trying to enjoy the game..

rockstarjazz

The best thing is the relationship between Joel and Ellie, and I don't think you've gotten to the meat of the gameplay yet (stealthing zombies and people alike), but it's entirely possible this game just isn't for you, of course. You don't have to try to like a game you don't like because other people like it :)

• Like 1

I loved TLOU to death . Played on PS3 , did 3 playtroughs without getting bored anytime and played Left Behind DLC also however unfortunately didn't had the opportunity to experience the MP aspect . 

For each playtrought,  i played differently like stealth only , rambo style or mix of both styles . 

10 minutes ago, Mar said:

Whether you find it boring or not... the story does get better... and it is pretty good. Your lack of interest is a personal matter to you related to enjoyment factor. I don't need to like the game to understand it tells its story well. There are some very prominent examples of bad storytelling games. Good storytelling is determined by the writing, not your enjoyment of the story. A game doesnt thus have a good story because you enjoyed the story. TLOU builds on Ellies and Joel's RS throughout the game. The end of their journey shows strong results of the game's consistent storytelling. Its consistent all throughout, stays focused, pacing is well, etc.

Whether or not it has a good story is a complete matter of opinion. You're not going to hear someone come up to you and say "Man this movie really sucked, but boy gee golly it had a great story!" It doesn't matter how it goes about telling its story if it's not good or engaging to keep the consumer interested. The last of us has extremely poor pacing

Edited by SnowxSakura

41 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yeah, he hasn't gotten far and is already bored and questioning if the rest of the game is dull. I doubt he's going to read very far into to a few paragraphs to persuade him. I was kinda getting at the point that the response to his question should cater to the audience. If fact, it's just as likely (neither of us knows) that "it gets better as you get further" might do a world of good and is all he's looking for.

Sorry, I grew out of the immature, vague, filler, generic "it'll get better" line. In reality that wont get you far in life, and in most professional matters, depth, elaboration, or details are necessary. School, written papers, written statements, reviews, whatever, it's unacceptable to be vague like that. I even grew up learning the hard way. If no support, why should I believe a unconvincing one liner like that? Give me reason to believe or consider what you say to be true.

There is absolutely no merit or even proof/support in a broad line like that, especially given any literal person whether they like a game or not can easily lie or exaggerate a game doing or not doing something. I could easily say TLOU is a bad game whether I mean it or not, you'll never know.. you wont. The thing is ppl cant support what they claim is good or bad sometimes so you can catch them when their defensive points suck. The Avengers 2 sucks (secretly because everyone else says it, so it must be true. Its the norm after all). Ask he/she to explain why and see how well that goes.

That's me.

20 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Whether or not it has a good story is a complete matter of opinion. You're not going to hear someone come up to you and say "Man this movie really sucked, but boy gee golly it had a great story!" It doesn't matter how it goes about telling its story if it's not good or engaging to keep the consumer interested. The last of us has extremely poor pacing

Storytelling is again decided by the writing. Actually you would hear a person say that because dissecting aspects of something is a thing. The game sucked, but it had good graphics. The game sucked because the story was shit but the gameplay was fun, etc. Nothing is going to interest everyone so that makes no sense, and again interest is irrelevant. This is about good writing ethic, not enjoyment. Im not talking about the subject that you are.

Should be common sense. Other themes are what grabs or push away interest. You can like RPGs but not western RPGs simply because of the western theme, despite loving RPGs. If TLOU theme wasnt zombies, you could have easily liked the game. Themes play a part to.

I will say TLOU has poor pacing at times (what game doesnt?), I hated the seasonal transitional timeskips, but it was pretty thorough overall.

Edited by Mar

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'm on the same side as to not liking it much either, I found the story to be incredibly generic for a zombie game, the gameplay is pretty bare bones and the only enjoyable sections was with the infected. Fighting humans got old super fast

There are no zombies in The Last of Us. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The game does NOT have poor pacing. You can dislike it all you want but that is downright ignorance. It has been lauded left and right by journalists and authors everywhere for its pacing and storytelling. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AnimeDreama said:

The game does NOT have poor pacing. You can dislike it all you want but that is downright ignorance. It has been lauded left and right by journalists and authors everywhere for its pacing and storytelling. 

It is my opinion, if you cannot respect it, then stop replying, because THAT is ignorance. The boston area is the biggest offenders for the poor pacing and how badly it drags on.

• Like 1

I started playing TLOU with very high expectations, and I was not feeling it at all at first. I remember being at the part where you have to push Ellie around on a plank in the sewers, which is if I remember correctly like 3 hours into the game. I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than an hour at a time because I found it boring, but when it clicked, I started loving it so much and I ended up playing through it multiple times before I went on to another game, and I still sometimes re-watch my favourite scenes on Youtube. It remains my favourite game to this day. :)

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I'm glad that you have all of life figured out by lecturing everyone who disagrees with you about Naughty Dog games. 

Elevator pitches need to clear, concise and conveyed in two to three sentences. Once you get past "School, written papers, written statements, reviews, whatever" and into a professional career you'll learn that by thinking in those manners will help propel your career instead of getting you in a position where you're spending all your time creating "mature" droning responses people stop listening to after your second sentence. 

I love how out of context and exaggerated that first line is, trying to make a matter seem bigger than it actually is.

Right because reviews, college papers, and books follow your ridiculously flawed statement right? This isnt a banner, sale's pitch, or slogan.. lmao.. my post was moderately stating details on how TLOU gets better the more you go on and that it has at least good storytelling. 

Im going to start telling game reviewers that all they need to do in their text reviews is state that the game is good because the game has good gameplay, good framerate, and good story, or the opposite of good, and that their review is complete. That's your logic : detail is irrelevant. One, two, or three lines will cover it. Ill tell authors, bloggers, journalist, and the whole family the samething. Good talk.

Mature as in the habit of going indepth naturally after stating a broad statement, by experience. Dont try to twist the concept. I wasnt being condscending nor a smartass. It is immature to make a broad statement without any kind of supportive details following. Otherwise, this generation is good, cause I said so. This movie is good, because I liked it and said so.

EDIT: MANY people do what I do here and around the world. When people post their platinums on My Recent Platinum thread JUST SO YOU KNOW SINCE YOU SEEM TO SINGLE ME OUT, a lot of them do these incredibly long reviews. This argument is cancerous, it's common sense you should back up what you say for any decent validity and credibility and to be taken serious. If anyone takes my word for when I say a bland statement like "it gets better" that's naive. Id have no proof of that statement, regardless if it was true or not.

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mar said:

I love how out of context and exaggerated that first line is, trying to make a matter seem bigger than it actually is.

Right because reviews, college papers, and books follow your ridiculously flawed statement right? This isnt a banner, sale's pitch, or slogan.. lmao.. my post was moderately stating details on how TLOU gets better the more you go on and that it has at least good storytelling. 

Im going to start telling game reviewers that all they need to do in their text reviews is state that the game is good because the game has good gameplay, good framerate, and good gameplay, or the opposite of good, and that their review is complete. That's your logic : detail is irrelevant. One, two, or three lines will cover it. Ill tell authors, bloggers, journalist, and the whole family the samething. Good talk.

Mature as in the habit of going indepth naturally after stating a broad statement, by experience. Dont try to twist the concept. I wasnt being condscending nor a smartass. It is immature to make a broad statement without any kind of supportive details following. Otherwise, this generation is good, cause I said so. This movie is good, because I liked it and said so.

EDIT: MANY people do what I do here and around the world. When people post their platinums on My Recent Platinum thread JUST SO YOU KNOW SINCE YOU SEEM TO SINGLE ME OUT, a lot of them do these incredibly long reviews. This argument is cancerous, it's common sense you should back up what you say for any decent validity and credibility and to be taken serious. If anyone takes my word for when I say a bland statement like "it gets better" that's naive. Id have no proof of that statement, regardless if it was true or not.

The OP was essentially a status post and warranted a status post (aka short and light on depth) response. That was my original point that got taken on this adventure.

As far as other people and their activities, you can believe what you want, but I'm not singling you out. You happened to post in a thread I was reading. I replied, you replied. It's just the way forums work. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

The OP was essentially a status post and warranted a status post (aka short and light on depth) response. That was my original point that got taken on this adventure.

As far as other people and their activities, you can believe what you want, but I'm not singling you out. You happened to post in a thread I was reading. I replied, you replied. It's just the way forums work. 

Short and light on depth? Based on? There's no clarification on keeping it short in the OP, so I had every right to go in-depth as much as I did.

You clearly singled me out.... What's up with all the lies?

27 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

19 minutes ago, Mar said:

Short and light on depth? Based on? There's no clarification on keeping it short in the OP, so I had every right to go in-depth as much as I did.

You clearly singled me out.... What's up with all the lies?

Yes. Mount the windmare and join in glorious battle in front of everyone. Tear each other apart and claim your reward across the Bifrost. ODIN DEMANDS IT!

7 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

i finally started playing it yesterday after years of hearing about it and taking all the appraisals with a pinch of salt

and my god, this game is DULL!!

does it get better as the game goes on? so far i have reached the part where joel meets ellie for the first time. before that i was mainly running about, shooting a few people with next to no bullets and doing stealth kills, thats it really. the gameplay aspects seems really limited in what you can actually do thus far. i want to play more in the hope it'd get better.

really hope the game gets better as its gotten countless appraisals by people but am wondering if the best is yet to come or if something flew over my head in all of the hype!

Slim Version:

Yes. That part is the beginning, the game picks up shortly after Ellie joins the group. Theres a bit more game-play depth like modding your weapons and leveling up Joel. Plus some.

It does, but mostly from a story-telling front, since that's the game's main focus. The gameplay will get better (shiving doors, modding weapons, getting more weapons, etc), but to a lesser extent than the story's development.

I suggest seeing how things are after Bill's Town Chapter.

Edited by Mar

It's a shame that you aren't enjoying it. For me, "The Last of Us" it's the definition of a perfect game, with great gameplay and a great story. I loved every second of it, from beginning to end. The gameplay and the story kept me interested since the beginning and there wasn't even a second that made me feel bored. Usually, it only takes me around 20 minutes (sometimes even less) with a game to be able to conclude if I like it or not and this is usually very accurate. It's possible to learn to like something, if you really want to, but of course it will never be like if you loved the game since the beggining. The gameplay isn't going to change much, but you will be introduced to new resources as the game progresses. The story gets more and more intense emotionally, resulting in a brutally strong and emotional ending. I love "The Last of Us" beyond words, but if you aren't enjoying it, it probably isn't for you. I suggest you play it a bit more, but you shouldn't force yourself to keep playing it, if you continue to not enjoy it. I honestly feel sorry the minority of people that don't like this game. I feel blessed to have "The Last of Us" in my life. <3 

• Like 1

Personally, I think the game is very overrated.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the game. I can forgive it for its bland gameplay and "we're too fancy to use real zombies but honestly they're just zombies" attitude because the storytelling is so nice, even if the story has been told time and again (I see it as Walking Dead with a Children Of Men twist but really enough other examples around). A story does not have to be original for me if it's told well.

I think it's an excellent game but it's still overrated, so many people and magazines are calling it "best game ever" and in my opinion it does not deserve to be called that, I feel like any game with a shot at that title should have stronger gameplay. I'd rate it pretty high on the list of games with great storytelling, though - if you forget the gameplay for a moment, it's really an excellent movie you're watching with more character development than three seasons of Walking Dead put together (the tv show obviously, not the comics, but that's a can of worms for a different thread). I'm definitely going for the sequel, seeing how much Uncharted 4 improved on the gameplay of the previous games I have high hopes for the gameplay in TLOU2.

Also, if the prologue didn't get to you, you might be a robot.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

i am now at the point where i just left Tess behind. it's gotten a little bit better and the cutscenes make it absorbing, although theres more running than there is action. i liked the dark room in dealing with those infected and clickers.

i wonder how many playthroughs i need to do to max out everything and get those trophies? i've been exploring around whilst playing. the scavenging for parts and ammo can be fun

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

i am now at the point where i just left Tess behind. it's gotten a little bit better and the cutscenes make it absorbing, although theres more running than there is action. i liked the dark room in dealing with those infected and clickers.

i wonder how many playthroughs i need to do to max out everything and get those trophies? i've been exploring around whilst playing. the scavenging for parts and ammo can be fun

~2.5 playthroughs I think to max out.  3 total for the plat.

* I like this game so much I'm gonna plat it on PS3 (already did PS4) for my #100. Can't wait.

Edited by audiopile

1 hour ago, rockstarjazz said:

Like I said, gets better shortly after Ellie joins the gang. Things start to develop and progress. Played the game about 7-8 times, the beginning was always boring.. always but I always enjoyed the rest of the game when the beginning parts were over. Same exact case with Uncharted 3 - pre'London boring and slow as fuck, Post-London interesting and fun. Action will also increase soon.

Considering what you said about the running though, it's a very common theme in TLOU (all of ND games, really) and it will continue especially in the chapter you're on/about to do, especially towards the end. Just thought I should tell you that. 

The action during Pittsburgh should keep you satisfied for a bit.

Edited by Mar

13 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

Around 3 playthroughs for maxing out everything and 8 for difficulty trophies if you just do it one at a time with NG+, although you can do it the hard way and just do hard then survivor and survivor plus. All difficulty trophies stack, so there's no need to replay it over and over unless you really fucking love the game.

21 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Also, if the prologue didn't get to you, you might be a robot.

The prologue was far too predictable and cliche, my problem with the entire game's story tbh. The only thing I didn't see coming was the ending, and that totally ruined any emotional impact the story may have had. I just thought to myself "wow, shocker, didn't see this coming at all..." and moved on with the story. There was 0 suspense throughout the entire narrative and that made it so dull to sit through.

The stealth gameplay offered some tense moments, but at the same time it's also full of flaws so part of the suspense comes from hoping that the game works properly for this attempt.

• Like 1

I think liking the game is fine and I don't think it's expressly terrible, but to put it as one of the best games you've ever played I simply can't believe. Have you not played any other game in your life? I don't know why people treat generic zombie (sorry fungus monster) human drama number 4590 as some artistic masterpiece and the stealth gameplay is nothing to write home about and has been done better in countless other games. Mind you I got bored with it well before Ellie even appeared so I'm probably not the best judge I'll admit but the way people elevate everything Naughty Dog produces as some groundbreaking technological and emotional masterpiece is beyond me, especially considering they used to make much more entertaining games that actually properly balanced gameplay and story as opposed to slowing everything down for two seconds for more inane dialogue. I think it's a desperate attempt to be taken seriously as an artform so they'll take anything that's even promoted as such. I have a bit more experience with the Uncharted games and they're some of the most dull games I've ever played. Again, not outright terrible, but just a generic third person shooter with the occasional platforming (barely) elements.

The worst thing is Naughty Dog seems to have some disdain for their older games and thinks they're too mature for kiddie stuff and have evolved beyond it. Hell, TLOU came about because they were trying to make a darker an grittier Jak and Daxter but couldn't censor themselves. It's also sad to see this mentality in the current ND fans as well.

Yeah ND, you've evolved. Into the same crap everyone else has. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I think liking the game is fine and I don't think it's expressly terrible, but to put it as one of the best games you've ever played I simply can't believe. Have you not played any other game in your life? I don't know why people treat generic zombie (sorry fungus monster) human drama number 4590 as some artistic masterpiece and the stealth gameplay is nothing to write home about and has been done better in countless other games. Mind you I got bored with it well before Ellie even appeared so I'm probably not the best judge I'll admit but the way people elevate everything Naughty Dog produces as some groundbreaking technological and emotional masterpiece is beyond me, especially considering they used to make much more entertaining games that actually properly balanced gameplay and story as opposed to slowing everything down for two seconds for more inane dialogue. I think it's a desperate attempt to be taken seriously as an artform so they'll take anything that's even promoted as such. I have a bit more experience with the Uncharted games and they're some of the most dull games I've ever played. Again, not outright terrible, but just a generic third person shooter with the occasional platforming (barely) elements.

The worst thing is Naughty Dog seems to have some disdain for their older games and thinks they're too mature for kiddie stuff and have evolved beyond it. Hell, TLOU came about because they were trying to make a darker an grittier Jak and Daxter but couldn't censor themselves. It's also sad to see this mentality in the current ND fans as well.

Yeah ND, you've evolved. Into the same crap everyone else has. 

Have you tried Uncharted 4? I thought the romance tumor was awful but other than that I thought the game was much better than the previous ones, gameplay as well.

Other than that, as I wrote earlier in this thread I believe these games are overrated as well, though I'd still rate them as enjoyable because predictable story is not bad in my book as long as the presentation is good.