trying to enjoy the game..

rockstarjazz

edit: actually i like this game now. this thread chronicles my journey in getting the platinum..

---

old/previous edit: i finally started playing it yesterday after years of hearing about it and taking all the appraisals with a pinch of salt

and my god, this game is DULL!!

does it get better as the game goes on? so far i have reached the part where joel meets ellie for the first time. before that i was mainly running about, shooting a few people with next to no bullets and doing stealth kills, thats it really. the gameplay aspects seems really limited in what you can actually do thus far. i want to play more in the hope it'd get better.

really hope the game gets better as its gotten countless appraisals by people but am wondering if the best is yet to come or if something flew over my head in all of the hype!

Edited by rockstarjazz

Yeah it's a really excellent game, in fact I'd go as far as saying it's my favourite game of all time, everything from the voice acting to the gameplay to the story. I am a huge fan of the Uncharted series too which is unsurprisingly similar given it's made the same developer. Give it more time and I'm sure you won't be disappointed 

• Like 1

Personally, I loved the game, everything from the gameplay, story, music, atmosphere and voice acting, but it isn't a fast paced action oriented game and I can see why some gamers wouldn't like that. I do think the game does pick up from where you are (you haven't even really encountered infected yet) but it is still a much slower paced game than something like Uncharted and it takes some inspiration from survival horror games, which I'm sure you've noticed with the lack of ammunition. That doesn't change, you're in a post apocalyptic world and every encounter is supposed to be thought out and difficult in order to save supplies.

You don't have to enjoy the game though, if you're not enjoying it just stop playing, not all games are enjoyable to everyone, even critically acclaimed ones.

Parker 

• Like 2

The Last of Us is a very story driven game, thus the gameplay is stripped to only the most basic and essential elements. The beginning hour or so can be pretty dull, but once you get outside the Boston Quarantine zone it picks up considerably. Stick with it. You might be surprised.

3 minutes ago, ihadalifeb4this said:

I don't agree with Shinigamae. On survival you have to go stealth. TLOU is mediocre as stealth game.

Hmm I don't think so. You don't need to do stealth much. Just use what you have in a smart way and you can survive. Also, you couldn't skip most parts without clearing the whole area so it's not a stealth game at all.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

i finally started playing it yesterday after years of hearing about it and taking all the appraisals with a pinch of salt

and my god, this game is DULL!!

does it get better as the game goes on? so far i have reached the part where joel meets ellie for the first time. before that i was mainly running about, shooting a few people with next to no bullets and doing stealth kills, thats it really. the gameplay aspects seems really limited in what you can actually do thus far. i want to play more in the hope it'd get better.

really hope the game gets better as its gotten countless appraisals by people but am wondering if the best is yet to come or if something flew over my head in all of the hype!

So here's the thing. Firstly, the beginning, especially before meeting Ellie, is slow and boring.. because nothing is happening yet (like in most games). Character development isnt happening yet, there's no tension, the story hasn't officially started yet, your GP inventory is underdeveloped, etc. The gameplay in this game is limited, to an extent, but vastly better than the Uncharted games, but you haven't even experienced all the mechanics yet. You havent been able to upgrade Joel, upgrade and mod your weapons, or even attained half your full arsenal. Overall though, im not sure what else you'd expect from a 3rd person, action shooter with focus on stealth. The melee combat is half assed but the majority of TLOU GP I think is ok for the genre the game is, especially as a first installment.

The game's primary focus is still the storytelling. The game gets better from a storytelling perspective mostly but also fairly from a GP perspective to. Your arsenal is going to grow, like in Resistance, Jak, Dead Space, R&C, so fourth. You'll be able to change up GP with your creativity a little with the later items like smoke bombs, nail bombs, and the bow. It's still vastly better than Uncharted's where in that game your arsenal does not grow.. it stays the same 2 carrable guns + grenade, the stealth from TLOU is more engaging than the filler, unengaging platforming and the stealth mechanics in Uncharted, you cant level up Nathan, you cant level up the guns (MP exclusive), the melee combat is unfortunately the same scripted, non'depth system that it is from U1/U2/U4 in TLOU, except when Joel possess a gun and can use a human as a shield or bait to have other enemies put down their sight of fire, etc.

So expect to see the most development in the storytelling that's what the game (and ND's Uncharted franchise) is mostly praised for. This includes the characters, their actions and motives, and their relationship and interactions. I highly recommend making it through the Bill (Town's) arc. Then if you're still feeling the exact same, you should consider stopping. By that point you would have experienced most if not all of what the game has to offer at its core, with the exception of missing out on later inventory items, since the game doesnt have the depth component that Left Behind introduced. (Again, the beginning is naturally boring by the writing choice.)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shinigamae said:

Hmm I don't think so. You don't need to do stealth much. Just use what you have in a smart way and you can survive. Also, you couldn't skip most parts without clearing the whole area so it's not a stealth game at all.

Good point. TLOU gives you 5 bullets and 10 enemies than when you kill them all without alerting anybody you are awarded  with 10 new enemies. I agree.  You can't really call that stealth game.

• Like 1

Personally, I was hooked on the game from the very start. It's probably not a game for people who need high octane action 24/7 to stay interested. I loved both the gameplay and story. I mean I played the multiplayer for hours on end just because of how fun it was. But hey, to each their own. I would recommend playing for a bit longer, though, as you're still quite early on and there's always the chance it could win you over.

• Like 1

TLOU is an average third person shooter with superb voice acting. The game's draw heavily relies on the characters and the story.

OP, if you're asking if the gameplay gets better, then no. It's a shooter/stealth mash up that relies more on stealth on harder difficulties which can slow things down a bit. It'll progressively get more difficult, but essentially stay the same. You either like it or not. There won't be some deciding factor that happens four or five chapters from now where you say to yourself that it's just amazing now.

If you asking if the story gets better, then absolutely. The hype train that TLoU rides on is definitely about the story and why I'd advise you to stick it out for at least a few more chapters.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mar said:

So here's the thing. Firstly, the beginning, especially before meeting Ellie, is slow and boring.. because nothing is happening yet (like in most games). Character development isnt happening yet, there's no tension, the story hasn't officially started yet, your GP inventory is underdeveloped, etc. The gameplay in this game is limited, to an extent, but vastly better than the Uncharted games, but you haven't even experienced all the mechanics yet. You havent been able to upgrade Joel, upgrade and mod your weapons, or even attained half your full arsenal. Overall though, im not sure what else you'd expect from a 3rd person, action shooter with focus on stealth. The melee combat is half assed but the majority of TLOU GP I think is ok for the genre the game is, especially as a first installment.

The game's primary focus is still the storytelling. The game gets better from a storytelling perspective mostly but also fairly from a GP perspective to. Your arsenal is going to grow, like in Resistance, Jak, Dead Space, R&C, so fourth. You'll be able to change up GP with your creativity a little with the later items like smoke bombs, nail bombs, and the bow. It's still vastly better than Uncharted's where in that game your arsenal does not grow.. it stays the same 2 carrable guns + grenade, the stealth from TLOU is more engaging than the filler, unengaging platforming and the stealth mechanics in Uncharted, you cant level up Nathan, you cant level up the guns (MP exclusive), the melee combat is unfortunately the same scripted, non'depth system that it is from U1/U2/U4 in TLOU, except when Joel possess a gun and can use a human as a shield or bait to have other enemies put down their sight of fire, etc.

So expect to see the most development in the storytelling that's what the game (and ND's Uncharted franchise) is mostly praised for. This includes the characters, their actions and motives, and their relationship and interactions. I highly recommend making it through the Bill (Town's) arc. Then if you're still feeling the exact same, you should consider stopping. By that point you would have experienced most if not all of what the game has to offer at its core, with the exception of missing out on later inventory items, since the game doesnt have the depth component that Left Behind introduced. (Again, the beginning is naturally boring by the writing choice.)

Should a game need three paragraphs of explanation and comparisons to other games to keep a person playing? Maybe it's not just not for him.

• Like 1

Running around and killing with the few bullets you scrounge is not what this game is about.  As others have said, if you aren't grabbed by the story then you will probably not get much from the game.  It's also quite linear.

Try multiplayer, its a bit faster paced and pretty decent as far as MP goes.

Edited by audiopile

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Should a game need three paragraphs of explanation and comparisons to other games to keep a person playing? Maybe it's not just not for him.

Yes, is necessary when trying to explain how and why the game is BOTH boring and then gets better. I touched upon various subjects, not 1 or 2. Obviously a vague "it gets better as you get further" or any other 1 or 2 liner like that has no REAL reassurance or persuasion (does no good). There's also the matter of heightening someones perspective and motivation when certain examples/comparisons are said. If someone were to example skip out on Dying Light because of their experience with Dead Island BECAUSE they JUST heard it was from some of the same devs, we'd know why, but if someone goes indepth explaining why DL is not bad like DI is, it'd obviously make a difference.

Regardless, he hasnt gotten far enough. The beginning is objectively boring, objectively slowed paced, so fourth. Games, like movies and books, tend to get better as you go further. Not all of these medias have that immediate interest hook in the beginning. TLOU relies on development and pacing factor.

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'm on the same side as to not liking it much either, I found the story to be incredibly generic for a zombie game, the gameplay is pretty bare bones and the only enjoyable sections was with the infected. Fighting humans got old super fast

Story is generic.

Story-telling is great, even if generic.

Not many people realize they're 2 seperate things. People also enjoy Uncharted because of its story telling, not the actual story. 

Edited by Mar

10 minutes ago, Mar said:

Yes, is necessary when trying to explain how and why the game is BOTH boring and then gets better. I touched upon various subjects, not 1 or 2. Obviously a vague "it gets better as you get further" or any other 1 or 2 liner like that has no REAL reassurance or persuasion (does no good). There's also the matter of heightening someones perspective and motivation when certain examples/comparisons are said. If someone were to example skip out on Dying Light because of their experience with Dead Island BECAUSE they JUST heard it was from some of the same devs, we'd know why, but if someone goes indepth explaining why DL is not bad like DI is, it'd obviously make a difference.

Regardless, he hasnt gotten fair enough regardless. The beginning is objectively boring, objectively slowed paced, so fourth. Games, like movies and books, tend to get better as you go further. Not all of these medias have that immediate interest hook in the beginning. TLOU relies on development and pacing factor.

Story is generic.

Story-telling is great, even if generic.

Not many people realize they're 2 seperate things. People also enjoy Uncharted because of its story telling, not the actual story. People even mix in the campaign, naturally thinking a story is good because the campaign is good.

I disagree, the story was just straight up generic boring to me. As for uncharted and playing all of them I've only really enjoyed the 2nd one for the story

13 minutes ago, Mar said:

Regardless, he hasnt gotten fair enough regardless. The beginning is objectively boring, objectively slowed paced, so fourth. Games, like movies and books, tend to get better as you go further. Not all of these medias have that immediate interest hook in the beginning. TLOU relies on development and pacing factor.

Yeah, he hasn't gotten far and is already bored and questioning if the rest of the game is dull. I doubt he's going to read very far into to a few paragraphs to persuade him. I was kinda getting at the point that the response to his question should cater to the audience. If fact, it's just as likely (neither of us knows) that "it gets better as you get further" might do a world of good and is all he's looking for.

1 hour ago, ihadalifeb4this said:

Good point. TLOU gives you 5 bullets and 10 enemies than when you kill them all without alerting anybody you are awarded  with 10 new enemies. I agree.  You can't really call that stealth game.

Yeah man, I never felt TLOU to be a stealth game. It's an Uncharted game with some more stealth/survival elements, and a excellent story.

If you are into stealth games, TLOU might come out as a failure because there is no rewards for not killing anyone. Anyhow, that makes sense in that world where you have to kill (and loot) to survive.

Edited by Shinigamae

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I disagree, the story was just straight up generic boring to me. As for uncharted and playing all of them I've only really enjoyed the 2nd one for the story

Whether you find it boring or not... the story does get better... and it is pretty good. Your lack of interest is a personal matter to you related to enjoyment factor. I don't need to like the game to understand it tells its story well. There are some very prominent examples of bad storytelling games. Good storytelling is determined by the writing, not your enjoyment of the story. A game doesnt thus have a good story because you enjoyed the story. TLOU builds on Ellies and Joel's RS throughout the game. The end of their journey shows strong results of the game's consistent storytelling. Its consistent all throughout, stays focused, pacing is well, etc.

• Like 1