SEGA Megadrive Mini and Shenmue I & II Announced

TugaSonic

Today at SEGA FES 2018 in Japan, SEGA announced they will be launching a new Mega Drive mini console, in celebration of the Mega Drive’s 30th Anniversary!

At the event, it was revealed a version of the console and, compared to ATGames’ recent Mega Drive Flashback HD console, it’s tiny!

But not a huge amount more is known about the system just yet, we couldn’t see any controller ports or whether it’ll use wireless controllers or both.

The one thing we know is that the Mega Drive Mini (tentative title) is being launched this year (2018)!

http://www.seganerds.com/2018/04/13/sega-fes-2018-sega-reveals-mega-drive-mini-console/

Not only that but hey also announced Shenmue 1 & 2 for PS4, Xbox One and PC:

https://youtu.be/jPtlofIccAk

EDIT: ATGame just revealed via Twitter that the announced Mega Drive Mini will be made using their technology.

https://twitter.com/ATGFlashback/status/985158110837911552

Edited by TugaSonic
Added new information
  • Like 1

I want to be amped for the console but, unlike Nintendo, I can play the old Sega games anywhere. I got the MD collection on PSP and PS2, got a few of the games I like most on GBA, the PS3 collection is ace, and the new collection coming out soon will be a day one for me if it drops on Switch too. Plus they are releasing a boat load of the classics on your phone now for free like Altered Beast, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, and so on. That's not even mentioning emulation, which makes them playable on damn near literally everything. Mini console is cool but not at all necessary for me, as there's too many other places I can play them. Nintendo don't have that issue, they have a hand full of games on the Virtual Console on their old consoles and overpriced originals on eBay, so their mini console has a lot more inherent value to me from that alone.

Cool for anyone who gets it though.

15 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I want to be amped for the console but, unlike Nintendo, I can play the old Sega games anywhere. I got the MD collection on PSP and PS2, got a few of the games I like most on GBA, the PS3 collection is ace, and the new collection coming out soon will be a day one for me if it drops on Switch too. Plus they are releasing a boat load of the classics on your phone now for free like Altered Beast, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, and so on. That's not even mentioning emulation, which makes them playable on damn near literally everything. Mini console is cool but not at all necessary for me, as there's too many other places I can play them. Nintendo don't have that issue, they have a hand full of games on the Virtual Console on their old consoles and overpriced originals on eBay, so their mini console has a lot more inherent value to me from that alone.

There's always the possibility of titles that haven't been re-released however. MUSHA for one, or the konami genesis titles

I remember booting it for the first time and being like "woah look at those graphics". Shinobi 3 and BattleTech were especially impressive, then there was Golden Axe, Sonic, Zero Tolerance, Shining Force, Demolition Man, Comix Zone, Vectorman, Beavis and Butt-Head and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Shame about the Mini being outsourced though.

On 4/14/2018 at 0:16 PM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

This is pretty much what I thought. Even just the new collection on PS4 etc that drops soon is likely gonna have 90% of what's on the mini. Calling it right now that it'll have S3&K and sell out in 5 minutes though :P

9 hours ago, TugaSonic said:

ATGame just revealed via Twitter that the announced Mega Drive Mini will be made using their technology.

https://twitter.com/ATGFlashback/status/985158110837911552

ATGames, really?  If it's like the Sega Genesis Flashback, I'm skipping it. ☹️

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/13/16051258/sega-genesis-flashback-hd-review

I'm kinda with those saying that it's hard to get excited with the Sega mini since Sega games haven't been the hardest to get a hold of, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the internet.

Now, if they were to do something in regards to the Dreamcast or even Sega Saturn (the latter I missed out on growing up), THEN I'd be all over that.

Though I guess this would be as good as a time than any to finally get into Shenmue.

On 4/14/2018 at 6:16 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I want to be amped for the console but, unlike Nintendo, I can play the old Sega games anywhere. I got the MD collection on PSP and PS2, got a few of the games I like most on GBA, the PS3 collection is ace, and the new collection coming out soon will be a day one for me if it drops on Switch too.

Yep, same here. I love these games, but I have such easy access to them that I don't need this system. Further, I never liked the controller on the Genesis, anyway. I'll just be picking up the Sega Collection on PS4.

The things I love about the NES and SNES classics:

• I don't have to mess with my cartridges, I can leave them stored.
  • I can let my kid play these with no worries he's getting on the internet and chatting with weirdos like members from here
  • I don't need to maintain my own hardware/controllers/whatever, it's a package deal.
  • I don't resort to rom downloading, which lots of people seem to have no quarrel with, but talk about CFW and loading up PS3 images and the torches come out.

I'm hoping the Sega collection does the same. I have the PSP UMD, but again, I'm not letting my kid use my PSP for the reasons I gave above.

Now bring out a TurboGrafx version in the TurboExpress format, complete with the TV tuner and I'll be ready to drop as much as $100 retail for it!

Sega was obviously inspired by the NES Classic Nintendo released.

As much as I loved the old Sega games of the 1990s and having a love for Sonic the Hedgehog in my early childhood, I don't see too many people out there to grab this.

The Sega exclusives from 1989 - 1994 were phenomenal, but they really started going downhill around the time the 32X was released. Sega was trying too hard to come out with too many hardware consoles and I feel that ultimately caused them to drop out of the console race in 2001.

The Sega Saturn was a complete disaster and what hurt me the most was there was no proper Sonic game. We had to wait until Sonic Adventure came out. The Dreamcast, while a good console, wasn't enough to keep Sega in the console race.

Anyone here remember the classic AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd) episode on the 32X?

The 32X along with the Sega Genesis and Sega CD looked awful. The only game I found decent on the 32X was Knuckles Chaotix. Sega CD had a few good games like Sonic CD, Night Trap and a couple other ones.

If I buy a mini Genesis/Mega Drive, it will be for purely nostalgic reasons.

15 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unfortunately they'll be using atgames technology in it, so expect low quality emulation

Well, that's bad.  Really BAD.  Not going for it then.

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

The Sega Saturn was a complete disaster and what hurt me the most was there was no proper Sonic game. We had to wait until Sonic Adventure came out. The Dreamcast, while a good console, wasn't enough to keep Sega in the console race.

Sega should probably have ditched hardware development after the Saturn.  It's not easy for me to say this, because I did like the Dreamcast.  Just can't help thinking how much better it would've been for them to work with the PS2 rather than end up competing against it.

10 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

They don't license out their hardware to third party companies that can't even make an emulator better than what's readily available on the internet

Im pretty sure the third party who makes Nintendo hardware wouldn’t be able to make an emulator themselves, either:

https://kotaku.com/5952422/report-chinese-kids-were-used-to-manufacture-the-wii-u

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Im pretty sure the third party who makes Nintendo hardware wouldn’t be able to make an emulator themselves, either:

https://kotaku.com/5952422/report-chinese-kids-were-used-to-manufacture-the-wii-u

Daiv coming in with the save while I was out today. What a legend.

I didn't originally get the Genesis Flashback from ATGames after hearing concerns about the quality of the emulation and the device itself. That coupled with a high price tag and very adjusted budget on my side, made me think that it would be better to just stick with the HD compilations on the current console of the moment. It is way cheaper that way.

Also, I rather prefer to hunt down for the game titles myself...even though my country is plagued with Taiwanese and Chinese copies of the cartridges. Haven't seen an original one in quite a while now that I think about it >_>

• 2 weeks later...