Hard time getting into witcher

I'm having a really hard time getting into the witcher 3. I like high fantasy a lot but there is something about this game that I am not enjoying. I have restarted twice and it still isn't sucking me in yet. That being said I really want to play it, any help or tips to help me to enjoy this game would be appreciated.

• Like 2

I dunno. It seems there is a section of people that this game doesn't appeal to and that is perfectly alright. I suggest you play until the Red Baron questline and particularly "The Ladies of the Wood" quest. You'll get those quests when you reach level 9. If you still feel like this game isn't for you then switch it off and forget about it.

It probably does help that you know the previous games beforehand. I know for me it was the combat system that made it hard to get into at first, but after getting used to it I liked it a lot and it made the bosses from both the main quests and the sidequests more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend playing on the easiest difficulty, so the combat (that can be very annoying for many, including me) and all gameplay side stuff (like alchemy, trading, gear finetuning) will not distract you from the cool story.

And if it's still not appealing after ten or so hours, well then perhaps it's just not thegame for you. It happens.

I agree with ObliviousSenpai, I also wasn't able to immerse myself fully until I reached Novigrad. There was something about the Red Baron questline that didn't sit right with me. Once I got to Novigrad and the tone of the story changed, I lost myself completely to the game. I replayed it several months later on Death March! difficulty, and by that time I loved every second of the Red Baron story as well. Probably because my feelings in regards to the overarching story and the world had changed.

If you don't know the story of the first two games, read a summary, play the games or read the books. You can also watch the movie from 2001 or wait until later this year for another Witcher movie. That might get you interested in the series. If the story's the problem, that's your best bet.

If it's gameplay, then it just might not be the game for you. Or maybe it is and you don't know it yet. If you struggle with the game, read some guides to learn how to play the game or lower the difficulty. That could help improve your experience.

If that doesn't work as well, either forget about the game or try again later. Chances are it's not your type of game or you're not in the mood for TW3 and would be better off playing it at a later date or moving on.

Can't say anything else, the game is still on my to do list and unplayed.

I have the same problem but it's mainly because the huge amount of time this game needs to be completed. I would love to sit with it and complete it already but when I start to play one game for good I will play until my 1st playtrough is completed and in Witcher 3 case, it can take up to a few weeks. Luckly I have a 4 months of holidays starting tomorrow so I will complete it finally!

• 2 months later...

I thought I was the only one with this problem. Nearly done with the Family Reunion quest and the game hasn't gotten better, but worse. Fallout 4 got a lot of criticism for doing little to advance RPGs - which is true - but The Witcher 3's been praised for making leaps when all I see is two-button combat, Grand Theft Horseback, Obligatory Craft System and a bunch of cleverly disguised fetch quests. Go here, ride there, talk to that person, kill that thing, find that goat. Geralt speaks and acts like a Dark Fantasy version of Solid Snake, and the Dark Fantasy itself I've already seen in Dragon Age, Game of Thrones, Dark Souls and a long, long list of other series. Obviously the game has its reasons for being so popular, but it's completely lost on me. Looks pretty and that's about it. 

That said, I'm not quite giving up on it yet. If it does manage to to win me over, I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm much the same on this one. I was really excited to get into it after reading all the high praise, but I cant say it has sat well with me either. Granted I'm not very far in, so I will pledge to give it a go and find out if I can grow to like it.

Like with anything, not everything is an instant hit. Some things are slow burners, and this applies to games as well. Once I can find the time after clearing out some of my backlog, i'll be giving this a really go. But I definitely feel the same vibe as you do OP.

On 8/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, TheArcadeKid said:

I thought I was the only one with this problem. Nearly done with the Family Reunion quest and the game hasn't gotten better, but worse. Fallout 4 got a lot of criticism for doing little to advance RPGs - which is true - but The Witcher 3's been praised for making leaps when all I see is two-button combat, Grand Theft Horseback, Obligatory Craft System and a bunch of cleverly disguised fetch quests. Go here, ride there, talk to that person, kill that thing, find that goat. Geralt speaks and acts like a Dark Fantasy version of Solid Snake, and the Dark Fantasy itself I've already seen in Dragon Age, Game of Thrones, Dark Souls and a long, long list of other series. Obviously the game has its reasons for being so popular, but it's completely lost on me. Looks pretty and that's about it. 

That said, I'm not quite giving up on it yet. If it does manage to to win me over, I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Oh, the combat in the Witcher games... one of the worst. The Witcher 2 combat system was atrocious and the 3 one didn't improve it much, even on the hardest dif you can mash two buttons through everything. Been there, done that more than once.

This series is about story and characters, especially if you read the books.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, Shawsberry93 said:

I'm having a really hard time getting into the witcher 3. I like high fantasy a lot but there is something about this game that I am not enjoying. I have restarted twice and it still isn't sucking me in yet. That being said I really want to play it, any help or tips to help me to enjoy this game would be appreciated.

It simply isn't as great as people make it out to be.  Good but definitely over rated.  I find Horizon Zero Dawn to be similar in that respect, a good game but also over rated.

I am glad, that I am not alone with this issue. I started The Witcher 3 at prolly the worst point in my life and told myself to complete the game in a given time range, which was nonsense.

I was completely overwhelmed by the games sheer size and things to do, that I did not feel to play it any longer. For example all the questions mark on the map .. I am the type of guy who clears off the map first and then proceed with the main quest, but you simply are not able to do that, because your level is not high enough for certain events. It is by no means a bad thing, but it confronts my typical gaming style. Or Item management... my inventory is bloated with so much crap and the confusing interface doesnt help much to sort it out. 

I prefer less is more in some instances. 

I'll just wait for the moment, when it makes click and I think to myself, that I want to play it finally. No matter how long the game will take. It does not run away, does it? 

btw. I completed The Witcher 2 twice for the 1000G back on my 360, so it is not the case, that I am not into the game and its story, I actually was really eager to play TW3 back then.

The patches made the inventory easier to handle for console gamers. 

There is a lot to handle because it’s a massive RPG with lots to do. Once you finish White Orchard the game really starts to shine. 

If you still cant get into it then Witcher 3 probably isn’t for you.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2018 at 3:07 PM, Salt_AU said:

It simply isn't as great as people make it out to be.  Good but definitely over rated.  I find Horizon Zero Dawn to be similar in that respect, a good game but also over rated.

I just gave up on the Witcher it’s not for me but I loved horizon zero dawn I realize it had its flaws but still a great game I respect your opinion though

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2017 at 3:05 AM, christhedog3 said:

I'm much the same on this one. I was really excited to get into it after reading all the high praise, but I cant say it has sat well with me either. Granted I'm not very far in, so I will pledge to give it a go and find out if I can grow to like it.

Like with anything, not everything is an instant hit. Some things are slow burners, and this applies to games as well. Once I can find the time after clearing out some of my backlog, i'll be giving this a really go. But I definitely feel the same vibe as you do OP.

Quoting myself as I've persisted and have to say it's a slow burner... loving the game currently. I don't think I'm quite getting why people rate it as highly as they do, but I am finding it a pretty good game. Gwent is addictive as heck and there are no/not many 'filler' missions... everything has some character investment. Great game, I'd recommend people persist with it. Do have to persist for a while but well worth it imo.

• 4 months later...

When I started playing it a couple years ago I had the same feeling, and stopped. Now recently I just started playing and am totally engrossed. No doubt overwhelming at first and there are some things it doesn’t do very well (combat and controls) but the exploration, narration, and quality/detail of every single quest is incredible. The characters/story/world reallly feel alive. However I can totally understand if this game isn’t your cup of tea

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I had the same experience but dude... once I got to a certain point I couldn't stop playing and it turned out to be the most immersive, interesting and captivating single player game I have ever played, never expected it to be so great also the DLC could be a standalone game and now you can get it in a good price so I highly recommend

PS. Sorry for my bed Englash.

Edited by neomango

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't even finish the first main quest. I fell asleep 3 times in the first 2 hours, not even joking. Main character acts like he has a brain damage, clunky controls and combat made me almost throw up. 'Witcher's sense' mechanic looks like you're having an in-game seizure. Everything is so boring and uninteresting that it's not even worth trying to finish the game.

Edited by Amonares

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest? Its most likely not for you or share the journey with someone.

That's why Twitch streaming is very popular.

At release i had no clue what the The Witcher 3 was about, i only remember seeing The Witcher 2 on the shelf at game stores and wanting to play it but i had no computer at the time lol. I had just finished putting in 200+ into the recently released Bloodborne at the time and thought ooo TW3 is out on PS4 the next month ahead. I started it and i got hooked,

I think the key things that helped me get into it was i played it with a friend in a party chat, we both started the game at the same time and we would just discuss what we discovered throughout our playthroughs - we would update each other like when we leveled up or when we find awesome gear or discovered a new enemy but without spoiling it we'd just mention it. We did the same with Bloodborne.

Started the game on Deathmarch

Zeroed out playing any other game

Find the balance on completing Side Missions and the Main Story

Don't read every note, book unless it interests you

Try playing/completing a Souls game beforehand lol

Share the journey if need be

I think the thing everyone gets tricked on is its hype and expectation - reason why i'm worried Cyberpunk is going to get backlash since everyone's expectations are sky high at the moment.