PlayStation 5 rumored release date 2019/2020

Cuddlez227

Hello fellow gamers. 

I hope this is the right forum for this. 

I've just found an article with release date rumors of the PlayStation 5 and it might be as soon as 2019/2020. 

EDIT: Here is another source where another analyst Damien Thong claims the new PS5 could even look at a release in 2018. Thong had been right about other Sony related releases in the past.

Source

The PlayStation 4 hasn't been out all that long, the games still have a lot of capacity left that they could get out of the console. 

So what do you guys think about the live cycles of the consoles becoming shorter? Might Sony and Microsoft for that matter force their console gamers to upgrade the hardware more frequently? 

Microsoft is already planning on making the new Xbox their last gen console and make players replace components themselves like for PC. 

Edited by Cuddlez227

9 minutes ago, Cuddlez227 said:

The PlayStation 4 hasn't been out all that long, the games still have a lot of capacity left that they could get out of the console. 

So what do you guys think about the live cycles of the consoles becoming shorter? Might Sony and Microsoft for that matter force their console gamers to upgrade the hardware more frequently? 

Microsoft is already planning on making the new Xbox their last gen console and make players replace components themselves like for PC. 

PS3 was 7 before PS4 rolled out.

By the time PS5 does, big if, it'll be 6-7 years old.

I'd say perfect timing. 

Edited by ERICVOLTAGE
  • Like 1

So this is just what some "analyst" is predicting then. It's not based on any solid information. My bullshit senses are tingling... :P

Well, 2019 sounds too soon to me. I figured Sony were going to have to get a more powerful console in response to the Xbox One X, but by the sounds of it, it isn't even that much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, and it certainly isn't a generational leap above the original Xbox One, so I don't think Sony have anything to worry about in that regard. I think 2020 definitely sounds like a strong possibility though, and I'm certain it will be out before the end of 2021.

Also, this guy seems to think the PS5 is going to be another "half step". That makes me doubt anything he says since Mark Cerny himself stated that they still believe in console generations and made it clear the PS4 Pro wasn't a next gen machine. Going off this, I fully expect the PS5 to be a generational leap over PS4.

38 minutes ago, Cuddlez227 said:

I don't think they are becoming shorter. If anything, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are there to extend the console generation. Maybe this generation of consoles won't be quite as long as the PS3/Xbox 360 generation, but that was the odd one out. Console generations before that were usually shorter. And no, I don't think Sony or Microsoft are going to start forcing consumers to upgrade their hardware more frequently. We already know that there aren't going to be any PS4 Pro exclusive games and I expect the same to be true of Xbox One X too. Well, for a while anyway.

43 minutes ago, Cuddlez227 said:

You have a source for this or is it just more rumours? I don't remember Microsoft ever saying that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Maybe this generation of consoles won't be quite as long as the PS3/Xbox 360 generation, but that was the odd one out

???

1st: 8 years

2nd: 16 years

3rd: 10 years

4th: 17 years

5th: 12 years

6th: 15 years

7th: 12 years

8th: 5 years so far

Yes, there's overlap here, but if we remove the overlap:

1st: 4 years

2nd: 7 years

3rd: 4 years

4th: 6 years

5th: 5 years

6th: 7 years

7th: 7 years

8th: 5 years so far

16 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So this is just what some "analyst" is predicting then. It's not based on any solid information. My bullshit senses are tingling... :P

If it were said by an official Sony employee, it wouldn't be a rumor it would be a fact ;)

17 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Also, this guy seems to think the PS5 is going to be another "half step". That makes me doubt anything he says since Mark Cerny himself stated that they still believe in console generations and made it clear the PS4 Pro wasn't a next gen machine. Going off this, I fully expect the PS5 to be a generational leap over PS4.

Well, the guy said the PS4 Pro was a half step and the PS5 will be another half step. That would make it a new generation, but it also doesn't give much hope that the console will feel as such and will only be slightly better than the 4 Pro giving gamers less reason to actually upgrade to the the console.

19 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

You have a source for this or is it just more rumours? I don't remember Microsoft ever saying that.

I do actually have a source for that here. It was a little difficult to find now because it's been a while since I had seen it in the news. They want to make the Xbox to be able to play all games from the original Xbox all the way to the Xbox one and don't want to make a new generation. Since games do need more and more hardware capacity to run on a system and since they don't want to release a new generation, replacing components would be one of the few ways you are able to play the newer games. Just think seeing an Xbox One game in the store and buying it because you have an XBO and then coming home to realize your console is lacking the right GPU porcessor to play it. There will have to be something in the future for Xbox games to indicate what specs it needs to run the games. Maybe not in November when the Xbox X is released, but when the next generation cycle would be released after that.

I personally am not a big fan of yet another generation from Sony. One that would mean even more remasters to high prices and two it will likely mean yet another system without backwards compatibility.

Here's quote from the article that I'm referring to:

On the end of console generations

"The future of Xbox looks a lot like PC gaming." That's what Engadget editor Nathan Ingraham wrote after speaking with Phil Spencer earlier this year. Spencer spoke about wanting to see a steady stream of hardware innovation rather than seven-year gaps between consoles, citing the smartphone market as inspiration. Greenberg went one step further. In his opinion, this is the last console generation. "We think the future is without console generations," he said, explaining that Project Scorpio was a "big bet" that gamers will embrace that notion.

2 minutes ago, Cuddlez227 said:

If it were said by an official Sony employee, it wouldn't be a rumor it would be a fact ;)

Buuuut, it's not an official Sony employee though, is it? :P I mean if it was, he could kiss his job goodbye. :giggle:

3 minutes ago, Cuddlez227 said:

Well, the guy said the PS4 Pro was a half step and the PS5 will be another half step. That would make it a new generation, but it also doesn't give much hope that the console will feel as such and will only be slightly better than the 4 Pro giving gamers less reason to actually upgrade to the the console.

I mean yeah, two "half step" consoles would equal a full step, but it doesn't really work like that in reality. :P If they released a PS5 which was only a little more powerful than the PS4 Pro is, it still wouldn't be a generational leap. It would look more like an Xbox One X which as we know isn't Microsoft's next gen console.

9 minutes ago, Cuddlez227 said:

I do actually have a source for that here. It was a little difficult to find now because it's been a while since I had seen it in the news. They want to make the Xbox to be able to play all games from the original Xbox all the way to the Xbox one and don't want to make a new generation. Since games do need more and more hardware capacity to run on a system and since they don't want to release a new generation, replacing components would be one of the few ways you are able to play the newer games. Just think seeing an Xbox One game in the store and buying it because you have an XBO and then coming home to realize your console is lacking the right GPU porcessor to play it. There will have to be something in the future for Xbox games to indicate what specs it needs to run the games. Maybe not in November when the Xbox X is released, but when the next generation cycle would be released after that.

I personally am not a big fan of yet another generation from Sony. One that would mean even more remasters to high prices and two it will likely mean yet another system without backwards compatibility.

Here's quote from the article that I'm referring to:

On the end of console generations

"The future of Xbox looks a lot like PC gaming." That's what Engadget editor Nathan Ingraham wrote after speaking with Phil Spencer earlier this year. Spencer spoke about wanting to see a steady stream of hardware innovation rather than seven-year gaps between consoles, citing the smartphone market as inspiration. Greenberg went one step further. In his opinion, this is the last console generation. "We think the future is without console generations," he said, explaining that Project Scorpio was a "big bet" that gamers will embrace that notion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see him actually saying that they are going to make an Xbox with replaceable parts. He talks about having shorter gaps between hardware upgrades which sounds to me like they want to keep releasing half step consoles like the Xbox One X. So we'd see a new console every 3 years or 4 years instead of every 7 or 8 years, but they wouldn't be major upgrades.

Considering Microsoft's push for backwards compatibility this generation, I'm expecting that the PS5 will be able to play PS4 games at the very least. I mean I understand why playing PS3 games on the PS4 wasn't possible, but considering how these consoles use x86 architecture now, it should be fairy straightforward to make them backwards compatible now. It wouldn't look very good on Sony if Microsoft's console(s) had backwards compatibility and Sony's one didn't.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Buuuut, it's not an official Sony employee though, is it? :P I mean if it was, he could kiss his job goodbye. :giggle:

I agree with you on both. Still my point stands, I've posted about a rumor and titled it properly. Nowhere do I say "attention this is a fact and has been confirmed by the Sony CEO himself". The point of rumors and leaks are to create a buzz around something for publicity or in this case I wanted to hear other people's opinions about the next possible console release date.

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I mean yeah, two "half step" consoles would equal a full step, but it doesn't really work like that in reality. :P If they released a PS5 which was only a little more powerful than the PS4 Pro is, it still wouldn't be a generational leap. It would look more like an Xbox One X which as we know isn't Microsoft's next gen console.

This is something I agree with as well. Adding a new number after the console (PS to PS2, PS2 to PS3, etc) used to indicate a new era and generation. With the PS Pro and Xbox S and then X maybe we are moving away from the new generation thing totally and just make half steps in order to give more money to Sony and Microsoft.

7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see him actually saying that they are going to make an Xbox with replaceable parts. He talks about having shorter gaps between hardware upgrades which sounds to me like they want to keep releasing half step consoles like the Xbox One X. So we'd see a new console every 3 years or 4 years instead of every 7 or 8 years, but they wouldn't be major upgrades.

Considering Microsoft's push for backwards compatibility this generation, I'm expecting that the PS5 will be able to play PS4 games at the very least. I mean I understand why playing PS3 games on the PS4 wasn't possible, but considering how these consoles use x86 architecture now, it should be fairy straightforward to make them backwards compatible now. It wouldn't look very good on Sony if Microsoft's console(s) had backwards compatibility and Sony's one didn't.

No he didn't say it in this article. As I said, there aren't that many possibilities to making the concept they are talking about work. One of the possibilites would be to have the gamers upgrade the hardware aspects themselves like on a PC. One possibility would be to keep releasing consoles like the One S and One X that are slightly better than the previous version. In the long run, that would just make the Xbox another PC because you wouldn't just look at a game, see the Xbox One thing at the top of the gaming case and know you need the One to play it. You would have to see what specs the game will need of what console to get the most out of it like it is with PC games.

I love when these things pop up, just like how Michael Pachter is always right and not just throwing random shit at the wall in an attempt to maintain relevance. 

Anywhore, I hope the PS4 comes out soon, I do, I know it won't be out before 2020 in any likelihood, but I hope it comes out sooner than that. I hope it beats Xbox to the punch and just does a PS5 miracle box that just plays every PS generation game straight out of the box. Or they do an NES Classic type thing, but for PS1/2 and it gets easily unlocked to have a billion roms put into it. In short, I hope the PS5 can play my god damn PS2 games, if it did, it could come out tomorrow and rip the 500 right out of my panties. 

• Like 1

i'm really not in the mode for ps5, let us enjoy the ps4 for now and maybe after three or four years from now the ps5 is OK to be a thing.

went on some stupid stuff and decisions to just to get the standard ps4 with no games, yeah it was worth it at the end, but seriously! if they made and release the ps5 this early it will be considered a mid gen console and people will gonna call it ps4 pro.2 or something.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Anywhore, I hope the PS4 comes out soon, I do, I know it won't be out before 2020 in any likelihood, but I hope it comes out sooner than that. I hope it beats Xbox to the punch and just does a PS5 miracle box that just plays every PS generation game straight out of the box. Or they do an NES Classic type thing, but for PS1/2 and it gets easily unlocked to have a billion roms put into it. In short, I hope the PS5 can play my god damn PS2 games, if it did, it could come out tomorrow and rip the 500 right out of my panties. 

THIS^

The only downsides the PlayStations have had so far in my opinion is the lack of backwards compatability and the inability to change usernames. I would love to play the older PS2 games even without it having trophies or being a prettier looking remaster. There are loads of classic games there that don't need any polishing up!

There is a very interesting video digital foundry made a while ago about the possibility of a PS5 coming out in 2018 and while it wasn't about the PS5 coming out in 2019 or 2020 I still found the contents of the video interesting (sadly I can't post it since I'm on my IPad and posting YouTube links is kind of a pain). The jest of it is while Sony could release a PS5 in 2018 or even 2019 the end result would be another 500 dollar box which Microsoft has shown us isn't an ideal price point based on the backlash of the Xbox One X price point. The main point here is that technology isn't advancing fast enough and as a result the price of components are holding their price longer. According to AMD's roadmap we aren't going to see the technology that will be the foundation of the next generation consoles until 2019. I'm probably explaining this poorly but as a result of everything I just described this generation will likely last as long as last gen did. Don't expect the PS5 until at least 2020 at the latest and frankly even then it wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait longer. This is a major reason why Microsoft are probably done with console generations as a whole, and frankly I would really like it if Sony does something similar to what Microsoft is doing. I'm sick of buying a new box every 6 to 7 years and feel like all the games I bought from the previous system don't carry over. Sure it will be easier to implement backwards compatibility in the future since everything will be on X86, but for me at least the biggest feature I want from the next generation of systems is backwards compatibility.

• Like 2

I believe it is too early to release a PS5. Sony has mentioned that there will be more PlayStations but it doesn't make sense to release a new console anytime soon. I would give it a least 3 years. The way I see it is that it will be announced in 2020 and released in 2021. why 2021? well, 2+0+2+1 = 5 so PS5 ?. 

They have to add new features and improve many things in order to let people move from PS4 to PS5 as there are still many people moving from PS3 to PS4.

PS4 came out in 2013. 2018 makes sense given that we're now in the era of PC gaming; but we probably won't see the ps5 until 2019. 

By the end of 2018, the scorpio should be around $300 and that's apparently with true 4K gaming, not up-scaled bullshit. So I don't see Sony holding off that long before they release a true 4K 60fps console. 

On PC, 4k gaming is becoming more and more accessible as time goes on and Sony cannot allow themselves to fall that far behind PC's with a 2020 release.  

So it's only a matter of time before Sony releases something that can contend with the scorpio and PC.