Kill Your Completion V

14 days and 9 games left to go...

I am not picking up my Star Wars Battlefront II pre-order. Too much negative shit in the game, and while I do not care about the multiplayer, I definitely do care about a rushed and disappointing story campaign that's over in just four hours on the normal difficulty. There's "short but sweet" and there's "way too short". It really pains me how horrible the game section of Star Wars is going since EA got the monopoly.

Seeing as I'm not getting Battlefront II, I think I will spend this weekend playing a few shorter games, as well as trying to get more done in Assassin's Creed Origins as it shames me to say that I still haven't played through the game even though I love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cubone said:

14 days and 9 games left to go...

I am not picking up my Star Wars Battlefront II pre-order. Too much negative shit in the game, and while I do not care about the multiplayer, I definitely do care about a rushed and disappointing story campaign that's over in just four hours on the normal difficulty. There's "short but sweet" and there's "way too short". It really pains me how horrible the game section of Star Wars is going since EA got the monopoly.

Seeing as I'm not getting Battlefront II, I think I will spend this weekend playing a few shorter games, as well as trying to get more done in Assassin's Creed Origins as it shames me to say that I still haven't played through the game even though I love it.

There's also the "short and shit" option, which this seems to fall into (according to many that have gone through it). Shame, as I thought a story mode set in the Star Wars universe could be really cool. 

Funnily enough EA currently disabled microtransactions, which coincides with the lifting of the review embargo. Supposedly they now want to listen to players and fix things, which is again bs. They're doing it because they're taking a nose dive in the stock market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, voodoo_eyes said:

There's also the "short and shit" option, which this seems to fall into (according to many that have gone through it). Shame, as I thought a story mode set in the Star Wars universe could be really cool. 

Yup. Short, rushed, not keeping focus on the main character, lack of an ending so they can keep people around for DLC, not enough of the amazing starship segments... The first reviews released this week praised the story but since then enough honest reviews have popped up for me to make up my mind.

1 minute ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Funnily enough EA currently disabled microtransactions, which coincides with the lifting of the review embargo. Supposedly they now want to listen to players and fix things, which is again bs. They're doing it because they're taking a nose dive in the stock market.

Yeah, only 'currently' as in the same statement they already admitted that it will be making a return in the future. Best bet: too many cancellations of pre-orders, so they're keeping the microtransactions out until either a few weeks from now or until after the holiday shopping rush.

9 hours ago, mking_63 said:

Regarding the game itself my initial opinions have matched closely with @Jaguargenie who reviewed it as his first game, which is to say it's addictive fun. How have you been enjoying the new cost structure Jaguar? :lol:

I'm of two minds on this one @mking_63. Part of me is upset that this happened and am saddened because 'my game that i enjoy will no longer work in a little under 6 weeks.' 

On the other hand, I'm psyched because everything is free, I don't have to do a ridiculous grind anymore, and I can enjoy everything the game has to offer without worrying about costs. 

It's just such a shame that this game is getting canned. I very much was enjoying. Oh well. I hope the holidays don't get too much in the way and I'm able to play. The plat seems achievable now...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ditto said:

Ld78bf8.png

Battlefield Hardline- Day 1

Well, Battlefield Hardline is turning out to be a great purchase just for the campaign alone. I was enjoying it so much, that I binged almost the entire thing yesterday. Haven't even touched multiplayer. Lol. 

The story has been great, but has so many twists and turns, that it's hard to say a lot about it without spoiling the experience. But you play as a cop, and most of the time have an AI partner. Together, you put the bad guys away. I didn't really encounter any bugs with them not doing what they were supposed to. 

Voodoo and Rob,

This game really intrigues me after your reviews and the fun I'm having with Battlefield 1. That one MP trophy sounds like a real bitch, will you let me know if either of you try for it and see how doable it is? Is there any way you can buy the weapons via microtransaction to avoid a 30+ MP slog? 

1 hour ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Game #5 of 10: Sleeping Dogs

A Grand Theft Auto style open world game set in Hong Kong. You play as Wei Shen, a police officer sent undercover to infiltrate and destroy the Sun On Yee Triads gang.

Because you are a police officer posing as a gangster, you have two different sets of missions to complete - gang missions and police missions. The gangster missions early in the game mostly centre on driving to hideouts and fighting rival thugs. This revolves around melee combat - you don't get guns until later on.  In melee combat, you can press square to punch, hold square for a heavier attack (and use combinations of taps and holds of square to execute combos), use circle to grapple, and triangle to counter enemy attacks. I'm finding that this doesn't work terribly well; sometimes, I can't grapple even though I'm pressing circle when right next to an enemy, and the fact that the same button is used for regular and heavy attacks means that it can be difficult to pull off the combo moves that I want. I would have preferred a separate button for heavy attacks, allowing combos to be executed by mixing up presses of two different buttons, God of War style. The last gang mission I played during my 3 days introduced gunplay, and it was a real highlight - an explosive firefight in a drugs warehouse. The shooting is largely cover-based, a la Uncharted, and it works quite well. It doesn't feel as fluid and polished as the Uncharted games, but that's to be expected, given that this is just one of many gameplay styles in Sleeping Dogs.

So I've been on the fence about this one for awhile. Somebody played this game a few KYCs ago. love the sandbox idea of it in Hong Kong but I haven't pulled the trigger bc of the combo fighting. Is it better or worse than the Batman games? I HATED the combat combo fighting in Arkham Asylum and does Sleeping Dogs do it better than that game? Or are combos a key fighting aspect, because if they are, I will continue to steer clear. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

So I've been on the fence about this one for awhile. Somebody played this game a few KYCs ago. love the sandbox idea of it in Hong Kong but I haven't pulled the trigger bc of the combo fighting. Is it better or worse than the Batman games? I HATED the combat combo fighting in Arkham Asylum and does Sleeping Dogs do it better than that game? Or are combos a key fighting aspect, because if they are, I will continue to steer clear. Thanks.

I have to agree w @Melanogaster1987 that there is a lot to love. I played this on my ps3 years ago so the gripes don't stand out in my memory. What I do remember is loving the open world and having so much fun I 100%'d it. 

As far as the combat, Wei is just a cop. Maybe a cop really good at fighting but still a cop. He's not Batman so if the acrobatic fighting of the Arkham games bothered you, you won't find it here. It's smaller groups, and the environment plays a big part in the fighting. See a fish tank? You can probably put someone through it. Stuff like that. So it's a slower and more deliberate version of the same system. Make sense?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Voodoo and Rob,

This game really intrigues me after your reviews and the fun I'm having with Battlefield 1. That one MP trophy sounds like a real bitch, will you let me know if either of you try for it and see how doable it is? Is there any way you can buy the weapons via microtransaction to avoid a 30+ MP slog? 

Regarding Hardline. I'll put it bluntly (for the sake of the final impressions I'm still gonna write). The campaign was fun (about 7h long), MP was not. I played about 30 minutes and had enough, but then again I rarely enjoy the MP of "military-shooters".

When it comes to those MP weapons, you can't buy neither of them. However, the shotgun can be found on one of the maps form the Betrayal DLC. The Mac.10 is grind only. Unless you know someone "willing", who has those weapons unlocked, you can technically boost those kills in a fairly short time.

Personally I can't be arsed to do the long route, so I'll content myself with what I fet out of the campaign.

Now for Sleeping Dogs, the combat feels completely different from the Arkham games imo, I'd rather compare it to the Yakuza games if that serves as reference at all. It's definitely one of the best sandbox games I've played so far. It's different enough to be worth a play I find.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Well, it looks like I miscalculated my days with Yonder and ended up starting Hardline a day early. Since I finished the campaign in Hardline already I might pick up the previous game for a little bit before swapping games on the 19th.

Lol. I was wondering if we were really that far apart in time, when you posted your first review. Also, if that's the one I'm thinking of, I failed numerous times.. Either by getting my car stuck on something and getting shot to death, or driving it into the river. :/ 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scyther said:

Lol. I was wondering if we were really that far apart in time, when you posted your first review. Also, if that's the one I'm thinking of, I failed numerous times.. Either by getting my car stuck on something and getting shot to death, or driving it into the river. :/ 

Yeah, I'm not sure why I how I came to the conclusion that I already had been working on Yonder for 3 days.

I think the driving bit you mean is a few episodes earlier. I'm referring to episode 8 where you're driving through the desert, listening to the blond and daft one for several minutes.

I actually started to play on Hardline difficulty and it's incredibly easy so far. Episodes 6-8 were a bit of a pain, but nothing compared to Veteran mode in any COD game.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why I how I came to the conclusion that I already had been working on Yonder for 3 days.

I think the driving bit you mean is a few episodes earlier. I'm referring to episode 8 where you're driving through the desert, listening to the blond and daft one for several minutes.

I actually started to play on Hardline difficulty and it's incredibly easy so far. Episodes 6-8 were a bit of a pain, but nothing compared to Veteran mode in any COD game.

Lol. Okay. I thought you meant an annoying driving section, not an annoying conversation. I liked the entire cast, so that part didn't really bother me.

Well, that's good to know. I figured it probably wouldn't be, if I just played the way I did the first time (avoiding firefights and taking enemies out quietly). I wasn't expecting another Killzone 2 experience, at least. ^^' I'll probably just play some more multiplayer today, if anything. I have all the DLC, so I just need to unlock the Mac-10 and I should be good. 

19 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Regarding Hardline. I'll put it bluntly (for the sake of the final impressions I'm still gonna write). The campaign was fun (about 7h long), MP was not. I played about 30 minutes and had enough, but then again I rarely enjoy the MP of "military-shooters".

When it comes to those MP weapons, you can't buy neither of them. However, the shotgun can be found on one of the maps form the Betrayal DLC. The Mac.10 is grind only. Unless you know someone "willing", who has those weapons unlocked, you can technically boost those kills in a fairly short time.

Personally I can't be arsed to do the long route, so I'll content myself with what I fet out of the campaign.

Now for Sleeping Dogs, the combat feels completely different from the Arkham games imo, I'd rather compare it to the Yakuza games if that serves as reference at all. It's definitely one of the best sandbox games I've played so far. It's different enough to be worth a play I find.

Alright! Sleeping Dogs and Root Letter are already on my Play List for KYCVI! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for your take on Hardline. If the single player is that good, I might just pick it up, knowing full well I won't be getting the platinum.

19 hours ago, Jaguargenie said:

I have to agree w @Melanogaster1987 that there is a lot to love. I played this on my ps3 years ago so the gripes don't stand out in my memory. What I do remember is loving the open world and having so much fun I 100%'d it. 

As far as the combat, Wei is just a cop. Maybe a cop really good at fighting but still a cop. He's not Batman so if the acrobatic fighting of the Arkham games bothered you, you won't find it here. It's smaller groups, and the environment plays a big part in the fighting. See a fish tank? You can probably put someone through it. Stuff like that. So it's a slower and more deliberate version of the same system. Make sense?

Thanks for the advice. My biggest problem in Batman was the Combat rooms (or whatever they were called). I just could not string together a combo past 20-25 moves. As long as I don't need to keep a 50-move combo going in SD, then I should be good.