Project Platinum: Metroidvania

Kevvik

On 8/23/2018 at 1:51 AM, SirShavesALot said:

Hi.  Can I be added as well?  ?

I have completed:

1. Dust: An Elysian Tale

2. Headlander

3. Salt and Sanctuary

I have Teslagrad, Apotheon, and Song of the Deep in my backlog.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, OobiGod said:

I have teslagrad

Welcome aboard, new explorers!

On 8/24/2018 at 5:29 PM, BlazikieronUS said:

I finished rogue legacy

Updated!  Keep up the good work!

Edited by Kevvik

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 8:42 AM, Dilust said:

Please sign me up for Metroidvania Watcher.

Never capable of obtaining the last two orbs from Guacamelee.

Welcome aboard!  I've got to get back to finishing Guacamelee myself.  Maybe we can both get it done.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:38 AM, Dragon-Archon said:

With the PP Challenge Accepted being closed, you could add Rogue Legacy to this PP. Muramasa Rebirth is also up for grabs and could be added to this one or Way of the Sword.

Sent a query to Hemiak to see if they are officially closed or just in suspension due to lack of interest.

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 7:37 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Slightly off topic, but for people who played Sundered...did you like it? I've heard such mixed things about it that I'm afraid to get it, but I liked Jotun so much that it's hard to fathom that the developers dropped the ball that badly.

Man, it's so weird to revisit this thread and read this comment.

Holy smokes - did the developers drop the ball on Sundered!

On 11/28/2018 at 8:55 AM, markie816 said:

add me for apprentice. Completed teslagrad

Added!  Welcome aboard!

On 11/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, BarradasRamos said:

shouldn't guacamelee 2 be on this list?

Update should be added during the Christmas holidays.  I've got a couple of others to add as well.

On 11/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Man, it's so weird to revisit this thread and read this comment.

Holy smokes - did the developers drop the ball on Sundered!

Have to admit I found Sundered really underwhelming as well.

10 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Update should be added during the Christmas holidays.  I've got a couple of others to add as well.

9 hours ago, xh117 said:

Shouldn't Castlevania be on this?

It will probably be added during the holidays as @Kevvik already said in the post before ;)

I'm curious to see what new games will be added.

Edited by Kurorac
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The following games will be being added to the Metroidvania PP

Guacamelee 2

Rabi-Ribi

Forma.8

Unepic

Timespinner

Rogue Legacy (appropriated from Challenge Accepted Vita)

The Mummy Demastered

Also adding Iconoclasts to the 100% super plat requirement as well. 

New requirements for the trophy tiers will be going up in the days to come and will be reflective of the Metroidvania theme.  Anyone with artistic tendencies who would like to help with some new emblems can see the ones I hope to add at this post...  

As soon as I have the new emblems, I'll post the modifications to the OP.  If nobody can do the artwork for me, I'll give it a shot late next week and we'll hope for the best.  Thanks for the assistance from those bringing up new games for addition and hopefully the new state will be enjoyed by all.

• Like 4

On 28/12/2018 at 2:03 AM, Kevvik said:

The following games will be being added to the Metroidvania PP

Guacamelee 2

Rabi-Ribi

Forma.8

Unepic

Timespinner

Rogue Legacy (appropriated from Challenge Accepted Vita)

The Mummy Demastered

Also adding Iconoclasts to the 100% super plat requirement as well. 

New requirements for the trophy tiers will be going up in the days to come and will be reflective of the Metroidvania theme.  Anyone with artistic tendencies who would like to help with some new emblems can see the ones I hope to add at this post...  

As soon as I have the new emblems, I'll post the modifications to the OP.  If nobody can do the artwork for me, I'll give it a shot late next week and we'll hope for the best.  Thanks for the assistance from those bringing up new games for addition and hopefully the new state will be enjoyed by all.

I have completed 7 games,add me please

Axiom verge

Dust an elysian tail

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Salt and Sanctuary

Shadow Complex Remastered

Teslagrad

Forma.8

Metroidvania Connoisseur

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the new games have been added to the PP and begun the amendments to the OP.  Additionally, Steamworld Dig 2 has been added to the game titles.

Please observe the new orientation of how your rank in the Hall of Fame is now determined with the Fantasy Path and Sci-Fi Missions delineation of games.  Also, for gold rank and above, side quests will become required in order to hold those ranks.

The split is to encourage easier progression through ranks on the Fantasy Path or Sci-Fi Missions.  I hope that this will encourage people to complete games while feeling a sense of progression rather than thinking "I need to do 5 games to get to the next level.  Well, maybe someday...".  I also believe that achieving multiple targets for the higher levels channels the Metroidvania spirit into the mix for the Hall of Fame.  You may feel differently and please feel free to provide constructive criticism as I tend to tune out outright bitching.

I have also incorporated both a Castlevania award and a Metroid themed trophy into the Super Platinum rank.  I think this speaks to the history of the genre and give it a little more shine.

To answer the coming questions about a few titles and their presence/absence:

Sundered is in the Sci-Fi Missions as I have always considered the Cosmic Horror genre to be closer to pulp sci-fi than fantasy.  This is why I put this title here.

Touhou Double Focus may yet get a special award but as inclusion of one title has historically within the PP tradition required the inclusion of a full series, I have left it out.  While Double Focus is clearly a solid Metroidvania, the rest of the games do not fall into the genre so it sits on the wayside.

Castlevania Requiem...I really wanted to put this in but discussion with my predecessor when I took the PP over and since still have us of the same opinion.  Despite the critical importance to the genre of Metroidvania of the early games, the Lords of Shadow games which currently bear the Castlevania name, do not carry on that tradition.  Like the Touhou series, I do not wish to include these titles within this PP and would need to adopt them were I to include Requiem.  As a side consolation, I have given it a special award (Indomitable Progenitor) and one which must be attained (along with the Metroid-inspired Proud Mother) for anyone seeking the Super Platinum ranking within the Hall of Fame.

I will be updating the Hall of Fame over the next couple of weeks, issuing badges in accordance with the criteria for the Fantasy Path and Sci-Fi Missions.  As I stated above, feel free to give feedback on your thoughts on the changes and constructive criticism is welcome.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kevvik said:

OK, the new games have been added to the PP and begun the amendments to the OP.  Additionally, Steamworld Dig 2 has been added to the game titles.

Please observe the new orientation of how your rank in the Hall of Fame is now determined with the Fantasy Path and Sci-Fi Missions delineation of games.  Also, for gold rank and above, side quests will become required in order to hold those ranks.

The split is to encourage easier progression through ranks on the Fantasy Path or Sci-Fi Missions.  I hope that this will encourage people to complete games while feeling a sense of progression rather than thinking "I need to do 5 games to get to the next level.  Well, maybe someday...".  I also believe that achieving multiple targets for the higher levels channels the Metroidvania spirit into the mix for the Hall of Fame.  You may feel differently and please feel free to provide constructive criticism as I tend to tune out outright bitching.

I have also incorporated both a Castlevania award and a Metroid themed trophy into the Super Platinum rank.  I think this speaks to the history of the genre and give it a little more shine.

To answer the coming questions about a few titles and their presence/absence:

Sundered is in the Sci-Fi Missions as I have always considered the Cosmic Horror genre to be closer to pulp sci-fi than fantasy.  This is why I put this title here.

Touhou Double Focus may yet get a special award but as inclusion of one title has historically within the PP tradition required the inclusion of a full series, I have left it out.  While Double Focus is clearly a solid Metroidvania, the rest of the games do not fall into the genre so it sits on the wayside.

Castlevania Requiem...I really wanted to put this in but discussion with my predecessor when I took the PP over and since still have us of the same opinion.  Despite the critical importance to the genre of Metroidvania of the early games, the Lords of Shadow games which currently bear the Castlevania name, do not carry on that tradition.  Like the Touhou series, I do not wish to include these titles within this PP and would need to adopt them were I to include Requiem.  As a side consolation, I have given it a special award (Indomitable Progenitor) and one which must be attained (along with the Metroid-inspired Proud Mother) for anyone seeking the Super Platinum ranking within the Hall of Fame.

I will be updating the Hall of Fame over the next couple of weeks, issuing badges in accordance with the criteria for the Fantasy Path and Sci-Fi Missions.  As I stated above, feel free to give feedback on your thoughts on the changes and constructive criticism is welcome.

I really like the solution you’ve come up with here! Participants have a consistent sense of progression and it ties into the Metroidvania theme of completing all sides very well. I’m feeling more motivated already!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:39 PM, diskdocx said:

A game that may be worth considering adding is Omega Strike. A pure metroidvania (and pretty fun to boot)

I'm not adding any more titles for a bit yet until the new system is established.  I'll keep it in mind for the future though.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:35 AM, BlazikieronUS said:

I've finished these now with the update

fantasy path:

guacamelee

guacamelee STCE

guacamelee 2

rogue legacy

sci fi path:

teslagrad

Updated.  I keep having to remind myself to use your banner ID rather than your forum profile's.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:55 PM, blu3st4rdust305 said:

Nice additions to the list.

Definitely will commit to climbing the ranks. Love me some diverse Metroidvania alternatives.

You've been added and updated to include The Mummy Demastered.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:41 AM, Squarevii87 said:

I have completed 7 games,add me please

Axiom verge

Dust an elysian tail

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Salt and Sanctuary

Shadow Complex Remastered

Teslagrad

Forma.8

Metroidvania Connoisseur

Added and updated.  You also had Rogue Legacy on your list and the special award for Castlevania Requiem.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:08 PM, BoNaa-FiDee said:

Sign me up please. Got the plats for Dust, Strider, and Teslagrad.

Added.

Welcome to all our new members! Let's keep going!

I have begun to work on converting everyone to the new ranking system but this is going to be a very long process as I go through each participant's page. I'm going to be updating in small chunks as we've had some brown-outs here and I'd hate to lose a lot of work.

If, as I am going through, I've missed a main path game or side mission, please let me know.  Overall ranks may raise or lower depending on which titles you had completed.  Also, for gold and above, please remember the requirement for at least 1 completed side mission.

Please be patient and thanks for gaming!

Edited by Kevvik
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK, everyone should be updated in respect to the new requirements. 

A number of people dropped ranks due to not meeting a new qualification for their previous ranks (a number of gold ranks dropped due to not having a side quest completed). Hopefully they can climb their way back up soon.

@Shadiochao is our first Proud Mother recipient for having all the side quests completed!  Congratulations!

So here's hoping we see people working their way back up the ranks again soon!  Thanks for the patience while I've updated this.

• Like 2