The 13 Plats of Halloween

2 hours ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Mark another one down for me. Just completed the first SAW game. As a big fan of the movie series, wow that game was kinda shitty. The atmosphere started great and then they make you do the same three types puzzles over and over and over. Gonna have to play something else before moving to SAW 2.

Lol. That's too bad, but grats on another one down! I just finished Claire. I'm laying in bed now. I'll update everyone's trophies sometime tomorrow. 

Friday update, woo woo! We got ourselves new two games (both complete!) this week: Dead Synchronicity and Resident Evil. I cannot recommend the former, even for pundits of point-and-clicks. Way too depressing. RE is great, but I don't know if I'd recommend it for this event, just due to the sheer number of playthroughs required for the platinum. I usually cap my limit for those at three.

With the end of September coming up tomorrow, I'm proud to say I've met my goal of completing six and a half games at the halfway point. Arkham Knight is still a thorn in my side, but I managed to complete the Batgirl DLC, which leaves just a few oddball trophies and the community challenge events to go. Still not sure if 100% is possible.

1. The Escapists: The Walking Dead (23/25)
  2. Metro: Last Light Redux (48/50)
  3. South Park: The Stick of Truth (49/51)
  4. Batman: Arkham Knight (97/110)
  5. The Deadly Tower of Monsters (22/24)
  6. Dead Synchronicity (23/25)
  7. Resident Evil (43/45)

What's next for me? Well, Resident Evil Revelations is lurking on the horizon. I already bought Claire during the last sale, so I'll get to that soon, and I know I'll be ending this event with the Batman Telltale game. That leaves three unknown games waiting in the wings. I know The Evil Within wants a piece of me, but I don't know how many pieces I have left to give, and I'm still unsure about the October PS4 releases. Let's keep pushing forward, but I expect whatever I play to be amazing.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Friday update, woo woo! We got ourselves new two games (both complete!) this week: Dead Synchronicity and Resident Evil. I cannot recommend the former, even for pundits of point-and-clicks. Way too depressing. 

Having let a couple weeks pass since I finished it, I have to say that it felt like a very well constructed and designed experience. The developers certainly put thought and care into the story. But at the end, I just felt dirty and depressed. 

I also would not recommend it to anyone, simply due to the subject matter and scenes. I guess the silver lining for anyone who plays thru it, is that the trophy names are all classic film titles.

• Like 1

You're cruising right along @Cassylvania! Since you are planning on Claire, I'll give a bit of advice. I ended up needing a third playthrough which could have easily been avoided. Where I went wrong in Claire was in the Normal mode playthrough. I was hoarding health items and it really wasn't necessary. This led to me dying a couple of times. Later on, I was using those items at full health just to make room in my inventory to pick up something new. I probably wouldn't have died at all if I would've just healed instead of pressing my luck. When I died, I just went straight to advancing the story instead of re-exploring. So if you get hurt, just heal up; and if you die, backtrack for items instead of just plowing through the story.

Initially, I thought it was no big deal that I missed the item trophy and I'll get it on the second playthrough on Nightmare difficulty. However, there is a game mechanic in that mode that made it very frustrating to go and explore. In that difficulty, being panicked drains your life. Claire will get panicked by just simply being in a dark room and your flashlight burns through batteries ridiculously fast in that mode. The lighter helps you see, but it doesn't seem to have an effect on her panic level like the flashlight. So I was constantly just flopping over dead in hallways and using items faster than I was picking them up. I was replaying the same section over and over to memorize the perfect path where I could get all the items and make it to the next save point. I think it's possible to do it all in one playthrough on Nightmare, but it probably would take 20ish hours of trial and error gameplay. Going through the entire thing on Normal takes about 2-3 hours. I gave up on getting the item trophy about halfway through the Nightmare playthrough and decided it wasn't worth the effort. 

Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, xMissFantasy said:

@Toogie53 lol thanks. I followed a guide though and saved a lot to make sure I didn't miss anything. I did miss one trophy but I had saved just before that part. Didn't find it frustrating but that's probably because I played Lone Survivor so I was more aware of how that type of game was. 

My only frustrations with Claire were self-inflicted. Mostly it was due to trying to do the item trophy on Nightmare mode. As a "gamer", I want to experience the game. I try to do an initial playthrough without a guide, unless I am very stuck, as I really enjoy seeing stories unfold and solving puzzles myself. As a "trophy hunter" I approach games like a challenge or a job to do and use every resource I can to make things easier. Guides, beneficial glitches, etc. My initial "gamer" playthrough frustrates me later because I end up feeling inefficient. I'm still fairly new at trophy-hunting (started a few months ago) so I need to find a way to marry my two play styles.

Edited by Toogie53

Thanks for the advice, @Toogie53! I'll keep that in mind. And in regard to how you play games, I'm the same way. I've been trophy-hunting for years (I think I began in 2011, but this is a new account), and I still prefer a blind first playthrough for most games. If I know there are missable trophies, I do a little investigation before I begin the game. Generally, I want to know (a) at what point in the game is the missable trophy, and (b) can I get it in a future playthrough? If I know the game requires multiple playthroughs, I will generally ignore the rest of the guide for the time being. Otherwise, I'll copy the missable trophies into a Word document and highlight key words to let me know what to look out for. For example, if there's a trophy for talking to a pink penguin wearing a baseball cap, I'll highlight "pink penguin wearing a baseball cap" or "only appears on your first trip to Unicorn Island." This doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the game, but it does provide me with a nice little checklist that I can keep next to me while I play.

Of course, missable collectibles are always a problem. I generally save these for a second playthrough, unless I know the game is really long (e.g. Skyrim) or if I'll have other things to be worried about in subsequent playthroughs (such as speedrunning the game). If there's chapter select, I'll almost always avoid using a guide on my initial playthrough.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Thanks for the advice, @Toogie53! I'll keep that in mind. And in regard to how you play games, I'm the same way. I've been trophy-hunting for years (I think I began in 2011, but this is a new account), and I still prefer a blind first playthrough for most games. If I know there are missable trophies, I do a little investigation before I begin the game. Generally, I want to know (a) at what point in the game is the missable trophy, and (b) can I get it in a future playthrough? If I know the game requires multiple playthroughs, I will generally ignore the rest of the guide for the time being. Otherwise, I'll copy the missable trophies into a Word document and highlight key words to let me know what to look out for. For example, if there's a trophy for talking to a pink penguin wearing a baseball cap, I'll highlight "pink penguin wearing a baseball cap" or "only appears on your first trip to Unicorn Island." This doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the game, but it does provide me with a nice little checklist that I can keep next to me while I play.

Of course, missable collectibles are always a problem. I generally save these for a second playthrough, unless I know the game is really long (e.g. Skyrim) or if I'll have other things to be worried about in subsequent playthroughs (such as speedrunning the game). If there's chapter select, I'll almost always avoid using a guide on my initial playthrough.

That's exactly how I do it ? but I don't make word docs, I memorize most of the misseable trophy descriptions ? I keep my tablet close if I need to remember something tho...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

If I know there are missable trophies, I do a little investigation before I begin the game. Generally, I want to know (a) at what point in the game is the missable trophy, and (b) can I get it in a future playthrough? If I know the game requires multiple playthroughs, I will generally ignore the rest of the guide for the time being. Otherwise, I'll copy the missable trophies into a Word document and highlight key words to let me know what to look out for. For example, if there's a trophy for talking to a pink penguin wearing a baseball cap, I'll highlight "pink penguin wearing a baseball cap" or "only appears on your first trip to Unicorn Island." This doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the game, but it does provide me with a nice little checklist that I can keep next to me while I play.

Snap! :D I'm coming up with a new system though for mine as I was spending wayyy to much time on my iPad and that kind of felt like I wasn't getting enough game time. So what I'm now planning on doing is creating a little page in a notebook for the games I'm playing and coming up with my own Platinum Roadmap so to speak. These can differ from the trophy guides as, with Resident Evil, I was following the guide but I just ended up making my own pathway based on what I felt I could do in each playthrough which felt nice to do! :PPlus I love drawing so it's a perfect solution for me and also I can just plan out everything before I start and I can tick them off as I go. 

Friday Update for me as well! :P 

I'm about halfway through my Hard mode playthrough on Resident Evil 0 and it's going a lot better than my first Normal playthrough, oh the irony! Rebecca seems to be a lot more useful in this and we seem to be plodding along nicely. I've got my run set up for my speedrun as well as I have completed the Leech Hunter mode with an A rank which wasn't bad once I got a good guide. So yeah, if my hard playthrough goes well and I manage to finish it, I will definitely be able to get the platinum for it and it shouldn't take me long to get set up either.

My stats are the same as my last update, but I will need to replace The Escapists 2 with Prey (I got it today! :D) as I don't think I'll be able to get a month of PS+ in order for me to be able to do the online trophies in The Escapists 2. But never mind as I really want to start Prey and this event is a perfect reason to not put it on my bookshelf and never see it again haha :D 

Edited by RizzleAbbey12
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

That's exactly how I do it 1f602.png but I don't make word docs, I memorize most of the misseable trophy descriptions 1f601.png I keep my tablet close if I need to remember something tho...

I'm actually worse than I make it sound. :P I make entire Excel spreadsheets for some games. Not necessarily for trophy reasons, but just to help me keep track of stuff. For example, I created a detailed journal for all of my soldiers in XCOM 2 (including their names, what country they were from, the special skills they had learned, and even the color scheme I used for their armor). In Dark Souls, I planned out my entire character beforehand, including what pieces of armor I wanted and how many points I was going to put into each skill.

It all depends on the game, though. If I know there's nothing major to be concerned about, I might just scribble down notes on a piece of paper. For Crash 3, I wrote the numbers 1 through 30 on a sticky note and I'm just crossing them out as I complete each level. For other games, I might print out a list of collectibles or maps for certain levels. This is, of course, in addition to bookmarking guides and wiki pages on my laptop.

In general, I'll spend 5-10 minutes before each game getting this stuff ready, as I know it'll make the journey to platinum much easier.

Also, there's no greater feeling than getting to scribble all over the damn level that's been giving you fits for hours.

1 minute ago, Toogie53 said:

This is really interesting. Does anyone else have specific strategies for trophy hunting? I need to develop one. 

I don't know if you need to develop one, what I do know is that it is best to be consistent.

I find myself too often trying different ways of getting through my backlog and games in general. At the moment I've made a list of all the games I own and those I need to get trophies in and made a list for me to cross off when I get through them.

Currently I have 741 games purchased digitally (excluding physical copies) which amounts to over 16,000 trophies to be earned. Looking at it that way, it seems excessive...

My strategy at the moment is to complete the quickest games and intersperse them with longer ones to stop burning out.

24 minutes ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I don't know if you need to develop one, what I do know is that it is best to be consistent.

I find myself too often trying different ways of getting through my backlog and games in general. At the moment I've made a list of all the games I own and those I need to get trophies in and made a list for me to cross off when I get through them.

Currently I have 741 games purchased digitally (excluding physical copies) which amounts to over 16,000 trophies to be earned. Looking at it that way, it seems excessive...

My strategy at the moment is to complete the quickest games and intersperse them with longer ones to stop burning out.

You seem to be advising more on the macro level like how you approach trophy hunting as a whole. I was thinking more like, how do you approach an individual game by itself. I have a big backlog but yours is massive! I've probably got around 300, a bunch of those are already on my profile that were just there from before I worried about trophies. I've tried to make a method for approaching my list of games as well. I found all sorts of different ways to rank them and decide which game should be next. I've considered metacritic-type ratings, genre, difficulty, length, if it's already on my profile, etc. However, I find that even if I scientifically break it down and identify the perfect game for me to play next, it still really depends on my mood. Currently, my own spreadsheet has been telling me to play Ratchet & Clank next since July. But, I just haven't felt like playing it. So In August I decided that was a dumb way to choose. I started getting excited about doing an event like this so my focus went towards Halloween games. After this event wraps up, I'm not sure what's next on the horizon or how I will decide what to play. Do I clean up my completion rate on my profile? Do I focus on the AAA games that I've accumulated, etc. What will probably happen is the same thing I do with Netflix where I spend just as much time scrolling through the library as I do actaully watching the content.

Edited by Toogie53
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toogie53 said:

You seem to be advising more on the macro level like how you approach trophy hunting as a whole. I was thinking more like, how do you approach an individual game by itself. I have a big backlog but yours is massive! I've probably got around 300, a bunch of those are already on my profile that were just there from before I worried about trophies. I've tried to make a method for approaching my list of games as well. I found all sorts of different ways to rank them and decide which game should be next. I've considered metacritic-type ratings, genre, difficulty, length, if it's already on my profile, etc. However, I find that even if I scientifically break it down and identify the perfect game for me to play next, it still really depends on my mood. Currently, my own spreadsheet has been telling me to play Ratchet & Clank next since July. But, I just haven't felt like playing it. So In August I decided that was a dumb way to choose. I started getting excited about doing an event like this so my focus went towards Halloween games. After this event wraps up, I'm not sure what's next on the horizon or how I will decide what to play. Do I clean up my completion rate on my profile? Do I focus on the AAA games that I've accumulated, etc. What will probably happen is the same thing I do with Netflix where I spend just as much time scrolling through the library as I do actaully watching the content.

I just like playing whatever game I'm in the mood for. As a general rule of thumb, though, I like having one "main" game and no more than two backlog games on my list at any time. So, for example, I might be playing a lengthy RPG, but I'll also have a couple more games that I'm just chipping away at. I won't start a new game until the RPG is finished or I've knocked off one of those backlog games. I'm not extremely strict about this, but if I notice I have several games below 100% on my list, I'll work on those instead of starting something else. That keeps me focused and prevents me from falling too far behind.

That said, you shouldn't force yourself to play games for any reason. I've had a friend bugging me to play Chrono Trigger for months, but I just haven't been in the mood for it. It's not that I think it's a bad game (so far, I've liked it a lot), but feeling like I have to play it because somebody is telling me to ruins the game for me. Similarly, I've avoided games that are supposed to be good just because I don't feel like dealing with the trophies. If I look at a guide and see that the platinum requires some extraordinary amount of skill (e.g. Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer) or time (e.g. most RPGs), or if I'm forced to play multiplayer for any period of time (e.g. most first and third-person shooters), I'll probably move onto something else. It's not that I think the game sucks, but my backlog is big enough that I don't need to deal with that headache.

To me, the ideal game is one that requires one playthrough, is mildly difficult without being overly challenging, has no missable trophies, and doesn't require a guide to beat. I'd like it to not have collectibles, but that's apparently too much to ask from most developers.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

To me, the ideal game is one that requires one playthrough, is mildly difficult without being overly challenging, has no missable trophies, and doesn't require a guide to beat. I'd like it to not have collectibles, but that's apparently too much to ask from most developers.

I like this although I believe collectibles add something to open world games as long as it feels connected to the world.

@Toogie53 I feel like I have leas affinity with most games now and haven't found something I enjoy, trophy hunting is harder because of that. Thus, I have no specific way of trophy hunting, although I wish I had Cassys mental fortitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I like this although I believe collectibles add something to open world games as long as it feels connected to the world.

@Toogie53 I feel like I have leas affinity with most games now and haven't found something I enjoy, trophy hunting is harder because of that. Thus, I have no specific way of trophy hunting, although I wish I had Cassys mental fortitude.

Yeah, there are good and bad kinds of collectibles. I'm kinda sick of them now because most of the time they're just random objects that add nothing to the gameplay. Instead, you have to stop playing the game for a few minutes to search every drawer or box in the room for a notepad or data file or electric toothbrush or whatever random object the developers thought was necessary to put into the game. Alternatively, you can use a collectibles guide, but that still requires you to stop playing the game for a short time while you figure out where to look. Really, it's just not that fun for me anymore. In the past, collectibles could increase the replay value of games or give players an added goal beyond just completing the main campaign, but that's what trophies are for.

For games that require collectibles, I usually just put up a YouTube walkthrough, pop in a movie, and slog my way through it on a separate playthrough. I don't feel that adds any to the gameplay, but it's the only way I've found to make collectibles enjoyable. Some games, like Saints Row 4, at least allow you to see all of the collectibles on the mini-maps. Other games, like Crash Bandicoot, have collectibles that are tied to in-game challenges. I'm okay with these. I'm even kinda okay with Uncharted's collectibles, if only because the theme of the game is treasure hunting, but I really don't think they're necessary in most first or third-person shooters. I'd rather see trophies that are tied into the gameplay.

Just my two cents anyway!

I was having a conversation with a friend at work about good/bad collectibles. I think what's important to me in a game that has collectibles is not what they are but that they give me a chapter select and way to track what's missing. If I can finish a game and then go back and and work on the chapter that has 7 of 9, I'm quite happy with it. Uncharted does this well. TLOU doesn't seem to; which is interesting to me since they are both put out by Naughty Dog in the same time period. 

Edited by Toogie53

5 hours ago, Toogie53 said:

In a post before you said that not playing the original Mass Effect trilogy was one of your gaming sins, and the same with other games, if you have any of those on your backlog I say you should pick one and play it, because you will not only get trophies, but enjoy the game as well, you should apply this to all th AAA games on your backlog, if you feel like the game is not getting interesting for you, or you are not enjoiying it as planned, play one of those not AAA games you have that get you courious about, also if it is an easy plat is a bonus, i think is not only about the trophies, is about enjoy  the games as well, and not getting frustrated lol

My main focus is to try and get as much as I can from a game: Some on my list are for grouping with friends, so only get played with them; others I was curious about.

I have a small backlog compared to some!! I am using this event to push myself to play a little more, upping myself from a chain of a trophy a day. The Evil Within kind of hampered that, but with the smaller point-and-click adventures that I loved (yes. I loved Dead Sychonicity!) I made some plats.

My overall strategy though is to have an ever-increasing completion rate, so if I find I don't like a game so much, or don't have time, that puts focus on others, and means that I often 'treat' myself to starting a new game in my backlog once I reach something approaching a milestone. 

I've only really been trophy hunting since January though and usually switch between the 3 and the 4, but with the Halloween event I've mainly been on the 4.

I have been M.I.A and I wanted to give an update on how I am doing towards the event. I finished Minecraft Story Mode and was deeply impressed on how well of a job it was. Telltale really made you care about the characters of the world and kept me engage to see how the next episode would turn out. I loved the main character Jesse. There was something about him that I felt really humbled with how he was. (This the character Spence from King of Queens.) It was a young man trying to dream big and he carried you on with adventure along with his cute pig. The DLC for the game was worth the extra money because each episode (3 total) gave you an extra adventure. Overall, if you like Telltale games and Minecraft then you can't go wrong with Story Mode. 

I've been playing a lot of MP on The Last of Us Remastered. Im about week 9 day 3 so almost done with that. Im 1/3 done with story mode on grounded difficult.

I started Goosebumps the game and what a bunch of garage. I didn't expect much from the game but its really bad. This is coming from a Goosebump fanboy. I was going to do a blind playthrough but Im very happy Im following a guide. Ill see how that goes. 

1. Minecraft Story Mode:platinum: 100%

2. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2  :platinum:

3. Until Dawn

4. Batman Arkham Knight

5. Mad Max

6. Zombie Driver HD

7. The Last of Us Remastered

8. Dying Reborn

9. The Evil Within

10. Darksiders

11. MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies

12. How to Survive 2

13. Goosebumbs 

Been playing shit load of rocket league. That game is super addicting. If any one else on here plays shoot me a FR. 

Little update:

Got the plat in Nightmares from the Deep. If you haven't played this game then I highly recommend it. It is a mixture of horror and Pirates of the Caribbean. I had a LOT of fun playing this game. My next game will probably be Eventide. Not sure if this is a horror/scary game. Will let you know.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, redcar200 said:

I started Goosebumps the game and what a bunch of garage. I didn't expect much from the game but its really bad. This is coming from a Goosebump fanboy. I was going to do a blind playthrough but Im very happy Im following a guide. Ill see how that goes. 

I hope you are using the walkthrough on this website ;)

Guess I have to give a little update to... I complete my 2nd playtrouhgt Oddworld Munch's Oddysee and get nothing from it ? I played as the bad dude (wich is "Bas Quarma" in the game) but I couldn't reach the ammount of Quarma require for the trophy by the end of the game, also the game is shorter if you play as a "Demonic Gambit" (is the name of the trophy)  so apparently you can't get the I Regrow Nothing trophy unless you play it as a good boy (an "Angelic Gambit") wich is complete bullshit, at least the trophy description should say something (even if it is hidden)... I won't make another playtrought just yet, I want to play some other stuff to at least have fun ?

So I started Puppeter this weekend, I really like it, already finish the main story and now I'm goin for the collectables (there are a lot of them and also very well hidden) and the others trophies, althought, there are some sections on the game that make me ask "How an I suppose to do that?" (mostly because there are some collectables you can pick easier if you play with a partner), it was a really enjoyable experience, it's now my favorite game from Japan Studios

That said, good luck everyone, keep the good hunt! :yay:

Hey! Here's my update. My plan this week is to start The Evil Within and complete The Last of Us. 

• Until Dawn - Platinum Obtained!
  • The Last of Us – Finished playthrough for collectibles. I started playthrough on Survivor difficulty. I still have loads of the multiplayer to do.
  • The Evil Within – Installed and ready to begin. 
  • Lone Survivor – Not started.
  • Night Trap – Not started.