What's your opinion on dropping games you aren't really enjoying?

Kaiten_the_Hero

Hey everyone, just a thought I've been having lately; what are your opinions on stopping a game you may not be enjoying?
Personally, I usually at least TRY and finish the main game - maybe don't bother with Trophies as much, but I try my best to stay the course. 

More often than not however, there is something that won't allow me to stop playing regardless, I feel compelled to see it through, like I feel awkward stopping a game I haven't at least finished. Is this something that anyone else experiences or are you not fussed about stopping games early?  

• Like 1

I actually would simply drop it and go play something that I enjoy (or sometimes I'm enjoying a game, but decide to try another, and end up liking more of the newer game and drop the one I was playing at the start), then eventually I decide that's time to clear son's backlog and go back to those games.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I actually would simply drop it and go play something that I enjoy (or sometimes I'm enjoying a game, but decide to try another, and end up liking more of the newer game and drop the one I was playing at the start), then eventually I decide that's time to clear son's backlog and go back to those games.. 

Yeah I can understand that, personally I can usually only play 1 game at a time, unless one game is Trophy cleanup. I find sometimes that I'll reinstall a game countless times, but still not get BACK into it. Guess I'm weird ha

• Like 1

It really depends for me.

I hated Asura's Wrath when it came to the gameplay. However, I liked the mythology aspect of it, and I disliked Asura himself. The plat was easy enough to get so I just did.

Games like FFX and Arkham City I only played through for the story. I'm sure if I tried I could get more trophies, but the games just weren't enough to hold me past the story. I did try for some of the FFX stuff but found they just weren't even a fun challenge.

Then there's IL-II Sturmovik and Port Royale 3. Didn't enjoy anything about them and ended up just dropping them.

Let's not forget about the bane of my existence. Drakengard motherfucking 3. The only game I can recall where I want to finish the story but the last boss stops me. I had to drop this game otherwise I'd still be playing and would be 100 plats behind lol.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 3

Just now, BG_painter said:

It's not worth playing if you are not enjoying, I played everybody's going to the rapture and i h8ed myself for it. The game is a boring piece of shit, i'm never trusting trailers with "prizes" for games again after that.  Time is precious, use it to have fun!

Oh my god, thank you. 
That game ruined me! Its nice the first time around, but unless you don't wanna go in blind, you're bound to miss something, and going back through it, oof, took a long while hah
That is good advice!

• Like 1

Before trophy hunting, I was much more casual about starting and stopping games. It wasn't usually mid-way though. It was like, if I didn't like it after an hour, that was the end. Even now, my profile is sloppier than most. So I don't really care about completing everything all the time. As a trophy hunter, I usually give a game a good shot and try to finish at least the story mode and/or get trophies to rank A before moving on. I have a lot of clean up left from old games on my profile to do.I had probably 100+ unfinished games on my profile when I decided to start trophy hunting and a completion rate around 12-13%. Also, I will have several games going at once and just because I haven't popped a trophy in a while, doesn't mean that mentally I've checked out or uninstalled it from my PS4. It just means something is taking a priority for some reason (usually related to PSNP community events or borrowing stuff from friends). 100% is out of reach for me unless I want to put a lot of time into things I don't enjoy. This is the crux of your question. I decided that it wasn't worth the struggle for me to have a perfect profile. I do still want to have a good profile, so I am working on it. I think an 80%+ profile is possible. 

• Like 4

Just now, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I hated Asura's Wrath when it came to the gameplay. However, I liked the mythology aspect of it, and I disliked Asura himself. The plat was easy enough to get so I just did.

Games like FFX and Arkham City I only played through for the story. I'm sure if I tried I could get more trophies, but the games just weren't enough to hold me past the story. I did try for some of the FFX stuff but found they just weren't even a fun challenge.

The there's IL-II Sturmovik and Port Royale 3. Didn't enjoy anything about them and ended up just dropping them.

Let's not forget about the bane of my existence. Drakengard motherfucking 3. The only game I can recall where I want to finish the story but the last boss stops me. I had to drop this game otherwise I'd still be playing and would be 100 plats behind lol.

Oh crikey, never actually played Asura's Wrath as far as I recall, something did seem off with the gameplay from what I could tell. Nice plat though! :)
I get you, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan but some of the games I just can't do anything but the story, some are VERY tedious. 

Oh that must have been horrible, hate it when you get so close. I think I'd burst into flames if that happened with me ha

2 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

Before trophy hunting, I was much more casual about starting and stopping games. It wasn't usually mid-way though. It was like, if I didn't like it after an hour, that was the end. Even now, my profile is sloppier than most. So I don't really care about completing everything all the time. As a trophy hunter, I usually give a game a good shot and try to finish at least the story mode and/or get trophies to rank A before moving on. I have a lot of clean up left from old games on my profile to do.I had probably 100+ unfinished games on my profile when I decided to start trophy hunting and a completion rate around 12-13%. Also, I will have several games going at once and just because I haven't popped a trophy in a while, doesn't mean that mentally I've checked out or uninstalled it from my PS4. It just means something is taking a priority for some reason (usually related to PSNP community events or borrowing stuff from friends). 100% is out of reach for me unless I want to put a lot of time into things I don't enjoy. This is the crux of your question. I decided that it wasn't worth the struggle for me to have a perfect profile. I do still want to have a good profile, so I am working on it. I think an 80%+ profile is possible. 

I understand that, I've been obsessed with Trophies since the early days of Ps3 (when they were introduced) and especially the last couple of years, I've definitely tried my best with a lot more games to get as good a percentage as possible but I usually go for 20% and above, (sounds pathetic compared to some people on here but hey ho xD) and I'm happy with it. The problem comes with, as you said, "unless you want to put a lot of time into things you don't enjoy" - I get to involved with the Trophy collecting and I've some very questionable games just to keep the Trophy popping sound regular but my god is it bad when you're not having a great time. 

Definitely, do what you feel is right for you, and good luck with that, it'd take a mini-miracle for me to attempt that! :P 

6 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The there's IL-II Sturmovik and Port Royale 3. Didn't enjoy anything about them and ended up just dropping them.

Sometimes it's nuanced, yes. I stoped playing soul calibur lost swords cause i couldnt bear reading menus anymore, lol, and i stopped uncharted 3 because the camera was making me dizzy, and some i gave up because it was too dificult and i dont commit that much :giggle: Maybe someday i'll go back to the hard ones.

8 minutes ago, AlexJones_Bankai said:

Oh my god, thank you. 
That game ruined me! Its nice the first time around, but unless you don't wanna go in blind, you're bound to miss something, and going back through it, oof, took a long while hah
That is good advice!

yeah right :D ?

• Like 1

I'd say is for the better, even if you feel compelled to finish it. If you are not enjoying the game at all, then there is little to no reason to continue playing it. I usually play 2-4 games at a time and switch back and forth between them in order to not get bored by doing the same thing on just one game. Something I would recommend though, is to never do multiple RPGs at the same time. Most games in that genre are known for having grindy trophies and doing a number of them at the same time can quickly turn any gaming session into a snooze fest. I recently dropped Cross Edge for this reason and decided to focus on Tales of Symphonia, because I found this last one to be more enjoyable.

I will pick the other one later down the road but, right now, it was better for me to just drop it for awhile and get to enjoy something else in the meantime. It does help to clear your mind too :o

So long as you give the game a good chance then I think it's fine. I've played games before that didn't particularly grab me in the first hour or two but picked up later on. It really depends on what kind of game it is, though. Getting a good grasp of what the game is about and what you're in-store for if you keep playing varies from game to game. Also, sometimes not enjoying something might be less about the game itself and more about what kind of mood you're in, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

As for me personally, I don't even remember the last time I played a game that I didn't enjoy in some way - I'm very picky about what I play these days. If for some reason I did find myself playing a game I didn't like in the future, though, I'd probably still go through with getting the plat/100% in that game just because that's the kind of trophy hunter I am. If I leave a game unfinished on my profile, it would bother me every time I see it and I would get the urge to go back, but getting 100% completion in the game would allow me to move on so I don't ever have to think about it again.

• Like 1

Sometimes I continue playing if I don't enjoy them at the start, and simply have to get used it, but if I don't enjoy it after a while, I'll stop. I'd rather spend my time on something I enjoy than something I spent money on and don't enjoy.

The way I see it is -- A game you don't like = wasted money. Continuing to play a game you don't enjoy = wasted money + wasted time.

Edited by SunnyCrappyYT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnathan994 said:

Most often I just stop and hide the trophy list in shame :D

Ha, never thought of hiding things I don't have good percentage on... hhmm xD

7 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

I'd say is for the better, even if you feel compelled to finish it. If you are not enjoying the game at all, then there is little to no reason to continue playing it. I usually play 2-4 games at a time and switch back and forth between them in order to not get bored by doing the same thing on just one game. Something I would recommend though, is to never do multiple RPGs at the same time. Most games in that genre are known for having grindy trophies and doing a number of them at the same time can quickly turn any gaming session into a snooze fest. I recently dropped Cross Edge for this reason and decided to focus on Tales of Symphonia, because I found this last one to be more enjoyable.

I will pick the other one later down the road but, right now, it was better for me to just drop it for awhile and get to enjoy something else in the meantime. It does help to clear your mind too :o

Oh Cross Edge, wow, I played the hell out of that on my old Account, yeah some trophies are horrible in RPGs, yet I always go back for more xD Glutton for punishment. 
I do agree though, some games just aren't worth the time if you aren't having a good time playing them!

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So long as you give the game a good chance then I think it's fine. I've played games before that didn't particularly grab me in the first hour or two but picked up later on. It really depends on what kind of game it is, though. Getting a good grasp of what the game is about and what you're in-store for if you keep playing varies from game to game. Also, sometimes not enjoying something might be less about the game itself and more about what kind of mood you're in, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

As for me personally, I don't even remember the last time I played a game that I didn't enjoy in some way - I'm very picky about what I play these days. If for some reason I did find myself playing a game I didn't like in the future, though, I'd probably still go through with getting the plat/100% in that game just because that's the kind of trophy hunter I am. If I leave a game unfinished on my profile, it would bother me every time I see it and I would get the urge to go back, but getting 100% completion in the game would allow me to move on so I don't ever have to think about it again.

Hhm, didn't consider mood effecting judgement, I try and get a good few hours in usually so I guess that's a decent amount of time to decide?

See I'm not picky at all, I'll try anything once, but some games I just can't get invested in. I can understand what you mean about the 100% thing, can imagine that'd be very annoying!

• Like 1

I think every game deserves at least a second chance. It’s ok to drop a game you’re not feeling atm but you might have a different mindset later. If it’s a game with some story I think it’s best to try to finish that up (unless you hate it from the first 5 minutes on).

At first I didn’t like FFXIII and Bioshock so I just finished the story and moved on. Some time later I went back to clean them up and enjoyed them greatly (so much so that I got the sequels for both).

5 minutes ago, Roxas said:

I'd drop it and move on to the next one if I am really not enjoying it. I'd rather play games I enjoy then continue to play a bad one.

That makes perfect sense, I'm not really sure why its so hard to drop for me, its not exactly a difficult task ha
I think the problem I have is that I usually end up re-installing the game like a year later and finding more to like about it, its odd but maybe it works, kinda? :o

2 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Sometimes I continue playing if I don't enjoy them at the start, and simply have to get used it, but if I don't enjoy it after a while, I'll stop. I'd rather spend my time on something I enjoy than something I spent money on and don't enjoy.

Yeah money's a big factor as well, got back into work at the tail end of last year and I've just been buying loads, which is possibly why I'm recently finding more games I don't have a likeness to, really hah

Do you ever hold on to them JUST in case or do you trade/sell them straight away? I tend to hold on a little bit, which I guess hurts the money I'd get back too.

Just now, AlexJones_Bankai said:

Do you ever hold on to them JUST in case or do you trade/sell them straight away? I tend to hold on a little bit, which I guess hurts the money I'd get back too.

I'm usually too lazy to sell them right away, so when I finally end up doing so I won't get a lot in return, but that's my own fault. :P 

1 minute ago, DizzyDavidson said:

I think every game deserves at least a second chance. It’s ok to drop a game you’re not feeling atm but you might have a different mindset later. If it’s a game with some story I think it’s best to try to finish that up (unless you hate it from the first 5 minutes on).

At first I didn’t like FFXIII and Bioshock so I just finished the story and moved on. Some time later I went back to clean them up and enjoyed them greatly (so much so that I got the sequels for both).

Oh I agree with that, I usually end up reinstalling games a while afterwards and finding more things to like, its a very strange thing for me. I hated Bloodborne when I first tried it... 3 years back (roughly) but now its one of my favourite games. 

1 minute ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I'm usually too lazy to sell them right away, so when I finally end up doing so I won't get a lot in return, but that's my own fault. :P 

Ah I feel you, I'm a pain in the ass most of the time xD
Sometimes it isn't so bad since the game might have only been out a few weeks/months so its not SUCH a big deal, but like with Mafia III, I've reinstalled it... 4 times now, and I know I won't play it, yet its still sitting there, on my desk. Its worth like £3 now in trade-in stores :P