PlayStation 2 Dashboard Theme for PS4

Maxie_M0us3

So good! Though I’m not all that keen on the “legacy” thing that pops up. It should’ve just been how the PS2 boots up without a disc in. The PS2 logo comes up when playing a PS2 game on PS4 anyway. 

So now with this and the 20th Anniversary theme it’s just the PS3 boot that needs recreating! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I'm definitely going to buy this. The nostalgic feeling i got when I saw it. Even to this day I've always said the PS2 days were the golden days of gaming and the PS2 itself is one of, if not THE best PlayStation console even to this day. 

Yeah, those days when developers could rely only on making an actual good game for it to sell. No abusive DLC, no season passes, no microtransactions, no loot boxes...

Yup, those were indeed the days.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2017 at 5:08 AM, jrdemr said:

Yeah, those days when developers could rely only on making an actual good game for it to sell. No abusive DLC, no season passes, no microtransactions, no loot boxes...

Yup, those were indeed the days.

Ah yes, let's ignore broken games, shovelware for days and tons of other issues so we can pretend like the "good old days" were a utopia.

The good old days indeed.

5 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Ah yes, let's ignore broken games, shovelware for days and tons of other issues so we can pretend like the "good old days" were a utopia.

The good old days indeed.

So... you're going to tell me games don't come broken right now? (Hell, they're more broken than ever before, the only difference is that you can now patch them... which comes with its own set of issues, since many developers choose to ship a game broken on purpose and patch it later... so it's not exactly a good thing).

Regarding shovelware... have you seen Steam and Mobile stores? Again, there's probably orders of magnitude more shovelware than ever before.

Compared to the insane number of issues we have right now, the ones we had before were completely negligible.

So yes: good old days indeed. I would go back to the days of the Playstation 2 in a flash. Even if the graphics regressed, they were still good enough, and the lack of online won't bother me at all, since multiplayer games brought a ton of issues to the industry (and I personally am not a fan anyway, so...). Not to mention, without the ability to patch, developers would actually have to make sure their game was in as perfect a condition as possible at launch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrdemr said:

So... you're going to tell me games don't come broken right now?

Nope. Your problem is your nostalgia goggles. People need to stop being so ridiculous. Games are never perfect, never have been, never will be. Nothing was, is, or will be. Music, movies, games, comics, books, animation. There's always a wide variety of quality. Always. There is no magical era where everything worked perfectly, where all things were good. Because utopias do not exist. So stop being absurdly delusional and acting like there was some perfect time and that "now" sucks. Because people during that "perfect era" were saying the same thing about that era too, that it was better "before". Like clockwork. Give it time and this will be the "perfect" era to some, and the current one will be shit. Solely because those people grew up and had their most formative years playing now.

Edited by Elvick_

7 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Nope. Your problem is your nostalgia goggles. People need to stop being so ridiculous. Games are never perfect, never have been, never will be. Nothing was, is, or will be. Music, movies, games, comics, books, animation. There's always a wide variety of quality. Always. There is no magical era where everything worked perfectly, where all things were good. Because utopias do not exist. So stop being absurdly delusional and acting like there was some perfect time and that "now" sucks. Because people during that "perfect era" were saying the same thing about that era too, that it was better "before". Like clockwork. Give it time and this will be the "perfect" era to some, and the current one will be shit. Solely because those people grew up and had their most formative years playing now.

Tell me which of the following were present in gaming before the 7th generation came along:

• DLC cut from the main game to be sold separately later (even cosmetics and additional weapons used to be given to you for completing an in-game achievement back then)
  • Season passes present in nearly every game like it's mandatory for them to be present (and frequently not even covering all of the DLC that end up coming later down the line)
  • Microtransactions
  • Loot boxes
  • Games so fundamentally broken at launch they were ultimately unplayable just because the developers chose to prioritize the launch date over the game's actual quality
  • The sheer amount of shovelware and asset flips you can see today, mainly on mobile and Steam

Look, I know it wasn't perfect. No era is. They all come with their own sets of challenges.

• Did we have buggy games? Sure, but it wasn't nowhere near as bad as what you see today.
  • Were the graphics worse? Sure... But since when do good graphics equal a good game? Hell, even the Playstation 2, the weakest of the 6th generation, could deliver amazing visuals without all that much horsepower. Just look at Ookami or any Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts game. Graphics ≠ visuals.
  • Did we have less storage on disc? Sure, but so did the X360 and its games still had a lot of content. Hell, a lot of multi-platform PS3 games were held back merely because the X360 still stuck with DVD. I would even say that, with the sheer amount of free, in-game unlockables we had back then, we had more content despite not having as much space.

I'm also not saying the current era is some kind of gaming hell or something. I have plenty of great, modern games myself. Hell, just this year, we had a A TON of great experiences. But in terms of the ethics and philosophies behind gaming corporations... it's not even a contest. Whether they used to be better by choice or by force is another thing and we'll never be entirely sure, but I'll take forced ethics over the current lawless landscape any day of the week.

• Like 1