Baking-related games: is there a market?

Ripper

11 minutes ago, Kishnabe said:

@breathofwater How long have you worked on your game?  How difficult is the platinum? 

Only PSN, or are you planning to bring it to other platforms?

All the best on your launch. 

I worked on the game for about 2 years now. Much of that time was learning though.

It's hard for me to say a difficulty rating since I'm so familiar with everything about the game.

If I were to rate it I would say its very easy if youre good at 2d platformers.

Everything you work towards for trophies is clearly defined and or tracked on screen.

For now PS4 only. My next step is the EU release.

I hope very much that I can someday release on PSVITA as well, however I can not promise that.

I love vita and that is something I would like to make happen and will try to make happen.

Edited by breathofwater
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ripper1488 said:

As as for the hate I’m getting for being an inexperienced poster...REALLY?! Why as an individual, are my posts or anyone else’s less relevant or worthy than others? 

You're not getting hate. It's just that a lot of threads have gone up with little to no reason and they all seem to be from posters with very little posts. You're posts are as meaningful as someone who has like 2,000 more than you. Like @angelgrievous said, post count requirements are deployed on other sites to limit troll threads or threads that have very little to even respond about.

I apologize if my other post seemed as if I was belittling low post count users as that is not what I intended at all.

Edited by Death_Ninja

Im a chef in my professional life

so you ask, is there a market for a baking game or just a game that involves food in general

i say sure there is

i mean, look at games like Candy Crush just for example

thats a food related game, Is it not?

that game took over the world and has spunoff several other titles of the same category, all to be very successful

overcooked, though i havent played it for myself, i have been told is a very enjoyable game

even watching lets play videos of it seem pretty fun

granted there doesnt seem to be very many console cooking games out there on the market but thats not to say there isnt a place for it

just because it has baking in it doesnt make it crap, thats just obsurd, if it is poorly made with screen Tears and input lag and framerate drops and poor level design, then sure, thats crap

but if its its done right, created with some real effort and tlc, then i say good job

The subject matter could be anything to me personally

ive literally played every genre out there

i will literally play just about anything

...And that modo plays into real life

be open minded, try new things, boxing yourself in will only hinder you in the long run

atleast try something first before you go ahead and bash it

• Like 1

just came across this after a hard day's work...the thread's been a good reminder to be careful what and how one mindlessly trashes things on the internet...spreading love is always a safe bet...so here's some love for the creator and the hater...cheers to breath for seeing 2 years of hard work materialize into a ps4 release...must've been a huge investment in so many different ways...

I think with the "gem of the week" type threads that we see enough in these parts, rip thought he would post a similar topic...possibly hoping to get others to jump on the "what is wrong with the PSN these days?" bandwagon...innocent enough...unfortunately, this may have been in poor taste this time around for what are now obvious reasons...again, a good lesson about unnecessary judgments or resisting the urge to trash the unknown...

question : any available trailers/demos or was this criticised solely on a title and trophy list?...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ProfBambam55 said:

just came across this after a hard day's work...the thread's been a good reminder to be careful what and how one mindlessly trashes things on the internet...spreading love is always a safe bet...so here's some love for the creator and the hater...cheers to breath for seeing 2 years of hard work materialize into a ps4 release...must've been a huge investment in so many different ways...

question : any available trailers/demos or was this criticised solely on a title and trophy list?...

Thanks bud, I have not done any press or put out anything in the way of media.

I did submit videos and pictures for the PS Store Release but I do not believe that content is public yet.

There are some pictures up on my website (lillymogames.com), though they do have some of old art in them.

I will put out some videos to youtube in the next few days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, breathofwater said:

I did submit videos and pictures for the PS Store Release but I do not believe that content is public yet.

There are some pictures up on my website (lillymogames.com), though they do have some of old art in them.

haha...cool...i see now why you mention mario world (I think)...seems very marioesque (yep, new word)...

2nd question : did you model the character(s) after how you look in real life?...

side note : I really don't understand the relevance of "baking-related game" in terms of enjoyment?...seems like a 2d platformer...i mean does "plumbing-related" sound appealing? ...haha...if we had to vote, I'd take baking over plumbing any day...based on our majority obese society here in na, although plumbing is obviously important I think many also like their baking... perhaps a little too much at that...so I'd have to say yes to the thread title, there is likely a market for it...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

2nd question : did you model the character(s) after how you look in real life?...

Yes, though sadly I do not have any chef hats (yet).

I agree with your sentiments. If we look back at the games and titles of the past that we have come to love, many of them seem natural having grown up with them but would have been weird at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ripper1488 said:

Not that I need to explain my PlayStation gamer handle to you, but my school nickname was ripper ‘cause I used to chill out and say I wasn’t lazy I was ‘resting in power’ and my name is Jack! 1488 was a really important year in my family history in England. Don’t see why any of this offends you?! 

It offends people who know that 1488 is an obvious Hitler/racist/white supremacy reference, since you asked and I’m sure you just no idea about that!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, breathofwater said:

I agree with your sentiments. If we look back at the games and titles of the past that we have come to love, many of them seem natural having grown up with them but would have been weird at the time.

haha...nice...would be neat to have a game where I was the main character's model...

final (compound) question (I think) : this is a curiosity question and feel free not to answer if it's a trade secret or something...is the number or type of trophies something you chose or paid for or something?...or is it something sony decided for you?...do you have any freedom when applying a list to a title aside from name and image?...are there any guidelines you had to follow?...i've wondered about this for a while now and don't think I've ever had a chance to ask a dev directly...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, breathofwater said:

Hello, everyone. It happens that I came up with this "crap"

haha

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering it is not a baking game but it is a 2d platformer, similar to games like super mario world.

It is my first game and I made it entirely on my own, if you have any questions feel free to post or ask me directly.

The game is set to release on June 5th in the Americas

-Barry M Johnson

Is there a trailer out there somewhere? Tried searching on Youtube but due to the name you end up with a lot of well baking videos ?

42 minutes ago, breathofwater said:

I am curious if you’d be willing to give advice on a path on becoming a developer with a title on PSN. 

How to get started learning the appropriate programming. How to avoid problems you had. Any recommendations/suggestions or unique insights you’ve acquired. 

20 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

final (compound) question (I think) : this is a curiosity question and feel free not to answer if it's a trade secret or something...is the number or type of trophies something you chose or paid for or something?...or is it something sony decided for you?...do you have any freedom when applying a list to a title aside from name and image?...are there any guidelines you had to follow?...i've wondered about this for a while now and don't think I've ever had a chance to ask a dev directly...

I fully understand your curiosity.

There have been many games that broke my heart by not having a full platinum (looking at you Resident Evil 4)

In my case it was simply a matter of programming a full platinum list and submitting with that.

There wasn't any conversation about if it should have a full list or a smaller scale one.

• Like 2

On the topic of baking games, personally, I freakin' love Diner Dash. I wish they had more games like that on the PS4. There's something very soothing about games that require you to micromanage a ton of things at once, even though it's extremely hectic.

I hadn't heard of Order Up before. Unfortunately, like Diner Dash, it looks like it's only on the PS3.

(I know this is a 2D platforming and probably has little to do with actual cooking, but I just wanted to say that food games...are the best games.)

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, breathofwater said:

I fully understand your curiosity.

There have been many games that broke my heart by not having a full platinum (looking at you Resident Evil 4)

In my case it was simply a matter of programming a full platinum list and submitting with that.

There wasn't any conversation about if it should have a full list or a smaller scale one.

haha...cool...yeah, there have been a lot of odd lists that make you wonder about the "rules of submission"...answer appreciated although curiosity still there...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I am curious if you’d be willing to give advice on a path on becoming a developer with a title on PSN. 

How to get started learning the appropriate programming. How to avoid problems you had. Any recommendations/suggestions or unique insights you’ve acquired. 

It would depend on where you are starting from. But my advice in general would be just get started.

I had intended to make games a long time ago but made my excuses of why I couldn't.

So whatever your first steps will be go ahead and start mapping out what you want to do.

There are resources out there to read or videos to watch that can teach you whatever you might want to learn.

The worst part of the process for me personally was having to deal with starting a company, paperwork, and all this type of thing. That kind of stuff bores and confuses me.

I hadn't done any coding in years so watching some video tutorials on youtube was a great starting point/ refresher for me.

19 minutes ago, Gwendly said:

Is there a trailer out there somewhere? Tried searching on Youtube but due to the name you end up with a lot of well baking videos 1f61b.png

I will post one in the coming days, thanks for your interest :)

Nothing wrong with checking out a few baking vids by accident haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, breathofwater said:

Hey, cool to see you here in the forums :) Trophy hunters can be a little, umm expressive about pretty much every game on PlayStation so hopefully initial feedback wasn't too crazy haha

Some feedback from me is I'd usually recommend getting information about your game out there at least a few weeks before it releases - whether that means making a trailer, or gameplay, or a site for it (And getting it to show up on Google well as there is no text on your site that says "Perils of Baking, PS4" which makes it to where it doesn't appear on search engines). I'm the person on the site that typically scouts out pictures/art of these games to represent them on the site and while I'm usually good at finding stuff like this, even I had no luck finding anything for the game until you posted a link to your site.

Basically, getting stuff out there makes your game more known as information released for it and more people won't ignore it or forget about it if they have a visual of the game, which is a good thing! :P 

Edited by BlindMango

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

Some feedback from me is I'd usually recommend getting information about your game out there at least a few weeks before it releases - whether that means making a trailer, or gameplay, or a site for it (And getting it to show up on Google well as there is no text on your site that says "Perils of Baking, PS4" which makes it to where it doesn't appear on search engines). I'm the person on the site that typically scouts out pictures/art of these games to represent them on the site and while I'm usually good at finding stuff like this, even I had no luck finding anything for the game until you posted a link to your site.

I am going to have to update that website haha. I didn't really plan out this part of the game's release.

I have just been focused on making the game and then getting everything set with PS.

Before this game even, I always wondered where the art came from that is the banner when looking at the trophy lists and whatnot.

I thought perhaps it automatically pulled it from the game's splash screen or trophy screen or something.

I had no idea that was someone going to the effort of finding art for each game.

Time's the revelator

Thanks for doing that for my game (and others)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

It offends people who know that 1488 is an obvious Hitler/racist/white supremacy reference, since you asked and I’m sure you just no idea about that!!

Thanks for calling me a racist you pathetic excuse for a human being. I find that thoroughly EXTREMELY offensive! Being Jewish and a registered member of the Labour Party wouldn’t make me a very good Nazi would it?! Both of my grandfathers fought the Nazi’s in WW2, and I am very proud of them.

Being sad and narrow minded as you clearly are, you’ve judged me based on a name rather than knowing me (much like the racists you are trying to lambast). Seeing as you are ignorant (and will probably need to google the meaning of lambast), let me enlighten you. The 1488 in my PlayStation name, is in reference in the 1488 Treason Act of England which outlawed the counterfeiting of coins and money orders in England and Scotland, which was greatly beneficial to my family as they were silversmiths. It was significant to us for generations, and it was something I was/am proud of. I wasn’t aware that 1488 was some sort of symbol of hate. 

Thanks for mocking me though.

Back to baking related games, when I was younger I loved playing a computer game at my friend's daycare where you could walk around the kitchen and gather ingredients to bake things. I think it'll be hard to get an interesting baking game for grown-ups to be good without adding time management to it, but if it happened I think there would be a decent market for it.