Thoughts on Prey

NaseemJohn

BioShock is a spiritual successor of System Shock, as is Prey. No idea why it's called Prey, because it has very little to do with the first Prey game. Arkane Studios has people who worked for Looking Glass and who worked on the first System Shock. That game was amazing, and to be honest, Prey is the sequel that I always wanted System Shock 2 to be. I guess I'm not a big Ken Levine fan.

Still, they're definitely not shooters, more first person action adventures. If that's not your pace, then the games aren't for you, sadly. ☹️

10 hours ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

BioShock is a spiritual successor of System Shock, as is Prey. No idea why it's called Prey, because it has very little to do with the first Prey game. Arkane Studios has people who worked for Looking Glass and who worked on the first System Shock. That game was amazing, and to be honest, Prey is the sequel that I always wanted System Shock 2 to be. I guess I'm not a big Ken Levine fan.

Still, they're definitely not shooters, more first person action adventures. If that's not your pace, then the games aren't for you, sadly. 2639.png

Yeah basically. I wouldn't really call it a shooter cause that wasn't the most appealing thing about it 

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Red_HoodXX said:

Always over a minute but never much worse than that.

The game is phenomenal and totally worth those load times though. 

Ok, that aint to bad then. Awesome.

• 4 months later...
On 5/4/2017 at 6:41 AM, DividedByMankind said:

I've had the game for a week now mate. And all i gota say is that the game is really good, coming from a fan of prey on pc back in 2007, also (i got a admit, that i was skeptical mate since it was a new developer on the game)arkane took the game to an whole other level which really surprised me how good the game is 1f44c.png my personal score is 9/10 !

Arkane's Prey is largely unrelated to the 2006 game Prey developed by Human Head Studios, and is considered a reimagining of the intellectual property set in a wholly new narrative. While Prey 2, a sequel to the 2006 game, had been planned by Human Head, it fell into development hell following transfer of the intellectual property from 3D Realms to Bethesda Softworks, and was eventually cancelled in 2014. Arkane's game does not use any of the planned sequel's assets, and only incorporates the previous game's name and the broad theme of the protagonist being hunted by aliens. Arkane built Prey as a spiritual sequel to System Shock, providing the player with several potential means of progressing within the game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting points. I played this game for a few hours but like many people here I found the combat such a let down that I wasn’t enjoying myself at all. However having read these glowing reviews I might give it another shot in the future, perhaps on easy difficulty. Thanks!

• 11 months later...

I posted in the self discrimination trophy thread.  I have a lot of thoughts on this.  I'd copy n paste but im on my ps4.   My opinion on a game that couldve been great great.  Theres a reason there was no prey hype like that of ds, or tew.  The game didn't bring it.  It had already been braught.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like this game a lot...except for the combat. I don't know how they dropped the ball so much on this. Thankfully, I found that the best stealth strategy is to launch objects (which requires investment in the skill trees, of course), or just to avoid enemies altogether (which sucks, because they seem to be able to look through walls and whatnot). 

The trophies do the game no favors; there was absolutely no reason to force players, e.g., to kill every human on the station, or to play through the game without ever unlocking any powers. I mean, that's like having a Prince of Persia game have a trophy for never rewinding, and we know nothing like that could ever happen.

But the atmosphere, the lore, the story - they're all really solid. Enemy designs are few, but excellent. I love researching enemies and reading all of the notes attached to them. I even love reading emails.

26 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I like this game a lot...except for the combat. I don't know how they dropped the ball so much on this. Thankfully, I found that the best stealth strategy is to launch objects (which requires investment in the skill trees, of course), or just to avoid enemies altogether (which sucks, because they seem to be able to look through walls and whatnot). 

The trophies do the game no favors; there was absolutely no reason to force players, e.g., to kill every human on the station, or to play through the game without ever unlocking any powers. I mean, that's like having a Prince of Persia game have a trophy for never rewinding, and we know nothing like that could ever happen.

But the atmosphere, the lore, the story - they're all really solid. Enemy designs are few, but excellent. I love researching enemies and reading all of the notes attached to them. I even love reading emails.

The combats not bad, but it can be hard if youre doing a no power playthrough.

As for killing all humans, there's not many to kill

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

You seem to know this game pretty well. Is the DLC worth a purchase?

Unfortunately I can't give an opinion on the dlc as I haven't played it yet. If you know someone with it, you could try share play to try it out?

Edit: I do own the dlc, so if you can't find someone, i'm willing to use share play, but my connection isn't great

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered this game and I am LOVING IT so far. I have played the intro levels of like every Immersive Sim (even system shock 2 on my pc) but I just never make it past the opening hours for some reason. Something about them usually doesn't hook me. This one though? Fuck me is it great. The enemies are what really elevate it in my eyes. No matter how powerful you are, each enemy type poses an interesting threat that forces you to be cautious and look for vulnerabilities. Level design is fantastic. I love opening a grate only to then realize "shit, I could have crawled underneath this room the entire time?! Awesome!"

I also love how it gives you multiple options towards tackling obstacles. I wanted to move some boxes out of the way but my strength skill wasn't high enough. Without knowing this would even work, I tossed a recycler grenade at the barricade and it fucking sucked them into it! Instantly turned them into molecules. That right there is when you know you're playing a brilliant RPG.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 5:43 PM, Sifferino said:

Interesting points. I played this game for a few hours but like many people here I found the combat such a let down that I wasn’t enjoying myself at all. However having read these glowing reviews I might give it another shot in the future, perhaps on easy difficulty. Thanks!

I finally got around to a re-play. The added "story" and "very easy" difficulty levels made all the difference for me: I didn't care much for the combat in my initial play, I am in this for the story and the mystery. So for my second attempt I opted for "story" and now I am really enjoying myself. I don't care about the trophies, I am just immersing myself in the game and it keeps surprising me with its story direction. I really enjoy the whole "figure out how you'd like to do it" thing. Here's a closed door that requires a key card. Find the key card, use your abilities to slip through a tiny hole, wait for one of those bot thingies to open the door for you, shoot or manipulate the door handle I can see on the inside, etc. And while I must admit I don't read everything in emails, notes and what have you (so some of the time I have no idea why I need to do something), I just... it clicks for me. I find it relaxing to spend an hour or two just wandering around and poking around.

Really happy I gave it another go.

Edited by Sifferino

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't like it very much, even though I loved the Dishonored games. The combat felt clunky and unbalanced (enemies were bullet sponges) so I just didn't enjoy myself with it. That being said the story is decent, and Talos 1 is a really sharp-looking environment. I can tell that it's a good game, but it's not my cup of tea. Also, the Platinum is not fun.

36 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

This game now sits around $10 in walmart. Debating on getting it, however it'd go to the backlog asap and seeing as its 12hrs(?), i may randomly beat it in a weekend. Whatever trophies i unlock is whatever. 

It was worth $60, it’s definitely worth $10. One of the most underrated games of the last generation. 

• Like 4