How doable is this game?

AJ_Radio

I have Knack through PS Plus and it’s been a game I’ve kept my eye on for a while. 

Though I tend to hear it’s one of the worst PS4 exclusives, it’s frustrating, it’s cheap, it’s tedious, etc etc.

Seems that part of the game falls down to luck due to having to farm crystals from chests.

How doable is this game to platinum?

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the game. It's not worth it's reputation, it's at worst mediocre and simple. But it was sold as a simple game from the onset so I don't feel you can criticize it for being what they always said it would be. Despite that it offers a challenge if you go head first into the higher difficulties without a crystal Knack to make it easier.

Getting the platinum not so much fun since getting diamonds is garbage in this one and is tedious as hell, the best method to do it is to force close the game at every chest until you get a diamond, which means running through the level up to the chest every time until you get what you need. For some reason crystals just keep pouring out even after you unlock the skin for it. And Diamonds can't be obtained through friends. So the only way is RNG.

Been awhile, but I think it took me like 3 playthroughs to finally get all the diamonds I needed. (some chests take so long to get to from a checkpoint that it's not worth retrying them)

Knack 2 is a better game and one I'd recommend over 1 all day any day.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The game sucks real bad. It isn't necessarily a tough platinum... but it will require at least 2-3 playthroughs. Like others have mentioned, the worst part by FAR is grinding the relics.

I don't mind plats that require grinding, but this game is just not very fun, so the grinding is especially brutal.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, Spaz said:

I have Knack through PS Plus and it’s been a game I’ve kept my eye on for a while. 

Though I tend to hear it’s one of the worst PS4 exclusives, it’s frustrating, it’s cheap, it’s tedious, etc etc.

Seems that part of the game falls down to luck due to having to farm crystals from chests.

How doable is this game to platinum?

16 minutes ago, MIKEY-L-666 said:

Still got this to try, had no idea it had RNG crap.  Yes it can stay on the backlog better games to play by the shed load!

Better to just skip to the sequel, a far better game...though repetitive. 

• Like 1

As someone who sat through the hell of going for the platinum of this game, I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone given it's repetitive nature and just how tedious, boring and frustrating it gets especially on the Very Hard difficulty.

However it's... doable if your sanity allows for it because trust me, this game will bite at it.
Luckily, the second game improved A LOT over the first one and I kinda played that one first so my entire Knack 1 playthrough was even worse for me but hey you're going for the first one here.
I'd say, try it out and see what you think for yourself.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread. I plan to start Knack this coming year. 

Difficulty wise this doesn’t look bad, though some places have checkpoints that are spread too far apart. 

Depending on RNG it sounds like I’ll either have to do a few playthroughs or do multiple playthroughs.

14 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Difficulty wise this doesn’t look bad, though some places have checkpoints that are spread too far apart. 

Depending on RNG it sounds like I’ll either have to do a few playthroughs or do multiple playthroughs.

Plan for three playthroughs at minimum. The first should be on Hard, trying to find all the chests and make all the gadgets. Second on Very hard, fingers s crossed you knock out Diamond Knack, otherwise all the other Knacks. Third should be on Hard (seems to have higher % of diamonds found) finishing up any trophies you haven’t got yet. And you’ll knock most out during typical play throughs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Cool bro we can be Knack buddies. I’ve had this game in the backlog forever and honestly keep forgetting I even own it… People’s opinions and experiences with the game just seem so wildly different that I’ve had a hard time even getting interested in it tbh. It sounds like Knack 2 is a way better game and overall experience.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, dieselmanchild said:

Cool bro we can be Knack buddies. I’ve had this game in the backlog forever and honestly keep forgetting I even own it… People’s opinions and experiences with the game just seem so wildly different that I’ve had a hard time even getting interested in it tbh. It sounds like Knack 2 is a way better game and overall experience.

I'm FINALLY playing this game and I've just gotten my first few items. Looks like you can exchange with your friends still. I don't know when you're going to get around to playing this.

The complaints I'm hearing are mostly Hard difficulty and having to do multiple playthroughs to get everything that's largely based on RNG. Otherwise it's a Crash Bandicoot style platformer with beat em up elements.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm FINALLY playing this game and I've just gotten my first few items. Looks like you can exchange with your friends still. I don't know when you're going to get around to playing this.

The complaints I'm hearing are mostly Hard difficulty and having to do multiple playthroughs to get everything that's largely based on RNG. Otherwise it's a Crash Bandicoot style platformer with beat em up elements.

Exactly.
The game and characters are very charming and there are a couple ideas others games can use.
The platinum is another story,  its not really that hard but some RGN elements make 2 trophies very tedious.

I played it at launch and there was a mobile app that allowed you to get gems/crystals for doing... something... I can't remember what it was. But basically using the app allowed you to knock down a lot of the tedious RNG aspect. I wonder if the mobile app is still available. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iamthedotcom said:

I played it at launch and there was a mobile app that allowed you to get gems/crystals for doing... something... I can't remember what it was. But basically using the app allowed you to knock down a lot of the tedious RNG aspect. I wonder if the mobile app is still available. 

Mobile app ceased functioning in 2018. However with friends you can get other gadgets or relics if you’re not satisfied with the gadget/relic you got. 

Diamonds are complete RNG, are very rare and cannot be obtained thru Knack friends.

EDIT: Actually I don’t know how diamonds work, but quitting out to XMB when you’re at chests seems to save a lot of time. 

Edited by AJ_Radio

On 2022-07-21 at 4:30 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I keep forgetting I have this game. To be honest it’s not super high on my priorities right now but I’ve had this one for so long now that I should just dive in one of these days. I have seen the complaints and it looks like it requires some patience and perseverance at times but nothing too bad. Let me know how it goes and what you think!

4 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I keep forgetting I have this game. To be honest it’s not super high on my priorities right now but I’ve had this one for so long now that I should just dive in one of these days. I have seen the complaints and it looks like it requires some patience and perseverance at times but nothing too bad. Let me know how it goes and what you think!

The game is cheap, especially on Hard and Very Hard difficulties. Enemies are unforgiving and attack fast. Don’t try to always hit them first. 

Then there’s the relic farming. You have to spend multiple playthroughs to get all the gadgets and relics. The diamonds I farmed at specific chests, because this game will only save at the beginning of a chapter, not midway or towards the end. 

The time trials and gladiator arenas are easy with Diamond Knack. He’s also highly recommended for your Hard and Very Hard playthroughs. It’s unlocking him that’s a pain in the ass. 

Complete RNG for those diamonds. I had to spend a hour each on a couple diamonds using the ‘quit to XMB’ farming method. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The game is cheap, especially on Hard and Very Hard difficulties. Enemies are unforgiving and attack fast. Don’t try to always hit them first. 

Then there’s the relic farming. You have to spend multiple playthroughs to get all the gadgets and relics. The diamonds I farmed at specific chests, because this game will only save at the beginning of a chapter, not midway or towards the end. 

The time trials and gladiator arenas are easy with Diamond Knack. He’s also highly recommended for your Hard and Very Hard playthroughs. It’s unlocking him that’s a pain in the ass. 

Complete RNG for those diamonds. I had to spend a hour each on a couple diamonds using the ‘quit to XMB’ farming method. 

Appreciate the information AJ. Good luck with the platinum!