So how would you change trophies...?

willmill97

I know it's been said, but I think that some games should have Platinums that do not. My two prime examples of this are Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 on the PS3. Also, I would like to see old PS1 games that you can purchase on PS3 have trophies tied to them. I'd love to see an old Spyro 1-3 trophy list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Way to take it out to left field, SJW. 

I have no problem with the concept, but the e-peen comparing, bitching, witch hunting, accusing, horrible, childish and moronic outcome of people who obsess over others trophies and their verbal vomit typed out all over this site leave a bad impression on the reality of the situation.

I've stated in the past, I like trophies. I like when developers help give me an outline of everything a game has to experience by giving me things to strive for in a list. I just thought I'd comment with my input on a thread that asked for my input and got frustrated when multiple people didn't read the words in front of their eyes and assumed I type something I didn't. Forgive my outburst of using exclamation points and underlines to show what I actually wrote as you seem to be offended by it.

Or you could take your own advice and if you didn't like my input, ignore it. Simple as that.

If you want to call me a SJW, that's inaccurate (I'm a heavily anti-SJW pro-free-speech right-leaning libertarian), but also your prerogative. 

I understand that you don't like certain elements of the trend of comparing trophy lists. All I'm saying is, why impose something on others when you can just not participate in it yourself? You weren't wrong to emphasize that people were interpreting your original post wrongly, rather I was challenging the content of what you did mean. 

I definitely don't want you to not voice your opinion, I was simply (rather bluntly, I'll admit) disagreeing with the sentiment that your preference were to be imposed on everyone. I see how my comment sounded very much like an attack (and to a certain extent, it was, and I apologise for that, I had a shitty day), but I at the same time think it's not exactly incorrect to call someone who wants the rules for everyone to be tailored to their preference, an authoritarian. (Or at least call the statement itself an authoritarian one)

Also, saying people should let others do as they please, and arguing someone on a public platform about it, are two very different things. All ideas should be argued.

My intent wasn't to inflame anyone, but I do realise that my wording was sufficiently accusatory, that the negative tone set now is my fault. My apologies for that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PlayStation Home promised a feature like this. There was going to be a trophy room where you cold display your favourite trophies and what not and possibly invite people over to come have a look. I don't know if anything came of that since I never actually touched PlayStation Home, but still. It's a cool idea.

Sadly, PlayStation Home got shut down before that could be implemented.

On 22/02/2017 at 3:08 PM, totallycrushed said:

I'd like to see more of the trophy images that complete a bigger picture all together. i.e Resonance of Fate.

That's neat when you see that on a trophy list . Also the  DLCs trophies of Gravity Rush do that and i believe that also happens in Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni trophy list .

Edited by Sigma999

9 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

disagreeing with the sentiment that your preference were to be imposed on everyone.

I'll leave all the drama out of this and cut to the topic.

This whole thread is a hypothetical imposition of people's desires on everyone else. I see that my input was one that was enough to trigger a response from you.

I suppose I could have complicated what I thought was a light-hearted dream-a-little-dream post and prefaced my input as: I would have never allowed trophy lists to be viewed outside the console the account is on. Then it would never have taken anything away from anyone and stopped the collateral things about trophy comparing I find abhorrent (like the witch hunting, leaderboard camping, etc I mentioned above).

This site is the least infested site I've come across with it (congrats to most of this awesome community), but to "just not participate" is to just stop using this site all together. It's just not possible to participate in reading and responding to any statuses and forum topics without reading posts about the dark side of trophy comparing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'll leave all the drama out of this and cut to the topic.

This whole thread is a hypothetical imposition of people's desires on everyone else. I see that my input was one that was enough to trigger a response from you.

I suppose I could have complicated what I thought was a light-hearted dream-a-little-dream post and prefaced my input as: I would have never allowed trophy lists to be viewed outside the console the account is on. Then it would never have taken anything away from anyone and stopped the collateral things about trophy comparing I find abhorrent (like the witch hunting, leaderboard camping, etc I mentioned above).

This site is the least infested site I've come across with it (congrats to most of this awesome community), but to "just not participate" is to just stop using this site all together. It's just not possible to participate in reading and responding to any statuses and forum topics without reading posts about the dark side of trophy comparing.

Fair enough. 

On 2/23/2017 at 4:33 AM, Lithium_Lemon said:

My Trophy Suggestions:

1. Only online trophies count for the platinum. 

2. At least one online trophy has to require 100+ hours of boosting and/or active playing time to acquire.

3. All single player content should be considered as "DLC" and not count for platinum.

4. Going along with #2 the only single player trophies would be in relation to gathering collectibles. 

5. Each trophy for every game only is only allowed to have the name "Trophy".

6. Each trophy must have the generic bronze/silver/gold/platinum trophy images.

If all of these happened then and only then would we have the chance to encounter more bitching than is currently on the Uncharted 4 Survival Mode Thread. 

I second this. Amazing ideas. Why haven't sony hired you yet?

• Like 1

Awesome thread @willmill97 :yay: 

1. Change all lazy Platinum Trophy titlesAll the games with the "Platinum Trophy", "Platinum", etc Trophy titles shall be changed. It doesn't look attractive at all. If they don't change it, then why don't they just make all other Bronze trophies become "Bronze Trophy?" Nah, not at all. Examples are: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Battlefield 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, 2: Among Thieves and 3: Drake's Deception, etc. 
  2. Give fair number of Trophy Values to all games - There are some games that are selfish with their Trophy Values. Most of these are game with over 51 trophies. Examples are: Life is Strange, Gran Turismo 5, Batman: Arkham Knight, etc. They are selfish and greedy with Bronze trophies. Over 80% of their set is just Bronze. Some games don't have Silver trophies, e.g Call of Duty: Ghosts, My Name is Mayo, etc. This needs an improvement. I also second @Jyn Erso's opinion about this.
  3. Give trophies fair values (regarding difficulty) - Some trophies are super hard when it comes to earning them, but they are just Bronze trophies. WATCH_DOGS' Social Lubricant is one example, Gran Turismo 5's Car Collector is another example. It's super grindy and requires so many hours.
  • Like 2

i don't know if i'm being off topic but i don't think anybody mentionned that . We should get some sort of rewards from earning trophies like PS+ membership discounts coupon codes , sales ... I think that way trophy hunting would be much more compettive and fun ,  developpers would be instructed by Sony to create creative and challenging trophy list so the rewards are hard earned .

I think that's one of the most effective way to make trophy hunting enjoyable again 

Edited by vipers2314

On 24/02/2017 at 7:32 AM, veemonsticker said:

There's only one thing I would like added to the trophy system and that's a trophy progress tracker like XBOX One has.

+1 to this one. No more grinding without any idea of how close you are to the trophy. 

Would also help if the tracker was synced to the trophy list rather than your save game. That way even if you lose your save file or restart a game, you don't lose your existing progression. 

• Like 1

1. On his Xbox One, I've seen my little brother try to get achievements - like score X header goals or something, in Fifa 16 - and the home menu displayed an X counter to attaining that achievement. I would like one of them.
  2. Besides that, having to click square to view the hidden trophies is a bit pointless. I understand it for story-related/boss trophies, but otherwise, almost all other hidden trophies are pointless. Especially when they're collectibles.
  3. It's silly to me that DLCs don't have their own "folder" for trophies. Especially on games like Dragon Age/Mass Effect, where they release several DLC packs. Why not have one "folder"/menu for all DLC packs?
  4. I also realise that trophies don't take away from the enjoyment of the game too much - to most, they aren't integral - but I would like to see reviews containing more information about platinum difficulty as a sidenote. A "...by the way, this plat is 10/10 difficult to achieve" at least.
  5. Online trophies given offline alternatives. Mass Effect 3 done this the right way.
  6. Online trophies for games whose servers have been decommissioned, patched to automatically achieve, like Mercenaries 2's servers going down making them impossible.
  7. Less competition when it comes to social sites like here. It brings out the nasty side in people. I hate reading through a thread to 'be on topic' but reading insult after insult.
Edited by GarryKE

59 minutes ago, vipers2314 said:

i don't know if i'm being off topic but i don't think anybody mentionned that . We should get some sort of rewards from earning trophies like PS+ membership discounts coupon codes , sales ... I think that way trophy hunting would be much more compettive and fun ,  developpers would be instructed by Sony to create creative and challenging trophy list so the rewards are hard earned .

I think that's one of the most effective way to make trophy hunting enjoyable again 

Make it enjoyable again? When did trophy hunting ever stop being fun!? :blink: I must have missed that.

People have been asking for this ever since Xbox 360 achievements first became a thing. I like the idea of receiving an exclusive avatar or theme if you platinum a game. In fact, this has already happened with games like Bloodborne. However, offering some kind of monetary incentive in relation to trophies seems like a bad idea. I mean that would just encourage trophy whoring, and of course there would be developers out there who would take advantage of that. It's just unnecessary. Sony doesn't benefit from getting people to spend more time with their games. I'm sure they would prefer it if you moved onto the next game as soon as possible. They get more money that way. It just isn't practical to expect Sony to "instruct" developers on how to make trophy lists. They barely even know what's ending up on their store these days.

I don't need an excuse to collect trophies because I have a blast collecting them as they are right now. I'm not alone in that.

1 hour ago, GarryKE said:

On his Xbox One, I've seen my little brother try to get achievements - like score X header goals or something, in Fifa 16 - and the home menu displayed an X counter to attaining that achievement. I would like one of them.

This is one thing I'm jealous of. Since many games do not give in-game counter for things like this, it would be incredibly helpful if there was such counter on the trophy.

1 hour ago, vipers2314 said:

i don't know if i'm being off topic but i don't think anybody mentionned that . We should get some sort of rewards from earning trophies like PS+ membership discounts coupon codes , sales ...

Suppose you would get PS+ coupon because you Platted Sound Shapes 6 times... that would be pretty bad for Sony :awesome: 

• Like 1

Most things I would like to see are already summed up by other people. So i'm not going to be repetitive and list them another time. :-) 

But since the platinum trophy is awarded for earning all trophies in a game, i would add another trophy for completing games that don't have/deserve a platinum. That way you're also being rewarded for earning all trophies in those games. An Emerald trophy or something like that. Since a golden trophy is 90 points and a platinum is 180 points, i would make the value of the "Emerald trophy" somewhere around 120 points. 

Edited by Cellcrash1991

If I could have my way, I'd never allow trophy lists like that Mayo game and they should always require some skill / hours to get one. I also don't understand the people who propose getting rid of them in order to enjoy games again. I think you're doing it wrong, but for me, trophies are an enrichment of my experience, if anything. Getting a less than 5 death run on Limbo for example made me love the game even more. Doing SS rank run on Revengeance difficulty on MG Rising made me appreciate the combat and so on. Sure, there are also annoying ones, but I have never had the feeling that I appreciate the game less because of it. It makes me spend more time on a game than I would otherwise, it makes me play for my money. Trophies are great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenshyguy said:

+1 to this one. No more grinding without any idea of how close you are to the trophy. 

Would also help if the tracker was synced to the trophy list rather than your save game. That way even if you lose your save file or restart a game, you don't lose your existing progression. 

Yep. It's a no-brainer.

I'd require them to have unique images per trophy, so you can't get away with reusing the same one just recolored bronze/silver/gold [and often blue for plat]. Like World of Final Fantasy or the Digimon games. Such a waste. They require the trophies, may as well go a step further. An intern could rummage together enough icon art for this, it's not that hard guys. Half the time the games have enough art created for it, you can't even fathom why they even have the ugly reused icon in the first place. World of FF again... [I'll forever be butthurt about that game's icons].

I'd also cockblock any trophies that would become unobtainable if servers went offline. So, either put bots in that you can earn them with, or a secondary method of earning it, or no online trophies for your game. Not sure how this would work with online only games though. But, I wish all games weren't online only. Yes MMOs too. I can't be the only one that would play an MMO alone if they just tweaked the drop rates and some stats around.

Otherwise, I like how the system works. I love that trophies go toward individual counters, the ranking [bronze/silver/gold/plat], and the PSN level it all contributes to. Gamerscore is so meh, could never really care about it. The only thing I liked about Achievements on Xbox was the "Completed" page, but DLC achievements kind of ruined that.

edit; Though speaking of Xbox, PS really needs progression counters in all games for trophies. And all trophies related to getting 'x' amount of money should state explicitly if it's cumulative or not.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

On 25-2-2017 at 3:57 PM, GarryKE said:
  1. On his Xbox One, I've seen my little brother try to get achievements - like score X header goals or something, in Fifa 16 - and the home menu displayed an X counter to attaining that achievement. I would like one of them.
  2. Besides that, having to click square to view the hidden trophies is a bit pointless. I understand it for story-related/boss trophies, but otherwise, almost all other hidden trophies are pointless. Especially when they're collectibles.
  3. It's silly to me that DLCs don't have their own "folder" for trophies. Especially on games like Dragon Age/Mass Effect, where they release several DLC packs. Why not have one "folder"/menu for all DLC packs?
  4. I also realise that trophies don't take away from the enjoyment of the game too much - to most, they aren't integral - but I would like to see reviews containing more information about platinum difficulty as a sidenote. A "...by the way, this plat is 10/10 difficult to achieve" at least.
  5. Online trophies given offline alternatives. Mass Effect 3 done this the right way.
  6. Online trophies for games whose servers have been decommissioned, patched to automatically achieve, like Mercenaries 2's servers going down making them impossible.
  7. Less competition when it comes to social sites like here. It brings out the nasty side in people. I hate reading through a thread to 'be on topic' but reading insult after insult.

2. uhhh, they do on the PS3. Just press square when in a trophy list.

I think it would be awesome if obtaining certain trophies (I.e a platinum, 100% trophy) would unlock a special theme and/or avatar. I know PlayStation gave out an exclusive theme to players that platinumed Bloodborne within a certain timeframe. Therefore this feature is possible and would be a great addition to the current trophy system :)