ANOTHER Short Plat List?!?!?!

9 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

It looks like they are even marketing it towards trophy hunters, if their Twitter is anything to go by.

There's another term for people who buy this type of games for the plat, and it's not trophy hunter.

But just like DLC and Microtransactions before it, it works, so as companies they'd be stupid to pass it up. They want to make money after all. The more the better, and if the general consumer buys into it, the older generation becomes the minority and will just have to deal with it. Most devs/companies aren't concerned about loyalty as compared to loads of moneys.

I'm not too bothered by it, I like the idea of climbing on the leaderboards (mainly my country's), but I'm not getting these games. And the people who do generally are way below me on the leaderboards anyway (or so far on top, it's going to be ages before I come even close, and these quick lists won't help that much). I tend to vote with my wallet (even if it's just a €1 game) but like I said above, I'm part of the minority so it won't phase them that much.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Looks like the developers were inspired by 1000 Top Rated, My Name is Mayo and Nubla.

I'm starting to realize why a lot of old trophy hunters from 2008 - 2010 are complaining about "easy" games like this one.

The thing is Nubla actually had a meaning where as 1000 Top Rated was just for trophies. This looks the same as Top Rated, but actually shittier. 

56 minutes ago, Skeptical69 said:

Even if this game were to cost me about 1.95AUD (that's if it releases outside of North America, which I think it will) I would not get it because of the game it is. Pretty much everything about this game in my opinion is lackluster and I cannot picture anybody buying this game for a reason other than getting it for the trophies.

The trailers for energy cycle and Nubla must've really turned you on m8, there's no way you just played those for the trophies. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlindMango said:

2008: "Hey, I got a platinum trophy!" - - "Oh wow, that's tough, what game did you get it in?"

2017: "Hey, I got a platinum trophy!" - - "Ah, probably in My Name is Mayo or something silly? I heard for no reason that game has two repeat lists too!"

Please stop with the slow devaluation of the platinum trophy Sony.

Yeah, My Name is Mayo totally makes Super Meat Boy easy. Oh wait.

It's on a case by case basis. Hannah Montana. This is not new at all. And this is why you should earn trophies because YOU enjoy it, not because it strokes your epeen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Skirra said:

People complain about short lists all the time but not about the 600 Japanese visual novels that take 30 minutes to platinum as well.

Trophy hunters from 2008 that get mad over these lists? Stick to your hard game - apparently you just want quality/hard trophies. Thats fine. 

Quantity trophy hunters? Get the game, its another number. If not because you feel scared the people here will start nagging about having it in your list - buy another steins gate. 

Let people do what people want. In the end we all go for trophies, but how you do it and what you play is individual. 

Visual novels shouldn't be skipped, even if they are in Japanese. I always have google translate on hand for those situations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr_Skirra said:

People complain about short lists all the time but not about the 600 japanese visual novels that take 30 minutes to platinum as well.

Trophy hunters from 2008 that get mad over these lists? Stick to your hard game - apparently you just want quality/hard trophies. Thats fine. 

Quantity trophy hunters? Get the game, its another number. If not because you feel scared the people here will start nagging about having it in your list - buy another steins gate. 

Let people do what people want. In the end we all go for trophies, but how you do it and what you play is individual. 

I agree. If you don't like this, don't play it. I didn't play Mayo and never will. Do I wish plats were left to games with more content? Sure, but that has long been tossed in the trash. There are no real standards anymore for what gets one and what doesn't. Acceptance people.

I'd play VN for the sake of playing them btw. I've yet to get around to any of them but have a few. Took me nearly 4 years to do The Walking Dead which is not much different from a VN really. Clearly not in it for the trophies alone if it takes me that long to get something so easy :P

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Hey me too! 190 atm.

5 minutes ago, RVMcypress_grave said:

I think he was referring to games that don't have platinums but congrats on being near a cool milestone.

This is true. I was talking about non-platinum 100%s. :P And I actually hit 189 non-platinum 100%s, but some I got like 3 base game 100%s where I miss the DLC trophies, so I like to count it as like 192 or something. :) And yes, this is looking away from games with platinum.

Edited by MMDE

5 hours ago, charlijaen said:

This is ridiculous!!

A game about babysitting butter has 11 gold trophies + plat 1f61f.png

-The Terminator Salvation thing was ok because you can consider it an actual game. But this one?! Come on 1f621.png

-Far Cry Blood Dragon has 19 bronzes and no plat :/

-If Sonic mania had more golds and silvers; tbey could have included a Plat.

-Costume Quest 1 & 2 could have had plat if all trophies were gold, but those games are small and I understand the lack of a plat.

Some developers use trophies to sell the game for those people who do the Mayo & top rated style of games. While other developers just include trophies because it is mandatory and don't care about it.

To me, this is a failure on the part of the devs now, not Sony. As I understand it, every game can have a plat if the devs want it.

So something like Sonic, which had enough trophies, is purely due to laziness or disdain for trophies in general. That's on them.

I fail to see how having a platinum would in any way hurt your sales, so if they consciously choose not to add a platinum list, any impact on sales is their own fault.

Personally, I would prefer that every game had a plat. It would at least take away the pointless threads about what does and what doesn't deserve a plat.

Bottom line is however you draw the line, be it price or content or physical/digital - there will always be an argument that something should or should not have qualified. It is always going to be arbitrary.

24 minutes ago, MMDE said:

This is true. I was talking about non-platinum 100%s. :P And I actually hit 189 non-platinum 100%s, but some I got like 3 base game 100%s where I miss the DLC trophies, so I like to count it as like 192 or something. :) And yes, this is looking away from games with platinum.

I'm too lazy to count that~

39 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

To me, this is a failure on the part of the devs now, not Sony. As I understand it, every game can have a plat if the devs want it.

So something like Sonic, which had enough trophies, is purely due to laziness or disdain for trophies in general. That's on them.

I fail to see how having a platinum would in any way hurt your sales, so if they consciously choose not to add a platinum list, any impact on sales is their own fault.

Personally, I would prefer that every game had a plat. It would at least take away the pointless threads about what does and what doesn't deserve a plat.

Bottom line is however you draw the line, be it price or content or physical/digital - there will always be an argument that something should or should not have qualified. It is always going to be arbitrary.

Apparently some people haven't heard or deduced yet, but yes, you're correct. For quite awhile now, it has been up to the developers whether or not their game has a platinum trophy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091754&page=1

Really, this thread is, as Shakespeare would say, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". Every kind of Platinum trophy has its place, depending on what kind of experience you're looking for. Would I normally play a game like this? No. Would I be lying if I was said that I have never played a game because it had an easy trophy list? Yes. Honestly, I like short, easy Platinum trophies as a way to cleanse my palate between longer/tougher games. For example, I played 1000 Top Rated right after I finished Taiko No Tatsujin V (which took me a few weeks to complete) as a way to reset before I played Tekken 7 for a month straight.

Does everybody need these palate cleansers? Absolutely not. I appreciate these short, fun, Plats all the same, though. They're also handy for Plat races with friends if you're just going for a higher number of Platinums versus difficult Platinums...especially if you can get them for $0.99.

PS - I'm pretty sure that if this game came out on Playstation Plus, a good number of people in this thread would have its Platinum, but would still be insisting "I only Platted this game because it was free on PS+, but it still sucks lol". In the end, it's just a small, easily skippable game, guys and gals. Chill. 

• Like 2