Sony Exec Hints That We’ll Be Able To Change PSN Names Within The Year

Aranea Highwind

4 minutes ago, Cubone said:

"I hope we'll see events occur that you won't have to ask me that question next PSX."

He's expecting a zombie apocalypse.

So am I :P

And in regards to this, that is pretty neat.  I mean, doesn't affect me, cause I like my PSN name as is, never wanted to change it myself... so yeah xD

Edited by DrakeHellsing

On the one hand, it'd be nice to change my name and change my Xbox name and have one nice and cool name across both, and it would be nice to get rid of this stupid joke after almost a decade.

On the other hand, I've had almost a decade to get used to this dumb name I never thought I'd have to keep, and never play online so I don't really give a shit about it.

Either way, it's been long enough, let people change their names already.

I wouldn't want this to be a thing, but they can already choose their own display names in Japan. So they appear as another name, even if their username is the same.

However, the issue with changing usernames is linking with third party services etc. What do they use to identify you? If that's the username, what will break if you just change it? So, I don't see anything other than a display name option.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gwendly said:

If we could get this just so I wouldn't have to hear people complain about it, I'd be thrilled

This. I'm so tired of people whining about it, more than I am tired of the underscore in my name.

I mean, I get wanting it. I do too, but yeesh. Like half way into last generation Shu talked about the difficulties and apparently nobody listened. Same thing with fixing the underage accounts, which they only did sometime this gen. Takes time, whining on every video of every game, every post of everything that involves PlayStation isn't going to make it happen faster or sooner. They have known we wanted this since last generation. But... I've digressed into whining about whining enough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

I'm happy not having it but a lot of people aren't, It would be very confusing who is who on friends lists and sites unless they made it obvious. I doubt it'll happen though, there's been lots of rumours, news or leaks in the past and every time people assume it's true.

Steam has a history of names, I don't see how that wouldn't be the way it's done. Toss in a nickname feature so you can just call friends whatever and even less confusion, but who knows. We'll see how they go about it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MMDE said:

However, the issue with changing usernames is linking with third party services etc. What do they use to identify you? If that's the username, what will break if you just change it? So, I don't see anything other than a display name option.

#foreignkeyproblems

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

I'm happy not having it but a lot of people aren't, It would be very confusing who is who on friends lists and sites unless they made it obvious. I doubt it'll happen though, there's been lots of rumours, news or leaks in the past and every time people assume it's true. 

I imagine they'll do it like Microsoft does, and give you one for free, but then charge for every time after that. To help prevent people from changing their names too often, and make it easier to track who is who. Actually, knowing Sony, they'll just be charging people for it.

• Like 1

If they actually do let you change your name I'd say it sure took them long enough. I don't really hate my PSN name I just tend to get bored with them after a while sometimes.
The only reason I didn't just make a new account was because I bought too many PSN avatars and trophies don't know if themes are tied your account either.
 As I said earlier they can just allow 1 name change per year charge $3-$5 so not everyone is changing it constantly. 

2 minutes ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

A feature/service long over due. Plenty here would change, already see people changing their names/tags here too many times. A fee would be good though or a time cap say every 6months.

Display name here can be change every 28days. I dont see why they can't just use the PSN japan system over here allowing us to create a "display" name if changing our original name is so complicated.