[2017-2018] Monthly Madness

5 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Very good! :P I take it your excited for Assassin's Creed then :D I've added your nomination to the OP.

Yay!

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

No. I'm vetoing you.  :P

Feel free to come up with a theme where that could qualify or see if an older one fits, though!

Booh, censorship!

Edited by BillyHorrible
Site messes up and triple posts
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

It's not censorship if you're breaking rules that've been there for ages.  :awesome:

Can't say I'd mind AC Origins counting in November, though. Looks so good...

No rules in the OP that I'm breaking with this theme suggestion...

If my counting is correct, then by November there's no less than nineteen trophy lists that can count for this theme, in quite a few different genres.

Plus, the wording is so silly that it's just golden.

No harm in putting it in the poll, is there? If people don't want it, it won't win. If there's ANYTHING we've learned in 2016, it's that sticking to the popular vote is generally speaking a good idea.

I'll use Thimbleweed Park for October by the way, unless the new South Park has something in it that makes it count (I'll let you all know). Thimbleweed Park definitely counts, it's an X-Files / Twin Peaks parody that starts with a corpse and adds spoiler-related theme-acceptable stuff as it goes on.

Edited by BillyHorrible

1 hour ago, SyIaris said:

To be fair, it seems like there's usually an unenjoyable path or two. Thank you very much, I'll keep an eye out for it on sale.

I think unenjoyable comes in different packaging though. 

There's unenjoyable that just plain poorly written and this usually runs from the beginning of the story. Unimaginative and boring.

There's unenjoyable where the ending feels cheap after a good work up as if they wrote themselves into a corner and they just got lazy and made crap up to close it out. (My take on some of the endings in Root Letter.)

Then there's unenjoyable where they go gonzo and just amp up the creep factor to tasteless with a bizarre twist while trying to justify a character's behaviour and, even worse, allowing the protagonist to validate the character's behaviour as somehow being understandable or even remotely acceptable (see 'the cage' in Amnesia - heck, this creepy would probably qualify for October's theme).

I will agree that a sale would be the best option. Again, I didn't find the 3 endings I refer to as unenjoyable as much but extremely disappointing given the strong build up before the final branch.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

No rules in the OP that I'm breaking with this theme suggestion...

If my counting is correct, then by November there's no less than nineteen trophy lists that can count for this theme, in quite a few different genres.

Plus, the wording is so silly that it's just golden.

No harm in putting it in the poll, is there? If people don't want it, it won't win. If there's ANYTHING we've learned in 2016, it's that sticking to the popular vote is generally speaking a good idea.

It's there, but it's in with the theme stuff instead of the regular rules. Pretty sure it's been around at least since the first batch, if not the beginning. The example's even a bigger franchise.  *shrug*

Spoiler

Themes should...

• Have a large selection of games
    Example: If you wanted to suggest "Zelda games" as a theme, you would have to change that to "Nintendo games" instead because a single franchise doesn't have enough games to be a full blown theme.

Assassin's Creed alone just seems way too limiting. The missed Past theme or Ubisoft games or something would be better, just because it lets people pick from so many more instead of forcing them into a series they may not care for. (out of curiosity, are there more than the usual games and the sidescrolling platformer trilogy, genre-wise?)

No offense intended; I'll go with it if it's popular or Abbey feels strongly, but I really disagree with this one. It's still in the OP, just struck out - easy fix if it comes to it.

...Zelda's a weird example when it's right next to the "has to also be on a Sony system" rule.

Also, I'm sorry for the earlier comments. Between the rule and the wording, I honestly thought you were joking.  :(

50 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

I think unenjoyable comes in different packaging though. 

There's unenjoyable that just plain poorly written and this usually runs from the beginning of the story. Unimaginative and boring.

There's unenjoyable where the ending feels cheap after a good work up as if they wrote themselves into a corner and they just got lazy and made crap up to close it out. (My take on some of the endings in Root Letter.)

Then there's unenjoyable where they go gonzo and just amp up the creep factor to tasteless with a bizarre twist while trying to justify a character's behaviour and, even worse, allowing the protagonist to validate the character's behaviour as somehow being understandable or even remotely acceptable (see 'the cage' in Amnesia - heck, this creepy would probably qualify for October's theme).

I will agree that a sale would be the best option. Again, I didn't find the 3 endings I refer to as unenjoyable as much but extremely disappointing given the strong build up before the final branch.

Very true, there's a lot of ways a VN can disappoint. On top of those, sometimes the art is just... weird. Not many of those, thankfully.

Can't speak for all VNs, but it seems like every otome game has to have one awful path that I would personally consider super creepy.

But some of the endings are redeemable? Not so bad if skipping is an option.

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SyIaris said:

It's there, but it's in with the theme stuff instead of the regular rules. Pretty sure it's been around at least since the first batch, if not the beginning. The example's even a bigger franchise.  *shrug*

Reveal hidden contents

Themes should...

• Have a large selection of games
    Example: If you wanted to suggest "Zelda games" as a theme, you would have to change that to "Nintendo games" instead because a single franchise doesn't have enough games to be a full blown theme.

Assassin's Creed alone just seems way too limiting. The missed Past theme or Ubisoft games or something would be better, just because it lets people pick from so many more instead of forcing them into a series they may not care for. (out of curiosity, are there more than the usual games and the sidescrolling platformer trilogy, genre-wise?)

No offense intended; I'll go with it if it's popular or Abbey feels strongly, but I really disagree with this one. It's still in the OP, just struck out - easy fix if it comes to it.

17 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Hey, I said I would. Not fair to make you do it all the time!  :)

RE0 isn't one short, though? RE is

Your a star! :D 

In RE0, Rebecca is 18 so yeah it would be that one I think. Whereas in RE, Jill is in her 20's I think and so is Chris as well.

As for Assassin's Creed, I thought it was a silly/joking suggestion but I thought I'd add it in anyway. But I didn't know there was a rule about it at the top of the OP so I'm sorry about that. :( You can take it out if you like or leave it in, I'll leave it up to you as I don't mind either way. 

On 10/1/2017 at 9:07 PM, BillyHorrible said:

I was joking. Doesn't mean I'm not committed to the bit :)

On 10/2/2017 at 6:33 AM, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Your a star! :D 

In RE0, Rebecca is 18 so yeah it would be that one I think. Whereas in RE, Jill is in her 20's I think and so is Chris as well.

As for Assassin's Creed, I thought it was a silly/joking suggestion but I thought I'd add it in anyway. But I didn't know there was a rule about it at the top of the OP so I'm sorry about that. :( You can take it out if you like or leave it in, I'll leave it up to you as I don't mind either way. 

Eh, I'm too tired to argue it any more than I already have. Guess it can stay.  :dunno:

To be fair, I moved those rules up (and generally tidied up that section) the other day so they'd be a bit more visible. They were under the "old suggestions" spoiler before.

Sorry for the slow reply, I was a vegetable for a few days.

100%'d the Walking Dead S2 to get on the board. Interesting how easy it was to keep the screen in the corner of my eye and do something else for most of the game...

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Eh, I'm too tired to argue it any more than I already have. Guess it can stay.  :dunno:

To be fair, I moved those rules up (and generally tidied up that section) the other day so they'd be a bit more visible. They were under the "old suggestions" spoiler before.

Look at it this way: if people don't like it, it will never win in the poll. I'm guessing I'll be the only one silly/AC-fanboyie enough to vote for it.

Sorry for the slow reply, I was a vegetable for a few days.

I know not many people will get this joke, but I have to.

... I was a vegetable too, a few weeks ago.

Spoiler

PICKLE RIIIIIIIICK!!!

100%'d the Walking Dead S2 to get on the board. Interesting how easy it was to keep the screen in the corner of my eye and do something else for most of the game...

Oh right, I should play something for October. Really hoping that either South Park has some scary stuff, or that I'll finish Thimbleweed Park before getting distracted by other stuff.

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I'm guessing that finishing Thimbleweed Park on the Switch is a :silver:, lookingup the PS4 trophies afterwards and doing said requirements is a :gold:?

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

Update: I've completed several games, but basically none of them fit this month's theme, excepting one that I don't know if it is eligible... I'm talking about Coffin Dodgers -  where your main opponent is the Grim Reaper; while this game progress, the old people that was finishing on last positions are transformed into zombies, and starting from stage 2 (this game have four stages with 3 races each, plus a final showdown race), zombies start to appear on track; and you can also run over them. An addiction to that, the fourth stage is called "The Cemetery".

Actually, I don't think this game is eligible (even Cemetery stage is not creepy enough...), but considering I do not have any game that is eligible for this month (at least I don't have any game I WANT TO PLAY that is eligible...), I will ask for specific actions depending on the elegibility of Coffin Dodgers:

If Coffin Dodgers would be considered eligible: grant me a Platinum Grade for this game, plus Golden Stars in "Because of this event" and "Hardcore" challenges (this game was started in October 2nd, would be my "unique creepy game", and it is a racing game).

If Coffin Dodgers would NOT be considered eligible: since I do not have eligible games, I would spent a skip this month - **EDIT: I was not aware about some rules about skip when I've writing this (thanks Hemiak for remembering me) - the following content was changed** and get October's Platinum Grade (in case of this situaiton, please use Valentino Rossi The Game's Platinum icon as October's icon).

Edited by JoaoQuique

1 hour ago, JoaoQuique said:

Update: I've completed several games, but basically none of them fit this month's theme, excepting one that I don't know if it is eligible... I'm talking about Coffin Dodgers -  where your main opponent is the Grim Reaper; while this game progress, the old people that was finishing on last positions are transformed into zombies, and starting from stage 2 (this game have four stages with 3 races each, plus a final showdown race), zombies start to appear on track; and you can also run over them. An addiction to that, the fourth stage is called "The Cemetery".

Actually, I don't think this game is eligible (even Cemetery stage is not creepy enough...), but considering I do not have any game that is eligible for this month (at least I don't have any game I WANT TO PLAY that is eligible...), I will ask for specific actions depending on the elegibility of Coffin Dodgers:

If Coffin Dodgers would be considered eligible: grant me a Platinum Grade for this game, plus Golden Stars in "Because of this event" and "Hardcore" challenges (this game was started in October 2nd, would be my "unique creepy game", and it is a racing game).

If Coffin Dodgers would NOT be considered eligible: since I do not have eligible games, I would spent a skip this month - as I've completed a lot of games besides Coffin Dodgers, they would grant me a lot of Platinum and Golden stars this month, but (obviously) no Challenge Starts would be achieved. In this case, here's my list:

• Valentino Rossi The Game (Platinum Grade and October's icon);
  • Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man (Platinum Star);
  • Coffin Dodgers (Platinum Star);
  • Rugby 15 (Platinum Star);
  • Rugby World Cup 2015 (Platinum Star);
  • Punchline (Platinum Star);
  • Baseball Riot (Golden Star);
  • Type:Rider (Golden Star).

Um, I'm pretty sure you only get the extra stars for games that also fit the theme. If that's not the case I need to go back and request a ton of additional stars. 

Also, I see you have ps+. Amnesia is on there and I hear it's pretty quick and easy with a guide. Not Hardcore since it's obviously a horror game, but it'll save your skip. 

4 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Um, I'm pretty sure you only get the extra stars for games that also fit the theme. If that's not the case I need to go back and request a ton of additional stars. 

Also, I see you have ps+. Amnesia is on there and I hear it's pretty quick and easy with a guide. Not Hardcore since it's obviously a horror game, but it'll save your skip. 

Yeah, you're right (I had not seen about this). Thanks for notifying me.

However, actually, I HATE horror games/anything, so I prefer to use a skip (if Coffin Dodgers would be considered non-eligible)...

I just :platinum: for the October Theme, the main protagonist is also a child but IDK if I can still apply for September, however i really like the game in spite of having tons of collectable trophies, I haven't play it with a friend but I'm sure is hell of fun, also play Co-Op allows you to improve you gameplay in ways that are not possible if you play alone, take for example some enemies that have some sort of shields, you can only destroy their shield with an action that only player 2 can do, wich is great cuz is not the same experience as playing alone, very recommended for those who would like to give it a try :awesome:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2110-puppeteer/Uchiha_Snake__ 

On 06/10/2017 at 1:07 PM, JoaoQuique said:

If Coffin Dodgers would NOT be considered eligible: since I do not have eligible games, I would spent a skip this month - **EDIT: I was not aware about some rules about skip when I've writing this (thanks Hemiak for remembering me) - the following content was changed** and get October's Platinum Grade (in case of this situaiton, please use Valentino Rossi The Game's Platinum icon as October's icon).

Hey, sorry for the late reply, my grandads been asking me to do his decorating for a while so that's what I've been doing for the past three days haha. In regards to Coffin Dodgers, I've counted it for October's theme based on the fact that you don't have anything else and also I'd consider it fitting what with the Grim Reaper you've mentioned :). I've updated your stats and congrats on finishing all of those games!

15 hours ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I just :platinum: for the October Theme, the main protagonist is also a child but IDK if I can still apply for September, however i really like the game in spite of having tons of collectable trophies, I haven't play it with a friend but I'm sure is hell of fun, also play Co-Op allows you to improve you gameplay in ways that are not possible if you play alone, take for example some enemies that have some sort of shields, you can only destroy their shield with an action that only player 2 can do, wich is great cuz is not the same experience as playing alone, very recommended for those who would like to give it a try :awesome:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2110-puppeteer/Uchiha_Snake__ 

Hey! Congrats on your first platinum of the event! Here's to many more! :P I've updated your stats in the OP but I wouldn't be able to let it count for September due to the fact that we are a week in and the deadline for September has gone but if @SyIaris disagrees, then I'll change it for you. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it and you make it sound like a very good game :).

13 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

Would you consider The Wolfe Among Us as creepy?

I'm planning to play this game after finishing Costume Quest 2.

Yes, I would consider The Wolf Among Us a creepy game and if you haven't played it before, then your in for a treat!

On 05/10/2017 at 7:17 PM, BillyHorrible said:

I'm guessing that finishing Thimbleweed Park on the Switch is a :silver:, lookingup the PS4 trophies afterwards and doing said requirements is a :gold:?

Sorry I missed this when I was looking through the thread. Yes, that would get you a Gold trophy for this month. Have you finished Thimbleweed Park and does it need updating? :) 

I just plat The Wolf Among Us  https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2184-the-wolf-among-us/Uchiha_Snake__ thought Idk if i can count it for this event since I have already played the first chapter looooong ago, it's just I'm not a fan of Telltale Games, this one got my attention time ago so I decided to play for this October ?

Still I'm been playing some other "Spooky" games during the month, I'll be asking what of those I can add, so for now what you guys think about DmC Devil May Cry and BloodRayne: Betrayal ??

Edited by Uchiha_Snake__
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Yes, I would consider The Wolf Among Us a creepy game and if you haven't played it before, then your in for a treat!

It's again a game I played on the 360. I need to reduce my double dipped games. I have so many games I already played on the 360.

But as I said sometime ago this event is great to play these games again. Otherwise the would be unplayed much longer.

2 hours ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I just plat The Wolf Among Us  https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2184-the-wolf-among-us/Uchiha_Snake__ thought Idk if i can count it for this event since I have already played the first chapter looooong ago, it's just I'm not a fan of Telltale Games, this one got my attention time ago so I decided to play for this October 1f62c.png

Still I'm been playing some other "Spooky" games during the month, I'll be asking what of those I can add, so for now what you guys think about DmC Devil May Cry and BloodRayne: Betrayal 1f914.png1f914.png

It's no problem to play games you have already started befor the month. I played Broken Age for last month, which I started about 2 years ago.

I would count DmC but I don't know anything about BloodRayne.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RizzleAbbey12 said:

Sorry I missed this when I was looking through the thread. Yes, that would get you a Gold trophy for this month. Have you finished Thimbleweed Park and does it need updating? :) 

Not yet, just asking in advance :)

At some hard parts now and I'm busy with Axiom Verge and Golf Story too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I just plat The Wolf Among Us  https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2184-the-wolf-among-us/Uchiha_Snake__ thought Idk if i can count it for this event since I have already played the first chapter looooong ago, it's just I'm not a fan of Telltale Games, this one got my attention time ago so I decided to play for this October 1f62c.png

Still I'm been playing some other "Spooky" games during the month, I'll be asking what of those I can add, so for now what you guys think about DmC Devil May Cry and BloodRayne: Betrayal 1f914.png1f914.png

Congrats on platting The Wolf Among Us! :P As Markus says, you can play games that you started years and years ago in this event as the event is all about helping your purge your backlog in a fun and engaging way. I've updated your stats. I would say that both game would count because even though I would say that they are horror games, I would also say that they are creepy so just bare in mind that they may not count for the hardcore challenge.

@MarkusT1992, well I hope you still have loads of fun with it the second time around! :D 

@BillyHorrible, okay have fun with the rest of it! :) 

I finished Costume Quest 2 today.

It was a nice game and it got better towards the end.

Only a :gold: trophy for this month so far but I wanted to play this game already.

It's also a hardcore star for not being a horror game.

You can use this picture as long as I work on my :platinum: rating

14Se3d624.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I finished Costume Quest 2 today.

It was a nice game and it got better towards the end.

Only a :gold: trophy for this month so far but I wanted to play this game already.

It's also a hardcore star for not being a horror game.

You can use this picture as long as I work on my :platinum: rating

14Se3d624.png

Well done on finishing Costume Quest 2! :). I've updated your stats for you! That's quite a fitting picture for this theme :P.

I accidentally beat a game that fits the theme of the month, A Hat in Time. The Subcon Forest area is beyond creepy, and one of the missions legit scared me (you have to hide from this demon/ghost chick that transforms people in crystal). Unfortunately, it was on Steam. But if I don't do anything else, that at least nets me a Silver for the month, so w00!

Dunno how it works for non-PSN games, so here's a link to my Steam profile as proof. http://steamcommunity.com/id/exhaseo/

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I played through Thimbleweed Park, cool game. In the end, not super creepy butI feel like it has enough undertones in there to count.

Checked the trophies and there's some stuff in there I'm definitely not going to do, so mark me for a :silver: for now please.

17S1cabab.png

Now let's see next week if South Park has enough creepy stuff to count as well...

On 10/10/2017 at 10:41 PM, BillyHorrible said:

@RizzleAbbey12 @SyIaris

I played through Thimbleweed Park, cool game. In the end, not super creepy butI feel like it has enough undertones in there to count.

Checked the trophies and there's some stuff in there I'm definitely not going to do, so mark me for a :silver: for now please.

17S1cabab.png

Now let's see next week if South Park has enough creepy stuff to count as well...

Well Done on finishing Thimbleweed Park! I've updated your stats for you and added the picture you gave me. What did you reckon to it? 

So I'll also update since I haven't updated you all in a while;

I've gotten Resident Evil 0 ready to platinum on Halloween and I will, hopefully, be able to say the same about Alien: Isolation this weekend so fingers crossed! :P I'm also aiming for the 4 games completed in a month challenge as well if I can complete Kona or Prey in the next couple of weeks. I'll update you all when I've got something to update you with :).

Oh before I forget (again :o) here's my suggestion for next month;

Games that inspire you.

This could be games that feature a certain art style that inspires you to take up drawing, a certain type of setting that inspires you to visit somewhere or it could be a certain character that inspires you as you admire them/idolise them. These are all examples though as this theme would give you the freedom to come up with creative ways that the game inspires you and also tell us why it inspires you.

Examples: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Child of Light, TellTale games, Uncharted, Persona, Valliant Hearts etc.

Hardcore Requirement: Games that feature Heroes which must inspire you. - Subject to Change though as I'll have a think to see if it's right for this - Let me know what you think! :) 

• Like 1