The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

220px-Wrecked_Poster.jpg

A man, referred to in the movie only as "Man" (Adrien Brody), wakes up in a wrecked car in the bottom of a ravine, covered in blood and with a broken leg. A dead body is behind him. He then hallucinates about a woman finding him. After a few days in this position, he manages to escape the car and fashion a crude splint out of sticks, car parts, a seatbelt, and a belt off of the dead body. In the car, he finds several bags of money and a loaded revolver. Hearing on the car radio about an armed robbery...

We just watched this the other night, and I have to say it is indeed a very well acted, scripted and though out movie. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and contains more than a few twists throughout.

If you like a well acted movie that is both engrossing and entertaining, you may want to give this movie a watch.

0048127_big.jpg

Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Godzilla is back, and this time he's not alone!

While scouting the seas for schools of fish, young pilots Tsukioka and Kobayashi encounter Godzilla and the spiny monster Anguirus in heated battle on a small Japanese island. The two beasts tumble into the ocean and soon resurface in Osaka, laying waste to the city in a fight to the death.

As the threat of destruction mounts, the two heroes muster their courage for the final showdown with Godzilla.

Just watched this again the other night, and although it is on the "cheesy" side, I have always found the early Toho Godzilla movies a great escape from the norm. For those who have NETFLIX, they have the original Japanese version (with English subtitles) available, which is far superior to the dumbed-down, heavily edited American version (also known as Gigantis the Fire Monster).

Good for a rainy day or a late, late night movie.

• Like 1

poster2.jpg

The X from Outer Space (1967)

Regardless if you know it by it's official name Uchû daikaijû Girara or its American version; The X from Outer Space is pure Japanese Sci-Fi.

A space station sends out a spaceship (AAB-Gamma) to investigate reports of UFO's that seem to prevent spaceships from reaching the Red Planet. As our intrepid space-travelers transverse the void of space, they encounter an odd shaped UFO that covers their spacecraft with spores. Naturally, the scientific officer on board collects one of these spores for further examination on Earth.

Little do our space hero's realize (until it is too late, naturally), that this spore will develop into a large monster that is part Godzilla and part chicken (yes, you read that right!). This monster is actually quite popular among fans of early Japanese sci-fi, known as Guilala. So popular in fact that there is a sequel in the works some 40 years after the original, due out in late 2008 called: Guilala's Counter Attack: The Touyaka Summit.

As only the Japanese can do, pure cheesy mayhem ensues as this tyrannical monster stomps its way through city after city. How do they stop this behemoth before it is too late!!?

...you will just have to watch it for yourself to see.

Overall, The X from Outer Space is a typical "Man-in-a-foam-suit" Japanese sci-fi; but the plot is actually quite good as is the premise...too bad the FX are typical of this genre from Japan during this time-period.

xfromspace_shot3l.jpg

• Like 1

Just wondering does Mystery Science Theater 3000 count?

If so the I have recently trudged through a movie called Warrior of the Lost World staring that one guy from Paper Chase.

It's pretty bad and really blurry, also for a movie set in an apocalyptic world, it's very green. I'm going to have to give this stinker my worst rating yet. 5/10

I saw Network (1976) a few days ago. I didn't like it at all. I'm sure not knowing what was going on was partially at fault, but honestly, it was very boring. Nothing but dialogue; I feel like I might as well have read the script. I do not recommend this movie to anyone.

Let's see...I saw the original, Bela Lugosi Dracula the other day. Not bad, but I prefer the more recent "Bram Stoker's: Dracula" ( 1992, Gary Oldman ).

I also watched District 9 again - I just can't get enough of that movie. Also thinking about watching Pitch Black again, and maybe having a The Lord of the Rings marathon.

064.jpg

As far as I am concerned, not only is Alien one of the best Sci-Fi's to hit the silver screen in recent decades, it also has one of the best tag lines ever:

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

Members of a space mining cargo ship, the Nostromo, are awakened early due to a distress signal from an uncharted planet. When they go to investigate the source of the signal, they get more...much more, than they bargained for.

An excellent cast which includes: Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Yaphet Kotto and Sigourney Weaver, combined with an excellent storyline and one of the most recognized alien life-forms makes this a taught, well thought-out Sci-Fi (and horror) movie. SFX are well done and pushes some boundries. At 20 years old, Alien has holds its own and still delivers an excellent viewing experience.

• Like 2

064.jpg

As far as I am concerned, not only is Alien one of the best Sci-Fi's to hit the silver screen in recent decades, it also has one of the best tag lines ever:

Members of a space mining cargo ship, the Nostromo, are awakened early due to a distress signal from an uncharted planet. When they go to investigate the source of the signal, they get more...much more, than they bargained for.

An excellent cast which includes: Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Yaphet Kotto and Sigourney Weaver, combined with an excellent storyline and one of the most recognized alien life-forms makes this a taught, well thought-out Sci-Fi (and horror) movie. SFX are well done and pushes some boundries. At 20 years old, Alien has holds its own and still delivers an excellent viewing experience.

Yea, Alien is a great series. Each film is a bit different as in Alien is horror and Aliens is more action etc... The only Alien film (besides the shit known as AVP) I didn't like was Alien 3 for some reason. Resurrection was pretty good too, but it was weird with that scientist dude never shutting his damn mouth. "You're a beautiful, beautiful butterfly!" Sorry for rambling.

Madagascar. Gives "bad" a whole new meaning.

While I agree with the tagline, I beg to differ with the "...one of the best best sci-fi...." sentence mainly because this an horror movie and it has very little Sci-Fi elements (really people, just because it's in space and they are using airships, it doesn't mean it's Sci-Fi!), so I wouldn't classify it as such. Otherwise, I agree with it being a good and classic movie, even though I think Aliens was better.

While I agree with the tagline, I beg to differ with the "...one of the best best sci-fi...." sentence mainly because this an horror movie and it has very little Sci-Fi elements (really people, just because it's in space and they are using airships, it doesn't mean it's Sci-Fi!), so I wouldn't classify it as such. Otherwise, I agree with it being a good and classic movie, even though I think Aliens was better.

The film is categorically classed as a "Sci-Fi/Horror" crossover; with Science Fiction taking the top classification and recognized as such by most movie historians, writiers, reviewers and fans alike. This is an oddity among genres where one can call it a Sci-Fi, and another can call it a horror, and both would be absolutely correct.