This game is a joke right?

Tusked-Lattice

14 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

That being said...I really wish they would have just left one of my favourite games alone :(

I mean instead of putting a half-ass attempt to "modernize" it and charge full price they could have just released the original game with online co-op and charged like 20$.

It was a lot of effort for a mediocre return that has a high price tag slapped on it.

Where we are it was about 2/3 the price of a new release... a price i was more than willing to pay.

What do u mean by 'modernise' it? Is it the graphics you're referring to? If so, i can't see how it's half-assed. 

I guess i'm just not seeing what all the hate is about. I'd personally take this over the original as a ps4 release. If it was just going to be the original, may as well just play the original. 

5 hours ago, kraven_15 said:

Where we are it was about 2/3 the price of a new release... a price i was more than willing to pay.

What do u mean by 'modernise' it? Is it the graphics you're referring to? If so, i can't see how it's half-assed. 

I guess i'm just not seeing what all the hate is about. I'd personally take this over the original as a ps4 release. If it was just going to be the original, may as well just play the original. 

Well the graphics suck and the voice acting sucks so they added in something that made the game look and sound worse than the original and then slapped a 50$ price tag on it. They should have just left it alone.

Also the original game had lagging issues that if more than 3 enemies were on screen at once the frame rate just dropped. So if they were going to rerelease it fixing that and adding online co-op was all they needed to do.

20 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

That being said...I really wish they would have just left one of my favourite games alone :(

I mean instead of putting a half-ass attempt to "modernize" it and charge full price they could have just released the original game with online co-op and charged like 20$.

It was a lot of effort for a mediocre return that has a high price tag slapped on it.

I agree, Secret was my favorite game as a kid and still is. I played this version with original soundtrack cuz the new one sucked. With it crashing on me every few hours definetly took away from my enjoyment. Should have just released it with online co op.I'm not gunna lie I still enjoyed it enough to platinum it, but feel like a fool for paying $40 for the ps4 version. My I say if your a trophy hunter and loved the original then grab it when it's on sale. If your not a trophy hunter, get on emulator for your computer and play it there.

Secret of Mana has always been one of my favorite games, and I have zero issues with this version except the crashing. The graphic update is fine, there's nothing wrong at all with no lip sync, and the voices in Japanese are perfectly fine. I wouldn't dare switch it to English. So you don't understand Japanese, big deal. There's text that tells you what they're saying, and you can actually hear the emotion the Japanese voice actors put into their work. I play with the original soundtrack since it's always been one of my favorites.

Do I regret spending $53 Canadian on it? No. Am I enjoying it? Yes.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2018 at 10:43 AM, Tusked-Lattice said:

A very bad remake. 

Why shouldn't they move? Just a sign of how much they didn't care really.  

The game was released back in the 90's on the SNES. back then it didn't have voice acting, moving mouths, facial expressions or any of that. It was a hit.
The game didn't need moving mouths then, doesn't need it now.

Is this game a joke? no. The remaster isn't for hardcore fans that need 1080p graphics, facial animations, and top-notch graphics to enjoy it. It's for those that grew up with classic JRPG games in the 90's. This remake is for us.

42 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

So you don't understand Japanese, big deal. There's text that tells you what they're saying

Guess they would hate the original where you are forced to read

Edited by Stargazer2600

5 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

The game was released back in the 90's on the SNES. back then it didn't have voice acting, moving mouths, facial expressions or any of that. It was a hit.

Is this game a joke? no. The remaster isn't for hardcore fans that need 180p graphics, facial animations, and top-notch graphics to enjoy it. It's for those that grew up with classic JRPG games in the 90's. This remake is for us

But not all fans like the changes so it isn't really made for all fans of the original.

See the way I see it is this. If they didn't change the graphics or add crappy voices fans wouldn't have complained...but by changing that stuff a large portion of the fans are complaining or at least they are indifferent to the changes (which means they don't care one way or the other).

So the changes were not needed and help add to the higher price point. 

That is the thing people are trying to stress. Square added stuff to this game that no one asked for and have just pissed off some of their fans. I was really looking forward to this release as SoM is one of my favourite games of all time...but I can't justify spending 50$ on a game that I already paid 100$ for (that was how much it cost new back when it came out) and is not that same game.

It is the same reason I am pissed about the FF7 remake but at least there Square is putting some effort into the graphics and such. So if you are going to change it go all out, don't half ass it, because at that point you might as well just leave it alone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But not all fans like the changes so it isn't really made for all fans of the original.

See the way I see it is this. If they didn't change the graphics or add crappy voices fans wouldn't have complained

Chrono Trigger was recently released on steam. they didn't do a thing to it. I seen streamers stream it. It's Chrono Trigger in all it's wonderous glory and its getting bad reviews cause "nothing was done to it"

damned if you do, damned if you don't

People wanted a Final Fantasy 7 remake, they got it. what happens? nothing but anger thrown at em

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Chrono Trigger was recently released on steam. they didn't do a thing to it. I seen streamers stream it. It's Chrono Trigger in all it's wonderous glory and its getting bad reviews cause "nothing was done to it"

damned if you do, damned if you don't

People wanted a Final Fantasy 7 remake, they got it. what happens? nothing but anger thrown at em

Oh yeah people will complain regardless :P

Is the steam version of Chrono Trigger the Ds version or the SNES version? The DS version threw in that extra dungeon at the end.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Is the steam version of Chrono Trigger the Ds version or the SNES version? The DS version threw in that extra dungeon at the end.

It's a mobile port where they ruined the beautiful sprites, play any console version instead. 

6 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well the graphics suck and the voice acting sucks so they added in something that made the game look and sound worse than the original and then slapped a 50$ price tag on it. They should have just left it alone.

Also the original game had lagging issues that if more than 3 enemies were on screen at once the frame rate just dropped. So if they were going to rerelease it fixing that and adding online co-op was all they needed to do.

I disagree. I think the graphics are look fantastic. And i don't really see an issue with the voice acting either... not to the point it ruins the game anyway.

If they released the same SNES game with no changes, then we'd have the opposite 'they're just releasing old stuff for a cash grab' mob complaining.

Anyway, while many may disagree, i for one am very thankful that they've released it this way. Aside from the occassional game crash, i'm enjoying every second of it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

It's the smartphone version!

That's why people don't like it.

People who defend this game are filled with nostalgia. If you've never played the original and are looking at it "emotionless" it's a very simple kinda crappy game you'd download on your mobile,. It's probably gonna be "free" on PS Plus very soon.

People who defend this game are filled with nostalgia. If you've never played the original and are looking at it "emotionless" it's a very simple kinda crappy game you'd download on your mobile,. It's probably gonna be "free" on PS Plus very soon.

I have technically never played the old game even though I have it on the SNES Classic. It's a PS4 and Vita game. It looks comparable in quality to just about every other Vita game that has a PS4 version.  It looks like a mobile game? I've read the complaint but it doesn't have any substance to it when we all play mobile games. Even it was free on PS+ there'd be people whining still.

Also, not liking the art direction is not the same as it being lazy.

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

I have technically never played the old game even though I have it on the SNES Classic. It's a PS4 and Vita game. It looks comparable in quality to just about every other Vita game that has a PS4 version.  It looks like a mobile game? I've read the complaint but it doesn't have any substance to it when we all play mobile games. Even it was free on PS+ there'd be people whining still.

Also, not liking the art direction is not the same as it being lazy.

That's wrong there are lots of better Vita games than this apologize to Vita now!

Edited by Tusked-Lattice

SNES was, and still is, one of the best consoles of all time. I love this game, and I’m happy to see that the charm that this game has and its beautiful soundtrack were preserved. 

But despite all my love for it, this was an absolutely horrible re-release. Because, even though the charm was preserved, so were the bugs. So before you put down the complainers, try to see their side of it. Of course animated and moving mouths is not what makes a game. But, what about bugs (bugs, not charm) like characters getting stuck in the terrain? What about not being able to damage an enemy more than once every few seconds due to SNES limitations (even though it’s a 3 player game), being preserved, along with the charm. These are indefensible. 

The Square Enix I love has already showed the world how great they are at re-releases. Like with Final Fantasy 12, balanced and re-released. They’ve also shown us they can fix a game, by admitting that Final Fantasy 14 had a horrible launch. They actually admitted it, then fixed it, and now it’s an amazing game and the best MMO on a console. So even though I’m having a great time with Mana, and you are too, please don’t act pompous and put complainers down when you know Square Enix is capable of so much more. Even if moving mouths isn’t a valid criticism, there are many other issues that are. They don’t get a pass with this one.

On 11/03/2018 at 6:00 PM, Stargazer2600 said:

While I certainly don't understand the hatred toward the SoM remake (and I'm really looking forward to play it and judge it by myself) I can certainly understand the hatred for the FF VII remake. The problem isn't the fact that they changed the gameplay to be modernised but the fact that they are going to launch the remake in an "episodic" format to take more money from their fans. I could do without having to buy three game to have access to the complete remake, and if I had to wait until 2030 to play the remake in one go I would prefer that rather than having the remake piece by piece.

On 3/11/2018 at 11:26 AM, Stargazer2600 said:

However back then it wasn't expected and this isn't a port of the SNES version.  The description says this is a remaster, not a port though so saying that the SNES version didn't have it doesn't matter much.  They are remastering the game made in the 90s and put in the effort to give it 3D graphics and voice acting.  On top of this, they put in the effort to show closeups of the characters while they were talking, which didn't exist in the SNES version.  The point of doing a closeup like that is to be able to show more detail and then they completely miss simple details.  And honestly, the cutscenes are awful looking because it's obvious these graphics don't scale up very well and are made more for smaller screens like the Vita.

Also, they were able to do decent animations, including moving mouths in the 3D remasters of FF3 and FF4 that were made years ago and for the DS originally.  One would expect SquareEnix to at least be able to meet the standard they set over a decade ago with those releases.  This game fails to do even that much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, killivincent said:

So, how is this game's co-op?

(Sorry to barge in when there seems to important discussion going on)

Just wanted to ask since I have been thinking buying this and play it together with my sister.

Not sure what you're asking, if you and your sister can handle the very simplistic hack and slash one button battle system and ok story without eventually getting bored then it's decent co op. 

Edited by Tusked-Lattice

2 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Not sure what you're asking, if you and your sister can handle the very simplistic hack and slash one button battle system and ok story without eventually getting bored then it's decent co op. 

Well, that pretty well answered my question. Just wanted to know is it even worth playing co-op. Thanks a lot for answering!

Edited by killivincent