PS Vita physical games being discontinued in US and Europe

locutus442

1 hour ago, Arogano said:

finally! this crap console should have died way earlier

Please explain further, seems like you have lots of insight in the matter at hand.

(I know, I just replied to a troll, shame on me. Sorry for whichever random trophy just became unobtainable.)

On 5/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

I don't want to believe this.  Is it just a terrible rumor?

Sorry for not saying this is an assumption but from the way things have been going for the Vita, I wouldn't be surprised if Remote Play is next on the list.

There are still a few games I want to get on the Vita eventually. Killzone Mercenary, Playstation All Stars and a few others. A couple Japanese visual novels look quite appealing, but I still got Amnesia: Memories and Code Realize to play through.

Too much focus is being thrust on the PS4 Pro. Even the Slim in comparison isn't getting near as much attention.

One thing they should do if they are proceeding with this digital only nonsense is at least bring out some normal priced and decent sized mem cards

Always annoyed me that the price was two or three times that of a standard microsd and I have never found one bigger than 64gb.

I have read about adaptors and non standard firmware workarounds but I just want to be able to have a proper mem card of 256 or 512 so I can stop swapping the over priced pile of 16gb ones we were forced to choose early on

I agree with most folks on here about the sadness of this news. The dropping of the carts and then no more stuff on plus from next year are not steps forward for me

On 17/05/2018 at 1:22 PM, DarkSoleride said:

or the PlayStation 5 will be a more advanced hybrid of the N. Switch i can see that being a real possibility with more and more people wanting power but portability would make sense rather than a PS Vita 2. This way they would keep physical games. 

I hope it isn't like the Switch. I dislike all these gimmicks. I just want a home console like the Playstation always has been. No Kinnect, no condom controllers, no eye toys just a standard controller.

I mean Microsoft ruined the Xbox One by trying to make it a home entertainment system rather than a games console too.

1 hour ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

I hope it isn't like the Switch. I dislike all these gimmicks. I just want a home console like the Playstation always has been. No Kinnect, no condom controllers, no eye toys just a standard controller.

I mean Microsoft ruined the Xbox One by trying to make it a home entertainment system rather than a games console too.

it was more like the xbox lost because of the DRM they wanted to implement to the console  you know no used games always online , kinect needs to be connected to the console always >.> stuff like that ruined the xbox one  at launch

12 hours ago, Evertonian said:

Always annoyed me that the price was two or three times that of a standard microsd and I have never found one bigger than 64gb

I've seen new Vita 64GB cards going for $90-$100 right now.  A microSD with the same space can be bought for closer to $20.  Should Sony actually decide to make a PSP3/Vita 2, they should allow generic microSD cards instead.  They might not make the money on the memory cards if they did that, but they'd get it back on game license fees since more games would sell by PSN.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

I've seen new Vita 64GB cards going for $90-$100 right now.  A microSD with the same space can be bought for closer to $20.  Should Sony actually decide to make a PSP3/Vita 2, they should allow generic microSD cards instead.  They might not make the money on the memory cards if they did that, but they'd get it back on game license fees since more games would sell by PSN.

The memory cards aren't there just because Sony want money, it's also to prevent piracy since that was a big deal on the PSP.

21 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Think the reason why they had it in mind was for security, I know it's fairly easy to homebrew the 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony Slashed online for both PSVita and PS3 all together in the next coming years. 

Honestly, the Era of Handheld is coming to a close I believe, I mean Nintendo Switch is a Cross between handheld/console. But I think when Devs no longer have in mind just making a game for certain Handheld. I see a lot of Cross-platform stuff going to handheld. 

Also many games from previous gens are not available in PSvita's Storefront.

I could be wrong but I think  3DS / Vita is the last step.

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's a shame it didn't even really stop that either

True, but at least it isn't as rampant as it was on PSP. I guarantee devs would have stopped supporting the platform sooner if that was the case. The Vita install base may be small, but they actually buy games, and a lot of them.

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

This is one of the main reasons why the Vita never took off really. Forcing people to use a proprietary memory card that cost 3-4 times as much as a regular SD card really put a permanent nail on the opinion for the console. Not only did you had to invest a good amount of money to purchase the console but you also need to buckle up a good amount of extra money just to be able to save your stuff and download games. Sure, the cards have a faster write/read speed than conventional SD cards of the time and they did stop piracy a little more but still, at what cost exactly? You're taking away a product from the masses by forcing them to use a more expensive alternative that is barely worth the benefits. At least in my opinion.

That was one of the reasons why I prioritized getting a 3DS over a Vita years ago.

I really doubt they're going to continue the handheld route but they should definitely stop supporting those memories cards in favor of SD cards.

1 hour ago, fyiByas said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony Slashed online for both PSVita and PS3 all together in the next coming years. 

Also many games from previous gens are not available in PSvita's Storefront.

I could be wrong but I think  3DS / Vita is the last step.

So you think Sony is ready to give up the future revenue stream from PS3 and Vita digital game sales? What makes you think that when they’ve recouped all their inital costs a while ago?

Isn’t almost every PSP (the previous gen) title that was released (minus the few that never went digital) available in the Vita storefront? Again, revenue stream for not doing very much.

While 3DS and and Vita is likely the last step in new handhelds for any foreseeable future, Sony is more likely to just keep allowing developers to release games digitally for years and years. Prices may have to increase to accommodate any burden to the PSN network (minimal as far as the Vita is concerned) so cutting off online for both is as likely as Nintendo declaring bankruptcy. 

I'm sure Sony could've used microSD cards, while requiring that they be formatted by the Vita itself with some encryption to keep PCs from reading them.  That way you could use your favorite brand of card. For a PS4, I'm sure glad there's no proprietary HDD (whenever I want to add another HDD to mine, I'll get a Toshiba with maybe 6-8 TB). 

It wouldn't make sense for Sony to kill PS3 & Vita digital sales.  Surely a lot of PS3s are still in use- and Vitas, since PSP support on PSN has been killed & you now need a Vita for the PSP games.

Nintendo would probably make Switch 2 instead of another 3DS or Wii.  They know with Sony not putting another handheld out, they've got you.

25 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

This is one of the main reasons why the Vita never took off really. Forcing people to use a proprietary memory card that cost 3-4 times as much as a regular SD card really put a permanent nail on the opinion for the console. Not only did you had to invest a good amount of money to purchase the console but you also need to buckle up a good amount of extra money just to be able to save your stuff and download games. Sure, the cards have a faster write/read speed than conventional SD cards of the time and they did stop piracy a little more but still, at what cost exactly? You're taking away a product from the masses by forcing them to use a more expensive alternative that is barely worth the benefits. At least in my opinion.

Video gamers have one of the most expensive hobbies and many people dozens to hundreds of games in backlogs and yet want to whine about a one time purchase of storage for their console.

I worked retail for the Vita launch and subsequent years. The main reason the Vita failed is Sony’s lack of marketing. I dealt with mostly Moms looking to buy video games for their and other kids. Tons of Xbox and PlayStation games. None of them had any idea what the Vita was, but they were well versed in the difference in Nintendo handhelds. Absolute failure. 

Anyone who didn’t buy the Vita and pointed at the one time purchase of a memory card ($30 for the 16 GB is more than manageable) as the main reason was never going to buy one, regardless of what kind of memory card it took.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Video gamers have one of the most expensive hobbies and many people dozens to hundreds of games in backlogs and yet want to whine about a one time purchase of storage for their console.

I worked retail for the Vita launch and subsequent years. The main reason the Vita failed is Sony’s lack of marketing. I dealt with mostly Moms looking to buy video games for their and other kids. Tons of Xbox and PlayStation games. None of them had any idea what the Vita was, but they were well versed in the difference in Nintendo handhelds. Absolute failure. 

Anyone who didn’t buy the Vita and pointed at the one time purchase of a memory card ($30 for the 16 GB is more than manageable) as the main reason was never going to buy one, regardless of what kind of memory card it took.  

Not all gamers have hundreds of games in their backlogs. Perhaps on this site, most gamers do fit that profile but the general population does not buy hundreds of games a year. I'm sure the casual gamers out there only by a select number of titles a month, maybe a small handful of 3-4 titles a month at much. Also, those buying habits and the purchasing power of people vary from country to country. From my experience, I can tell most gamers that are with the times here only buy 1-2 PS4 games each month and they only buy the most common and popular titles of the moment (CoD, Battlefield, FIFA, Need For Speed, and so on). You know, the games that have a wide market appeal.

I cannot speak on the lack of marketing as I really don't know how the marketing of the console was in your country. You're most probably right as even in my third world country we used to get ads on TV about Nintendo and some of their most recent games every now and then while Sony's publicity was totally non-existent (for all consoles actually!).

Taking the argument on the price of the memory cards a little further, take into consideration that the price of the cards and the purchasing power of the population is not the same in every place of the world. What might be cheap for you, might not be cheap for someone else. For gamers with a limited budget and that can only get one console at a time during a generation, the 3DS was certainly the most attractive offer. Not only the console was cheaper but the SD cards were also easier to find and offered more storage for a lower price. To give you some perspective, in my country right now, a new 16 Gb SD card costs anywhere between $5-9, while a new 16Gb Memory Card for the Vita cost anywhere between $43-50. And this is a country where the average income of the people is around $20-40 USD a month. So...well... do the math. It's very simple to see why the 3DS was a better offer in regards to memory cards.

Then again, the place where I live in is quite an oddity in terms of economics so I'm sure these figures will sound totally bogus to anyone...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Not all gamers have hundreds of games in their backlogs. Perhaps on this site, most gamers do fit that profile but the general population does not buy hundreds of games

When I started my response with :

43 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

many people have dozens to hundreds of games in backlogs

Your straw man argument loses it credibility. Those were the only people I was talking about. 

On 5/18/2018 at 0:15 AM, Spaz said:

Sony is also going to do away with Remote Play. Anything to do with the Vita is being taken off.

i would be so angry if they would do that, i use it very much, in the summer im always sitting outside in the sun doing remote play on my vita

37 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

When I started my response with :

many people have dozens to hundreds of games in backlogs

Your straw man argument loses it credibility. Those were the only people I was talking about. 

I don't get it... Could you please elaborate further?  Of which people are you talking about? Video gamers in general? Casual gamers? Hardcore gamers?

The high price of the memory cards for the console is one of the most commonly seen complaints about the console from what I've seen in online comments. Sure, that factor alone wasn't probably the main deciding factor of why people didn't buy the console as you could also add lack of proper first-party support and, as you mentioned, lack of adequate marketing but still.

From what I'm getting you're saying that the console was doomed to failure even if it has had a cheaper memory card?

On 5/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, Honor_Hand said:

So, I guess right now would the best time to start getting those physical games before their availability starts dwindling and the prices go up, right?

I doubt this announcement matters all that much for games already printed, because there is little chance they ever got reprints.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, DaivRules said:

You seem to go out of your way to make yourself sound superior in your own argument, debate or what have you to try to get someone to reevaluate the point they are trying to get across. 

I have seen you do this across several threads to several people, including myself. Do you feel any sort of satisfaction in doing this? Because all I see from you is a guy bitching against those whose opinions don’t coincide with your own. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Spaz said:

Sorry for not saying this is an assumption but from the way things have been going for the Vita, I wouldn't be surprised if Remote Play is next on the list.

There are still a few games I want to get on the Vita eventually. Killzone Mercenary, Playstation All Stars and a few others. A couple Japanese visual novels look quite appealing, but I still got Amnesia: Memories and Code Realize to play through.

Too much focus is being thrust on the PS4 Pro. Even the Slim in comparison isn't getting near as much attention.

That's not a good assumption when Remote Play exists outside of Vita itself... on PC. And you get to use the DS4 so it's better than Vita. Can even type out using your keyboard.

Edited by Elvick_

Just now, Elvick_ said:

That's not a good assumption when Remote Play exists outside of Vita itself... on PC. And you get to use the DS4 so it's better than Vita.

Well anything to do with the Vita is slowly being taken away. 

Remote Play and PlayStation Now are both intertwined with each other. The PC is primarily for the streaming service.