Forums that you regret joining and why you left them

Alantor32

Hey, I wonder if this is okay. If so, people can post about forums you regret joining before coming here and why you left them.

I'll go first, the first two forums I first joined were Freezecracker (If you don't know who Geoff Mendicino, look him up) and GameFAQs a long time ago, but I left them because I couldn't stand the trolling and idiocy in the forums..

Most notably playfire.com Site changed owners/mods multiple times and just felt disconnected with the community. This went on for a few years and the place kind of went dead after a while, with only the same 10 posters being active.

I was also active on raptr but those boards really weren't that alive to begin with, and i'm not even sure there is still a forum side now.

Edited by xZoneHunter

I won't give the name because they don't deserve the publicity, but I left because the whole place felt like it was like a hive mind. If you disagreed with something or even liked a movie that they hated, you would get jumped by more than one person each time. I remember one guy in particular would put words in your mouth and then act like he won the argument every time. The thing that really caused me to leave though was one member was sick with something that I'm not even sure what it was, so she made a good-bye post and the site creator pretty much used it as an excuse to make some "Oh we're not just a community, we're a family" crap when it couldn't have been any farther from the truth.

Among other things, some people would get banned for stupid reasons, while other people that did deserve a ban only got a week ban or a slap on the wrist. But the whole hive mind thing was ridiculous. I guess I wound up disagreeing with them so much that they didn't make a Happy Birthday thread for me like they did other people despite it being listed at the bottom of the home page. I know there are worse places but seriously fuck that place.

I was also on the BioWare The Old Republic forums anticipating The Old Republic MMO. It was pretty toxic from the get go but I guess I stayed because I wanted to partake in discussions. The off-topic area got so bad that they removed it altogether. The rest of the forums were pretty much bickering and swinging around e-penises. Perhaps the most funny part was the Class sub-forum, where all the different classes would argue with each other over who would kill who in PvP and who was better. I honestly couldn't tell if it was just some really dedicated roleplay or people were really that into it. I just stopped posting there a bit after the game came out, so I have no idea if it's still around or not or even active.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xeliot said:

Kinda Funny Forums. Most kiss ass, fake people I've ever seen. Glad I'm not part of their "positive community" anymore.

Yep this is why I left too. I had a quick look at the forums when Colin announced he was leaving KF and that place is just a fucking dumpster fire right now. 

I enjoy watching KF content, but jesus christ the forums are bad. If you criticize anything KF related on their forums your going to have at least 5 or 10 users give you a hard time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redgrave said:

I won't give the name because they don't deserve the publicity

Same way I feel.

But what Redgrave said, pretty much is what I experienced with a forum I frequented for about 3 years. I quit posting about a month ago, and never plan on going back. For 3 years I tried to be an active and contributing member of that forum, and no matter what, the other members always made me feel like I was an outsider, like I was chiming in on conversations that I didn't earn the right to be apart of yet. There's always that one damn member though, who thinks they are the leader of the flock, and it's thier responsibility and privilege to hassle you and belittle you in front of the other members. And then when you finally blow up on the forums at them, they want to know where all the hostility is coming from all of a sudden. I can understand a little hazing the noobs, but after 3 years and hundreds of posts, I figured I had earned a bit of prestige in that place. NOPE. It's basically a clan of 3-4 posters who belittle and troll everyone else while they always agree with each other. After 3 years, I say let them have their circle jerk. Because it ain't worth it, and I've given that place enough of my time.

• Like 4

The official Xbox forums, they have gone to trash and I have lost contact to most of my xbl friends. It's that bad that I haven't renewed my games for gold.

Some rpg forum site, I think it was rpg fan. Anyway, I always felt like I was left out with people ignoring anything I put into the forums. Stuck around for about a year but simply had enough of the crap, particularly by the owner. The same guy who came out to dismiss anything I said, here's an example,

me: I think Way of the Samurai 4 has a great chance of an English release.

owner/mod: You don't know what you're talking about, that's never going to happen, it's not even an rpg etc etc etc

The above was the response to pretty much anything I had to say about anything. I mean FFS, I helped one girl there with her TV and fixing an HDMI port, she was very grateful yet I'm still pounded by the community because they couldn't help? With responses like "That fix was too simple, that's why we missed it" An extremely full of shit community that I am thankfully not a part of now. I wonder if they ever mentioned my thoughts on unreleased games that came true?

Edited by Z1MZUM

2 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

Most notably playfire.com Site changed owners/mods multiple times and just felt disconnected with the community. This went on for a few years and the place kind of went dead after a while, with only the same 10 posters being active.

Ah man I remember Playfire back when it first came online. I really liked the layout of the site but like you said, the lack of community drove me away from that site.

Just looked it up and it's completely different than what it used to be lol Glad to see it's still around at least.

Edited by Death_Ninja
  • Like 1

The old Bioware Social Network, that place was a dumpster fire full of people who hated each other so much they couldn't leave the forums until they were shut down.

Gamefaqs has always been a place full of the worst kind of trolls.

The paragon forums were pretty bad the last time I went there, but that's a moba forums so it's not that surprising.

I left gamefaqs years ago, just the worst site really. Trollish and stupid.

Westeros, years of discussing when Martin would finish Game of Thrones. Spoiler alert, the show will finish the story and I am fine with that.

Several subreddits over the years. 

Can't say I've really left any website I joined
Although I do regret joining gamefaqs no explanation really needed 
Gamespot I do still occasionally visit every so often but pretty much left when the website changed
Which is about How I ended up on this website to begin with.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I remembered my log in and site for the 2nd one I mentioned. Not surprisingly it's exactly the same people there with no new names. I thought about posting "Wassup Biatches", but instead I just logged out. Sad really as there are at least 2 people there that I liked.

TrueTrophies. I left for PSNP because I was sick of the staff and some of the userbase (long story but I actually was staff on TrueAchievements at one point and moved to TrueTrophies as just a member when I got a PS4). PSNP's userbase isn't much better but at least there's more users so it's easier to ignore the bad apples, also PSNP is much busier (so forums are more talkative and stats are more reliable) and has my favourite things, user created events and polls and to a lesser extent user created news (so much important news got left out on TT, in part because they wanted all news on multiplatform games to be written by the TA staff but there were other issues).

Edited by BillyHorrible

FFXV's official forum. forum.finalfantasyxv.com

It was a relatively good community. Not perfect. All avenues of free opinions and varying types of people gathering are like that - but it was a good forum when it was actively moderated to keep away the spammers and the rare toxic-well. I think many members developed emotional investment for the place before the Technical Support section got flooded by glitch reports on the Xbox port and complaints on the game's story & content. There was the near-immediate timing of mods letting spammers flood the place only to have the site shut down for "maintenance".

We often discussed not just feedback or topics on FFXV, but other topics as well. The 2016 election, other games, anime/movies, SJW/Kotaku culture, etc. Since it wasn't a big community, you got familiarized with all users quick. My regret was spending all those hours on a forum which Square Enix was not willing to honour to keep running for at least a while.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

PSNP's userbase isn't much better 

What makes you say that? For me this place is easily the best forum I've been apart of (and I've been a member of quite a few across the Internet). There are some pretty god awful forums on the Internet, but PSNP has got to be one of the better ones in my opinion.

3 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

What makes you say that? For me this place is easily the best forum I've been apart of (and I've been a member of quite a few across the Internet). There are some pretty god awful forums on the Internet, but PSNP has got to be one of the better ones in my opinion.

It was not intended as a burn, I'll try to explain my opinion a bit better.

What I meant with it was, TT had some very annoying people (trolls, haters, racists, whatever). PSNP has some people like that too (every forum has, let's be honest). So PSNP is not better in the sense that they have some active trolls/haters/racists/whatever too. PSNP is better though in the sense that its percentage of these people is lower and theres thousands more people on here so there's much, much, much more traffic. It gets very hard to ignore the bad apples when there are only about one or two dozen regular forum users, the number of comments on most news threads don't even break into the double digits.

So I'm actually saying that the PSNP userbase IS better, though I used the words "isn't much better" to say that our forums aren't without trolls/haters/racists/whatever. I could have phrased myself better but then again it was very early for me when I wrote that post, but still I regret the implications. I think no active enough forum is without these, and there are certainly some very bad forums out there.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2017 at 9:32 PM, SnowxSakura said:

I still sometimes use the guides on there, but stay away from the forums on gamefaqs, some of the most toxic people on the internet

This in a nutshell. Although I do still visit gamefaqs from time to time for lulz. Anyway I stopped using the gametrailers forums after the update that removed the private factions. A lot of the user base moved to different sites and we all know GT is dead now. Nothing of value was lost.

• Like 1

I joined gamefaqs right before I joined here, I took one look at a thread I wanted to read for advice. The OP asked a pretty simple question, can't remember what it was exactly but the following three or four pages quickly escalated into a massive flame war for absolutely no reason. I left around fifteen minutes and zero posts into my membership :lol:

I used to be on gtaforums too, as well as a Metal Gear & Skyrim/Elder scrolls forum. I didn't have any unpleasant experiences there, I just got bored of them pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Stupid people, fake people, people with ulterior motives, racist people exist on everywhere! It's like a VIRUS from Resident Evil game scattered around the world/ internet, of course not everyone is like this (and it's good)
I'm a member of some sites like gamefaqs or psntrophies.org or exophase, but the only one where i spend the most time is here on psnprofiles!

BTW Youtube is the worse place to have a discussion, is full of shitty people  with nothing in the head! It's a waste of time arguing with these people

• Like 3