The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

The Last Temptation of Christ

DRx9jiq.jpeg

I'm not religious at all, I don't know most of the stuff that is told in the Bible. I can only guess which parts of The Last Temptation of Christ created the controversy. The movie still managed to captivate me.

You'd think having Dafoe as Jesus and Keitel as Judas is odd enough (although I think both crushed it, Dafoe's smile stuck in my mind especially), but there's also David Bowie. Not to mention other unexpected stuff including a scene where a snake explodes. And a surprising amount of nudity. On the other hand, what was expected is the portayal of Jesus as a normal man with flaws, fears and doubts, with temptation being the main theme. Some metacommentary was present as well. 

Scorsese crafted some memorable shots once again. Night-time scenes in the desert were the standout part, but some brief use of slow motion and dynamic lighting manipulation were interesting too. 

I'm glad I didn't skip this page in Scorsese's filmography. It's not a type of movie I see often, at least. Now onto Goodfellas.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

Going to try my best to avoid giving out too many major spoilers for any of these movies, but I'm going to put my thoughts on them into spoilers anyway just in case.

- - - - - - - - - -

H3s9KI0.png

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024) -

Spoiler

While I do miss - and prefer - the darker, more "grounded" approach and tone of Godzilla (2014) and King of The Monsters (2019), I still had a blast with this one and really enjoyed how over the top it is. Godzilla vs. Kong, while still good, was rather disappointing to me for some reason and I'm not exactly sure as to why. This movie was the better out of the two, and for whatever reason felt like it was more engaging and had better presentation to it in a lot of areas. Regardless of whether or not that's really the case, I definitely prefer this one over GVK. I still have plenty of problems with it, and I wish that Skar King (who actually turned out to be a fun, threatening, and very expressive antagonist despite his limited appearances throughout the film) and Godzilla especially had gotten more screen time, but it was still a lot of fun at the end of the day. Definitely think that the critics and people/fans comparing it one for one to Minus One - even though I agree that it is an infinitely better movie - in an attempt at dragging down the film and the people that enjoy it are being disingenuous when the two movies were doing two completely different things and aren't - nor are intended to be - comparable despite both featuring Godzilla. King of The Monsters is nonetheless still by far the best MonsterVerse - and one of the best Godzilla/kaijū - films to date as far as I'm concerned, and the people who said it was "bad" are just crazy (especially when taking into consideration that it gave us the best iteration of Ghidorah to date). lol

- - - - - - - - - -

HBwmWIn.png

Kung Fu Panda 4 (2024) -

Spoiler

I don't have too much to say about this movie other than that it's certainly not nearly as good as the first three films in the series, but neither is it bad like some people have made it out to be either. It was a good movie that had more flaws and poor decisions than the previous entries, and felt a bit too fast paced at times. The villain certainly could've been better, a lot of the newer character designs felt a bit... off/not fitting for the artstyle established for the series up to this point, and the returning villains felt very forced and underutilized. The humor in the film, while at times a bit rougher around the edges than the others, still got a few good chuckles out of me, and visually the movie was still really stunning despite some of the aforementioned character designs feeling as though they clashed with it a bit for whatever reason. Also Awkwafina is in the movie and - while I've never quite understood people's hatred of her, nor have I ever found her to be nearly as annoying as people have made her out to be - she's surprisingly less "squeaky" (for a lack of a better term) than what I'm used to hearing from her in this movie. However, that all said, the stuff that I've heard about that occurred behind the scenes during this film's production is very concerning and disagreeable to say the least. Hopefully this will improve going forward, but given the attitude of those involved and the success of this entry I fear that they'll only be emboldened and that things will get worse from here on out. 😕

- - - - - - - - - -

yydEBYB.png

Planet of The Apes Reboot Trilogy: Rise of The Planet of The Apes (2011), Dawn of The Planet of The Apes (2014), and War For The Planet of The Apes (2017) -

Spoiler

All I can say is god damn are these movies good, and I'm so looking forward to Kingdom of The Planet of The Apes after having watched these. Caesar is an excellent protagonist, and the movies do a great job at getting you to root for the apes rather than our fellow humans. Except Koba, fuck that guy (still a great villain, though). Also multiple scenes with Nova in the third movie got me to tear up pretty bad, like the one with Luca giving her some of the petals off of the tree, her reaction (and Caesar's reaction to hers) to Luca's death (and of course Luca's death hit me pretty hard in of itself), and also the exchange between her and Maurice where he called her brave before giving her the name Nova. The ending with Caesar and a mourning Maurice absolutely fucked me up. lmao Really good films either way, definitely cannot recommend them enough.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

Saludos Amigos

RGZ7juT.jpeg

It's one of those cases when the Wikipedia article is probably more interesting than the actual film. Saludos Amigos is a 40 minute film about South America that consists of live action travelogue segments and animated sketches with Donald and Goofy. However, the historical context makes it more interesting as a time capsule rather than a piece of art.

This year, I was reading about Orson Welles, and how he was appointed a "goodwill ambassador" and sent to South America to make some stuff and strengthen cultural ties with locals in 1940's. People with a better grasp on American history will explain the nature of political and economical influence better than me, so I'll leave it to them. The point is: Saludos Amigos is exactly the same. A bunch of Disney cartoonists were sent to countries like Argentina, Chile, and Brazil with the same mission. It acts as a double-layered documentary now. 

I don't know how to rate it, but it's certainly fascinating. And some of the animation parts are still cute and creative. The final segment about Brazil was probably my favourite. Donald walking while the environment was being painted in front of him was a cool moment. All to the tunes of samba.

It also makes want to visit and explore these countries, which I rarely hear about, so I guess, it did accomplish something.

The Big Boss

Z2eekWO.jpeg

First time watching a Bruce Lee film. 

It was fun. Lee is cool and charismatic as expected. His character Cheng Chao-an and James Tien's Hsu Chien both exude heroic masculinity but have a couple differences. Hsu Chien is like a walking moral compass that doesn't hesitate to use his fists when needed, while Cheng isn't perfect, doesn't always take the right step immediately, and even makes a mistake once. I like the build-up before his first fight. At first, his strength is only hinted at, and he doesn't get into fights, which is explained by his vow not to get into trouble and to avoid violence (I liked the cute melody that plays when he looks at his mother's amulet). 

The action scenes are well-directed and cool-looking despite the outrageously big jumps, slightly mistimed punch sound effects, and unnaturally bright blood. You can always tell what's happening, no matter how fast Lee moves. Action ends up feeling spicy with just the right amount of exaggeration - Lee looks the strongest but not unbeatable.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4