RECENT ACTIVITY

ALL

• ★★★½

• ★★★

• ★★★★½

• ★★★½

• ★★★½

• "Science is NEVER wrong."

That's the catch-phrase of the film that is repeated over and over and over and over again almost if it's a mantra to be force-fed to the "Science Denier" to help in their conversion. You know whom they mean; the person who questions the science of man-man global warming when the proponents of Climate Change have been caught time and time again manipulating data, falsifying results or cherry-picking only the data that supports their hypothesis and then aggressively attacking anyone who even thinks about jeopardizing their government-funded research with contrary facts or even asking questions. If you want to be surprised and "enjoy" the movie, you will want to stop reading now. From this point on, there be spoilers a'plenty. 

Anyway, for a movie that insists that Science is never wrong, they sure did get most of it that way for this film. The BIGGEST blunder is confusing the actual axis poles with the magnetic ones and somehow blaming the magnetic ones for the planetary temperature regions of the planet. As the magnetic poles shift, so does the wintry weather that normally hangs out at the polar axis's. Icebergs and frozen "fresh" crabs appearing off the coast of Miami with the justification of there being an undiscovered underground glacier somewhere in the Florida Keys. Frozen skeletons in a cave, somehow missing their flesh, on top of the miles deep ice of Antarctica that happened during a flash freeze 10,000+ years ago but all of the snow and ice that fell didn't bury the "cave". My favorite was the lack of visible breath or vehicle exhaust while the survey crews worked in the frigid temperatures of the frozen wastelands.

Nevertheless, these are just a handful of the gaffs that could have you screaming at the television no matter what side of the Climate Disruption (the NEW term we're now trying out for effect in the Scientific Community) fence you sit upon. Anyway, this is just a bad, bad movie and should be relegated to the bottom of the barrel where the rest of the rotten fish lay.

Edited by PSXtreme_
more movies added

This is the last time I'll cheat via using a collection.

Image result for mad max trilogy"

Mad Max is so boring that I couldn't watch it from start to end without fast-forwarding, but I always give things a fair chance, so the plan is already set to return to and finish it properly at some point.

Mad Max 2 is awesome and the definitive Mad Max movie/experience in the whole series.

Mad Max 3 is probably inferior to MM2, but it's still undoubtedly a solid movie and has the legendary Thunderdome.

Mad Max: Fury Road I find to be the worse post-apocalypse installment. My issues lie in its direction. That's basically it. Besides that, the movie is very well designed. 

Each installment has and offers something none of the others have. Limited examples: MM2 has the dog; MM3 has the Underdome, and MMFR has the sandstorm.

As for the 8th generation game with the same name, it needs to be properly understood (given I've seen disappointment for it "not being like the movies", which is only partly true at actual best) that the game is not based on any of the movies, only inspired from them. I will repeat this detail on the platinum trophy thread whenever I share it there.

• Like 1

RECENT ACTIVITY

ALL

About three years ago, I happened upon the audiobook of an unknown author named Ernest Cline. He had this dystopian novel about how an internet game had become a way of life and the contest that became a quest for all of mankind. The kicker was that because of an obsession of the "Creator," society had re-embraced everything of the 1980s from its tv shows, video games, music and even their wacky fashions. Personally, being a child of the 80s, this was just as much a welcome walk down memory lane that playing GTA: Vice City had been the first time I powered up my PS2 with the game DVD inside. I screamed thru the book and finished it one single driving period across 3 states and then started over to listen to it again the next day. This book quickly became one of my newest favorites and jumped up to become one of my top 5 books of all time.

Fast forward to 2018 and I read on the Interweb that someone had decided to translate my newest favorite book to the silver screen. I honestly felt the same way I had back in my childhood happily unwrapping the best Christmas gift I ever received; My Atari 2600 on December 25th, 1977. Then to put a cherry on the top, I find out that Steven fricking Spielberg will be behind the project. Only George Lucas or John Hughes could even come close to matching Spielberg for his overall influence for the era and for having their finger on the pulse of a generation. No doubt about it, this movie was going to be EPIC! I couldn't wait. This might be the movie to finally get me back into a theater in almost 2 decades.

My attitude started to waver when I saw the first trailer for the film. While everyone was going ga-ga over seeing the Batmobile (even though it was the Batmobile from the 60s) and the A-Team van, along with many other well-known 80s vehicles prepping for the all-out race, I started scratching my head and questioning what I was seeing. Yes, this looked like it would be awesome with so many icons immediately seen, but what was I seeing? This wasn't in the book anywhere, so how were they going to tie this in? Well, that was the point where I decided I'd better wait for the DVD to come out and boy was I glad I did.

Almost NOTHING from this movie matched the novel. Take out the character's names and any reference to the Oasis and I doubt 99 out of 100 viewers would have associated this with RPO. The story starts out in the wrong city, has the characters meet up IRL way before they do in the book, NONE of the challenges are the same and even the fact that the keys allowed you access to a second level of challenges, instead of being a means to the end, were removed from the story completely. How Wade wins the quarter, how and where the main characters fight the final battle and even the fact that not all the main characters live up to the battle, or through it, are misconstrued or completely rewritten. Moreover, most of the epic vehicles that we saw in the preview trailer never made an appearance in the race. Obviously the movie ran into licensing issues and most of the non-Spielberg properties were cut from the film completely.

However, the biggest sin is the complete loss of the vibe of the era that the book radiated. The biggest point for the book was a walk down memory lane while you read it. Every game, song, movie and tv show that were mentioned brought back individual memories of actually sitting down with a bowl of popcorn and watching them for the first time yourself, the emotions the music gave when you danced to songs at the school dance or the victory you felt bringing the Holy Grail back to the Golden Castle with Rhindle hot on your tail. If you take out a couple of songs from RPO's soundtrack, and the Delorean from "Back to the Future," it's just another generic SF adventure, and not a very good one at that.

Honestly, Spielberg has sucked every last drop of life from this property and left its dried husk to blow away in the desert wind. I can't think of any way that he could have made this movie worse, in any possible aspect. Even the special effects are more or less blah and do nothing to get the juices flowing. None of the actors seem really invested in their parts, the dialog is weak and has nothing really to do with the "real"story, the "expert" Gunters know almost nothing about Halliday or the media of the era and even the wrong character ends up indentured by IOI for the wrong reason. Personally I think the 1.5 stars is too generous of a rating, but I can't go any lower with a clear conscious.

If you never read the book, obviously like most of the people who gave this movie gracious scores, I'm sure you'll find it at least a mind diversion from everyday life. All others need to stay away and rewatch a copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail or War Games instead.

34 minutes ago, freddie1989 said:

OK?!?!? It is one of the best movies ever made!! Tough crowd LOL

You might want to expand your exposure before making such a defining statement.

It's a nice popcorn movie...it might break the top 100 if you really filter the qualifications...and yes I realize that opinions are as diverse as anything possible and what you like is not what everyone else might like...

But no, it's really not close to being the bestest greatest evar...

4 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

You might want to expand your exposure before making such a defining statement.

It's a nice popcorn movie...it might break the top 100 if you really filter the qualifications...and yes I realize that opinions are as diverse as anything possible and what you like is not what everyone else might like...

But no, it's really not close to being the bestest greatest evar...

My exposure is pretty vast in truth and I have watched most movies around that are worth seeing. What would you say was the best/your favourite film ever?

Pulp Fiction would be in any list of the top movies of all time.

54 minutes ago, freddie1989 said:

My exposure is pretty vast in truth and I have watched most movies around that are worth seeing. What would you say was the best/your favourite film ever?

Pulp Fiction would be in any list of the top movies of all time.

Comedy:

Blazing Saddles

Airplane

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

A Christmas Story

Drama:

The Godfather part 2

What Dreams May Come

Citizen Kane

It's a Wonderful Life

In the Heat of the Night

Sci-Fi/Fantasy:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Alien

Metropolis (1927)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Based on a True Story:

We Were Soldiers

Men of Honor

We Are Marshall

The Pursuit of Happyness

A League of Their Own

Guilty Pleasures:

Die Hard

Godzilla: Final Wars

The Naked Gun

They Live

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Edited by PSXtreme_

13 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Comedy:

Blazing Saddles

Airplane

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

A Christmas Story

Drama:

The Godfather part 2

What Dreams May Come

Citizen Kane

It's a Wonderful Life

In the Heat of the Night

Sci-Fi/Fantasy:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Alien

Metropolis (1927)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Based on a True Story:

We Were Soldiers

Men of Honor

We Are Marshall

The Pursuit of Happyness

A League of Their Own

Guilty Pleasures:

Die Hard

Godzilla: Final Wars

The Naked Gun

They Live

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I am glad you added guilty pleasures rather than putting Star Trek and Naked Gun in the other sections off the back of demoting Pulp Fiction. Horrendously bad movies. Some of the others aren't bad.