthly theme this year? xD

So you want to finish TorqueL after all? :awesome:

Nah, I wouldn't want my whole list of participants to collectively use a skip for that month. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cerafinn said:

I've been following this thread for a while now and I think I'm going to jump in and join. xD

Stats before the event:
Platinum trophies: 47
100% completed: 39
Completion: 46.91%

Sure thing, I've added you to the list. Welcome aboard. :) 

Edited by xFalionx

Only change from last post: completion for the end of February is +1.44%.

Artistic won, then? Cool, I'll probably be joining in on Zelda if I can get my hands on a Switch.

Far as Playstation goes, it's going to be a bit of a challenge to figure out... :hmm:

Backlog stuff that comes to mind are Okami, Flow/Flower (noooope), Epic Mickey 2, Unravel, and Minecraft. At least I can easily write off, say... God of War.

Oh boy, E is in so many titles... does that count "the"? The other two seem a lot closer to equal, though again, all sounds good to me.

There are a few future categories that look like they may be a bit difficult/unappealing to me, but I won't assume that until we actually get to them. My backlog's stupid enough that I should be able to find something. Broad or specific doesn't matter; worst case, I'll just carry on chipping away at my backlog with non-event games.  :)

Thanks for the reminder. I was only able to finish the story mode of color guardians. The only plat I have earned this month is danganronpa trigger happy havoc in the vita which Im not sure if it will count because I saw it listed as a ps4 remaster under danganronpa reload 1 and 2.

9 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Only change from last post: completion for the end of February is +1.44%.

Artistic won, then? Cool, I'll probably be joining in on Zelda if I can get my hands on a Switch.

Far as Playstation goes, it's going to be a bit of a challenge to figure out... :hmm:

Backlog stuff that comes to mind are Okami, Flow/Flower (noooope), Epic Mickey 2, Unravel, and Minecraft. At least I can easily write off, say... God of War.

Oh boy, E is in so many titles... does that count "the"? The other two seem a lot closer to equal, though again, all sounds good to me.

There are a few future categories that look like they may be a bit difficult/unappealing to me, but I won't assume that until we actually get to them. My backlog's stupid enough that I should be able to find something. Broad or specific doesn't matter; worst case, I'll just carry on chipping away at my backlog with non-event games.  :)

Updated your completion. :) 

I had a bunch of fun playing Epic Mickey 2 with my little brothers but that was casually, not sure on the trophy difficulty there. That's a pretty good selection anyways, so there should be something that fits in there. 

Actually, if you were to try hard enough you could probably still manage to sufficiently explain the game as being artistic. Good luck doing that with something like FIFA 17 though. ^_^ 

Yep, that does count "the". It might be true that this one is the theme with the smallest selection of available games, but I'm pretty sure that everyone should be able to find a handful of games without "E" in their backlog. I mean there's even gonna be two fitting games in this month's PS+ instant game collection, and there have been quite a few in the past.

9 hours ago, Enma8910 said:

Thanks for the reminder. I was only able to finish the story mode of color guardians. The only plat I have earned this month is danganronpa trigger happy havoc in the vita which Im not sure if it will count because I saw it listed as a ps4 remaster under danganronpa reload 1 and 2.

Technically the submissions for February ended about an hour before you posted this but I'll let it slide since I forgot to post about this yesterday evening.

Game submissions for February's theme are now officially over. Have fun playing artistic games. :) 

Anyways, congrats on your silver rank. Sadly, since the PS4 remaster isn't out yet, this does not count towards a PS4 rank. Great game nonetheless, one of my Vita favorites. :D 

You really need to post your updates earlier, last time was also really close to the deadline. ^_^ 

• Like 1

Good day for trophies, yesterday. Gained two for Witcher III (one story-related, one of the Witcher contracts I did had a trophy as well), and gained 6 out of 11 for Four Sided Fantasy, out of which 5 were "complete world X".

New completion percentage: 50,90% (so a total increase of 0,22%), this will probably go down during KYC3 but not as much as those events usually destroy my percentage as I tried to choose a lot of games with short stories (still won't get many trophies in a few, like Invisible, Inc.).

Update

L4a541a.png

I seem to have finished all main quests in Novigrad now. Yesterday, I freed Dandelion and then I did some side quests, mainly contracts.

Haven't got much new to say about the game. Still liking it a lot. I'm going to do most of the sidequests and contracts now before I head to Skellige (except those for which I am hilarously underleveled, that is).

Lc62f5b.png

After some initial problems (something with my old main controller, the game would correctly register that I held R2 (the R2 icon in the tutorial message would turn darker) but it was too sensitive to actually lock the camera), I finally could start playing this game.

At first I was still annoyed with the game because of the controller issues but thanks to my second controller (which has only been used those rare times my wife joins in on a LEGO or co-op platformer game) working like a charm, and thanks to the game being beautiful and a lot of fun, I was quickly enjoying myself again.

In about an hour of playtime (bit hard to guess as I was chatting with someone on PS4 during the first part of the game), I played through the entire game once. I knew the game was short which is why I didn't buy it when it was released for €10, but now it is on sale for €3 it's a very nice game to buy.

Four Sided Fantasy is a pure puzzle platformer. You need to manipulate the level by locking the camera in place - once you lock the camera, you can walk to the left off-screen and you turn up on the right side. Or, you jump off the edge, falling down and you'll keep falling from the top of the screen.

The game has a nice art style, that changes each world. It's fun to look at and while I have already forgotten the music in the game, I do remember that it felt fitting.

It's a simple mechanic that is used in a variety of ways. Each world adds a different theme to these puzzles, ensuring that the game will remain interesting. That makes the lack of length in the game a good thing - it's a small bite in between larger games, and it's too short to get bored by the gameplay. This way, the game also manages to keep throwing new puzzles at you every time, you'll rarely see a puzzle you've already done again so you keep having to think about how to solve the new puzzle.

The game was not that hard, though today (day two) I will try New Game + to see if it adds more fun and difficulty to the main game (I hope so). In the main first playthrough, I had to think about how to approach a few puzzles but I never got the feeling I was "stuck" - the parts of the level that needed to be used were often obvious, it was just a question of how to use them.

During my first playthrough, I obtained seven of the eleven trophies in the game - six are story related, one was a trophy that I got by accident. The four remaining trophies are for completing New Game +, finding a secret level, and completing the game with a minimal amount of either camera locks or screen wraps ("screen wrap" being the term for when you exit the screen on one side and turn up on the other side).

In short: Four Sided Fantasy is a beatiful puzzle platformer. It's very short but this is a good thing as the game never repeats itself and keeps you wanting for more instead of boring you after a while.

If you think you'll enjoy the game, it's still on sale in the EU store for only €3 people!

@xFalionx you only work with gold and platinum stars, right? No silver ones? Anyway, since Four Sided Fantasy is definitely artistic, I'll use it on my main list for now until I complete the story of either Witcher III or Zelda, so it's not just a bronze tropy. Here's the trophy for completing the story in FSF:

6S05baea.png

I might even go for the 100% so perhaps it'll become my "complete a game for a different event". We'll see after today though, first up is NG+. There seem to be no videos on the minimal screen wrap and minimal camera lock runs so I'll have to do it on my own and see how it goes.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Good day for trophies, yesterday. Gained two for Witcher III (one story-related, one of the Witcher contracts I did had a trophy as well), and gained 6 out of 11 for Four Sided Story, out of which 5 were "complete world X".

New completion percentage: 50,90% (so a total increase of 0,22%), this will probably go down during KYC3 but not as much as those events usually destroy my percentage as I tried to choose a lot of games with short stories (still won't get many trophies in a few, like Invisible, Inc.).

Update

<snip>

That's some nice progress indeed. :) I myself managed to get 8 trophies in TorqueL yesterday and now I'm only missing 1 route, also the sepecial route and some miscelaneous stuff like doing a 10 minute run without dying. I already managed to complete 2 routes within 15 minutes, so I'm pretty sure I can do that legit, I might end up cheesing the no death run though.

Anyways, I'm pretty confident that I can finish both TorqueL and Ratchet & Clank today.

14 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

@xFalionx you only work with gold and platinum stars, right? No silver ones? Anyway, since Four Sided Fantasy is definitely artistic, I'll use it on my main list for now until I complete the story of either Witcher III or Zelda, so it's not just a bronze tropy. Here's the trophy for completing the story in FSF:

6S05baea.png

I might even go for the 100% so perhaps it'll become my "complete a game for a different event". We'll see after today though, first up is NG+. There seem to be no videos on the minimal screen wrap and minimal camera lock runs so I'll have to do it on my own and see how it goes.

Yeah, no silver stars. Otherwise I'd have to come up with a system to reduce the stupid amount of stars some people would have.

That game is artistic for sure, congrats on your silver rank. ^_^ Updated your completion as well.

Good luck on your minimal runs, that's probably gonna prove to be a challenge without a guide.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Enma8910 said:

Thanks again! Can I use color guardian again this month? because I just realized that it fits this month's theme. LOL

You can, but this time around you'll need something higher than a silver rank for the game to count again.

11 hours ago, Enma8910 said:

1 hour ago, xFalionx said:

Anyways, congrats on your silver rank. Sadly, since the PS4 remaster isn't out yet, this does not count towards a PS4 rank. Great game nonetheless, one of my Vita favorites. :D 

You really need to post your updates earlier, last time was also really close to the deadline. ^_^ 

9 minutes ago, Enma8910 said:

Thanks again! Can I use color guardian again this month? because I just realized that it fits this month's theme. LOL

Wait a tick, did you really complete Color Guardians?

I ask because went to see what trophies you still were missing - I played through the game myself recently, and wanted to see if you managed the deathless run of the final boss - but you don't seem to have the the final two trophies that unlock after beating the last boss ("All safe!" and "No more darkness")... might be that you just did not synchronise your trophies yet but you defeated the mountain boss (the boss of the pre-final world) when it had been March 1 for hours already...

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wait a tick, did you really complete Color Guardians?

I ask because went to see what trophies you still were missing - I played through the game myself recently, and wanted to see if you managed the deathless run of the final boss - but you don't seem to have the the final two trophies that unlock after beating the last boss ("All safe!" and "No more darkness")... might be that you just did not synchronise your trophies yet but you defeated the mountain boss (the boss of the pre-final world) when it had been March 1 for hours already...

Huh, you're right. I switched up the trophies that were awarded after beating the game. As long as the timestamp says March 1st he should still be fine because trophies are still eligible for February for 24 hours after I posted the official start of March. Let's hope for @Enma8910 that this is a syncing matter, otherwise I'd have to refute that silver rank.

1 minute ago, xFalionx said:

Huh, you're right. I switched up the trophies that were awarded after beating the game. As long as the timestamp says March 1st he should still be fine because trophies are still eligible for February for 24 hours after I posted the official start of March. Let's hope for @Enma8910 that this is a syncing matter, otherwise I'd have to refute that silver rank.

I couldn't find info on that in the OP... If you'll allow games for a month to be finished on the first day of the next month, then adding that to the OP would be a good idea (or did I miss it?), that's important information for people getting stressed in the final days :)

Especially useful in months like this: April 1 is a Saturday so that is for many people a good day to catch up on some gaming.

I like the fact that I'm not the only one who voted in poll 2. ^_^

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I couldn't find info on that in the OP... If you'll allow games for a month to be finished on the first day of the next month, then adding that to the OP would be a good idea (or did I miss it?), that's important information for people getting stressed in the final days :)

Especially useful in months like this: April 1 is a Saturday so that is for many people a good day to catch up on some gaming.

It's in the OP in the "About the sign-up"-section:

I'll be posting an announcement at the start of every new month. You have 24 hours after that post has been made, to finish any relevant games and post an update about them in the thread to receive the corresponding trophy rank. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Like @Crimson Idol said, it's in the About the sign-up section and I include this large red line at the start of every month.

On 3/1/2017 at 0:03 AM, xFalionx said:

If you didn't manage to complete your latest February game, you still have 24 hours from the time of this post to finish your game and post about it in the thread. You can, however, already earn ranks for March as of now

Edited by xFalionx

8 minutes ago, MortalRikku said:

For this months theme in going to go for the new plus game Tearaway Unfolded it looks quirky and unusual! Really like the origami feel it has ^_^

I have a feeling that more people will do this since it's a PS+ game with what seems to be an easy trophy list.

I'll play it myself this month though I don't know yet if I'm going for 100%.

• Like 1