PS4 Announcement - Thoughts

Bullstomp

Seems a lot of people are complaining about it not being backwards compatible. Gaikai is gonna stream ps3, ps2, ps1 games to the ps4, at least eventually, as long as you can just enter a code or something to not have to pay for the games we already have I don't get why you're all complaining.

Thought the new Infamous looked awesome!

Edited by jcshaun

Not sure why it's good in the long run grimydawg - basically means I will not buy ps4 until a Gran Turismo is launched (although I'll admit I'm a tight person, well I won't invest when not happy with my bang/buck) as PS3 games will be 50% cheaper than PS4 games and there is a huge catalogue :)

Because it means less money people have to pay to get one. I clearly explained it in an earlier post.

Because it means less money people have to pay to get one. I clearly explained it in an earlier post.

True. Its simple economics.

A lower priced console results in a greater number of early adopters and a fast growing install base. More consoles sold means more games sold for new console which is where you start to recoup your losses on hardware.

More games sold means more dlc and micro transactions in game, this is were you make your profits.

If the console isnt backward compatible more PS4 games get sold early - but its going to need a killer app at launch. None of the PS3 launch titles was better than OK (Motorstorm & Resistance)

KZ does not have the history as a killer app, but GTA5 might if the PS4 version is sensationally hot - afterall GTA3 is what truly started the ball rolling for the titan that the PS2 became.

• Like 1

Technically, the only truly backward-compatible Sony system was the the PS2. The PSP has it to a degree. For the first-gen PS3 (60 GB model), you had have an install, so you could play your PS2 games in the first place. The PS3 was expensive to make in the first place with the production costs of making the system, which is why it cost $500 or $600 (US) in the first place. Sony still lost money, even with the price that high. I understand that most consoles initially lose money at first, but the PS3 really suffered for years. It wasn't until maybe '08 or '09 that Sony got its act together. I understand that it was the lack of games was a cause of it suffering as well, but the price was the real killer. You remove some pieces, the production cost to make the system goes down, which in return will sell for a cheaper price. You noticed when Sony removed the PS2 backwards compatibility and other pieces that the cost to buy one literally halved compared to the initially launch date? I understand that people still want to play their PS3 games. Perhaps I shouldn't have said what's the big deal about it because people simply don't know. I hope I explained this well enough.

It was said that the system isn't backwards compatible, not that you couldn't play PS3 games on your PS4. I'm guessing this is what this Cloud service is for.

Yes, exactly......Sony never said the PS4 would not play PS3 games, it just would not play PS3 discs. This is not greed, just a way to keep costs down so it is easier for us the consumer to buy the new console. Just keep your PS3 if you want BC. Also the plans they have for the PS1, PS2, and PS3 catalog excite me for sure.

Sorry missed your post Grimydawg, I'd half agree on the whole retrocompatibility/price thing, although things aren't as simple as that ;)

I get the not going back to ps3 games etc. and I'm not saying I will not get the PS4 because of the lack of compatibility, but it does mean that I'll wait a year or so before getting it (unless someone buys it for me of course :P)

My PS3 is not on my main tv, allowing me more time to play, so I was hoping to relegate the ps3 to media player and the ps4 as main gaming rig - it'll happen, but much later then hoped

Free or not, streaming games is not a real option - wait until you get an internet drop - you'll see what happens ;)

As I expected, an announcement of an announcement. No real detail throughout, and from what I'm seeing, I suspect my console days will bow out at the end of the PS3's cycle and I'll return to PC gaming.

As for the social media/sharing side of things, I don't want a "facebook" console and I suspect all the next gen consoles will have some aspect of this.

I'm in the same boat, I will most definitely be making the jump over to PC gaming once I scrape enough cash together to buy a new gaming rig, all that social bollocks put me right off. I understand the PS3 was somewhat lacking in terms of social connectivity, but Sony seem to have gone into complete overdrive to beat Microsoft in that area, when in reality the only feature people really wanted was cross game chat.

"That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?" - Pvt. Hudson

Seriously, I can't stand this bullshit PR garbage Sony is pulling off with an announcement for what? Fucking nothing. I don't know what to say - I'm just baffled at how drivel the line up of games are (aside from The Witness, The Witcher 3, and Watch Dogs), the controller with shit for gimmicks, no backwards compatibility?! I don't even know anymore, I don't.

It's game over.

Im not impressed. All they did at the conference was just show some cutscenes and a little bit of gameplay. The social features are awful. Like mentioned before, the only social feature thats needed is messaging and multiplayer. Not this facebook crap. The controller looks ok, but nothing amazing. The graphics on the PS4 games do look nice, but its something the PS3 can do. Its only slightly improved so theres no wow factor for me.Im happy enough with PS3, the future for gaming isnt looking too bright at the moment.

I honestly do not see the reason to get this Day 1. The best games will come out 2-3 after the PS4 has been released. Normally, getting it Day 1 will most likely screw you over. Sony need to do better than this, or else Xbox will continue selling more than Playstation. They are in serious trouble if this is what the PS4 will be like, Xbox will probably keep the lead over Playstation for a while since they arent doing well with PS4. The reason they announced it early is that they can get more PS4s sold than Xboxs. Sony claimed that Xbox 360 sold more because it was out for longer than PS3. The way Sony are going now, Microsoft will keep the lead.

With ya Simpo, but with Sony you have always been able to switch that sort of shite off. With Microsoft you cant ever shake it loose.

The only problem I find with social stuff is that now I am going to have to go and make friends with people and my life wont be worth squat unless I am befriended by thousands of people that I will never know.......

With this in mind I must go to the introduce myself pages and start whoring my profile :D

• Like 2

Yoshida confirmed that the PlayStation 4 is usable offline. "Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

Link here : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection