77 on Metacritic????

linkdevivo

6 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

Pretty sad this is the case. IGN gave it a 9/10 and said it was amazing, though. I pre-ordered so i'm playing anyway, but it sucks that it had mixed reviews. "I mean yeah reviews shouldn't matter but they do and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. The normal gamer looks at reviews before spending money on a game" so bad reviews lead to weaker sales, leads to less probability of the publisher paying a developer for another game. Developers even get bonuses based on their game's metacritic number.

Will this affect your purchase decision?

I'll kick this off by saying I'm still in need of starting Rise of the Tomb Raider, let alone Shadow but I'm getting round to it.

The problem i have here, without getting argumentative is that you presume too much. Based off the text I've highlighted above you seem to care about what reviews say.

Let me summarize this for you - reviews for anything, literally anything is personal taste of the individual/individuals testing the product. For instance I love mushroom topping on a pizza, rant and rave about how good it is, but then you could review the same pizza, same topping and literally hate it, who do customers believe? Even if that example is vague, scour the forums here, theirs always someone making a "This game is terrible" thread to be lambasted by people who loved the game.

So as you can see clearly reviews are nothing but personal preference by the person(s) trying said product.

Should we listen to said people? Hell that's choice of the consumer, some people take what IGN say as gospel, others (like myself) make informed decisions based on a huge factor of things from gameplay to characters to if we liked a previous game the Dev released. Red Dead Redemption 2 being the most obvious case, I loved RDR, the story, the setting, hell even the online, so I've pre ordered RDR2 -  so for arguments sake, If IGN or Metacritic gave it a 70, what is this actually based on? His opinion - Maybe he doesn't like westerns, maybe he can't get used to a new controller layout, maybe he hates the main protagonist, there's literally a ton of reasons a person can like/dislike something. This is what people like you don't understand, we're all unique, we all like different things. Again - some people like to be told what to play by reviews, others make their own informed choices

Just don't try to tell us we're kidding ourselves, eh?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Seriously though, last 2 games were shit can't imagine why this would be different. 

All the videos I've seen have an undercurrent of imperialist white savour complex game which I find disgusting as well. 

It's actually the exact opposite, Lara isn't some holy white saviour in this.

Also, the last games weren't shit, dunno where you got that from.

It's a little underwhelming, but I think I'll still enjoy it. Haven't bothered reading into reviews too much, but my best guess is that the game is a case of being a lot of the same. I've enjoyed the previous games enough to be okay with that. It's kinda like Far Cry. I don't expect much different from a new game, but I also know that it's a safe bet that I'll like it enough for it to be worth my time. So no, no real impact on my decision to play it at some point down the line.

6 hours ago, SyumiSan said:

So let me get this straight, you rather wager your OWN opinion based on SOMEONE ELSE'S? That is sadly the most idiotic thing I have ever seen. Honestly if you do go based on that, no wonder the gaming industry sucks. People go based on others instead of THEMSELVES.

Listen.. next time, before spitting out nonsense, READ. I already bought the game weeks ago. Was asking this site for the people who were on the fence on buying it if they'll purchase now that it has mixed reviews. Seems to me that an even more "idiotic" thing to do is insulting someone without even reading well enough to understand their opinion.

4 hours ago, Armored Squirrel said:

Nope. I don't care what reviews say. I liked the first two games, so I'll definitely like this one.

Yeah i'm on the same boat. I'm sure i'll enjoy getting this platinum. Can't wait.

3 hours ago, NinjaChibusa said:

I'll kick this off by saying I'm still in need of starting Rise of the Tomb Raider, let alone Shadow but I'm getting round to it.

The problem i have here, without getting argumentative is that you presume too much. Based off the text I've highlighted above you seem to care about what reviews say.

Let me summarize this for you - reviews for anything, literally anything is personal taste of the individual/individuals testing the product. For instance I love mushroom topping on a pizza, rant and rave about how good it is, but then you could review the same pizza, same topping and literally hate it, who do customers believe? Even if that example is vague, scour the forums here, theirs always someone making a "This game is terrible" thread to be lambasted by people who loved the game.

So as you can see clearly reviews are nothing but personal preference by the person(s) trying said product.

Should we listen to said people? Hell that's choice of the consumer, some people take what IGN say as gospel, others (like myself) make informed decisions based on a huge factor of things from gameplay to characters to if we liked a previous game the Dev released. Red Dead Redemption 2 being the most obvious case, I loved RDR, the story, the setting, hell even the online, so I've pre ordered RDR2 -  so for arguments sake, If IGN or Metacritic gave it a 70, what is this actually based on? His opinion - Maybe he doesn't like westerns, maybe he can't get used to a new controller layout, maybe he hates the main protagonist, there's literally a ton of reasons a person can like/dislike something. This is what people like you don't understand, we're all unique, we all like different things. Again - some people like to be told what to play by reviews, others make their own informed choices

Just don't try to tell us we're kidding ourselves, eh?

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to respond in disagreement in a respectful manner. Maybe it's my fault that I didn't get my point across in my original comment but what I meant is, the sales a game has, and the opportunity for more games from the same developer, more often than not, depend on review scores. So anyone who thinks that review don't matter, is kidding themselves. that's what i meant. I'm not debating that an opinion is subjective or that different people like different things, no one can deny that. What i'm saying is that this will hurt their sales, as there are a lot of people who won't buy the game because there's so much good stuff out there (market supply has never had this consistent stream of quantity and quality). Now, i ALREADY preordered as i had a blast getting the 2 platinums on the 2 games before this one so i'm sure itll be more of the same and i'll have a blast. We shouldn't care about review scores but let's be honest: people do. Maybe you personally don't (and i don't either as i've stated many times on this thread) but like i said in my original comment, bad reviews hinder sales, therefore the majority of people buy games based on reviews.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to respond in disagreement in a respectful manner. Maybe it's my fault that I didn't get my point across in my original comment but what I meant is, the sales a game has, and the opportunity for more games from the same developer, more often than not, depend on review scores. So anyone who thinks that review don't matter, is kidding themselves. that's what i meant. I'm not debating that an opinion is subjective or that different people like different things, no one can deny that. What i'm saying is that this will hurt their sales, as there are a lot of people who won't buy the game because there's so much good stuff out there (market supply has never had this consistent stream of quantity and quality). Now, i ALREADY preordered as i had a blast getting the 2 platinums on the 2 games before this one so i'm sure itll be more of the same and i'll have a blast. We shouldn't care about review scores but let's be honest: people do. Maybe you personally don't (and i don't either as i've stated many times on this thread) but like i said in my original comment, bad reviews hinder sales, therefore the majority of people buy games based on reviews.

I will take fault for not properly understanding what you were getting at.

No, no i completely get what you're saying about sales being hurt by bad reviews and i do agree - It hurts the IP, the devs and the industry as a whole. Again, I will never understand why people flock to IGN or Meta Critic and take what they say as gospel, just hope it doesn't hurt the sales of the game too much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NinjaChibusa said:

No, no i completely get what you're saying about sales being hurt by bad reviews and i do agree - It hurts the IP, the devs and the industry as a whole. Again, I will never understand why people flock to IGN or Meta Critic and take what they say as gospel, just hope it doesn't hurt the sales of the game too much.

I agree my friend :highfive:

• Like 3

For this game specifically I said if it got anything less than 85 on metacritic, I will not buy it.

Not a fan of collectibles games and shitty multiplayer games .. I liked TR 2013 only because of how smooth the movement was.

I don't know if this site is run by staff from Sony and other gaming companies but reviews are not completely useless, it give you at least a general idea about the product you're going to pay for.

So yeah I respect the general opinion of others and Metacritic scores may turn me off from buying games I don't know much about or I don't like.

6 hours ago, Mefta7_Alfaraj said:

For this game specifically I said if it got anything less than 85 on metacritic, I will not buy it.

Not a fan of collectibles games and shitty multiplayer games .. I liked TR 2013 only because of how smooth the movement was.

I don't know if this site is run by staff from Sony and other gaming companies but reviews are not completely useless, it give you at least a general idea about the product you're going to pay for.

So yeah I respect the general opinion of others and Metacritic scores may turn me off from buying games I don't know much about or I don't like.

A deduction I like to exercise when reading a review, "I liked/disliked X because of <reason> therefore <result>". It's telling of how their cognition.

At the very least, I'm able to deduct the reviewers line of thought and taste from stuff like that, which would dictate whether it's seriously worth considering the whole review.

Edited by Eraezr

Honestly comes down to people who have played past games as. Did you like Tomb Raider (2013) or ROTR? If yes, you should enjoy SOTR as its more of the same with some improved aspects. If no, then chances are no. You will not enjoy it. If you haven't played them before, don't start at SOTR anyways. Buy the cheaper previous games in the rebooted trilogy first.

Many of the low scores are people just upset that it's more of the same. And on a number rating system that's hard to score as the game itself isn't bad, just you can play the previous games and get a similar experience. And imo, that is something that is a reason to critic, it's a valid reason to criticize. As people rip apart COD and sports games for this reason constantly. SOTR is nowhere near this in terms of same old same old, but it is something that needs to be brought up in a review. And some might view it as worse than others. People wanting more ROTR are going to love it, people wanting something new are going to dislike an otherwise solid game.

The more I have grown up, the more I realize the number review system is very very flawed. And its better to just talk about the game itself and see if that's something you are interested in playing or not.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Starlove- said:

I know right. Factoring in the opinion of people who review games into your own personal decision is really a wild idea and completely undermines one's autonomy. Just throw your money at it my dudes.

To be fair I used to take reviews to be gospel till I tried a few games that are generally hated and I actually liked em. So I don't pay attention anymore. Good times!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Maybe the game is genuinely mediocre and deserves near-yellow score?

How is 77 medioce though? It's more than three quarters on its way to absolute perfection.

Whoever wants their games to be above 95 before they buy them need to have their head examined thoroughly and have something done about whatever they find in there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

How is 77 medioce though? It's more than three quarters on its way to absolute perfection.

Your first encounter with gaming journalism? "Good" score starts with 80 and 100, or 10/10, doesn't mean absolute perfection. Mass Effect Andromeda, for example, is rated 72.

Consistent feedback as that its a good game that just didn't do anything new, with blander locations than Rise.   

Eventually, doing the same thing over and over will get people to lose interest.  I'll still get it, as like Far Cry 5 I think the formula is superb and where, for now, one more game like the others with a new story is enough.  However, for the next game they do really need to try and re-invent some things a bit. 

18 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

The normal gamer looks at reviews before spending money on a game so bad reviews lead to weaker sales, leads to less probability of the publisher paying a developer for another game. Developers even get bonuses based on their game's metacritic number.

Will this affect your purchase decision?

Well I don't. And I personaly don't know anyone who looks at a webpage like metacritic to decide if they buy a game or not.

bc the critics never ever meet my opinion. whe I see a critic page like this gives a very bad mark or even a mixed like 5/10 or something, and I love this game, it can't be interesting for me what this critics have to say. So I never do this.

I buy a game day one whe I love the franchise, like tomb raider. always.

If I dont know it or the IP is new, I watch a stream, play it beta or use youtube, but I try to avoid comments from the player or I mute the sound so I won't have to hear it. all I need is visuals of the gameplay, maybe the music or sometimes the graphic too.

I give a shit what someone else with a different opinion think about a game.

For me, I do think Metacritic is a valid way of vetting games, and I think people who think review scores don't matter shouldn't minimize it for those whom it helps.

I don't think people should EXCLUSIVELY look at reviews scores, but it does considerably formulate my opinion regarding whether I get a game on launch or wait.  Metacritic averages everything out and does take out anomalies, so the general reception you get back is pretty consistent and representative of the game's quality.  There are a few instances where I strongly disagree (for example, I think Wolfenstein 2: TNC is far weaker than TNO and TOB in almost every regard but got 10% higher), but I very rarely completely disagree with a score.   Unless its a series or game I'm emotionally invested in (so, Metro I'll get if its a 60 or 95%) if I am interested two standard AAA games, and one got an 85% and one got a 75%, I will probably get the one with less flaw, bugs, glitches or narrative miscues.      As such, I bought Spiderman and am waiting until I have no backlog to put up Shadow.   It's different when people have a bare minimum (i.e. will play anything 80+, but will never touch a 79- game.  That's just too black and white for me).

As someone who works 40 hours and is in grad school, my time is pretty valuable, so I don't want to waste it on a below-par game.  Metacritic removes a great degree of the bias, and helps inform based on the consensus themes > 1 persons rant or orgy of praise. 

9 minutes ago, Ai-ds_low said:

Well I don't. And I personaly don't know anyone who looks at a webpage like metacritic to decide if they buy a game or not.

bc the critics never ever meet my opinion. whe I see a critic page like this gives a very bad mark or even a mixed like 5/10 or something, and I love this game, it can't be interesting for me what this critics have to say. So I never do this.

This is admirable, but not really representative of most people.  I know a lot of people whose opinion is partially influenced by reviews, and thats not a bad thing.  It's okay to have an interest in something, but see objective flaws in a game from commercial reception and think "oh, ok well I'll hold off then".  Reviews (aside from cases of day one embargos) allow for consumers to receive information on the quality of their game before it comes out.  Why not use it? 

If its a series I adore (BioShock, Wolfenstein, Far Cry) etc. I agree I will still enjoy it more than the norm, because of my style and will get it anyway like you say. However I'd say though that the majority of people are reasonably impartial to the majority of the games that come out.  Most people I know would see a standard AAA and see whether its good or bad before buying.  If you've got a lot of disposable income, or take advantage of sales, I suppose this becomes less of an issue. 

Edited by phantomfear9494