PlayStation3: Is 'playing online' over?

McFeipel

17 minutes ago, BlackJudas77 said:

Why does this topic keep coming up?  I feel that it's impossible to predict and that you just need to use google tbh.  No, there's no fact stating everything is about to go down...

I wanna downvote you so bad... but I keep forgetting this isn't reddit.

The funny thing is, this site's forum design has the option to include a down-vote button, they just didn't include it for obvious reasons as it promotes further hostility in threads. But I'm not sure what this guy is trying to get at with his original thread. All I'll say is that you can't know whether PSN for the PS3 console will go down, but all of Sony's games that aren't peer to peer and run on PS3 won't last until 2020. All I know is that if PSN for PS3 gets shut down and the only thing we're told is "you can use PS Now to access your old games for a fee", then I will leave PSN behind eternally and not look back. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sergen said:

The funny thing is, this site's forum design has the option to include a down-vote button, they just didn't include it for obvious reasons as it promotes further hostility in threads. But I'm not sure what this guy is trying to get at with his original thread. All I'll say is that you can't know whether PSN for the PS3 console will go down, but all of Sony's games that aren't peer to peer and run on PS3 won't last until 2020. All I know is that if PSN for PS3 gets shut down and the only thing we're told is "you can use PS Now to access your old games for a fee", then I will leave PSN behind eternally and not look back. 

Well if they did do that I bet a lot of people myself as well would leave it too, I mean with how sony is nowadays I could see them doing this as they have their head so far up their own ass I bet they think cherries still sing.

• Like 2

The only hope is that PSN for ps3, ps4, and Vita is intertwined and therefore cannot be shut just for one console (PSN for the PSP is still up which is a good sign of this, I hope).

If PSN can be shut down individually then they probably will shut it for PS3 within 3-5 years as Sony are easily a top 3 greedy company in gaming who just do not care about anything other than their income going up and up each quarter. The higher it gets, the more greedy they get. 

The only reason it hasn't shut yet is probably because of people's content they've purchased for PS3 via the PSN Store becoming completely useless.

I hope the former is the case though.

Edited by Potent_Delusions
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BlackJudas77 said:

Why does this topic keep coming up?  I feel that it's impossible to predict and that you just need to use google tbh.  No, there's no fact stating everything is about to go down...

I wanna downvote you so bad... but I keep forgetting this isn't reddit.

As you said 'use google', which I did, didn't help me out because out of searching google for answers, I got the prediction that Sony will shut down PS3 servers, not necessary PSN. So your advice didn't help.

Then the other reason I post this question here is that I thought here I would get an answer because people here might know it or heard about it because it will affect their trophy hunting. Then the first time I ask something here I get hate from someone like you and with no answer at all. Well at least thank you for your answer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, McFeipel said:

As you said 'use google', which I did, didn't help me out because out of searching google for answers, I got the prediction that Sony will shut down PS3 servers, not necessary PSN. So your advice didn't help.

Then the other reason I post this question here is that I thought here I would get an answer because people here might know it or heard about it because it will affect their trophy hunting. Then the first time I ask something here I get hate from someone like you and with no answer at all. Well at least thank you for your answer.

PSN on the PS3 ain't going anywhere any time soon dude.

Individual games, who knows, it's game by game really. 

A lot of games got affected by the shutdown of Game Spy a few years back, and some, like GTA IV, managed to come back on new servers. With that in mind, games coming back from the dead isn't an entirely unheard of thing either. Basically anything relatively big, that still draws relatively big numbers, like the aforementioned GTA, and other things like COD and whatnot (played MW3 the other day and it got into a game within 10 seconds), should still be up for a good while, but really, as the PS5 looms ever closer, it's only a matter of time for a lot of games. Play while you can, really.

But as for the PSN as a whole, no, it's not going anywhere any time soon, and until such a time Sony actually goes bankrupt and isn't just in the financial trouble they always seem to be in, I'd say you'll be safe for many years to come.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arin1979 said:

I think what he asks is if he closes all the PS3 online by SONY, not only if they close servers of one or another game.

I mean the servers to play on. I'm not asking about PSN. I know games individual can shut down servers but I wonder if Sony can shut down all PS3 game servers. I don't know. Might be a stupid question of mine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, McFeipel said:

I mean the servers to play on. I'm not asking about PSN. I know games individual can shut down servers but I wonder if Sony can shut down all PS3 game servers. I don't know. Might be a stupid question of mine.

They can't shutdown servers for game they don't own any rights. Basically, any game that isn't made by Sony or sponsored by Sony, it's up to each individual developers/publishers to keep them going or not. At least, most of ps3 games use p2p connections, so they don't have a server so to speak.

But if you're worried about losing the opportunity to get some online trophies, look at the links @FilmFanatic provided. And it's best to start soon than to start late. I'm getting all online trophies for any 1st party games ASAP, just to be sure.

The good news is: There is a wave of reviving old servers, such as the Bulletstorm GONESPY servers and Demon's Souls new servers.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno
Missed a huge lot because pressed enter mistakenly LOL
  • Like 1

Go ask the "IT experts" at GameF**ks. No seriously i think the PSN is intertwined, too. There's just too much content to justify a shutdown. There are thousands and thousands of things between games, avatars, themes, DLC, apps and so on... one can say "b-but Xbox 1 servers" well now times are different.

There are still several third-party PS3 games with online features (i.e. just the leaderboards) working well as of today.

Edited by Lance_87

I get the concern for servers for PS3 games and am trying to focus on the ones I want to get done but in all honesty it seems PS4 servers for online games are more tenuous as they keep getting shut down after a far shorter operation cycle. Maybe it's the mindset in current gen that the reason to have online is the operation of a game oriented marketplace and once the owners realize that the marketplace for a particular game is failing to bring in all the money then it's time to close up shop. Games like Tomorrow Children, Evolve, Kill Strain, Marvel Heroes (yeah, there were extenuating circumstances in that case) and the announced shutdown of Happy Dungeons. Those are all games involving marketplaces of possible small item purchases which seemingly weren't validating their continuing operation. I'd almost be more concerned about having unfinished PS4 games of this variety on your profile.

Dude, PS3 servers aren't shutting down anytime soon. Yah there's been quite a few PS3 games from 2009-2012 that have been getting recently shutdown. That's because servers aren't stable enough. Demon Souls and Killzone 2 needed a shutdown, they were so shitty now. Some games like Killzone 3, Crysis and Motorstorm along with wipeout and DC online got shutdown this year because of they don't have as many players as they use too. That doesn't mean PSN is dead on Ps3. I can play Mortal Kombat, MW3, Burnout Paradise and Uncharted games online on PS3. Relax, it's 2018. We still got time left. Enjoy the games while you still can.

• Like 1

Must've been extra bitchy that day.  Perhaps it was due to the idiots that sign up for Gaming Sessions.

PS3 is here for at least another couple of years, perhaps more.  As everyone else said, servers are tied to the publishers/developers and can shut down at will.  Sony's being really shitty lately, so if you want trophies in MP, do Sony games first =/

• Like 2

As long as PS3 is still turning a profit they won’t shut down its services like PS Store or PSN, if those services are still making them money that is. 

PS Now has probably started losing money on Vita and PS3 and that’s why they shutdown that services, this will keep happening until each and every services is losing money for Sony. Then you’ll see the end of the console generation entirely. 

I could be wrong but why would any company stop a product that makes them enough profit to operate it and see good revenue with almost no effort! 

10 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

As long as PS3 is still turning a profit they won’t shut down its services like PS Store or PSN, if those services are still making them money that is. 

PS Now has probably started losing money on Vita and PS3 and that’s why they shutdown that services, this will keep happening until each and every services is losing money for Sony. Then you’ll see the end of the console generation entirely. 

I could be wrong but why would any company stop a product that makes them enough profit to operate it and see good revenue with almost no effort! 

You're talking about a company that doesn't know how to implement a simple sort or search on your download list.  Feel free to speculate, but at this point I'm convinced Sony as a whole is mentally handicapped.

17 hours ago, BlackJudas77 said:

You're talking about a company that doesn't know how to implement a simple sort or search on your download list.  Feel free to speculate, but at this point I'm convinced Sony as a whole is mentally handicapped.

They can't even fix a download queue for older systems... :(

18 hours ago, BlackJudas77 said:

They know and they have it coming in update 6.0 apparently. Sony is like every other company, trying to make a lot of money and whatever still turns a profit for them is good enough. 

4 hours ago, Soufwar said:

They know and they have it coming in update 6.0 apparently. Sony is like every other company, trying to make a lot of money and whatever still turns a profit for them is good enough. 

I doubt they will fix it.  Support just ignored my post when I brought it up to them that the download queues no longer work. 

1 hour ago, LepreCon1991 said:

Does much in the way of general online gaming happen on PS3 still or is it usually only game sessions organised on here?

Depends on the game. Many games still have active online communities and an equal amount are completely dead. Some games, like Helldivers, have cross-online with PS4 so those are usually the most active. 

• Like 1